Revisiting Past Gens in 2021

Over the last few months (primarily due to Pokemon's 25th anniversary), I've been replaying a variety of past generations (many for the first time in several years), and thought it'd be interesting to create a thread for us to share our experiences revisiting older games in the present day.

I'll start with a couple of my most recent ones:
My team: :dp/feraligatr: :dp/victreebel: :dp/ampharos: :dp/miltank: :dp/donphan: :dp/ho-oh:
My experience: I remember loving this game with all my heart when it first came out. But during this playthrough, although I still enjoyed parts of it, I honestly didn't have nearly as much fun as I did 11 years ago. I think the main reason for that is because, like the game it's a remake of, it basically just goes all-in on the "discovery" theme, which isn't a good strategy for preserving a game's longevity. For more on that, I'll reiterate what I said in this post:
Having played HGSS 3 times since my initial playthrough, I just can't be wowed by all of that the same way anymore. Like the games they're remakes of, HGSS blow their load in the first playthrough, so while it was easy for me to be awed by them the first time I played them, that veneer started to wear off on subsequent playthroughs, and once it did, what was left was pretty unimpressive. The main story is banal, the much-vaunted second region is boring even with the extra gyms, and it's all wrapped up with a level curve that's still as annoying as ever. I still enjoy coming back to them from time to time, but really only to revisit the Pokeathlon or Battle Frontier.
Anyway, aside from that, this was my first time using Donphan or Miltank, and one of the few times I've ever put a Legendary on my team. The former two were pretty solid, but I would take Gliscor and Tauros over them any day. As for Ho-Oh, well, it's a Legendary, so I'd expect it to be stupidly strong, and that it was.
My team: :xy/chesnaught: :xy/charizard-mega-x: :xy/clawitzer: :xy/absol: :xy/meowstic: :xy/aurorus:
My experience: Somewhat of an antithesis to HeartGold, this was a better game than I remembered it being, even though it's still nowhere near my favorite. You can read the aforementioned post for my full thoughts on that game as well, but here's a snippet:
Lysandre and AZ are surprisingly deep characters, Professor Sycamore is one of the better professors out there, Lumiose City isn't quite as cumbersome to navigate as some people make it out to be, and the Battle Maison is... decent.
As for my team, this playthrough may as well have given a whole new meaning to the phrase "C-team"; my main 3 mons were Chesnaught, Charizard, and Clawitzer, and the others were pretty underwhelming. Absol was a huge disappointment considering its Base 130 Attack stat and access to strong attacks right off the bat, and despite that, it rarely ever did anything memorable. Meowstic was okay, but not stellar. And Aurorus was a complete dud who did virtually nothing.

Feel free to share yours.

Last edited:

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I have done nothing but replay older games since I started getting back into Pokémon again. I'm working my way up to the newer stuff. I guess I'll just give my thoughts for every game I've beaten so far:

Platinum - The game could still use a speed increase, even with the improvements made over D/P, and 8 HMs is torture, but Platinum manages to be pretty good despite that. A decent pool of strong Pokémon, a good level curve that didn't have me grinding too much, bosses that were challenging without feeling like bullshit, a story that kept me fairly engaged, and a good soundtrack. Very fun overall, would probably be my favorite game in the series were it not for the speed and HMs.

HeartGold - I'm nostalgic for this game. I have fond memories of steamrolling the entire game with my starter as a young lad, and was really looking forward to playing this game again. Unfortunately, it doesn't come close to living up to my memories of it. Remember how I said that Platinum is brought down a bit by the speed and 8 HMs? HeartGold has those problems too, and loads of other issues that make it a pretty awful experience IMO. Very few Pokemon that are both good and readily available, an atrocious level curve that leaves players severely underprepared for the late game, poorly-designed bosses (the amount of Johto Pokémon that these people just don't get for no reason is baffling, also Lance), an underwhelming evil team, a second region that feels barren and like a slog, and a bunch of really bizarre decisions like locking some of the new evolutions for Johto Pokémon behind the Battle Frontier. There are things to like about these games, the aesthetic and soundtrack are both incredible, the story with the Kimono Girls is severely overlooked IMO, and following Pokémon is neat, but these things can't save a game that is basically torture to play at points (looking at you, pre-Red grind). Overall, very disappointing, I probably won't return to this one without emulator speedup in the future. What a shame.

White - Oh hey, another game I have nostalgia for, except this one actually holds up. The speed is a massive relief after playing two gen 4 games back-to-back, and there are less HMs with only one being mandatory to beat the game (and you only need to use that one once). It also has an extremely large pool of viable Pokémon, with most Unova Pokémon being at least decent, which is neat and gives the game more replayability. On top of that, it has easily my favorite sprites in the series. It does have problems, like the late evolution levels of a lot of Pokémon and the story going up in flames at the climax, but those don't bring the game down too much for me. Great game overall, probably my favorite. Shame about the post-game, though.

White 2 - All the good things I said about White and Platinum apply to this game too, except there are non-Unova Pokémon and the story is worse. This game is kind of dragged down by the amount of battles you need to do towards the end, though. I got a little fatigued playing the late-game of this one. There's also that really long stretch between gyms 6 and 7 that completely throws off the pace of the game and makes it kind of a slog. Overall, a little worse than White IMO, but still quite good. And the post-game doesn't suck balls this time.

X - This is certainly a Pokémon game. It's fun enough to play casually, but people expecting a challenge are going to be severely let down, and I was pretty unimpressed with the story. Overall, just kinda boring. I fell off Pokémon initially when this came out, and I see why now looking back at it.

Well, that was certainly a lot. Expect more posts as I beat more games.

I am keep replaying:

Diamond
Just for Stealth Rock, making the grinding of good iv pokemon easier for Platinum and softresetting a viarity of legendary Pokemon. Honestly it feels more like homeworḱ to me than enjoyment. Surfing is hellish slow and battles take forever.
Every time I reexperience it, I found out something worse like you can't softreset roaming Pokemon from their stationary position with synchronize. There are way too many legendary Pokemon. And lastly, to transfer Pokemon, I have to keep fighting specific Pokemon. And since the Lake guardians aren't keep responding like in later games, I have to keep retrading stuff from Platinum so I can do that.
Right now I saved in front of Uxie for softresetting a Bold one.

Colosseum
I just play it because it is fun using Espeon and Umbreon as starters and the atmosphere. I do catch all shadow Pokemon in the hopes I get a good Ho-oh one day and maybe some decent legendary beasts, but I am satisfied with the ones I have in Emerald right now.
Boss battles are pretty challenging, accassionally I do 100 battles in storymode to grind and get the last Time Flute.

XD
This game blows the others out of the water. Story and atmosphere is a step back from Colosseum, but the AI is far more capable and the challenges far more refined. Not just that the opponents are overpowered. Orre Colosseum is like a mini battle frontier but so much more needs to put into to beat it.
I think I have yet to finish the bingo challenges. I only finished the ones were you use a bunch of starters.

I have been replaying all of my Gen 4-5 games as part of my current project this year, might as well share some short thoughts on them. I haven't played through the main game in any of them, I have just played around in the post-game. Or, since I have completed most of their post-games as well, it is more the post-post game.

D/P: Ignoring the fact that Platinum exists, I think those games are actually pretty good. Regarding the post-game, they have most of what I consider important in the post-game for a Pokémon game. Large new areas to explore with strong trainers, strong Pokémon and new Pokémon compared to the main game, great training spots, as well as a fun and decently challenging Battle Facility. The only thing I really miss is a fun minigame. I failed to RNG a Shaymin in Pearl but I later got a second chance, thankfully. However, I don't think I could ever replay the main game of D/P, it would just be: "Why am I not playing Platinum instead?". The slowness of the games is also a bit annoying, even in the post-game. Though I found myself getting used to it after a while. D/P are still good even 14 years after their release, but definitely not the best games in the series. They are also obsolete because of Platinum.

Platinum: D/P but better. More content, bigger post-game, and it is faster! I got shocked by the game speed when I went directly from D/P to Platinum, I knew it was faster but I had not expected the difference to be so big. However, one thing D/P does better is that they have way more exclusive events (at least for me, I have English PAL versions of the games, it might be different in other regions/languages). There are 14 which are exclusive to D/P, but only one which is exclusive to Platinum (the Secret Key to get the Rotom forms). Platinum is still better in the end though. Not quite the very best game in the series if you ask me, but very solid overall. Unlike D/P, I could definitely see myself playing through the main game of Platinum in the future.

HG/SS: Everyone knows that I am not very fond of these games, so let's say something positive about them for a change! During my project, I managed to have a bit of fun with them since it involved two of the few things I like about HG/SS: Events and RNG abuse. Like catching a shiny Latios or failing to catch a shiny Misdreavus... though I got it right in the end, ended up getting a failed shiny Phanpy and Quagsire as a random bonus. I also noticed that there were a few areas in my second copy of HeartGold which I had never explored fully, so I decided to do that as well. Got to battle several weak trainers (booooring) but also use the Dowsing Machine to find many hidden items! Which was really fun. Unfortunately, the rest of the games just fall apart. They are so inconvenient in terms of almost everything that it is hard to not get frustrated by everything in them, even seemingly minor things like being unable to Fly between Kanto and Johto. Why that wasn't "fixed" from G/S/C is beyond me. Everytime I go back to these games, it just reconfirms them as my least favorites in the series. I could never replay the main story of them, and I struggle massively with the post-game as well. Nowadays, I only really play these games if I really have to.

B/W: Going from the worst to the best. B/W are still my favorite games (tied with B2/W2), and I just love going back to them. Their post-game is on the same level as that of D/P which is great (though the Subway is way harder than the D/P Tower). Even better, they also have a fun minigame. I know I'm probably the only one, but I loved the Musicals. Only disappointment here was that I failed to RNG a shiny Munna on White, my patience is unfortunately not unlimited so I just gave up after a while. Decided to RNG a shiny Roggenrola instead, it went much easier. Either way, those are still the greatest games in the series IMO, I would really like to replay the main game of them in the future but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, if at all.

B2/W2: Also my favorite games. Best post-game and the most content in the series. I had some really big issues RNGing a shiny Camerupt on White 2, got a failed shiny Drifblim and Skarmory along the way, but I finally got the Camerupt in the end after trying for a while, and it felt so satisfying. Otherwise everything went mostly well, my Timer0s didn't troll me as much as I had expected them to, which was great. After RNGing all the Pokémon I had planned (before Phase 12 begins, which also involves these games but in a somewhat different way), I also did some Funfest Missions and then battled in Black Tower/White Treehollow... and I loved it. In fact, it was almost magic. I can now say that those are two of my favorite areas in the whole series, everything about them is just so perfect. Though if I do go back to them again in the future, I really need to make some new teams for them. That could be fun for a future project, if I ever end up feeling like doing it. Overall amazing games, I kind of want to replay the main game of them as well but I'm not sure if it will ever happen.

Other than those, I have played X and OR/AS a little too, but not very much. I have also played Sword, but it is still the current generation so it doesn't really count for this thread. 5 years ago, during the 20th anniversary, I played around in the post-game for all of my Gen 3-6 games during the pre-release period for S/M, but I have no plans to do something similar this time around. Don't really have the interest for it. Or time, for that matter. I recall that 5 years ago, doing all of it took a fair bit of time, which made it rather stressful in the end, sadly.

The Mind Electric

Just finished Omega Ruby, might as well post about it here.

I don't remember too much about this game, to be honest. It was as easy as X, but I like the aesthetic and soundtrack more, so I would probably put it above X. I like the idea of DexNav as a feature, but I didn't really use it, since there's not much of a need for a casual playthrough. On the story, I thought it was fine. It's a Pokémon game, the story doesn't need to be anything special. Except the Delta Episode, which is bad. Overall, eh.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've basically been spending this whole year playing old Pokemon games in anticipation of BDSP and Legends and scratching my Pokemon itch until those come out ahaha. I really am that excited to revisit Sinnoh again. Anyways, here's what I've revisited so far

Sapphire: I played this again really early in the year and I found that it's pretty darn impressive for its time. Runs really smoothly, the region is wonderful, and the mons are fun. It's unfortunately quite tedious because of the need for excessive grinding and the game is pretty barebones in the grand scheme of things, sadly, which means I basically kinda just put it down and didn't look back afterwards.

Diamond: It's no Platinum but it's still pretty good. Aside from the notorious slow problems and lack of variety I found that the level curve is pretty jank compared to Platinum which is kind of a downside, needed a lot more grinding to deal with such a sloppy level curve. The game lacks polish in many areas but it's certainly not a bad game by any means, even if Platinum outclasses it (and BDSP probably will too)

Platinum: Still one of my favorites, and playing it now I still love it as much as ever. The level curve is solid, there's a strong variety of Pokemon to use, and it's a much more polished experience compared to Diamond. Sinnoh looks a lot more vivid and distinct in Platinum compared to Diamond, the Battle Zone's Battleground, Frontier, and the Villa offer tons of fun post-game stuff to do, and of course, there's Super Contests and whatnot! Plus a lot to explore and Gym Leader/E4 rematches make this a fun experience to play with. Not to mention Vs. Seeker rematches too which is a lot of fun. Still an absolutely fun game and even putting aside my own nostalgia for it I still absolutely enjoy it.

HeartGold: A game that is fun but also very tedious at the same time. The biggest flaw this game has aside from the asinine level curve is the incessant need for hours of grinding on end. That said, I still really, really like this game. Johto is really pretty in this game, and I love the little details like when you hear water flowing near bodies of water, or the sounds when the player moves, and even though following Pokemon is kind of a lacking feature it's a little but fun every now and then and I don't mind it. Pokeathlon is a fun minigame and playing it now reminds me a lot of DS minigames like this and the NSMB DS minigames which were a ton of fun back then. It has a lot of the things carried over from Platinum which still makes it fun. Not as good as Platinum, mind you, but a damn good game all the same. The biggest complaint about it is that I have to spend so much time grinding my ass off to train my mons, but the good things about it are things I still very much appreciate.

Black/White: I have both versions lmao. I replayed White earlier this year. It's a little too linear and the early game is boring as fuck but it picks up nicely afterwards. It's a nice game that had a neat narrative and just about anything is usable to some extent which helps with the game's playability. Playing Black rn at a slower pace and it's a really fun game. I decided to use a semi-rotating team for this game to make up for the middling early mons and the fact that the better mons are all late game: so I use stuff like Watchog and Simisear but box them for better mons later on. When I finish this game I might end up talking about the massive team I accumulated over the course of the playthrough.

That being said, I cannot get over how ugly this game is especially replaying it now. After recently replaying Platinum and HeartGold and seeing how pretty they look on the DS, it's very noticeable that Gen 5 is really hideous and awkward to look at compared to how nice Gen 4 looks in comparison. :blobnauseated:

Y: The more I replay this the more I appreciate this game and love it. It's such a fun yet charming game at the same time. The story may not be the best written but it has its moments, and more than anything it's just such a fun game to relax with. Kalos as a region is beautiful, the gameplay is excellent, and the mon variety is absolutely amazing. The starters are all great, the Kanto starters have strong Megas, and many of the new mons are fun to use while there's a lot of old mons to play with too. Not to mention Pokemon Amie is adorable, and the adventure was all around pretty fun and I really enjoyed my trek through Kalos. It's a brisk, yet simple game but one that is very nice to replay. I find it more replayable than Black because the railroading is no where near as bad as Gen 5 or Gen 7 that came after and it's a nice game to pick up and play. The charm of roller skates, riding Rhyhorn, Skiddo, Mamoswine, etc. is so much fun, and Lumiose City has soo soo much to do. This time I actually went and did the Battle Chateau and that's an excellent training spot, and rising up the ranks to the top created great incentive to keep going there. All in all it's a really solid and excellent game, and I've grown to appreciate it more and more and it might actually establish itself as one of my favorite Pokemon games, especially now that I appreciate it for what it is it's pretty fun. The replay value is immense because of the sheer variety of Pokemon you can use: if I ever feel like replaying this game again, I most certainly won't hesitate to do so. It's just that fun to replay.

Alpha Sapphire: I replayed this as part of the Pokemon Showdown! Pokemon Games community playthroughs, and I had a lot of fun revisiting Hoenn in this game. It may not have the magnitude of content that HGSS did but it more than makes up for it with an engaging story, more in that it fleshes out the characters very nicely in many ways. The game was incredibly enjoyable and it was nice to see Hoenn reimagined in greater detail: especially some particularly beautiful moments like one where I saw a Corsola underwater! What a sight to behold! And did I not mention soaring in the sky? Seeing Hoenn from a sky view is soo good! Finding the mirage islands and seeing Gen 5+ mons and legendaries helps with keeping me playing afterwards. Not to mention upgraded E4 matches, and some cool cinematics made this a pretty great experience in my book. Very fun game, even if it could've done a bit more.

Sun: I like the story but...I dunno, every time I try to replay this I just feel like I have to force myself to get to the finish line. I appreciate the challenge the game has but Alola is so linear and the story is so railroady that it feels like I have no agency in the story. Plus so many Gen 7 mons are either boring/single staged or very weak and bad, and so many are slow. And every island has the Hoenn water problem where it's Yungoos/Alolan Rattata/Wingull everywhere or their evolutions. This is spectacularly boring. I don't hate it, but I have a more fun time playing Gen 6 games than I do this. Lillie is a great character though, and Hau and Gladion certainly have a lot of great moments and there's a bunch of fun little sidequests here and there that make Alola feel alive, so there's a lot to love at the same time. Especially since many of said sidequests involve the Trial Captains. That being said, it has one of the worst cases of early game drag alongside BW1 which makes it an annoying game to replay.

That's basically what I've delved into thus far. I'm currently replaying Black and Ultra Sun and may revisit White 2 in the near future as well. You can maybe expect some updates when I do get to finish my US playthrough and get into revisiting White 2, a game I haven't played in ages oddly enough.

The Mind Electric

I've basically been spending this whole year playing old Pokemon games in anticipation of BDSP and Legends and scratching my Pokemon itch until those come out ahaha. I really am that excited to revisit Sinnoh again. Anyways, here's what I've revisited so far

Sapphire: I played this again really early in the year and I found that it's pretty darn impressive for its time. Runs really smoothly, the region is wonderful, and the mons are fun. It's unfortunately quite tedious because of the need for excessive grinding and the game is pretty barebones in the grand scheme of things, sadly, which means I basically kinda just put it down and didn't look back afterwards.

Diamond: It's no Platinum but it's still pretty good. Aside from the notorious slow problems and lack of variety I found that the level curve is pretty jank compared to Platinum which is kind of a downside, needed a lot more grinding to deal with such a sloppy level curve. The game lacks polish in many areas but it's certainly not a bad game by any means, even if Platinum outclasses it (and BDSP probably will too)

Platinum: Still one of my favorites, and playing it now I still love it as much as ever. The level curve is solid, there's a strong variety of Pokemon to use, and it's a much more polished experience compared to Diamond. Sinnoh looks a lot more vivid and distinct in Platinum compared to Diamond, the Battle Zone's Battleground, Frontier, and the Villa offer tons of fun post-game stuff to do, and of course, there's Super Contests and whatnot! Plus a lot to explore and Gym Leader/E4 rematches make this a fun experience to play with. Not to mention Vs. Seeker rematches too which is a lot of fun. Still an absolutely fun game and even putting aside my own nostalgia for it I still absolutely enjoy it.

HeartGold: A game that is fun but also very tedious at the same time. The biggest flaw this game has aside from the asinine level curve is the incessant need for hours of grinding on end. That said, I still really, really like this game. Johto is really pretty in this game, and I love the little details like when you hear water flowing near bodies of water, or the sounds when the player moves, and even though following Pokemon is kind of a lacking feature it's a little but fun every now and then and I don't mind it. Pokeathlon is a fun minigame and playing it now reminds me a lot of DS minigames like this and the NSMB DS minigames which were a ton of fun back then. It has a lot of the things carried over from Platinum which still makes it fun. Not as good as Platinum, mind you, but a damn good game all the same. The biggest complaint about it is that I have to spend so much time grinding my ass off to train my mons, but the good things about it are things I still very much appreciate.

Black/White: I have both versions lmao. I replayed White earlier this year. It's a little too linear and the early game is boring as fuck but it picks up nicely afterwards. It's a nice game that had a neat narrative and just about anything is usable to some extent which helps with the game's playability. Playing Black rn at a slower pace and it's a really fun game. I decided to use a semi-rotating team for this game to make up for the middling early mons and the fact that the better mons are all late game: so I use stuff like Watchog and Simisear but box them for better mons later on. When I finish this game I might end up talking about the massive team I accumulated over the course of the playthrough.

That being said, I cannot get over how ugly this game is especially replaying it now. After recently replaying Platinum and HeartGold and seeing how pretty they look on the DS, it's very noticeable that Gen 5 is really hideous and awkward to look at compared to how nice Gen 4 looks in comparison. :blobnauseated:

Y: The more I replay this the more I appreciate this game and love it. It's such a fun yet charming game at the same time. The story may not be the best written but it has its moments, and more than anything it's just such a fun game to relax with. Kalos as a region is beautiful, the gameplay is excellent, and the mon variety is absolutely amazing. The starters are all great, the Kanto starters have strong Megas, and many of the new mons are fun to use while there's a lot of old mons to play with too. Not to mention Pokemon Amie is adorable, and the adventure was all around pretty fun and I really enjoyed my trek through Kalos. It's a brisk, yet simple game but one that is very nice to replay. I find it more replayable than Black because the railroading is no where near as bad as Gen 5 or Gen 7 that came after and it's a nice game to pick up and play. The charm of roller skates, riding Rhyhorn, Skiddo, Mamoswine, etc. is so much fun, and Lumiose City has soo soo much to do. This time I actually went and did the Battle Chateau and that's an excellent training spot, and rising up the ranks to the top created great incentive to keep going there. All in all it's a really solid and excellent game, and I've grown to appreciate it more and more and it might actually establish itself as one of my favorite Pokemon games, especially now that I appreciate it for what it is it's pretty fun. The replay value is immense because of the sheer variety of Pokemon you can use: if I ever feel like replaying this game again, I most certainly won't hesitate to do so. It's just that fun to replay.

Alpha Sapphire: I replayed this as part of the Pokemon Showdown! Pokemon Games community playthroughs, and I had a lot of fun revisiting Hoenn in this game. It may not have the magnitude of content that HGSS did but it more than makes up for it with an engaging story, more in that it fleshes out the characters very nicely in many ways. The game was incredibly enjoyable and it was nice to see Hoenn reimagined in greater detail: especially some particularly beautiful moments like one where I saw a Corsola underwater! What a sight to behold! And did I not mention soaring in the sky? Seeing Hoenn from a sky view is soo good! Finding the mirage islands and seeing Gen 5+ mons and legendaries helps with keeping me playing afterwards. Not to mention upgraded E4 matches, and some cool cinematics made this a pretty great experience in my book. Very fun game, even if it could've done a bit more.

Sun: I like the story but...I dunno, every time I try to replay this I just feel like I have to force myself to get to the finish line. I appreciate the challenge the game has but Alola is so linear and the story is so railroady that it feels like I have no agency in the story. Plus so many Gen 7 mons are either boring/single staged or very weak and bad, and so many are slow. And every island has the Hoenn water problem where it's Yungoos/Alolan Rattata/Wingull everywhere or their evolutions. This is spectacularly boring. I don't hate it, but I have a more fun time playing Gen 6 games than I do this. Lillie is a great character though, and Hau and Gladion certainly have a lot of great moments and there's a bunch of fun little sidequests here and there that make Alola feel alive, so there's a lot to love at the same time. Especially since many of said sidequests involve the Trial Captains. That being said, it has one of the worst cases of early game drag alongside BW1 which makes it an annoying game to replay.

That's basically what I've delved into thus far. I'm currently replaying Black and Ultra Sun and may revisit White 2 in the near future as well. You can maybe expect some updates when I do get to finish my US playthrough and get into revisiting White 2, a game I haven't played in ages oddly enough.
Good post, rated Angry because you called gen 5 ugly.

I've also been replaying only older generations since I got back into Pokémon around the beginning of the pandemic last year. Of those generations, I got a chance to play Emerald for the first time. I played Sapphire several years ago when I owned it but never got the chance to play Emerald.

I have to say, I'm just thoroughly impressed by this game. It's the only game that I think gives Platinum a run for its money as the best in the series. Let me go through the list of reasons why Emerald personally appeals to me so much:

1. Swampert - Arguably the best in game starter ever with a great design to boot. The only reason Infernape beats it out is due to an even superior design and also stellar in game performance. Another thing I love about Swampert is its typing thematically works well with the struggle between water and earth as the plot of this game. It's like the chosen Pokémon to bring balance as silly as that sounds lol.

2. Region - This is a huge selling point. Hoenn might be the most beautifully designed region in the series with its geographical diversity and complex puzzles. Only Sinnoh is in contention otherwise. I love the fact that the first half of the region is heavily land based and the other half is water based. It works well with the nature based theme of this game.

3. Villains - This is an underrated selling point. The struggle between two villain teams vying for their respective element works very well with the region in my opinion. I think the original RS and ORAS plot of making only one team villainous undercuts the point that nature is about balance and both sides should be considered evil if they want too much of their element to overtake a region. The bosses of each team are a bit underwhelming in terms of difficulty, but I can get behind the plot pretty easily.

4. Bosses - Not as good as Platinum but still pretty good. Steven is still a great final boss even though I would've preferred him as champion. And though I don't like Wallace's lack of difficulty, I've come to rationalize that the two champions of the region (Wallace and Steven) represent the dichotomy between water and earth, respectively, that encompasses the entire region. I can tie practically everything back to the nature based theme of this game.

5. Battle Frontier - Last but certainly not least. I think this post by Codraroll is the best description of the Frontier I've ever read. It's as much a visual spectacle as it is splendid in practice. It truly makes you feel like an Olympian competing for medals (or symbols in this case). Factory, Dome and the Pyramid are all tremendous. I'm somewhat ambivalent towards the Tower and Arena. Pike and especially Palace could've been done better. But still, this is just an amazing feature all around that unfortunately spoils me because I expect this type of thing in every Pokémon game and am sorely disappointed when it's missing.

My only two big criticisms of this game aside from Steven not being champion are:

1. Rivals - May/Brendan were pretty lackluster since you never faced their final starter evolution. I saw them more as a sparring partner whereas Wally was more of a legitimate peer. As for Wally himself, they could've paced his development better rather than all of a sudden making him amazing on Victory Road. Ultimately, one rival rather than two would've been a better design choice.

2. Regional dex - Just ok, not particularly great. Mostly Hoenn mons, some Kanto, very few Johto. There are some nice Hoenn mons, but a lot of duds too. B2W2 and Platinum pretty easily beat Emerald in this department for me.

Overall though, Emerald is an S tier game that kind of gets lost in the shuffle with the Platinum, HGSS and B2W2 praise. It deserves high praise itself and I'm happy to give it to it today.

Actually, I also decided to play through two copies of Diamond I had lying around (My neighbors left me their copies of Pokemon games when they retired).

I feel pretty much the same as you when it comes up to the game still being good and with it having a somewhat steep level curve (For the Pokémon League, at least). However, in my experience, the level curve made the playthrough a lot more...interesting.

I beat the league in both carts with all Pokémon in under level 50. I only managed because the AI in this game is awful. I'm thinking I might not have been able to pull that same stunt in Platinum. That, and having access to so many Pokémon With Intimidate sort of trivializes Cynthia and her Garchomp.

I beat the league in both carts with all Pokémon in under level 50. I only managed because the AI in this game is awful. I'm thinking I might not have been able to pull that same stunt in Platinum. That, and having access to so many Pokémon With Intimidate sort of trivializes Cynthia and her Garchomp.
The AI doesn't get criticized enough when it comes to DP. It's literally just random even when it comes to major bosses. And the new system excuse doesn't hold much water to me since Ruby/Sapphire's AI was quite good despite migrating over to the GBA.

People say "Higher level curve in DP" but trust me having played both extensively, Platinum is much harder due to its improved AI.

And the new system excuse doesn't hold much water to me since Ruby/Sapphire's AI was quite good despite migrating over to the GBA.
I get the feeling the AI has been steadily turning into mush with each passing gen.

Teambuilding for hacks is quite frankly a chore because of it. Take SwSh for example. I gave Bede 1's Hatenna Life Dew. Iirc it was just because it was at the proper level for it, so why not?

Tested it.

Man spammed that at full health. :facepalm:

I gotta take a better look at that one of these days, this is just ridiculous.

As for past games...

Playing Pearl when I can to test for the DPPt Thread. People that take a dump on it probably got Plat on their minds. A lot of the stuff that made Sinnoh great in the first place is already there and it got me even more hype for BDSP.

I'm low key dreading this, but I wanna replay Black 1 one of these days. The more things I remember about these games, the worse they sound. Now I'm curious to see how they stack up nowadays. Haven't played Gen 5 since release tbh. Between it being so freaking ugly and me having PBR, I just got more mileage out of Plat and HGSS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)