ORAS OU Rhodochrosite - Mega Diancie VoltTurn HO

Talon's gif is massive...

Intersection felt like it had something missing - like there was something that kept me from enjoying it. It wasn’t a lack of defensive capability, or even the type and pokemon combination killing my illogical yet so logical brain. It felt passive. Even with that much investment, it felt like Scizor couldn’t hit - like all it was good for was an bulky pivot and nothing more. BD Azumarill wasn’t supported enough by the team and basically contributed nothing to the team’s offensive presence early-game. This is why even though it made me quite a lot weaker to some threats like Tornadus-T and Thundy, I prefer Specs Raikou on that team.

Therefore, I went on my quest to build an offensive VoltTurn in of which the VoltTurn core was a large part of the offensive presence, and with teammates that are no slouch offensively either. Now, I present to you, my Mega Diancie VoltTurn HO.

My first idea was which mega I believed would suit an offensive VoltTurn the best. Mega Diancie is something that I rapidly gravitated to not only because it can abuse VoltTurn quite effectively - it indirectly supports it with Magic Bounce keeping hazards off. Realistically Mega Diancie loses to most hazard setters, but it still helps.

I wanted a VoltTurn core right after setting Diancie down in the team. Before I even made the team, I wanted the VoltTurn core to hit as hard as possible. Therefore, I selected Band Scizor and Specs Raikou, the former which has the most powerful U-turn up to OU and the latter of which still hits hard and has a great speed tier.

The team lacked a rocks setter and a win-condition at this point - and SD Earth Plate Lando-T doubled as both while still hitting hard and abusing VoltTurn.

As I said, Diancie still loses to most rocks setters in the tier, so an offensive spinner would fit quite well. While the tier does possess a severe lack of spinners, offensive Starmie still fits the team quite well, as offering more power, speed, and Keldeo checking.

The team lacked an absorber of Spore which didn’t die to a hit from a grass STAB, as well as needing a solid cleaner against offense. Serperior fit in quite well, being an excellent partner to Mega Diancie.

However, I found that the team had a significant weakness to Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur, and switching to Talonflame has proved itself to be worth it despite adding a compound water weakness.

Radiance (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Mega Diancie is definitely quite the significantly buffed mega. It went from a mediocre tank that nobody really used half decently to a fearsome fast mixed attacker. Sure, it’s crystals might have as well as converted into glass in the process but that’s why Protect Attacker is one of, if not the most popular set around. Protect is good for much more than safe mega evolution - it lets you scout scarfers and moves while not having to worry about hazards being set that turn, worrying about nothing but opposing boosting. This set is quite standard with a variation on it. 80 Attack EVs allow Mega Diancie to OHKO Gengar with Diamond Storm, provide more general power that also makes it far more likely to OHKO Mega Alakazam, and 376 Atk / 400 SpA / 350 Spe sits really well with my brain. All-in-all, Mega Diancie provides a significant source of power, Mega Sableye killing, and a decent amount of indirect support even though it loses to the majority of rock setters.

Carnelian (Scizor) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Half a year ago, I couldn’t build with Scizor. Now, I can’t build without Scizor. I’ve used this exact set so many times I can’t help but feel I’d just be repeating myself by now, so I’ll just cover what the set does - even if it’s repetitive, it’s the important stuff. Scizor is a vital member of the team for many, many reasons. It provides my main method of dealing with psychic-types, is a decent revenge killer, and is capable of powering through Ferrothorn for Mega Diancie if it really has to.

Corundum (Raikou) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raikou is my teambuilding crutch, and I don’t think that will get any better when Volt Absorb becomes legal. Specs Raikou provides another significant source of powerful pivoting. Unlike Scizor, it does not quite have the hardest hitting relevant pivot move of its STAB, but it’s often more than enough power. Whereas AV Raikou is a passive malformed sponge that can’t even guarantee the OHKO on Keldeo, Specs Raikou can actually almost always 2HKO Mixed Bulk Hippowdon after rocks. Extrasensory is run over Shadow Ball mostly to hit Mega Venusaur which Diancie hates. Specs Raikou completes the VoltTurn core, puts a bandage over the first two’s hatred of bulky waters, and provides a decent amount of speed as well.

Axinite (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 152 HP / 112 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

I use this set on one team and it finds its way on every VoltTurn I built after that, I swear. Lando-T is my rocks setter, possible win-condition against fatter builds. Rotom-W is the bane of more than just one member of this team so Smack Down turns it into a sitting duck, while Swords Dance is necessary for set-up. 112 Atk Adamant EVs provides the same attack as 252 Atk Jolly, the Speed investment speed creeps max speed Heatran, the rest is dumped into bulk. A more optimised EV spread - perhaps for nabbing a vital KO or living a vital hit would be nice though. Finally, Lando-T, of course, provides a major source of immediate and devastating screen shaking.

Aragonite (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Starmie continues to be one of the most reliable spinners in existence after Aegislash remained caged like the overcentralizing possessed blade it is. Starmie is possibly the most disposable and pressured member of the team - it’s extremely valuable as the team’s only water resist but also often my first decision to sack. A defensive set can be done but then Mega Gyarados sets up and wins 70% of the time with just a little bit of prior damage on Scizor or forces a Lando-T sack. Thunderbolt was selected over Psyshock to prevent Mega Gyarados from setting up on it while also doing decent damage to bulky waters.

Cuprite (Talonflame) (F) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

A year ago I went out of my way to not build with Talonflame. Now here on this team it found its place to shred through Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur, the first of which is almost intolerable without Talonflame despite Serp carrying HP Fire, and the latter flat-out walling everything but Raikou - although thankfully it’s not nearly as common as Ferro. Talonflame is the main win-condition although it can be sacked for other means of winning if you wish. Max-max was run as a spread over the standard 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe spread as I would much rather outprioritize Weavile’s Ice Shard and at least speed tie with other Talonflame, although I sometimes miss the extra HP allowing for more Brave Birds. Talonflame brought a compound water-weakness over Serperior, but I’m personally more concerned with what I can’t break than what I can’t switch into.

This is a team that I have greatly enjoyed using, but there’s also another reason why I’m RMT’ing it. It’s not that I believe that it’s ‘good enough’, it’s that I believe that it’s not the optimal build for this team. Thank you for reading (or skimming), and I’ll appreciate just about any reasonable rate.

Scald: Cripples Scizor 100% 30% of the time, hits three members super-effectively of which only one is immune to burns, and when fired off of a Keldeo - Starmie and Raikou aren’t switching in, period.

Bisharp: Get two dozen percent of damage on Mega Diancie and it powers through everything provided it wins the 50/50 with Talonflame. Can set-up on Scizor locked into BP/Pursuit and Raikou locked into Extrasensory/HP Ice.

Rotom-W: Counters set-up win-condition, only one member can come in and beat it - only once and then it can still be taken advantage of by just switching out. It forces obnoxious guessing games and usually claims a victim or cripples a member or two. Best case scenario I Smack Down it on the switch with Lando-T.

Mega Manectric Build:

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Axinite (Landorus-Therian) @ Soft Sand
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

Aragonite (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Some pretty major problems with a +2 Bisharp but if you can, then don't let it set up. The loss of one choice user helps in such an endeavor.

Mega Lopunny Build: (Used suggestions by soulgazer)

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Axinite (Landorus-Therian) @ Soft Sand
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Cuprite (Talonflame) (F) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Rather weak to fast and powerful electrics on one hand, nor is it really HO anymore. On the other hand, it can actually take hits.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Most of your suggestions doesn't change much; Specs Raikou easily deals damage on Rotom-W with Specs Tbolt, and HP Ice is way more important for the team. He also needs Tbolt on Starmie for Gyarados and it still help him to handle Keldeo.

I feel like the main issue with your build is the choice of the 'mons. You rely on Scizor and Talon to revenge kill threats on offense and also rely on Scizor as your only decent Weavile switch in. I never really have been a fan of Specs Raikou since lockng yourself into a move often ends up making it setup fodder, which a team like yours doesn't want. I'm also not too sure about M-Diancie since while it strong and all, it loses to most SR setters anyways which force you to use a slot on Starmie to help with hazards too. Your best bet would probably be to mess around with other Pokemon over M-Diancie and Raikou to possibly cover most of the current problem the team has.

Hoping this was helpful despite being kind of vague!

e: vm'd you some ideas :O

Last edited:
Most of your suggestions doesn't change much; Specs Raikou easily deals damage on Rotom-W with Specs Tbolt, and HP Ice is way more important for the team. He also needs Tbolt on Starmie for Gyarados and it still help him to handle Keldeo.

I feel like the main issue with your build is the choice of the 'mons. You rely on Scizor and Talon to revenge kill threats on offense and also rely on Scizor as your only decent Weavile switch in. I never really have been a fan of Specs Raikou since lockng yourself into a move often ends up making it setup fodder, which a team like yours doesn't want. I'm also not too sure about M-Diancie since while it strong and all, it loses to most SR setters anyways which force you to use a slot on Starmie to help with hazards too. Your best bet would probably be to mess around with other Pokemon over M-Diancie and Raikou to possibly cover most of the current problem the team has.

Hoping this was helpful despite being kind of vague!
It definitely provides some sense of direction for somewhere to go, and I've been feeling like something was off for quite a long time. One of my ideas for experimentation is changing MDiancie to MManectric and swapping out Raikou for something that can stomach a hit from water + kill Bisharp which would fit something along Breloom, BD SubSalac Chesnaught/some weird offensive spiker set, and Keldeo which gives a bit of an issue with electrics but it's not like any of those don't lose to Mega Man anyways which is the biggest problem with that idea. Regardless, like I said, it gives me an idea of where I could go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)