Retest Unban Percentage Threshold for OU Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I am posting this on behalf of myself as an individual, not on behalf of the OU or NU councils.

I was waiting for the Melmetal suspect test to be done to post this as it would not have been entirely fair to change the threshold required to unban a retested Pokemon in the middle of the first retest of the generation, especially considering that I personally was in favor of unbanning the Pokemon. Now that this retest is over, I want to have a discussion about this topic as I firmly believe that the current 60% figure should no longer be used to unban retested Pokemon in the OU metagame.

First and foremost, this 60% figure is an extension of the percentage of votes required to ban a suspected Pokemon; the logic is that it should require a strong majority to overturn the current status quo through removing a Pokemon (or other suspect subject) from the metagame in OU. That logic is fine, but this figure was made for the purpose of suspects to ban -- hence the removing a Pokemon from the metagame bit, not retests to unban a Pokemon into the metagame. Retests were merely rolled in to this sweeping 60% figure upon implementation despite not presenting the same set of issues that a normal OU suspect would.

Secondly, a point that power brought up to me was that if we are ever retesting a Pokemon we previously quickbanned, then technically it can be seen as suspect manipulation by the OU Council. For example, if we suspected Melmetal immediately instead of quickbanning it, then it would require a 60% ban vote to ban it from the metagame. However, seeing as we quickbanned it and waited until the metagame settled to retest it, the retest only required 40% votes to keep it banned instead of the aforementioned 60% figure. While this was obviously not a case of vote manipulation here seeing as there was an unprecedented set of Pokemon and moves dropped in the middle of the metagame's existence without much warning (Pokemon Home) and in acting as we did we were able to give Melmetal a far more fair test outright in a less hectic metagame, it still seems somewhat unfair that the threshold to ban it moved down 20% due to this timing.

Moreover, I believe that we should consider changing this threshold to a lesser amount for future OU retests. This makes sense because the 60% figure is intended for regular suspects to ban Pokemon from the metagame and it also helps fight against technical manipulation of the amount of ban votes needed if there are any instances of a Pokemon being quickbanned/starting off banned and then being retested later on.

My personal proposal would be: moving the percentage to 50% of votes needed to unban a Pokemon during a retest in SS OU. I would greatly appreciate other interested parties to leave their thoughts on this topic as it could be relevant in the future and I would like to come to a verdict at some point in the near future.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I guess bumping this because there hasn't been any reply, in favor or against this implement happening, besides my own in 2 and a half weeks.
There is a near 0 chance we re-test anything until at least when DLC happens. Because of this, I am fine with not resolving this thread promptly, but it seems like there is no opposition. I will leave this open throughout the remainder of the week and if there are no objections (or the objections can be reasonably dealt with), then we will likely proceed with making this official!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it generally depends on why the Pokemon was banned. If it was banned by a 60% supermajority in a suspect test by the public, then I think it should still require 60% to unban in a retest. If it was a ban made by a council vote (quickban or otherwise) that is later being put up for a public suspect test to unban, then I think 50% is reasonable.

I'm not sure of too many cases of the former happening, but thought I'd draw a distinction between the two.

LittleBigPlanet2

Aldi Final Boss
is a Tiering Contributor
I greatly appreciate any effort made by anyone regarding the state of the current metagame, and I think this topic could be relevant for the future too.
The rule that we apply now is: if a pokemon was banned by a 60% supermajority, then it still requires the same percentage to unban it in a retest. In the case of Melmetal, we should keep in consideration that we were not voting for banning it. We voted for keeping it banned or not. We were able to give Melmetal a fair test. This is a decision that requires a strong responsibility, as we test if we should reintroduce in a metagame an element that could change the status quo, with consequences that could lead to anything, from little differences to very dangerous situations. It's clear that we should give the right weight to these decisions. Thus, a 60% majority it's more than reasonable as a threshold to decide if something can be released in the metagame or not.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As it has been over two months with very little discussion, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. We will be implementing the suggestion proposed in the OP. This means that OU retests of quickbans or council bans will only require a simple majority (more than half, or 50% + 1 vote) to unban a Pokemon from Ubers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)