Recommended software

re: VLC vs MPC-HC

I like MPC-HC's extras and customization over VLC, so I use that. VLC also does .jpg snapshots horribly compared to MPC-HC (at least from the last time I used it), so there's a big checkmark for MPC-HC there.

foobar2000 is one of the better music player out there. Loads of customization and not bloated to hell like iTunes is.
mIRC is a simple and very customizable IRC client. Has a few competitors like xchat, and they're good too.
CDisplay is one of the best comic/manga readers out there. Grab it if you read those a lot.

What other good torrent clients are there out there aside from uTorrent? New versions suck and I kinda don't want to resort to an older version, unless they're still the best torrent clients available.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The MPC vs VLC is just that VLC sucked for watching anime when I originally started using it, and I cannot be arsed into changing my ways. I'm too used to adjusting settings using MPC as opposed to VLC. Habit I suppose.

I use Winamp for most of my music needs except that I use my iTunes when loading music into my iPhone. Also I enjoy using SRS HD Audio to enhance my terrible tinny music output on my laptop although it does take time to adjust settings and the like to the optimal settings for your respective headphones/speakers.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What other good torrent clients are there out there aside from uTorrent? New versions suck and I kinda don't want to resort to an older version, unless they're still the best torrent clients available.
i'll again recommend deluge (BIG recommendation). if i knew how to move torrent statistics from one client to another, i'd be using deluge at this very moment, but idk how to import the stats from utorrent and i have yet to find out. EDIT: oh and it's worth mentioning that because utorrent is closed source, nobody knows how it writes the formats for its stats and resume files. so importing them to another client will pretty much always be a crapshoot. you could try to reverse engineer them, but that's just such a terrible terrible thing to force upon a human being

vuze exists, but it's one of the heaviest clients out there and it always has been; moreover it's built in java so it requires and has all the problems of the java virtual machine. if you're more interested in lightweight clients, this is not the one to be looking at

if you wanna do it the classy way, there's rtorrent, which is a command-line front end for the well known libtorrent library (upon which many open-source clients are based). i think it's unix only? there's a ton of style points for anything that's command line only in my books (props to umbreon dan for bringing up mutt, which is a command-line email client and one of the most powerful email clients that exists right now), but your mileage will probably vary lol

then there's q bittorrent which is heavily inspired by utorrent. it's basically utorrent, but written in qt so that it's cross platform off a single build. i don't think it has the force of mass to adopt all the random bs that's cropped up in more recent utorrent builds; in other words it's inspired by OLD utorrent (a good thing >_>)

and if you're on mac, transmission appears to be one of the dominant clients for that platform, by a pretty solid shot from what i know. i wouldn't consider it a big contender on windows though, and although transmission runs on linux systems, i don't think you're too likely to see it. most linux systems would probably be using rtorrent, deluge, ktorrent, etc that are developed primarily for a linux user base; transmission has always given off a mac feel imo.

you can probably find a lot of outliers, but i've focused on the big ones because they're the ones that have the most private tracker support. as i mentioned earlier, most private trackers use a client whitelist. this is because there are a lot of bittorrent clients that violate the bittorrent protocol. they lie to the server about how much data is being moved, they promote leech-heavy or hit-and-run tactics that damage the health of the torrent swarm, etc. private trackers take a lot of pride in the quality of the swarms they maintain so they in general do not take kindly to such bs. rather than find out which ones to block and allowing all others, it's easier to just pick a small pool of trusted ones and block everything else, seeing as a select few clients (utorrent, vuze, transmission) probably make up like 75% of the user base. thus you might find that a more niche client wouldn't be allowed on a private tracker, which is a strong argument in favor of using a popular client. (also note that if a client has the ability to change its user agent - the thing that lets a server identify what client it is - it'll almost instantly be blacklisted for circumventing the whitelist controls >_> not many clients actually do that in their release builds though.)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was recently gifted with a wifi only android tablet, knowing nothing about tablets is there any apps that everyone would suggest? Figure I should ask here since it is a software thread!

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I would say return if it wasn't a gift, but in that case Riptide GP is a cool game.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
a request: I'm looking for a program that can reassign the multimedia buttons on keyboards (specifically to skip tracks on a music player). I looked high and low for one but can't. Can anyone recommend a way of doing it?

alkinesthetase

^ keytweak can do a lot of that stuff, but as its manual notes, be advised that most multimedia buttons on keyboards make use of special key codes that are difficult to reconfigure in windows (the windows registry entry for reconfiguring keys is limited to 2-byte codes, iirc, and most of the special keys on the board are longer than that), so your desired behavior might not actually be possible

For any of you more knowledgeable about Foobar than myself, would you happen to know why my copy of the program won't display album art correctly? I embedded the respective album covers to my mp3 files using iTunes, yet they still won't show up on Foobar with the exception of the first file in my music folder on my computer. I am fairly confident that the art is properly embedded to each file because they show up correctly on VLC.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's better ways to get album art on foobar I'm pretty sure.

I think I use this to get album art but I could be completely wrong. It pulls album art from Last.FM

I think I use this to get album art but I could be completely wrong. It pulls album art from Last.FM
Coincidentally, I also found that site through Google earlier today. The only problem I had was not knowing what to do with the dll file that came with the download. Would you happen to know how to load it onto Foobar?

Matthew

Coincidentally, I also found that site through Google earlier today. The only problem I had was not knowing what to do with the dll file that came with the download. Would you happen to know how to load it onto Foobar?
Yeah, no problem.
Take the .dll file and put it into the components folder in foobar, it should be under C:\Program Files\foobar2000 but if you installed it elsewhere it will be where you installed it.

Restart foobar and then follow the instructions on the website where you got the .dll and it should work then :D

The component is kind of slow for my tastes and still doesn't excuse the fact that the already embedded album art doesn't load onto Foobar, but thanks for the help nonetheless.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti

ohmygodyes thanks!!! now to find a way to make foobar show album art without makin it look like im playin a puzzle game

Matthew

If you didn't read the comments doing:

Just Copy “$directory_path(%path%)\%album%” (without “) into the options for Albums. Its a variable which reads the path of the file currently playing and saves the image into the same folder as the played file!
To save all the album art!

cookie

is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^ keytweak can do a lot of that stuff, but as its manual notes, be advised that most multimedia buttons on keyboards make use of special key codes that are difficult to reconfigure in windows (the windows registry entry for reconfiguring keys is limited to 2-byte codes, iirc, and most of the special keys on the board are longer than that), so your desired behavior might not actually be possible
That program had the same problem all the others I downloaded did: they didn't recognise the special buttons so they couldn't be reconfigured. I do know the location of the registry entries controlling the actions of three of them but of course I don't know what values to change them to if I want them to skip tracks on a media player...

alkinesthetase

curious about that, cookie. what registry entries are there to change the special buttons? anyway you could try setting a random key to your desired function in keytweak or whatever, and then recording the value and applying it to the key in question

also
http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-becomes-ad-supported-to-rake-in-millions-120810
well HELLO DELUGE. there are simply too many competing free clients for me to be willing to put up with that, but considering utorrent's userbase, i can understand why this would look like a viable idea.

cookie

curious about that, cookie. what registry entries are there to change the special buttons? anyway you could try setting a random key to your desired function in keytweak or whatever, and then recording the value and applying it to the key in question

also
http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-becomes-ad-supported-to-rake-in-millions-120810
well HELLO DELUGE. there are simply too many competing free clients for me to be willing to put up with that, but considering utorrent's userbase, i can understand why this would look like a viable idea.
Hah, I thought of that but it seems that the registry values governing the regular key behaviours is in a different format to that of the special buttons, since the former is in the form of a bunch of binary digits or some shit and the latter has an entry like "shellexecute" or "association". I think I'm just going to reassign a few of the function buttons that I don't use. Cheers anyway.

i'm laughing my head off at the impassioned effort to make this sound like a positive change:
The next major change you will see is a fresh approach to creating a no-nonsense and free torrenting experience. You are all very familiar with how we have paid the bills so far. These new changes mark our next step towards finding that difficult balance between keeping our lights on and providing a positive user experience. This new build will display a featured torrent at the top of your torrent list. This featured torrent space will be used to offer a variety of different types of content. We are working towards bringing you offers that are relevant to you. This means films, games, music, software...basically anything that you will find interesting. We may not get it right on the first try but we will continue to improve our efforts based on your feedback.
i was actually not aware that utorrent is not open-source; i always assumed it was, because downloading illegal things with a program you can't trust seems like a very bad idea to me.

alkinesthetase

tbh i don't really blame utorrent... becoming the codebase for the official client of the bittorrent protocol was a big change for them and it brings on big things. for those who don't know, bittorrent - the official client maintained by bittorrent inc - was discarded in late 2006 (utorrent v 1.7 became bittorrent v 6.x) and in its place a renamed/rebranded version of utorrent was used. this coincided with bittorrent inc BUYING utorrent (so says wikipedia... i knew about the codebase merger but the buying out was news to me even now), and as we all know, things get complicated when money comes into the picture of free software development.

the fact is that utorrent is such a dominant client that most people aren't really going to care. i bet the userbase for vuze, qbittorrent, deluge, ktorrent, transmission and rtorrent combined is still smaller than utorrent's. ofc though for the people who've been using it since 2.x, it's not exactly gonna look like a step in the right direction

and yeah it's closed source which i admit is kind of weird. i've mostly been using it on the grounds of inertia - ie too lazy to change - but this is a bit too much for me to put up with any longer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)