Gen 3 Regice Mixed Offense

Hi everyone!

First let me introduce myself, I was playing competitive back in the days, mostly on console and VGC tournaments until retired, recently I got back full with Stadium Rentals (maybe you have seen some of my posts) but suddenly something catch my eye, Charizard Ou after all those years?

I really like teambuilding so I had to try gen3 and started with Undisputed Breloom + Charizard team, two of my fav mons by the way, and have to thank Undisputed to see their value after so many years. So this is my version or view of the team, mostly highlighting the addition of Regice, what I think is very cool!

Team1.png

Zapdos @ Leftovers / Salac Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 124 HP / 232 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute / Roar
- Baton Pass

First of the team is with no surprise Zapdos, Zapdos is a beast and is the perfect Lead for this team, if you clearly win the lead can Baton Pass or Sub, if it is not clear the best option is to bail out. In the mirror the best is go Regice and don’t risk it, if you have Tyranitar, Salamence or Metagross in front go Metagross to scout the set, for this team it is vital to scout your opponents team first and then plan how to break it!

The EVs are there for leftovers recovery and 274 Speed to outrun up to Smeargle and Sub in his face, you can run Roar if you feel tired of Ninjask teams hanging around.

Breloom @ Black Belt / Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 8 HP / 240 Atk / 76 SpD / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Focus Punch
- Mach Punch

Second we have the most dangerous mon in this team, sometimes it just carries the win from beginning to end (I will try to upload something) with this set you always survive a Gengar’s Ice punch, you hit as a truck with Adamant + Black Belt and you have the nice priority on Mach Punch, never worry again of DD Tar. The nice thing here is that you don’t need Pursuit support for Gengar, one of the targets in this team is no needing of support and being self sufficient. Also the resisted Focus Punch sting! Better your opponent moves wisely in front of this beast.

The main difference from Undisputed’s team is that I don’t sac Breloom at all, at the begging it started as an interaction with Zard Beat Up, but after that I saw the potential of keeping this powerful Mach Punch alive, also you don’t need to predict Gengar’s as you can save Breloom and catch it later on the switch.

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 204 HP / 244 Def / 24 SpA / 36 Spe
Lax Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Substitute

Next one is Flygon, I really needed a secondary Rock resist, Swampert is perfectly fine but I just wanted to ignore spikes as much as possible and exploit Skarm instead. I toyed a lot with Flygon’s set but end up here right now, with this I am not walled by Skarm, I can beat DD Mence after a -1 Focus Punch + HP Ice from Flygon and have Rock Slide for Moltres that can be problematic otherwise. I would say Flygon just evolved to fulfill what the team needed.

The EVs aim to maximize recovery, nearly max defense to survive two +1 Mence attacks and 244 speed to outrun Jolly Tyranitar, the rest go to SpA.

Jimothy Cool advised me to use Suicune with Regice so maybe this could be the position to swap!

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 204 HP / 112 Atk / 192 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Rest

Regice is next, I have to say I wasn’t enjoying Snorlax at all, I wanted all my team Skarm free. First I tried Gengar to do like a superman team, but I was really lacking a special wall as I do not play that offensive. So a Special wall that does not end up walled by Skarm/Bliss, able to take on Water, Electric and Ice for Charizard, and it just popped the name.

Regice is incredible in my eyes, the boltbeam coverage is awesome, also you can Explode to get momentum on Blissey that tends to come.

Obviously Regice has many flaws, I could not make it speedy because I lost the way to check DD Mence with that, TSS destroys it, but then I came up with the solution: Rest

I was not using Thunder Wave the same reason I deleted Toxic from Flygon, the interaction between the status was poor with Breloom Sporing around so I had a free moveslot, in a lot of matches it happens that I need Regice alive to still take hits so this way I can go two paths in a match, lure and explode, or keep the wall alive.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 244 SpA / 188 Spe
Mild Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

Next is Metagross, this thing still has a lot to improve I think, there is a lot of interesting moves like HP grass, Thunderpunch, EQ, Pursuit, but overall Metagross just works, so this is the standard mixed set right now, hitting 222 Speed for neutral Tyranitar, 352 HP for leftovers recovery and the rest in SpA.

Charizard @ Petaya Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SpA
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Punch / Beat Up
- Substitute / Dragon Claw

And last Charizard, Charizard is the mon I evolved the most through my testing, with the most modern variant of Beat Up (252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe) you have a more consistent set and a way to damage Blissey, and this shaped a lot the team, letting the idea of trading and sacking straightforward or building as offensive as the team should be, because you could not use Beat Up properly.

In the other hand you have the SubPunch Petaya Berry variant that what the hell, is pure destruction, one interesting fact of Charizard is that you enjoy a -Def nature to enter Blaze after a Banded Meteor Mash.

So you have what I see a more of a team player set or a set that can damage the opponent so much that the game is over, mostly if they try to save something like Skarm that the whole team abuses of. So this is where Charizard excels it has a lot of viable moves, it can threaten Blissey in different ways, so if Blissey stays in, it can take a Beat Up and never recover again, if it tries to para or switches out, you can get a free sub, so you are never safe!

Overall I have to say the team is working very nice, I was testing until reaching the ladder (498 LINKRETROGAMINYT 1527 61.0% 1585 ± 33) to not post something random, and I will try to upload replays.

The main idea is to abuse, lure and destroy the common mons and teams that you see all day long, I tried to build something sturdy in structure so you can sponge nearly everything, you are immune to Toxic, Paralysis, Burn, Freeze… and can break through all cores around. I have to say it is not easy at all sometimes, you have to chose the right move anytime and try to get advantage of predicted plays, like greedy enemy Protects, get free subs, play a lot of scouting, and do the damage when you have a chance and always keep momentum.

Also you have to know very well what are your entry points, like you use Tyranitar to get in with Breloom, but never in the lead, you use Skarm as well for a Charizard free entry as they “lose” time setting spikes, how you SubPass with Zapdos with the incoming Bliss etc.

Happy playing!

Last edited:
It's always nice to see Regice getting some love its a really under used Pokémon.

Smeargle isn't common enough to justify using speed iv's just for it. Also when using modest Zapdos max Sp.A should almost always be used. I don't think this team benefits all that much from SubPassing and Zapdos has a lot of other great options.

I would recommend trying this set out and seeing if you like it.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic
- Roar

Using Rest+ Explosion on Regice is counterproductive, I would recommend keeping Explosion and using something else or use Sleep Talk + Rest if you want to keep Rest.

Don't use Black Belt on Breloom it's bad

Thank you Dawn Dreams for your reply! I will highly consider your Zapdos spread! But I prefer BP instead of Toxic!

Also will try Sleep Talk on Regice :)

About Breloom I am not completely sure, Black Belt, Max Attack, Adamant Breloom Stings, even has chances of KO on DD Tar with Match Punch and I usually don't find Breloom's HP useful after luring Gengar early game! Leftovers is nice though because you can lure Gengar after sand damage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)