SM LC return of tahupass (1k special)

Hey guys. It's my 1k post so I decided to RMT a team that is very near and dear to my heart. THis team is essentially an updated version of this infamous team from XY. it is, in my opinion, the best version of a Baton Pass chain possible in the current LC meta. Enjoy!

At a Glance

In-Depth

Torchic @

Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 36 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
Torchic is the primary Speed booster for the chain and is very effective at its job. Thanks to Speed Boost, it can passively build up boosts, which is crucial for the rest of the chain as it allows them to boost defenses before getting hit. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers and allows Torchic to live stuff like Mudbray Earthquakes that would normally OHKO it. Substitute+Protect combined with Berry Juice allows Torchic to boost with relative impunity and often get the next chain member in scot free behind a sub. EVs hit 14 Speed, maximize Defense and hit an even number in Special Defense. The Attack EVs may seem out of place on a mon with no attacks, but they’re there for a reason I’ll get to later.
Aipom @

Ability: Run Away
EVs: 116 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Agility
- Bounce
- Baton Pass

Aipom is the team’s “utility belt”, performing a lot of miscellaneous roles, all of which are important. It serves as a secondary Speed booster with Agility in case Torchic gets crit or has a bad matchup. It makes a good lead with a fast Taunt to stop opposing setup sweeper leads and hazard users (Toxic Spikes in particular). Z-Bounce seems a bit weird but it’s very useful for the team-it always OHKOs Gastly and Snivy and usually OHKOs Cottonee and Croagunk, all of which can be major threats to the chain. EVs maximize Speed and hit a jump point in Attack with the rest going into bulk. None of Aipom’s abilities do anything to help the chain.

Mime Jr. @

Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 116 SpD / 116 Spe
Impish Nature

- Encore
- Barrier

- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

Mime Jr. is one of the main stat boosters for the chain. It has a lot of useful tools to aid it in this, namely its high Special Defense, which lets it set up on stuff like Staryu, its double resistance to Fighting, Soundproof to block Roar, and most importantly Encore, which prevents the team from getting swept by opposing setup mons such as NP Vullaby. Barrier and Calm Mind form a complementary pair of boosting moves, boosting each of the chain’s defensive stats as well as Special Attack. Berry Juice provides passive recovery. The EV spread lets Mime Jr. hit 14 Speed, which is important to outspeed threats such as Adamant Corphish, and optimizes its bulk.

Munna @

Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 68 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD / 84 Spe
Bold Nature

- Stored Power
- Barrier

- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

Munna is the second stat booster as well as a secondary wincon. It usually comes in to deal with Poison-types that Mime Jr. has trouble setting up on and force them out with the threat of Stored Power. Munna is also useful against strong attackers, as it can live most attacks thanks to its excellent statistical bulk. Like mime Jr., it carries complementary bossting moves in Barrier and Calm Mind. Synchronize, while limited in its utility, is the most viable of Munna’s abilities. The EV spread lets Munna reach 25/14/14 bulk, letting it live powerful attacks such as Scarf Bunnelby’s Return, as well as 10 Speed, an important benchmark for outspeeding key threats when boosted. Berry Juice is for longevity.

Mienfoo @

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Baton Pass

Mienfoo is a second utility Pokemon that serves several key roles for the chain. It is the only member of the chain capable of boosting Attack through Bulk Up. It uniquely carries Mental Herb, preventing the chain from being shut down by opposing Taunt users such as Onix and then shutting them down with its own Taunt. Drain Punch is useful for taking out threats such as Scraggy, as well as the occasional Purrloin, that the main sweepers can’t break through. Poison Jab is viable here too for Cottonee. The EVs and Regenerator come from standard slowfoo.

Sandile @

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 36 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Power Trip
- Beat Up
- Me First
- Rest

Sandile is the team’s intended primary sweeper. In the generation shift, Sandile gained a new toy in Power Trip, a physical Dark-type Stored Power. When combined with Moxie, even bulky resists like Timburr can’t avoid the OHKO after Sandile gets a kill. Beat Up is used to break through SturdyJuice mons and Sash users like Abra and is the reason almost none of the team members run –Atk natures. Me First is exclusively for Scraggy, which 4x resists Dark; it allows Sandile to use Scraggy’s Drain Punch and OHKO it. Rest is useful for random Fake Out users and multiple supereffective priority users. It also works well with Lum Berry, which allows Sandile to come in on stuff like Foongus’s Spore and avoid being crippled by Flame Body users.

Conclusion

Building this team was a lot of fun, and although I know a lot of people disagree, it's a lot of fun to play with. It's been a fun 4 years, Smogon.

Torchic @ Berry Juice
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Aipom @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Run Away
EVs: 116 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Agility
- Bounce
- Baton Pass

Mime Jr. @ Berry Juice
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 116 SpD / 116 Spe
Impish Nature
- Encore
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

Munna @ Berry Juice
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 68 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

Mienfoo @ Mental Herb
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Baton Pass

Sandile @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 36 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Power Trip
- Beat Up
- Me First
- Rest

Aw shucks, thanks buddy!

I have one thing to add, and that is that damage calcs are your friend. When using BP, you should always be calcing. There's no point in setting up more than you need to and risking a crit- the biggest threat to a BP chain. As soon as you get enough boosts you should go for the win with Munna or Sandile.

Have fun using this team!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)