SM UU Retro

1518617116587.png

1518617154573.png
1518617161214.png
1518617167692.png
1518617173625.png
1518617184440.png
1518617192657.png

Hey everyone, this is a team that I made quite quickly but really enjoyed playing and I think I thought I'd share it as it's been a very long time since we had any sort of paradigmatic SM UU team and I think this is a good example of non mega-mane good stuff offence. It did reasonably on the ladder getting in top 10 if that means anything; though I honestly find actual laddering to be a pretty cancerous experience. It essentially began as a take on sash spam offence which had a new breath of life with an excellent candidate in breloom. I found, though, that there weren't many other options that were that useful and having multiple sash users forced me to have hazard removal which I felt didn't gel with the general fast-pacedness of the team. The team is called retro as, looking back on it, it reminds me a lot of DPP OU offence in both appearance and playstyle (albeit latias over something like dragonite). Anyway, hope you enjoy the read and maybe it will encourage you to go for similar builds which I think are very effective, particularly with breloom in the tier.​

1518617220572.png
Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Sash loom is a mon that can pull its weight in essentially any match up where there isn't amoongus on the opposing team just because of how busted sleep is for a team with an engine derived from set up mons. The set is very straight-forward, sash is the best item for this team as it lets you lead with it nearly all the time meaning you can get a near guaranteed turn 1 spore off against teams who's only sleep absorption is gliscor. Rock tomb was my initial choice for filler and I haven't found myself missing SD much and I think it matches loom's role as a utility attacker better as well, making it a real menace against TR with spore and being able to beat marowak. It also does certain things that are quite useful for the team like making celebi slower than scizor and letting you trade with heracross 1v1 even without spore. SD is also an option as breloom does end up closing out quite a few games and has particular value when players try to pivot round to get in intimidates with their mega mane late game and so SD can punish those sorts of plays. Jolly is prefered to outspeed stuff like gliscor and at least tie with other loom.

1518617239449.png
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 96 HP / 160 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

I will still stand by my belief that mega-aero is the best mega in the tier. It's fantastic speed tier as well as access to a movepool that gives massive room to cater for a team's particular needs is unparalleled and really useful for a team like this. Anyway, aero was originally added to partner with loom, with aero reliably providing hazard support and loom being able to handle stuff like bulky waters. The stone edge and SR are self explanatory as aero is the only potential rocks user on the team. Taunt I feel is very under-utilised and is great for blocking defogs and recovery from water types (opening up a potential scizor sweep) as well as having great utility early game stopping hazards and status from coming out. Aqua tail is the most modifiable and tbh I can definitely see earthquake being run here but I really like being able to have aero as my gliscor switch in than suicune as suicune is really crippled by a switch into knock off or toxic and will often be outsped by scor too. I can't remember what the EVs were for exactly but I think it was along the lines of always 2hkoing standard scor with aqua tail and surviving 2 scarf hydra dark pulses all the time.

1518617263914.png
Scizor @ Iron Plate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Scizor is the best mon in the tier and offensive SD may well be the best set of any mon in the tier. Scizor provides the perfect mix of bulk, resistances, revenge-killing potential and sweep threat. Scizor is the team's only dragon resist (and your azu switch-in, lol) so iron plate to avoid LO recoil is important for longevity as otherwise you don't really get to switch in more than once on latias. Scizor fits in really well with the offensive synergy of the team as well, capitalising on aero and gliscor weakening water and steel types so it can sweep but also having enough power to wall break if you want to sweep with something else. Knock off is near essential on any team imo so is definitely the prefered option over bug bite, providing more utility in stall match-ups as well as letting you get through shit like marowak-a. Superpower is the best last option and helps a lot versus opposing scizor which the team is quite weak to. EVs are just to outspeed jolly azu, the bulk has been more helpful than the last bit of speed I feel.

1518617283314.png
Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

If offensive sd sciz isn't the best set in the tier, then this sure as shit is. Latias is probably the most consistent mon in the meta and will always be checking something on the opposing team. It is your go-to bulky water switch-in and also plays a big role in softening up steel types for the rest of the team. +1 DD is just ludicrously powerful, one-shotting stuff like offensive sciz and doing like 70% to muk and upwards of 50% to fully invested aggron. Latias is also your best friend in the stall match up which is why I've opted for psyshock over psychic to beat blissey; the only significant trade-off I've noticed is not being able to 2hko scor at +1 without draco. Thunderbolt is the best filler for the team I feel, letting you rk belly drum azu (though in practice it never actually sets up) or 2hkoing it on the switch. Healing Wish is an option as I find it does quite often end up dying to toxic damage though I've found that it generally does its job mid game when you don't really have much that's very weakened but thunderbolt has been doing fine for me. Recover is also an option if you want more staying power for match ups like non muk mega mane teams (though these are quite rare I find).

1518617304424.png
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

I honestly find it amazing how suicune can still be a top threat despite all the power creep over the gens in UU but yeah, suicune serves as another utility attacker that puts a lot of pressure (hehe) on more passive teams and picks up the pieces for loom if it is deadweight (like against amoongus teams) as suicune generally does very well against those teams. Ice beam over protect to beat breloom and do good damage to serp and latias at +1. It is worth noting that you can still beat blissey without protect, I think you get up to +3 and then force it to soft boiled twice at which point it won't have enough s-tosses to beat you though if you get bad rolls and no burns then I don't think it's guaranteed. Suicune also doubles up as a switch in to many of the things that scizor would generally switch in to like aero or opposing scizor so it offers you some flexibility to preserve health on whichever mon is more useful in the match up. But yeah, cune is very under-prepared for and puts in a lot of work against vanilla offence teams too that like to run scarf lati. Some people run rest if they don't have protect but I find that to be much too passive for a team like this plus then amoongus can just clear smog away your boosts and chip you down till you have to rest and are a sitting duck so I wouldn't recommend rest on this team.

1518617325023.png
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Roost

Gliscor fits in kind of a weird spot on this team. Initially it was mamoswine which made the mega-mane match-ups a lot more comfortable and if you were to use this team in a tournament, then I would recommend going for mamoswine (which lets you do stuff like run SD on loom and pursuit and eq over a-tail and rocks on aero). But for laddering purposes, Gliscor will save you a lot of grief in passive match ups serving as a status sponge as well as a pretty good switch in to things like scarf hydra and Mega gron which would otherwise always be able to force chip damage given the lack of recovery on the team as well as be threatening with their coverage (i.e. fire blast for sciz or toxic for suicune respectively). Gliscor will rarely be your mvp but gives you a lot more breathing room as nullifying defensive moltres/amoongus/status/knock off and scarfers is a pretty big deal especially for an offensive team that would otherwise have a hard time in these areas. This comes at the sacrifice of immediate offensive presence, however which is why I might suggest using mamoswine in tourney games. Facade is the best coverage move for the team as missing out on aero isn't so bad when you have scizor and cune and +2 facade is nice to be able to put things like serp in mach punch range. Essentially gliscor is a match-up glue mon, so will mean that you have to work a bit more for non-scarf offence match-ups but it's benefits are worth it imo. Speed creep is a good idea as well for the record as weakening suicune is really helpful for the team.

Threatlist:
1518617357342.png
klefki is a nuissance for any offensive team without hazard removal but you just have to get used to using mostly mega-aero, lati, and scor in the mid game for these match-ups as there isn't really a quick fix for it as defog would be a bad idea on gliscor and wouldn't help much on lati and aero given that klefki just switches in on them anyway.

1518617370635.png
because it's usually paired with muk-a and you need latias to wall break to advance your gameplan anyway means mane can be a nuisance so often you will need to get aero or loom in on a double to dodge the intimidate and then mach punch or stedge to put in range of the other. SR is really helpful for mega mane but essentially, you will be forced to make a trade most games even if you play correctly.

1518617388377.png
loom can be annoying as spore can be tricky to play around early game. Taunt will help you but once you break its sash, just keep the pressure up (i.e. make sure you set up before you attack with scizor or cune) and it won't do much. Gliscor can at least force a trade if you get your toxic orb activation quick.

1518617402829.png
In a similar boat as mega mane, often partnered with muk but doesn't have volt switch so lati is a bit safer. Also can't really get the ball rolling on much except for gliscor or suicune who both won't have much trouble putting it in BP, MP or Stedge range.

1518617418903.png
You have to predict CB, BD will usually get a kill if you don't see it coming. A very good candidate for burning loom's sash if you can but otherwise it can be a threat with good stab coverage, enough bulk to take a hit, and a powerful A-jet though thankfully its quite dependant on the latter as it is slow as shit.

1518617445357.png
if paired with magneton you will probably lose but thankfully that is not too common. Mega-aero, cune's ice beam and spore are all still useful tho to beat it.

Hope you enjoyed the team!

Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Roost

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Aye, cool team you have here fam. Just a few minor changes I suggest :D.

- Scarf Latias - So I think this change is super necessary simply because of how much it helps a few of the matchup problems this team has, the main ones being Mega Manectric and Serperior. This pokemon not being Choice Scarf means revenging something like Mega Manectric pretty much completely relies on Latias being healthy enough to tank HP Ice, or Stone Edge from Mega Aerodactyl. Scarf on Lati gives the team the speed control it needs to deal with those threats much much easier, I also opted to go for Thunderbolt on the Scarf Lati to help revenge BD Azu.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

- 252 Atk 252 Speed Jolly Scizor w/ Fightium Z - So with the addition of Scarf on Latias, you are now missing a Z move, I think putting this Z move to use on Scizor would be very beneficial for this team. On top of this, I went for a faster Scizor spread here, the vast majority of Scizors aren't running Jolly these days since Rotom-Wash rose, therefore you are usually going to find yourself moving first against other Scizors in a 1v1. Having the Z move as something to nuke other Scizors with is extremely helpful in a situation where a large portion of your team has a hard time dealing with Scizor, and Suicune may tank Bullet Punches all day, but it doesn't enjoy the chip from U-Turns, etc. This change greatly improves your Scizor matchup, and gives your wincon more breaking power w/ the nuke that is Fightium Z.

Scizor @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

- Ice Fang > Aqua Tail Aerodactyl - This is mainly since if your staring at a Gliscor, the thing your switching into is probably going to be Mega Aerodactyl. The ice coverage is a nice touch on Suicune, but I think it'd be better on Maero. Hitting stuff like Hydreigon and Breloom was your reasoning for using Ice Beam on Suicune, but I think it's much more important on Maero for a couple reasons.

1) A lot of things that ice coverage hits overlap with flying coverage, and the lack of flying STAB actually really hurts on Maero here becaue of the inability to hit things like Serperior, Breloom, etc. This Maero is deadass walled by Serperior, and that is probably one of the main reasons it's on your threat list.
2) Dragons, hitting dragons is pretty important for this team since you very clearly lack a fairy type. Lacking a fairy type kind of automatically means you don't set up on Hydreigon super well unless it clicks Draco and Scizor is healthy, and that's if it's choice locked. A Life Orb Hydreigon would be very scary for this team to face especially if it has fire coverage.

I also opted to go for max Atk max Speed Maero simply because the ice coverage helps a lot with the whole Hydreigon thing, and the set no long would have Aqua Tail so that benchmark would be irrelevant.

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

- Vincune - So basically all I did was make this a bonified Vincune by adding Protect > Ice Beam, I kind of already touched on this with the explanation of Ice Fang > Aqua Tail on Maero. Protect is very useful to PP stall stuff like Serperior, and pretty much everything else... Pressure is a broken ability lmao.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect

Lemme know what you think my friend, hmu on Smogon or PS if you have any questions or if you just wanna talk about it n_n.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 101896
View attachment 101897View attachment 101898View attachment 101899View attachment 101900View attachment 101901View attachment 101902
Hey everyone, this is a team that I made quite quickly but really enjoyed playing and I think I thought I'd share it as it's been a very long time since we had any sort of paradigmatic SM UU team and I think this is a good example of non mega-mane good stuff offence. It did reasonably on the ladder getting in top 10 if that means anything; though I honestly find actual laddering to be a pretty cancerous experience. It essentially began as a take on sash spam offence which had a new breath of life with an excellent candidate in breloom. I found, though, that there weren't many other options that were that useful and having multiple sash users forced me to have hazard removal which I felt didn't gel with the general fast-pacedness of the team. The team is called retro as, looking back on it, it reminds me a lot of DPP OU offence in both appearance and playstyle (albeit latias over something like dragonite). Anyway, hope you enjoy the read and maybe it will encourage you to go for similar builds which I think are very effective, particularly with breloom in the tier.​

View attachment 101903Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Sash loom is a mon that can pull its weight in essentially any match up where there isn't amoongus on the opposing team just because of how busted sleep is for a team with an engine derived from set up mons. The set is very straight-forward, sash is the best item for this team as it lets you lead with it nearly all the time meaning you can get a near guaranteed turn 1 spore off against teams who's only sleep absorption is gliscor. Rock tomb was my initial choice for filler and I haven't found myself missing SD much and I think it matches loom's role as a utility attacker better as well, making it a real menace against TR with spore and being able to beat marowak. It also does certain things that are quite useful for the team like making celebi slower than scizor and letting you trade with heracross 1v1 even without spore. SD is also an option as breloom does end up closing out quite a few games and has particular value when players try to pivot round to get in intimidates with their mega mane late game and so SD can punish those sorts of plays. Jolly is prefered to outspeed stuff like gliscor and at least tie with other loom.

View attachment 101904Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

I will still stand by my belief that mega-aero is the best mega in the tier. It's fantastic speed tier as well as access to a movepool that gives massive room to cater for a team's particular needs is unparalleled and really useful for a team like this. Anyway, aero was originally added to partner with loom, with aero reliably providing hazard support and loom being able to handle stuff like bulky waters. The stone edge and SR are self explanatory as aero is the only potential rocks user on the team. Taunt I feel is very under-utilised and is great for blocking defogs and recovery from water types (opening up a potential scizor sweep) as well as having great utility early game stopping hazards and status from coming out. Aqua tail is the most modifiable and tbh I can definitely see earthquake being run here but I really like being able to have aero as my gliscor switch in than suicune as suicune is really crippled by a switch into knock off or toxic and will often be outsped by scor too. I can't remember what the EVs were for exactly but I think it was along the lines of always 2hkoing standard scor with aqua tail and surviving 2 scarf hydra dark pulses all the time.

View attachment 101905Scizor @ Iron Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Scizor is the best mon in the tier and offensive SD may well be the best set of any mon in the tier. Scizor provides the perfect mix of bulk, resistances, revenge-killing potential and sweep threat. Scizor is the team's only dragon resist (and your azu switch-in, lol) so iron plate to avoid LO recoil is important for longevity as otherwise you don't really get to switch in more than once on latias. Scizor fits in really well with the offensive synergy of the team as well, capitalising on aero and gliscor weakening water and steel types so it can sweep but also having enough power to wall break if you want to sweep with something else. Knock off is near essential on any team imo so is definitely the prefered option over bug bite, providing more utility in stall match-ups as well as letting you get through shit like marowak-a. Superpower is the best last option and helps a lot versus opposing scizor which the team is quite weak to. EVs are just to outspeed jolly azu, the bulk has been more helpful than the last bit of speed I feel.

View attachment 101906Latias @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

If offensive sd sciz isn't the best set in the tier, then this sure as shit is. Latias is probably the most consistent mon in the meta and will always be checking something on the opposing team. It is your go-to bulky water switch-in and also plays a big role in softening up steel types for the rest of the team. +1 DD is just ludicrously powerful, one-shotting stuff like offensive sciz and doing like 70% to muk and upwards of 50% to fully invested aggron. Latias is also your best friend in the stall match up which is why I've opted for psyshock over psychic to beat blissey; the only significant trade-off I've noticed is not being able to 2hko scor at +1 without draco. Thunderbolt is the best filler for the team I feel, letting you rk belly drum azu (though in practice it never actually sets up) or 2hkoing it on the switch. Healing Wish is an option as I find it does quite often end up dying to toxic damage though I've found that it generally does its job mid game when you don't really have much that's very weakened but thunderbolt has been doing fine for me. Recover is also an option if you want more staying power for match ups like non muk mega mane teams (though these are quite rare I find).

View attachment 101907Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

I honestly find it amazing how suicune can still be a top threat despite all the power creep over the gens in UU but yeah, suicune serves as another utility attacker that puts a lot of pressure (hehe) on more passive teams and picks up the pieces for loom if it is deadweight (like against amoongus teams) as suicune generally does very well against those teams. Ice beam over protect to beat breloom and do good damage to serp and latias at +1. It is worth noting that you can still beat blissey without protect, I think you get up to +3 and then force it to soft boiled twice at which point it won't have enough s-tosses to beat you though if you get bad rolls and no burns then I don't think it's guaranteed. Suicune also doubles up as a switch in to many of the things that scizor would generally switch in to like aero or opposing scizor so it offers you some flexibility to preserve health on whichever mon is more useful in the match up. But yeah, cune is very under-prepared for and puts in a lot of work against vanilla offence teams too that like to run scarf lati. Some people run rest if they don't have protect but I find that to be much too passive for a team like this plus then amoongus can just clear smog away your boosts and chip you down till you have to rest and are a sitting duck so I wouldn't recommend rest on this team.

View attachment 101908Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Roost

Gliscor fits in kind of a weird spot on this team. Initially it was mamoswine which made the mega-mane match-ups a lot more comfortable and if you were to use this team in a tournament, then I would recommend going for mamoswine (which lets you do stuff like run SD on loom and pursuit and eq over a-tail and rocks on aero). But for laddering purposes, Gliscor will save you a lot of grief in passive match ups serving as a status sponge as well as a pretty good switch in to things like scarf hydra and Mega gron which would otherwise always be able to force chip damage given the lack of recovery on the team as well as be threatening with their coverage (i.e. fire blast for sciz or toxic for suicune respectively). Gliscor will rarely be your mvp but gives you a lot more breathing room as nullifying defensive moltres/amoongus/status/knock off and scarfers is a pretty big deal especially for an offensive team that would otherwise have a hard time in these areas. This comes at the sacrifice of immediate offensive presence, however which is why I might suggest using mamoswine in tourney games. Facade is the best coverage move for the team as missing out on aero isn't so bad when you have scizor and cune and +2 facade is nice to be able to put things like serp in mach punch range. Essentially gliscor is a match-up glue mon, so will mean that you have to work a bit more for non-scarf offence match-ups but it's benefits are worth it imo. Speed creep is a good idea as well for the record as weakening suicune is really helpful for the team.

Threatlist:
View attachment 101909klefki is a nuissance for any offensive team without hazard removal but you just have to get used to using mostly mega-aero, lati, and scor in the mid game for these match-ups as there isn't really a quick fix for it as defog would be a bad idea on gliscor and wouldn't help much on lati and aero given that klefki just switches in on them anyway.

View attachment 101910because it's usually paired with muk-a and you need latias to wall break to advance your gameplan anyway means mane can be a nuisance so often you will need to get aero or loom in on a double to dodge the intimidate and then mach punch or stedge to put in range of the other. SR is really helpful for mega mane but essentially, you will be forced to make a trade most games even if you play correctly.

View attachment 101911loom can be annoying as spore can be tricky to play around early game. Taunt will help you but once you break its sash, just keep the pressure up (i.e. make sure you set up before you attack with scizor or cune) and it won't do much. Gliscor can at least force a trade if you get your toxic orb activation quick.

View attachment 101912In a similar boat as mega mane, often partnered with muk but doesn't have volt switch so lati is a bit safer. Also can't really get the ball rolling on much except for gliscor or suicune who both won't have much trouble putting it in BP, MP or Stedge range.

View attachment 101913You have to predict CB, BD will usually get a kill if you don't see it coming. A very good candidate for burning loom's sash if you can but otherwise it can be a threat with good stab coverage, enough bulk to take a hit, and a powerful A-jet though thankfully its quite dependant on the latter as it is slow as shit.

View attachment 101914if paired with magneton you will probably lose but thankfully that is not too common. Mega-aero, cune's ice beam and spore are all still useful tho to beat it.

Hope you enjoyed the team!

Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Roost
G'day mate, cool team you've got here, looks like you got a really solid core going on, so we won't be changing up too much - also apologies you didn't get a rate on this until a month after posting! So, from the get go, one of the biggest things that stands out to me is the Focus Sash Breloom + zero hazard control, beside Taunt on Aerodactyl-Mega. Next up, the core team of 'mons seems really solid against bulky/fat builds especially with the implementation of CM Z-Draco Latias as well as Sub CM Suicune, but I can see common offence builds causing you a lot of issues. One Pokemon in particular I've noticed you've omitted from your threat list being Mamoswine which does >50% to Suicune on the switch, something that you can only hope to reliably RKO. Unsurprisingly the lack of hazard control as well as lack of decent sustainability outside of Roost on Gliscor really hurts this team versus heavy offence in particular. I also feel as though you could improve your stall match up outside of Taunt on Aerodactyl-Mega. I also think that Fighting types, in particular, are difficult for this team to face, eg. Scarf Infernape, SD + Z Iron Head Cobalion, etc.

First up I think that it would be in your best interest to replace Focus Sash with Life Orb on Breloom. In this case it gives Breloom a lot more striking power and really allows it to threaten all teams through out every stage of the match. I also like that Life Orb Breloom is able to threaten stall with Rock Tomb whilst forgoing the use of Swords Dance, and it's for that reason I am also recommending you run Life Orb + Rock Tomb over Sash + Swords Dance on Breloom. Having a threatening presence during the early stages of the match is very useful, and considering you weren't running hazard control I doubt Focus Sash came in useful most of the time. Of course this Breloom will play differently without Focus Sash and that is something to be aware of.

Next up I really think this team requires speed control outside of Aerodactyl-Mega and considering you weren't utilising Aero's fantastic coverage coupled with its speed this addition is vital. I agree with vivalospride in this case, Scarf Latias over Dragonium Z gives you a decent form of hazard control on top of speed control as well as a way to bring back one of your other Pokemon later on. More importantly this gives you a free Z move to play with. Scarf Latias makes Pokemon such as Manectric-Mega, Serperior, Scarf Hydreigon, etc. less threatening to your team.

So next up I would like to look at Gliscor and Aerodactyl-Mega at the same time. I honestly feel as though Stealth Rock Gliscor would make more sense on this team, it gives you a bulky Ground type pivot as well as a reliable way to set Stealth Rock compared to frail Aerodactyl-Mega. I'd also like to suggest running Fire Fang on Gliscor in this case to give you a better overall match up versus opposing Scizor. Running Gliscor as a Stealth Rock setter I feel we need to address the Aerodactyl set. We can go one of two ways here, firstly we could decide to run an all-out-attacker variant with Pursuit or we could look at running Hone Claws Aerodactyl-Mega. In my testing I decided to run Hone Claws Aerodactyl-Mega, this allows you to threaten bulky builds that utilise their typing, defences, and recovery to get past Aerodactyl - having another win condition is also nice. In this case, you get to keep Stone Edge and Aqua Tail, but you have multiple options for your last move: Earthquake, Wing Attack and Fire Fang come to mind. In my testing I ran Fire Fang, since I wasn't overly satisfied with the Scizor match up still. This variant of Aerodactyl-Mega also beats Altaria-Mega + Magneton cores.

So we've got one last set to optimise before the making a team member change. So I really think this team would benefit from the raw power of Choice Band Scizor over Swords Dance. With out going too far into detail, it gives you the strongest Bullet Punch versus Belly Drum Azumarill, it gives you another way to threaten stall by allowing you to Pursuit Blissey and it lets you hurt fat cores that dislike pivoting around Choice Banded attacks. If you dislike the idea of Band on Scizor you're more than welcome running the SD Scizor suggested in the post before mine. Note: being able to Pursuit something like opposing Scarf Latias is very nice.

Okay on to the team change. You will have noticed I saved the Z move and I've not mentioned Suicune, you may have also read that I didn't like your match up versus Mamoswine here. It's for this reason I strongly believe that Slowbro would be a better fit over Suicune here. The set itself would be running Z Ice Beam, this would allow it to lure Pokemon such as Celebi, Latias, Hydreigon, Serperior and even Altaria-Mega for the rest of your team. I also really like that Slowbro gets Slack Off and Regenerator over Suicune's lack of recovery. Lastly, Slowbro with a Z move isn't as susceptible to Knock Off meaning you can stay in on Pokemon such as Krookodile and Muk-A and potentially fish for burns - synergising very well with Latias! I also find that Slowbro gives you a better overall match up versus Fighting types.

Summary of proposed changes:
- Focus Sash Breloom --> Life Orb Breloom
- Dragonium Z Latias --> Choice Scarf Latias
- Swords Dance Gliscor --> Stealth Rock Gliscor
- Stealth Rock Aerodactyl-Mega --> Hone Claws Aerodactyl-Mega
- Swords Dance Scizor --> Choice Band Scizor
- Suicune --> Icium Z Slowbro
Slowbro @ Icium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang / Earthquake / Wing Attack
- Hone Claws

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 200 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Fang
- Roost

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. To clarify, focus sash on loom lets you lead with it which I find really helpful versus gliscor teams. Also, as the team is pretty linear in how it plays, you can generally keep hazards off fairly easy (asides from klefki) if you play aggresively with switching into aero (if keeping sash is worth it).

Anyway, I feel both sets of suggestions do compromise the stall match-up which, while not necessarily a big deal for tourney play, is not great for ladder. Maybe this isn't as common a build as it used to be but mola/moong/blissey/quag isn't really breakable for either of the edits asides from vincune which all decent stall teams seem to have a response to nowadays (which is mostly why I really rate z-lati). I will give these a try, though, when I give UU another shot; I do like fire fang SR gliscor, fightinium scizor which does improve my shaky scizor match-up and ice fang aero could be a cool middle ground given that hippo isn't that much of an issue. Either way, I appreciate the effort you guys took on the rates and it would be good to play a few games some time if y'all are around on UU room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)