VGC [Regulation E] Trick Room? Tailwind?

Im new to making teams, I took inspiration from some websites, please tell me what could be improved.

Ursaluna @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect

A special attacker that can set up with Swords Dance or Protect itself while Cresselia uses Trick Room. By benefiting from Trick Room, it can hit faster with a very powerful Earthquake. Flame Orb is to power up Facade.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Def / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ally Switch
- Trick Room
- Lunar Blessing
- Moonblast

Taking a support role, it can set up Trick Room in company of Ursaluna or Iron Hands. It can use Lunar Blessing to heal itself and partner, and Ally Switch to save itself or its partner from a likely fatal hit, or for other strategical purpose. Moonblast is there to allow it to actually do damage.

Iron Hands @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Heavy Slam

Physical and bulky, it can use Fake Out to make any scary opponent lose a turn and HP. This allows Cresselia to set up Trick Room more easily. I wanted to give it Assault Vest, but since Rillaboom already has it, I gave it a Booster Energy to activate its Quark Drive and boost attack. Drain Punch is always neat to have.

Hurracanis (Tornadus) @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bleakwind Storm
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

Support and Special Attacker, can disrupt other tailwind setters with Taunt and power up Urshifu with Rain Dance.
Tailwind is there just because it's Tailwind. Bleakwind Storm can do nice damage to both opponents, so it's neat to have.

Vélocidor (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 20 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 244 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Surging Strikes and Aqua Jet hit very hard due to STAB + Mystic Water + Rain + Tera. Tailwind allows it to hit faster as well. Close Combat is there for STAB and coverage, and Protect because why not?

Bom (Rillaboom) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

Grassy Surge is good I guess, and it's Wood Hammer does some mean damage, along with yet another Fake Outer, U-turn when in a pinch. Stomping Tantrum hits decently, and harder when the previous move failed. Good with Tailwind.

I do have concerns over Type coverage and role coverage as well. I also worry about how viable it is in Regulation E since it is recent.

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
Monotype Leader
Hi as3r_1408, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help or have any question. Have a nice day!
To PM someone on Smogon, go over their name on any of their post. It will display a little pop-up with a summary of their profile. Then, hit the "Start conversation" button and you will be able to write a PM just like you write a regular thread.

Why did you choose this Pokemon? What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it? What are all 4 moves for?

E: be free! :toast:

Last edited:
Im new to making teams, I took inspiration from some websites, please tell me what could be improved.

Ursaluna @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect

A special attacker that can set up with Swords Dance or Protect itself while Cresselia uses Trick Room. By benefiting from Trick Room, it can hit faster with a very powerful Earthquake. Flame Orb is to power up Facade.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Sassy Nature
- Ally Switch
- Trick Room
- Lunar Blessing
- Moonblast

Taking a support role, it can set up Trick Room in company of Ursaluna or Iron Hands. It can use Lunar Blessing to heal itself and partner, and Ally Switch to save itself or its partner from a likely fatal hit, or for other strategical purpose. Moonblast is there to allow it to actually do damage.

Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Heavy Slam

Physical and bulky, it can use Fake Out to make any scary opponent lose a turn and HP. This allows Cresselia to set up Trick Room more easily. I wanted to give it Assault Vest, but since Rillaboom already has it, I gave it a Booster Energy to activate its Quark Drive and boost attack. Drain Punch is always neat to have.

Modest Nature
- Bleakwind Storm
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

Support and Special Attacker, can disrupt other tailwind setters with Taunt and power up Urshifu with Rain Dance.
Tailwind is there just because it's Tailwind. Bleakwind Storm can do nice damage to both opponents, so it's neat to have.

Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Surging Strikes and Aqua Jet hit very hard due to STAB + Mystic Water + Rain + Tera. Tailwind allows it to hit faster as well. Close Combat is there for STAB and coverage, and Protect because why not?

Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

Grassy Surge is good I guess, and it's Wood Hammer does some mean damage, along with yet another Fake Outer, U-turn when in a pinch. Stomping Tantrum hits decently, and harder when the previous move failed. Good with Tailwind.

I do have concerns over Type coverage and role coverage as well. I also worry about how viable it is in Regulation E since it is recent.
Ursaluna is physical, not special. Just a typo, nothing important.

I like dark Tera on cress for prankster taunt, did that on Drifblim, but does it also need mental herb? I realize you won't always Tera your support, but then maybe run a more traditional(I expect) fairy Tera. I can still see use on if they taunt you, fails to take, and then go for it again only to have you Tera and block that, but idk how common that situation is, so please tell us.

LovelyLuna

Lost in a life full of mistakes
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey! Love the team, Tailwind + Trick Room (or Tail-room for short) has been a popular archetype for a while, usually with Farigiraf however Cresselia works great. The team is currently, pretty viable, but here are some changes I'd make for improvement!

Major Changes (Pokemon Replacements):

:Rillaboom: -> :Landorus-Therian:

:Rillaboom: overlaps with :Iron Hands: as a Bulky Fake Out Pokemon, while also weakening :Ursaluna:'s Earthquake. :Iron Hands:' speed tier also compliments the Tail-room archetype better, while being much bulkier. These qualities, especially Grassy Terrain's EQ halving effect, make :Iron Hands: the better option for this team. Now, as for why you'd want :Landorus-Therian:, It is one of the best pokemon right now, while having synergy with your team. It is another Earthquake immunity, with Intimidate helping bulk pokemon like :Ursaluna: and :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: even further, this lets them throw out more hits and in :Ursaluna:'s case, this will give it more opportunities to set up Swords Dance. It can threaten opposing :Rillaboom:, :Ogerpon-Wellspring: and :Ogerpon-Hearthflame: who will restrict your :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: and :Ursaluna: with their Strong grass type STAB.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Level: 50
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Flying
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Tera Blast
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

EVs: 100 HP / 116 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Tera Blast
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

These do different things, depending on your preference; Bulk or Power

Minor Changes (Items, Tera Types, Movesets):

:Cresselia: should be Safety Goggles, You have Tera Dark for a taunt answer and your team has limited counter-play to :Amoonguss:, your one pokemon that can wake your allys up should not be vulnerable to sleep. I do prefer Tera Fairy to power up Moonblast and be an amazing neutral typing, avoiding weaknesses like :Flutter Mane: and :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:. You have a Tailwind mode you can use if your opponent has Trick Room counter-play, and don't need to commit so hard on setting them

With :Rillaboom: gone, :Iron Hands: can now use it's favorite item being Assault Vest. It would also want Tera Grass as you have Rain Dance :Tornadus: and again, limited :Amoonguss: counter-play. Can be a crucial option for situations while not being a bad defensive typing for :Iron Hands: with rain.

:Tornadus:'s Item should be Mental Herb and It's Tera should be Ghost. You have :Iron Hands: and a consistent form of speed control vs opposing Fake Out. Because :Cresselia: isn't as taunt proof anymore, you want an answer without burning Tera.

Very Minor Changes (EVs and Natures):

:Ursaluna: would appreciate a 140/156/76/0/132/4 Adamant spread, This bulk lets you live things like Ivy Cudgel from :Ogerpon-Wellspring: and Hydro Pump from :Iron Bundle:. With Guts and Swords Dance, the slight attack drop isn't significant and while you're faster, this let's Ursaluna be viable in your Tailwind version too. For example, this spread lets you reach Adamant :Arcanine-Hisui: with Tailwind

:Cresselia: would also benefit from a Calm nature with Max spe IVs, This lets it function outside of Trick Room really well. Moving Hp EVs to hit 4 SpA and 4/12 Spe, which lets you perform feats like 2HKOing Focus Sash :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: (Rapid-Strike).

While your :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: spread is good, be aware that the low speed might be difficult to pilot

And that would be all! As I've said, a Great start to a team! It keeps the Tail-room Double Bear core and my changes are only intended to strengthen it. Feel free to ask any questions or let me know anything I missed!

Hey! Love the team, Tailwind + Trick Room (or Tail-room for short) has been a popular archetype for a while, usually with Farigiraf however Cresselia works great. The team is currently, pretty viable, but here are some changes I'd make for improvement!

Major Changes (Pokemon Replacements):

:Rillaboom: -> :Landorus-Therian:

:Rillaboom: overlaps with :Iron Hands: as a Bulky Fake Out Pokemon, while also weakening :Ursaluna:'s Earthquake. :Iron Hands:' speed tier also compliments the Tail-room archetype better, while being much bulkier. These qualities, especially Grassy Terrain's EQ halving effect, make :Iron Hands: the better option for this team. Now, as for why you'd want :Landorus-Therian:, It is one of the best pokemon right now, while having synergy with your team. It is another Earthquake immunity, with Intimidate helping bulk pokemon like :Ursaluna: and :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: even further, this lets them throw out more hits and in :Ursaluna:'s case, this will give it more opportunities to set up Swords Dance. It can threaten opposing :Rillaboom:, :Ogerpon-Wellspring: and :Ogerpon-Hearthflame: who will restrict your :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: and :Ursaluna: with their Strong grass type STAB.

EVs: 212 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Tera Blast
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

EVs: 100 HP / 116 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Tera Blast
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

These do different things, depending on your preference; Bulk or Power

Minor Changes (Items, Tera Types, Movesets):

:Cresselia: should be Safety Goggles, You have Tera Dark for a taunt answer and your team has limited counter-play to :Amoonguss:, your one pokemon that can wake your allys up should not be vulnerable to sleep. I do prefer Tera Fairy to power up Moonblast and be an amazing neutral typing, avoiding weaknesses like :Flutter Mane: and :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:. You have a Tailwind mode you can use if your opponent has Trick Room counter-play, and don't need to commit so hard on setting them

With :Rillaboom: gone, :Iron Hands: can now use it's favorite item being Assault Vest. It would also want Tera Grass as you have Rain Dance :Tornadus: and again, limited :Amoonguss: counter-play. Can be a crucial option for situations while not being a bad defensive typing for :Iron Hands: with rain.

:Tornadus:'s Item should be Mental Herb and It's Tera should be Ghost. You have :Iron Hands: and a consistent form of speed control vs opposing Fake Out. Because :Cresselia: isn't as taunt proof anymore, you want an answer without burning Tera.

Very Minor Changes (EVs and Natures):

:Ursaluna: would appreciate a 140/156/76/0/132/4 Adamant spread, This bulk lets you live things like Ivy Cudgel from :Ogerpon-Wellspring: and Hydro Pump from :Iron Bundle:. With Guts and Swords Dance, the slight attack drop isn't significant and while you're faster, this let's Ursaluna be viable in your Tailwind version too. For example, this spread lets you reach Adamant :Arcanine-Hisui: with Tailwind

:Cresselia: would also benefit from a Calm nature with Max spe IVs, This lets it function outside of Trick Room really well. Moving Hp EVs to hit 4 SpA and 4/12 Spe, which lets you perform feats like 2HKOing Focus Sash :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: (Rapid-Strike).

While your :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: spread is good, be aware that the low speed might be difficult to pilot

And that would be all! As I've said, a Great start to a team! It keeps the Tail-room Double Bear core and my changes are only intended to strengthen it. Feel free to ask any questions or let me know anything I missed!
W/o going through I can agree w/ all lol, don't actually play doubles, and if you writing a lot you likely know your stuff lol. I merely have a question about the 1st point. If Rillaboom is non-negotiable, say for sentimental reasons, would Headlong Rush on Luna as a change be enough to make it work?

LovelyLuna

Lost in a life full of mistakes
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
W/o going through I can agree w/ all lol, don't actually play doubles, and if you writing a lot you likely know your stuff lol. I merely have a question about the 1st point. If Rillaboom is non-negotiable, say for sentimental reasons, would Headlong Rush on Luna as a change be enough to make it work?
Headlong Rush is an option Ursaluna can run yes! Though Earthquake is stronger on a Swords Dance set. My main reasons were the overlap in role with Iron Hands and how much the team would benefit from Landorus

Ursaluna @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Sassy Nature
- Ally Switch
- Trick Room
- Lunar Blessing
- Moonblast

Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Heavy Slam

Modest Nature
- Bleakwind Storm
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

I would give AV to Hands, maybe a tera grass on hands for the amoonguss that are creeping up? I also don't know if 0 speed IVs on cress is good, especially because of mirror matches when outspeeding is what matters. Maybe like 13-15 IVs. Also, quick side note: Be careful of Urshifu around your ursaluna. They really don't care about your Protects, and could 2HKO or possibly OHKO your Ursaluna if you're not careful. For a new player, this is pretty good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)