ORAS OU Regenerator Pals: A Bulky Offense Team

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the following:

tornadus-therian.gif
uxie.gif
gardevoir-mega.gif
azumarill.gif
excadrill.gif
slowbro.gif

Before I start this RMT, I must say I'm a bit rusty when it comes to OU team-making. The last team I made myself was made months ago. From there, I've mostly been using other people's teams. Due to this, I don't believe this team is the greatest. In fact, I'm not sure if this team is even good. However, if I were completely confident in my team's abilities, I wouldn't be asking people to rate it in the first place. So please, give me your best suggestions.

Let's start with the importable:

Hot Potatus (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

More like Puxie (Uxie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Memento

Ol' Yeller (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Blue's Clues (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Return

Serial Driller (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Brotato Salad (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

If you actually read importables, you may notice something rather peculiar. Yep, this is a Trick Room team, yes indeedy. For those who think that Trick Room is an unfeasible gimmick, please keep an open mind. This team can be quite powerful, and with good improvements, perhaps those suggested by you, we could have an even more powerful team. Without further ado, let me get to the descriptions. We'll start with the lead:

Tornadus "Hot Potatus" Therian

tornadus-therian.gif

Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn
I can understand why this Pokemon is S rank. It's so gosh darn useful. The reason why I lead with this is that it has a positive net match-up against nearly everything. That is to say, everything it has a positive match-up against it has a positive match-up against, and everything it has a negative match-up against it usually out-speeds, so I can U-Turn out and keep momentum. I chose the Assault Vest set over a Life Orb set due to the fact that my team needed a special hit sponge. More than being a lead and a special punching bag, however, Tornadus is a needed pivot and attacker when Trick Room is down. Hurricane, Superpower, Knock Off, and even U-Turn contribute to eliminate threats that would sweep my team without Trick Room up. Overall, it's a very useful multipurpose Pokemon, a Pokemon without which my team would be far less effective.

Next Pokemon!

Uxie "More Like Puxie" Smalls

uxie.gif

Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Memento​

I must credit Jojobobo for coming up with this Uxie set, because I would never have been creative enough to come up with it myself. A somewhat unorthodox member of the team, Uxie is a member that usually does three things when I switch it in. One: Set up Trick Room. Two: Set up rocks. Three: Memento. That way, I can switch in Azumarill, Belly Drum, and sweep. Uxie, of course, has other possible uses. It can set up Trick Room and switch out, or set up rocks and switch out. Its stellar bulk allows it to shrug off most hits, even some super-effective ones. Magic Coat, however, is probably the most fun move this Uxie has. Repulsing spikes, rocks, taunts, and status conditions is an endless source of amusement for me. Overall, though, this Pokemon must be understood in the context of Azumarill, because there is no better stage setter for Azumarill than Uxie.

Next Pokemon!

Mega "Ol' Yeller" Gardevoir

gardevoir-mega.gif

Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast​

This is my team's special powerhouse. Another lift from Jojobobo, the absurdness behind a Pixilate boosted STAB Quiet nature maximum SpA investment Hyper Voice demolishes all who don't resist it or aren't Chansey. Ol' Yeller indeed. Beyond its destructive prowess, Mega Gardevoir has formidable special bulk with maximum HP investment. This allows it to switch into neutral special hits, set up Trick Room for itself, and get shouting. Psyshock, while not as powerful as Hyper Voice, is great for bopping the specially defensive, like Chansey, and Poison types, like Amoongus. Focus Blast mainly exists for hitting pesky Steel types like Heatran and Ferrothorn, which give this team trouble. Still, the main thing I'm going to be using is Hyper Voice. It's just so stupidly powerful. Overall, this is a specially bulky Trick Room setter with a voice like nails on a chalkboard, but my team is grateful for it being a member all the same.

Next Pokemon!

Azumarill "Blue's Clues" Jetson

azumarill.gif

Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Return
Ah, Zumarill. Or perhaps AAAAAAHHHHH! Zumarill! would be more appropriate, since whenever this thing gets to work I tend to hear the screams of my enemies as their Pokemon get OHKOed. I know what you're thinking. "Kalawishis, no Play Rough?" Funny story, I originally had it in place of Return, but then none of my moves were enough to OHKO Mega Venusaur. Aqua Jet/Knock Off/Return gives me perfect neutral coverage on every single Pokemon there is, making this Pokemon able to destroy everything - and I mean absolutely everything. I've already mentioned how Uxie helps set this beast up. That is to say, it uses Trick Room and then Memento, giving Azu three turns of Trick Room and a completely neutered opponent. From there, Azumarill can use Belly Drum, and for two turns it will be completely counterless. Oftentimes, people will do idiotic things like switch in traditional stops to an Azumarill sweep, like Mega Venusaur or Rotom Wash, forgetting that Trick Room is up, and watch as I OHKO that thing with Return. Even when Trick Room is down this thing is dangerous. Even when it doesn't sweep a team, it at the very least punches significant holes in it.

Next Pokemon!

Excadrill "Serial Driller" Spinoza

excadrill.gif

Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide​

You know what they say, the mole the merrier! This member of my team is no exception. Mnimum Speed Trick Room Excadrill might be the most unorthodox Excadrill set ever made, but it provides my team with great coverage and utility. Air balloon is chosen for giving this drill an immunity to Spikes and allowing it to beat other Excadrill even outside Trick Room. Earthquake under Trick Room is the most spammable move. It demolishes Rotom Wash under Trick Room, and has the curious property of killing Skarmory that try to Roost on me. See, my Excadrill is so slow that many Skarmory actually outspeed. Neato, huh? Iron Head is for Fairies like Clefable that would give my team grief, and for general flinching shenanigans. Thirdly, Rock Slide is good for hitting Charizards and Talonflame under Trick Room. Lastly, Rapid Spin is the utility this Excadrill brings to my team, getting rid of the rocks and Spikes that threaten to jab into my precious mons and negate the health gains made by Tornadus' and Slowbro's Regenerator abilities.

Last Pokemon!

Slowbro "Brotato Salad" McScaldburn

slowbro.gif

Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

I feel that it's quite appropriate for me to start and end the team with a Regenerator mon. Like Tornadus, Slowbro is part of the glue that keeps the team together. Unlike Tornadus, however, Slowbro has the ability to set up Trick Rooms and hit hard with its coverage. Scald is obvious - I want those burns. Fire Blast is absolutely great for hitting things like Ferrothorn and Scizor that would try to Leech Seed me or U-Turn off me, respectively. And woe are the Latios and Latias that try to switch in a get a Draco off on me. Ice Beam gets them, Landorus, Garchomp, and everything else weak to it. For these moves to hit harder I had to sacrifice bulk, making this Slowbro a little less tanky than most, but it still absorbs hits, especially physical hits, quite well. I elected for no reliable recovery on this Slowbro due to how Trick Room teams require momentum to work, and Slack Off completely kills momentum. Ultimately, Regenerator lets it do its job well enough, which is to switch in, set up Trick Room, and switch out/hit something super-effectively.

And that is my team!
If you read the whole thing, thank you so much. Even if you didn't, I don't mind. Either way, please give me feedback. Any type of feedback is appreciated, long feedback, short feedback, nice feedback, mean feedback, I don't care. As long as I have ideas to make my team better, I'll be satisfied.

Last edited:
I think you should run banded azumaril over belly drum, as it allows you to switch out and doesn't require a turn to set up. Also, if trick room wears off, it can switch and wont get outsped by 100% of things.

I'll try that out, thanks. If it works out, I'll consider replacing Uxie, since its job is mostly to prepare the stage for Azumarill.

Hey Kalawishis, some sweet Uxie, Azumarill and Gardevoir sets you've got going on there - I wonder what kind of madcap genius thought of them?

Anyway, if you want to stay true to the Trick Room archetype I think the Azu set you're running is good as is. Banded Azu is too restricted to properly make use of Trick Room usually leading to a switch and your opponent stalling your TR turns, and as I'm sure you've found people don't tend to play well against BD Azu under Trick Room - often providing 2 OHKOs with him and then doing some heavy damage with AJ when Trick Room goes down. Banded Azu is however more useful in standard play.

If you're looking for a fast pokemon on the team, I would recommend Bulk Up Taunt SpDef Talonflame over Tornadus. SpDef sets let you somewhat sponge special attacks you're looking to do already, the Talonflame set is naturally slower than a lot of fast sets with no speed investment. On top of this, it has strong priority outside of Trick Room and great anti-stall utility. The set:

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt / WoW

I prefer Acrobatics over the Brave Bird + Sharp Beak sets as you don't have to be worrying about recoil and when to roost, also the power drop isn't too bad and you can absorb Knock Offs nicely. I also prefer Taunt to WoW, shutting down stuff like Toxic is much more useful than getting burns in on rock mons Azu covers easily in the first place. You have Excadrill to get rid of hazards if you need to, but even if you don't manage it Talonflame will switch into rocks at 51% with the set and can Roost to full health again as needed. You might want to look at what speed tiers min-speeding it would help with too, nothing springs to mind for me right now.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello, Jojobobo! I must thank you again for the Gardevoir, Azumarill, and Uxie sets, which have proved indispensable for me. I certainly will try the Talonflame set you've mentioned. It doesn't sound as good as Tornadus to me, but then again I thought that Dusclops was completely unviable in OU.

Back