SV OU Returning Player Looking for Advice with Balanced Team

I just recently returned to Showdown after a several (ten?) year hiatus. I haven't played any of the Pokemon games past gen 3 and getting to learn all the new mons and mechanics has been interesting to say the least! After messing around with different team compositions, I found my preferred playstyle to be balanced, with a mix of bulky mons that can switch into a lot of hits and others that hit fast and hard. I've become comfortable with this team, but my Elo is only around mid- to high-1200s so I definitely feel like I can make improvements. I'm looking forward to any advice I can get!

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Raging Bull
- Tera Blast
- Bulk Up

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua is the most polarizing member on my team. Thanks to its good typing, physical defense stats, and Intimidate, Tauros HARD counter several physical threats upon switch-in, and after a couple Bulk Ups it becomes an oppressive physical tank able to take any hit and retaliate with a powerful Body Press or Raging Bull. But on the flip side, Tauros is dead weight against mixed and special attackers due to its poor special defense and speed.
Favorable matchups: Samurott-Hisui, Ursaluna, Kingambit, Great Tusk, Arcanine-Hisui, Baxcalibur. Tera Fairy can surprise and help check some variants of Dragonite, Dragapult, and Walking Wake.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Great overall offensive and defensive presence. Zapdos can take most unboosted attacks and either Roost off the damage or hit back with a respectable special attack stat. The Static ability is great for punishing physical attackers and U-Turn abusers. The speed EVs are for outpacing max speed Great Tusk and OHKOing with Hurricane.
Favorable matchups: Great Tusk, Sneasler, Corviknight, Rillaboom, Meowscarada, Tauros-Paldea-Water, Lilligant-Hisui, Scizor.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Substitute Hydreigon can catch a lot of teams off guard. A sub on a switch or status move usually leads to a mini sweep, if not a total sweep if the opponent's Hydreigon answers are already gone. I do miss being able to fire off raw Draco Meteors, but I've had a ton of success with this set.
Favorable matchups: Rotom-Wash, Heatran, Toxapex, Clodsire, Skeledirge

Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Great check against more passive mons and status setters. This is my go-to Garganacl counter as well as just a good all-around special attacker.
Favorable matchups: Garganacl, Amoonguss, Breloom, Corviknight

Meowscarada @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overgrow
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Meowscarada has awesome speed and decent attack power. Good for revenge killing and picking off weakened opponents. Knock Off is a great spammable move for either dealing tons of damage to ghosts and psychics or removing items. Sucker Punch helps get surprise kills against faster or boosted opponents. U-Turn is fine for a little bit of chip damage here and there, but I'm finding that it doesn't really help me scout and pivot since a lot of mons actually want to stay in with Meowscarada in an attempt to damage or knock it out, so I'm considering other moves (Spikes?) in this slot.
Favorable matchups: Weakened mons, Gholdengo, Dragapult via Sucker Punch

Arcanine-Hisui @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat

Arcanine plays a kamikaze wall breaker role for the team. I've opted for Life Orb instead of Choice Band because it hits nearly as hard while also granting Arcanine the freedom to continue to smash whatever mon is brought in front of it. Tera Grass is great for surviving a ground or water attack and getting off a couple more big hits before going down.
Favorable matchups: Anything slower than it :P

Some thoughts:
  • I don't have any way to remove entry hazards, but most my team doesn't really mind them due to boots or typing.
  • I found it hard to make room for entry hazards, so my team doesn't run any.
  • Tauros forces a lot of switches. It hard counters many physical attackers, so the opponent will always want to bring in something that counters it, which is a long list. Hazard stacking to take advantage of the switches is something to consider.
  • I don't have a dedicated special wall. I tried Assault Vest Ursaluna for a while but it's hits felt too underwhelming. I'm not sure I need a special wall, but it's difficult to deal with a lot of mons after a couple Calm Minds or Nasty Plots.
  • Zamazenta, Enamorus, and Choice Band Basculegion-F mess me up.

Welcome back! Sit down, take a load off, have some cookies.

I'll give you my quick (lol... "quick") thoughts on your team that may help you so don't be afraid to try them out!

~

:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua:/:zapdos:, :Arcanine-Hisui: --> :great tusk:/:corviknight:, :toxapex:
First off, I suggest we swap out Tauros/ Zapdos and Arcanine. Simply put, if you find yourself getting messed up by common SPATK mons, then it wouldn't hurt to throw a good SPDEF wall on the team. Secondly, a good way to remove hazards is almost mandatory in this meta unless you're running full HDB.

Let's start with hazard removal. I would say to either swap out Tauros for Tusk or Zapdos for Corv. Either change will grant you a superb physical wall and a way to remove hazards. Tusk keeps physical attacks in mind while Corv keeps you off the ground so all in all you gain more than you lose. Let's break it down one after the other.

:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua:-->:great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers/ heavy-duty-boost
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Headlonging Rush
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Tusk doesn't grant you a lot of physical bulk, but it allows you to remove hazards, gain a speed boost, and clap back with hard-hitting moves. You still have Zapdos/Corv as a good physical wall, and since I think we should remove Arcanine later, tusk helps fill in the physical attacking gap.

~OR~

:zapdos:-->:corviknight:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Flying
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

Corv still allows you to pivot and hit decently hard, but now you can also remove hazards.

IMO I think the Tusk for Tauros swap is better, but I enjoy giving people options to play around with because they may find that one works better with their play style than the other.

:Arcanine-Hisui: --> :toxapex:
Now we can focus on helping out your SPDEF side. Arcanine-H is good and has some serious power, but it's the most logical (in my mind) mon to trade off for some defense. Pex does a couple of things really well: you can either use Pex as a SPDEF harasser or a complete wall (complete wall being assault vest Pex. But you have good special attackers so I would say to use the former). I prefer the former and think the former would fit best so that's what I am going to outline for you...

Toxapex @ Black Sludge/ leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel/ Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Baneful Bunker
- Infestation

This is what I currently am using and think it would fit pretty well for you. Regenerator helps to recover on switching, infestation helps to trap on switch-ins, while t spikes, toxic, and baneful bunker allow you to punish switching and set up some seriously dangerous hazard before you swap and recover HP with regenerator. Also, black sludge punishes trick but leftovers work well too if you find yourself terastalizing often. You can also use haze if you are having trouble with others setting up on you but I would rather you get good and not let them set up on you in the first place ;)

~

Everything else is a minor tweak that, again, may end up going a long way for you as you become a top-ranking threat of a player ;)

:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua:
Tera Blast --> Aqua Jet
If you decide to keep Tauros, I would make this swap. Since you're going to be adding to your attack stat with bulk up, having a priority move ensures that you can still hit hard even if you would normally get outsped. Tera blast is very situational in this case, especially with a slow bulky mon that may only get one or two hits off on a swap anyway.

:gholdengo:
Covert Cloak --> Air Balloon
Consider this, especially with tera fighting and since you have meowscarada to hit Garg hard.

:Meowscarada:
Heavy-Duty Boots --> Choice band
With the ability to have a stab pivot/ just disgustingly hard-hitting moves in general, and considering how fast you are already, choice band makes a wonderful wall breaker and I would strongly consider making this item swap. Trust me.

~

That's all. Take what I have to say or leave it; either way, I hope this helps. And I hope you become the very best like no one ever was.
Ciao! :mad:

Welcome back! Sit down, take a load off, have some cookies.

I'll give you my quick (lol... "quick") thoughts on your team that may help you so don't be afraid to try them out!

~

:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua:/:zapdos:, :Arcanine-Hisui: --> :great tusk:/:corviknight:, :toxapex:
First off, I suggest we swap out Tauros/ Zapdos and Arcanine. Simply put, if you find yourself getting messed up by common SPATK mons, then it wouldn't hurt to throw a good SPDEF wall on the team. Secondly, a good way to remove hazards is almost mandatory in this meta unless you're running full HDB.

Let's start with hazard removal. I would say to either swap out Tauros for Tusk or Zapdos for Corv. Either change will grant you a superb physical wall and a way to remove hazards. Tusk keeps physical attacks in mind while Corv keeps you off the ground so all in all you gain more than you lose. Let's break it down one after the other.

:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua:-->:great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers/ heavy-duty-boost
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Headlonging Rush
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Tusk doesn't grant you a lot of physical bulk, but it allows you to remove hazards, gain a speed boost, and clap back with hard-hitting moves. You still have Zapdos/Corv as a good physical wall, and since I think we should remove Arcanine later, tusk helps fill in the physical attacking gap.

~OR~

:zapdos:-->:corviknight:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Flying
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

Corv still allows you to pivot and hit decently hard, but now you can also remove hazards.

IMO I think the Tusk for Tauros swap is better, but I enjoy giving people options to play around with because they may find that one works better with their play style than the other.

:Arcanine-Hisui: --> :toxapex:
Now we can focus on helping out your SPDEF side. Arcanine-H is good and has some serious power, but it's the most logical (in my mind) mon to trade off for some defense. Pex does a couple of things really well: you can either use Pex as a SPDEF harasser or a complete wall (complete wall being assault vest Pex. But you have good special attackers so I would say to use the former). I prefer the former and think the former would fit best so that's what I am going to outline for you...

Toxapex @ Black Sludge/ leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel/ Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Baneful Bunker
- Infestation

This is what I currently am using and think it would fit pretty well for you. Regenerator helps to recover on switching, infestation helps to trap on switch-ins, while t spikes, toxic, and baneful bunker allow you to punish switching and set up some seriously dangerous hazard before you swap and recover HP with regenerator. Also, black sludge punishes trick but leftovers work well too if you find yourself terastalizing often. You can also use haze if you are having trouble with others setting up on you but I would rather you get good and not let them set up on you in the first place ;)

~

Everything else is a minor tweak that, again, may end up going a long way for you as you become a top-ranking threat of a player ;)

:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua:
Tera Blast --> Aqua Jet
If you decide to keep Tauros, I would make this swap. Since you're going to be adding to your attack stat with bulk up, having a priority move ensures that you can still hit hard even if you would normally get outsped. Tera blast is very situational in this case, especially with a slow bulky mon that may only get one or two hits off on a swap anyway.

:gholdengo:
Covert Cloak --> Air Balloon
Consider this, especially with tera fighting and since you have meowscarada to hit Garg hard.

:Meowscarada:
Heavy-Duty Boots --> Choice band
With the ability to have a stab pivot/ just disgustingly hard-hitting moves in general, and considering how fast you are already, choice band makes a wonderful wall breaker and I would strongly consider making this item swap. Trust me.

~

That's all. Take what I have to say or leave it; either way, I hope this helps. And I hope you become the very best like no one ever was.
Ciao! :mad:
Thank you for all the input! That's a lot to digest but I'll definitely give each of your suggestions a try and see how the team fares. Much appreciated!!

I just recently returned to Showdown after a several (ten?) year hiatus. I haven't played any of the Pokemon games past gen 3 and getting to learn all the new mons and mechanics has been interesting to say the least! After messing around with different team compositions, I found my preferred playstyle to be balanced, with a mix of bulky mons that can switch into a lot of hits and others that hit fast and hard. I've become comfortable with this team, but my Elo is only around mid- to high-1200s so I definitely feel like I can make improvements. I'm looking forward to any advice I can get!

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Fairy
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Raging Bull
- Tera Blast
- Bulk Up

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua is the most polarizing member on my team. Thanks to its good typing, physical defense stats, and Intimidate, Tauros HARD counter several physical threats upon switch-in, and after a couple Bulk Ups it becomes an oppressive physical tank able to take any hit and retaliate with a powerful Body Press or Raging Bull. But on the flip side, Tauros is dead weight against mixed and special attackers due to its poor special defense and speed.
Favorable matchups: Samurott-Hisui, Ursaluna, Kingambit, Great Tusk, Arcanine-Hisui, Baxcalibur. Tera Fairy can surprise and help check some variants of Dragonite, Dragapult, and Walking Wake.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Great overall offensive and defensive presence. Zapdos can take most unboosted attacks and either Roost off the damage or hit back with a respectable special attack stat. The Static ability is great for punishing physical attackers and U-Turn abusers. The speed EVs are for outpacing max speed Great Tusk and OHKOing with Hurricane.
Favorable matchups: Great Tusk, Sneasler, Corviknight, Rillaboom, Meowscarada, Tauros-Paldea-Water, Lilligant-Hisui, Scizor.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Substitute Hydreigon can catch a lot of teams off guard. A sub on a switch or status move usually leads to a mini sweep, if not a total sweep if the opponent's Hydreigon answers are already gone. I do miss being able to fire off raw Draco Meteors, but I've had a ton of success with this set.
Favorable matchups: Rotom-Wash, Heatran, Toxapex, Clodsire, Skeledirge

Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Great check against more passive mons and status setters. This is my go-to Garganacl counter as well as just a good all-around special attacker.
Favorable matchups: Garganacl, Amoonguss, Breloom, Corviknight

Meowscarada @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Meowscarada has awesome speed and decent attack power. Good for revenge killing and picking off weakened opponents. Knock Off is a great spammable move for either dealing tons of damage to ghosts and psychics or removing items. Sucker Punch helps get surprise kills against faster or boosted opponents. U-Turn is fine for a little bit of chip damage here and there, but I'm finding that it doesn't really help me scout and pivot since a lot of mons actually want to stay in with Meowscarada in an attempt to damage or knock it out, so I'm considering other moves (Spikes?) in this slot.
Favorable matchups: Weakened mons, Gholdengo, Dragapult via Sucker Punch

Arcanine-Hisui @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat

Arcanine plays a kamikaze wall breaker role for the team. I've opted for Life Orb instead of Choice Band because it hits nearly as hard while also granting Arcanine the freedom to continue to smash whatever mon is brought in front of it. Tera Grass is great for surviving a ground or water attack and getting off a couple more big hits before going down.
Favorable matchups: Anything slower than it :P

Some thoughts:
  • I don't have any way to remove entry hazards, but most my team doesn't really mind them due to boots or typing.
  • I found it hard to make room for entry hazards, so my team doesn't run any.
  • Tauros forces a lot of switches. It hard counters many physical attackers, so the opponent will always want to bring in something that counters it, which is a long list. Hazard stacking to take advantage of the switches is something to consider.
  • I don't have a dedicated special wall. I tried Assault Vest Ursaluna for a while but it's hits felt too underwhelming. I'm not sure I need a special wall, but it's difficult to deal with a lot of mons after a couple Calm Minds or Nasty Plots.
  • Zamazenta, Enamorus, and Choice Band Basculegion-F mess me up.
I started Gen 1 but haven't played comp until this Gen 9. Welcome back and I appreciate your post b/c I've learned something as well. Good luck on the ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)