Reduced Hax OU

Approved by Hollywood, OP partially recycled from Gen 5 No Haxmons thread by SpartanMalice
Reduced Hax OU

Ever play OU, and get annoyed by constant hax and luck based situations? Hydro Pump missing, Ice Beam freezing you, Air Slash flinching you, not a single Rock move being accurate, etc...

Well here in Reduced Hax OU, it does exactly what it says on the tin - Reduce Hax. So what exactly does this mean?
  • Accuracy of all moves has been multiplied by 1.1 and rounded up.
  • Critical hits can only happen when the attacker has a boosted crit rate.
  • Sleep will always last 2 turns.
  • Full Paralysis never occurs. Confusion and Infatuation instantly wear off.
  • Secondary Effects with 10% chance of occurring now have a 0% chance of occurring, (These moves are still affected by Sheer Force)
  • Secondary Effects with a >50% chance of occurring now have a 100% chance of occurring, (This only affects Charge Beam)
  • All other Secondary Effects have their chances reduced to 0.8x their old percentage. (so Scald has a 24% Burn chance, Zen Headbutt has a 16% Flinch chance, etc.)
  • 2-5 hit moves will have a 60% chance to hit 3 times, and a 40% chance to hit 4 times, (unless your ability is Skill Link)
  • Sand Veil, Snow Cloak, and Bright Powder are all banned.
  • King's Rock, Focus Band, Quick Claw, etc. will all fail to activate.
  • Because of these changes, Swagger will be unbanned. Otherwise, the normal OU Clauses and ban list is in effect.
This metagame is not yet playable, and is in need of coding.

If I missed any Hax that is in need of reduction, please say so below. Otherwise, feel free to discus how these changes might affect the OU metagame.
 
Last edited:
How does this affect Quick Claw? And what about infatuaton? I know both are very niche and bad, but they shouldn't be exempt. What about damage rolls, will they be changed at all?
 

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Since it could be argued that moves with high base power have a low accuracy as a risk/reward trade off, would it be worth investigating lowering the power of those moves as well?

Like if focus blast gets a 10% accuracy boost (to 77%), what about getting a 10% power reduction (to 108)?
 

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love how Hydro Miss, Stone Miss, and Fire Miss will be much more reliable now. Too bad Focus Miss is still going to be Focus Miss...
 
Lovely Kiss/Sleep Powder: 82 acc
WoW: 93 acc
Edit: Stone Edge: 88 acc
Focus Blast: 77 acc
also PokemonMasterDebater what happens with present
Actually, the accuracy of moves gets rounded up, so WoW would have 94 acc and Sleep Powder would have 83 acc. I've clarified that in the OP now.

I'm tempted to say that Present now always heals the target, because its hideously outclassed as a Normal type move on the few things that can learn it, and there is absolutely no good reason to run it in the first place over Return, Frustration, Facade, Body Slam, or even Mega Kick, which is usable here. It will still consume a Normal Gem when it heals the target as well.

On a similar note, Psywave now always deals an amount of damage equal to the user's level, like Siesmic Toss and Night Shade.
Since it could be argued that moves with high base power have a low accuracy as a risk/reward trade off, would it be worth investigating lowering the power of those moves as well?

Like if focus blast gets a 10% accuracy boost (to 77%), what about getting a 10% power reduction (to 108)?
While that could be interesting, that's kinda not the point of this metagame. It really is just what the title says, OU with a bit less hax.

I actually don't mind Scald, or most other moves with a 30% secondary, Serene Grace boosted flinching moves excluded. They actually provide really nice utility, and are a good enough reason to use a move over other alternatives. Although, part of the reason I feel this way is because I usually run either Heal Bell/status absorber on my teams, so I never really get screwed over by random Scald burns or the like, so it might be more deserving of hax reduction than what my feelings tell me.

Speaking of Serene Grace, that is still a thing right now. While the Paralysis nerf makes them a bit more manageable, they still have a 60% chance to flinch when they outspeed, and they still have Thunder Wave and boosted Body Slam to help them outspeed. I'm considering nerfing Serene Grace, such that it boosts secondary effect chances by 1.5, so that the odds are always in the defender's favor when Togekiss or Jirachi tries to flinch hax something to death.

What do you people think about Scald, (and moves with 30% secondary effects in general) and/or Serene Grace?
 
How about moves' secondary effects get multiplied by .9x(the approximate inverse of 1.1x)
Edit: now that I think about it a lower multiplier like .7x would be better
 
Last edited:
How about moves' secondary effects get multiplied by .9x(the approximate inverse of 1.1x)
Edit: now that I think about it a lower multiplier like .7x would be better
0.8x sounds good to me. 0.9x is too little, and 0.7x seems like too much.
Um, Togekiss' Air Slash has a 60% chance of flinching, so this seems OP
That change only effects moves that had a >50% secondary chance to begin with, not greater than and the only move that has a >50% secondary chance is Charge Beam, so the only move that is effected by this change is Charge Beam, just like I said in the OP.

Also I decided to leave Serene Grace unchanged, just to keep things as simple as possible.
 
Last edited:
Would Flinging King's Rock still cause a flinch?

Also, it seems to me that a 10% increase to all accuracy just creates a reversed version of the 10% secondary effects. Getting frozen by Ice Beam sucks. Missing with a 99% accurate High Jump Kick sucks more than getting frozen by Ice Beam. Missing with an 88% Stone Edge is also probably annoying.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this thread had been dead for so long. Sorry for the necro. This is a cool idea though. Anybody feel like trying to implement this?
 
Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would Flinging King's Rock still cause a flinch?

Also, it seems to me that a 10% increase to all accuracy just creates a reversed version of the 10% secondary effects. Getting frozen by Ice Beam sucks. Missing with a 99% accurate High Jump Kick sucks more than getting frozen by Ice Beam. Missing with an 88% Stone Edge is also probably annoying.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this thread had been dead for so long. Sorry for the necro. This is a cool idea though. Anybody feel like trying to implement this?
Generally, it seems like King's Rock wouldn't flinch, as it adds a 10% chance and I agree that it's annoying as long as there is any hax in play if the goal is to eliminate it.

Anyway, I've implemented a really similar thing, but with even less hax on Aqua a while ago.
 
How does this affect Tri Attack? Does this metagame nullify all of its secondary effects or does it simply have a reduced chance (16%) to cause a status ailment?
 
Snaquaza said:
Generally, it seems like King's Rock wouldn't flinch, as it adds a 10% chance and I agree that it's annoying as long as there is any hax in play if the goal is to eliminate it.
Except that using Fling while holding King's Rock gives you a 100% flinch chance. It's like Fake Out except you can use it once whenever you feel like it.

Also, what is your version of the metagame called? I can't find it on your server.

---

What about double Protect? I think that should always fail.
 
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

Top