Riders on the Storm - A OU Rain team

What's up guys! Enough greetings, I'll go straight to the point. I made this team a long time ago, but forgot to post it here so you can give me some advice.

This teams works surprisingly well for a non legendary team, even with its flaws. I've been having some trouble with other teams (I'll mention them in threats section) but still manages pull off some wins.

Here is it, have fun rating, and be nice please!

Also, I need some help choosing a mega for the team. I would appreciate if you can suggest one

Sapo Clyde (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Perish Song
- Encore

The rain inducer. Damp Rock ensures the 8 turn drizzle, and the evs and nature allow him to be physically defensive. Scald hits decently under rain, and may leave burns. I prefer it instead of hydro pump for accuracy issues. Focus blast deals with tyranitar, ferrothorn and others. Perish song puts an end to those baton pass teams and puts pressure to switch ins that try to set up. Encore locks stealth rock and setup users, allowing other teammates to switch in and deal with them.

El OVNI (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 48 Def / 208 SDef / 252 HP
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

A great mixed wall that loves the rain. Ferrothorn with rocky helmet leaves his mark with physical attackers who dare to touch it. The evs and nature are distributed to let him work as a mixed wall. Power whip hits hard water types and magic bouncer switch ins like espeon. Leech seed recovers hp and messes up with switches. Stealth rock for hazards. Thunder wave cripples switches and pokes trying to set up.

Batiman (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 216 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Protect

Seeing gliscor in a rain team is a bit odd, but it has proven to work extremely well as a physical wall and a trusty lead. Toxic orb lets him be immune to status and provides a reliable recovery. The evs spread let him oustpeed adamant lucario and timid smeargle. STAB earthquake to hit foes (seriously, what else I can say?). Knock off gives him coverage and works well to to take out items from switch ins. Taunt works extremely well to screw smeargle, setup sweepers and walls. Also seems to work nicely with politoed's encore. Protect lets him scout and recover some hp with poison heal.

F.U.F.O. (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

An excellent physical tank, now working as a special tank also with the help of assault vest. Metagross really loves rain support, allowing him to tank fire attacks comfortably. The evs and nature let him hit hard and tank well. Zen headbutt deals with fighting and poison types (mega venusaur). Meteor mash nails fairy types, but can be changed to hammer arm for coverage. Earthquake adds even more coverage. Rock slide is a nasty surprise for talonflame and volcarona, OHKOing both, and serious damage for other flying types (except skarmory)

Randy Savage (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Azumarill likes water, making his aqua jets hit even harder. Choice band gives him maximum damage possible second to belly drum. Evs let him outspeed blissey and ohko her with superpower. Aqua jet revenge kills weakened pokes. Waterfall is another stab, hitting hard with the aid of rain. Play rough destroys anything that doesn't resist it, even other fairies. Superpower deals with ttar and chansey/blissey

Sabroson (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

The main boy in the rain team. Ludicolo comes back from the swift swim ban.. angry. Life orb boosts every single attack. Evs and nature are for special attack and speed under the rain. Surf is a trustworthy stab over hydro pump, cuz accuracy. Giga drain is another stab allowing him to devastate quagsire, swampert and others, and offers recovery from life orb recoil damage. Focus Blast hits hard the likes of bisharp, ttar and others. Ice beam slays dragons and x4 weaks to ice.

Alright, the team seems a bit non threatening, but it's a bit scary irl, but it has its weaknesses. That's why I'm asking for your help guys to make this team even more scarier.
I'll now note the threats/cons I've seen:
  • Sun Teams
  • No clerics in the team
  • Talonflame
  • Mega Venusaur (if metagross is dead/asleep)
  • Rotom W (If ferro is burned/dead, if ludicolo is dead/asleep)
  • Electric types
  • No mega evolution in the team

There you have the team. I would looove if you could suggest a mega evolution too, because I lack one. Again, thanks for your time and advice!

I see no Defog or Rapid Spin user, so I'd probably recommend Mega Blastoise for a bulky spinner who gets a Rain boost. No idea who to take out for it though :/

Also Mega Manectric might be worth looking into for Thunder spam in the rain. Again, not sure who you would take out for it. I'm not too familiar with XY rain teams.

Hey! gonna bring out a few suggestions for your team.

I would maybe try Rest in place of Perish Song, as that gives Politoed more longevity, giving you more options to set up rain during the game. Also, Focus Blast is really only meant to be used on offensive sets, and if Ferrothorn is a trouble for rain team. Seeing as that isn't the case, I would maybe try Toxic in place of FB, so that you can punish walls who don't mind your moderately weak special attacks. Also, I think max. specially defensive with Calm nature spread compliments Politoed's natural bulk better. I also don't know what I think about Gliscor, as absolutely the only things he has is his ability to ToxicStall, and moderately fast Taunt, but that's most likely it. Otherwise Landorus-T does everything Gliscor does, but muc better. Although I wouldn't advise using even him on a rain team. You could maybe try Zapdos in place of Gliscor, since it has a decent synergy with Ferrothorn, and he provides you with Defog support, which might come beneficial. Mew can also come in beneficial if you need a fast Taunt, and it's quite bulky on both sides of the spectrum. Metagross is also an inteersting choice. I'm not entirely sure if it works all that well in OU environment, even without Fire weakness, but since he fills such a specific niche, it's a bit hard to go and switch him. You could consider Knock Off on Azumarill, since that's generally a better option. Superpower is only really needed if Ferrothorn is a huge problem for your team, but I think you could afford to run Knock Off.

First of all, I need to say, not every team needs a Mega Pokemon, if there are no roles the Mega can fill. Megas are used because they're normal the best in their respective roles, but for a specific playstyle as this, it might be hard to find a good Mega. That being said, I do think M-Manectric could fit your team well, maybe replacing Gliscor. He can check Talonflame and Rotom-W very effectively, and provide your team with fast and powerful Thunders. Good luck with the team!

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Got your PM, I'm building a Rain HO right now so you got me at the right time too lol.

Politoed: Ice Beam over either Encore or Destiny Bond (or actually Focus Blast now that I think about it).

Ferrothorn: Actually works so well on Rain, imma steal this if you're ok with that lol. I like the set.

Gliscor: Interesting, I definitely see what you were going for here, you really need a secondary Rain Dancer though so I would suggest:

Tornadus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower
Hurricane 100% accuracy in the rain

or

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Thunder is 100% in the rain.

Metagross: The weakest link imo, switch him for one of the others mentioned above or for your mega,

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Azu and Ludi: Both good sets.

Tornadus handles Venu, Thundurus handles Talonflame.

Good luck!

Got your PM, I'm building a Rain HO right now so you got me at the right time too lol.

Politoed: Ice Beam over either Encore or Destiny Bond (or actually Focus Blast now that I think about it).

Ferrothorn: Actually works so well on Rain, imma steal this if you're ok with that lol. I like the set.

Gliscor: Interesting, I definitely see what you were going for here, you really need a secondary Rain Dancer though so I would suggest:

Tornadus (M) @ Leftovers
Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower

or

Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Metagross: The weakest link imo, switch him for one of the others mentioned above or for your mega,

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good luck!
Okay I believe Wally Smitty has stated that this is a Non-Legendary Team, most likely for Wifi battling purposes, so some of your sets wouldn't work out for him :(. Also, Flamethrower isn't the best option on a rain team on Manectric. Not much else to use, though. Maybe Rain Dance instead? IMO, Manectric isn't ideal for this team because it cant really beat some of the main threats of the team: Venusaur and those pesky electric types.

Anyways, One thing that others have not mentioned is to use a Physically Defensive Tentacruel > Gliscor. Under the rain, it heals the same percentage of HP as Gliscor. Also, it is a good rapid spinner and pretty bulky on both sides with investment. It isn't as physically bulky as Gliscor, but functions under rain better and can also Toxic stall. And yes, change Focus Blast out for Protect or Ice Beam and maybe try Toxic over encore. Also, Metagross should changed for a good Flying Spam pokemon to deal with your Venusaur problems. I suggest Life Orb Mixed Attacking Dragonite or Mega Pinsir. After this, I'd use Kabutops > Ludicolo as a Swift Swim sweeper, as it destroys Talonflames all day and can set up Sword Dances with its nice Physical bulk. Rotom Wash, contrary to popular believe, will eventually die, especially from a +2 Stone Edge from Kabutops.

Sets
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 244 Def / 248 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 180 Spd / 76 Atk
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Superpower/Aqua Tail/Extremespeed
- Roost

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
Good Luck!

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I got your request, and I'll do my best.

The team is well structured, for the most part. However, there are some issues. The main problem is rain doesn't last forever, and as such Hyper Offense is the only viable strategy. Rain Defense isn't that good any more. If you want to use a great rain team, and you should, there are 6 things you need.

1. Politoed √
2. Back Up Rain Setter X
3. Wall √
4. Electric Type X
5. Physical Water Abuser √
6. Special Water Abuser √

Of course that's just a rough list. Some aren't necessary, but some are.

1. First, you have Politoed. It's mandatory, and you have it. Perish Song is pretty useless, even against BP. I'd suggest using Rest instead.
2. Second, you need another rain setter. The problem you have is the best three, Deoxys-S, Thundurus-I, and Tornadus-I, are all legendary. To be honest I'd use 'em, but if you don't want to, no one's making you. Hazards are also important, so I'd consider running Klefki, as with Twave, Spikes, and Rain Dance, it makes a good lead that takes early pressure of of Toed. Sableye also works, but lacks hazards.
3. Losing momentum is bad for a rain team: bad. That's why only one wall should be used. The wall should benefit from the rain, so Ferrothorn is a fantastic choice. Your set is good now. Nix Gliscor and Metagross though; they're just wasting space.
4. Your team is missing out on powerful Thunders. Mega Ampharos, with Agility, hits like a monster and can really clean up games with Thunder, Dragon Pulse, and Focus Blast. Manectric wouldn't work well, thanks to Flamethrower's power being cut.
5. Physical Water Abuser: You have Azumarill, which is cool. However, I believe Kabutops would be better, as it is so much faster, and the point of rain is to hit hard and fast. Also, I'd recommend Knock Off instead of Superpower. Other options include Gyarados, Crawdaunt, and Toxicroak.
6. Special Water Abuser: You have Ludicolo, which is cool. It hits reasonably hard, and is super fast. Other options for this include Keldeo, Kingdra, Omastar, and Seismitoed.

I apologize if I changed it too much, but I think it's better now. There is a reason rain stall died out, and Tentacruel isn't good anymore; 7 turns just isn't enough. Rain is only a powerful tool when used hyper offensively.

So, your ideal team, imo, would be Politoed / Klefki / Ferrothorn / Ampharos / Kabutops / Ludicolo. I'd seriously reconsider not using legendaries, but whatever...

Hopefully this helped!

Hey! gonna bring out a few suggestions for your team.

I would maybe try Rest in place of Perish Song, as that gives Politoed more longevity, giving you more options to set up rain during the game. Also, Focus Blast is really only meant to be used on offensive sets, and if Ferrothorn is a trouble for rain team. Seeing as that isn't the case, I would maybe try Toxic in place of FB, so that you can punish walls who don't mind your moderately weak special attacks. Also, I think max. specially defensive with Calm nature spread compliments Politoed's natural bulk better. I also don't know what I think about Gliscor, as absolutely the only things he has is his ability to ToxicStall, and moderately fast Taunt, but that's most likely it. Otherwise Landorus-T does everything Gliscor does, but muc better. Although I wouldn't advise using even him on a rain team. You could maybe try Zapdos in place of Gliscor, since it has a decent synergy with Ferrothorn, and he provides you with Defog support, which might come beneficial. Mew can also come in beneficial if you need a fast Taunt, and it's quite bulky on both sides of the spectrum. Metagross is also an inteersting choice. I'm not entirely sure if it works all that well in OU environment, even without Fire weakness, but since he fills such a specific niche, it's a bit hard to go and switch him. You could consider Knock Off on Azumarill, since that's generally a better option. Superpower is only really needed if Ferrothorn is a huge problem for your team, but I think you could afford to run Knock Off.

First of all, I need to say, not every team needs a Mega Pokemon, if there are no roles the Mega can fill. Megas are used because they're normal the best in their respective roles, but for a specific playstyle as this, it might be hard to find a good Mega. That being said, I do think M-Manectric could fit your team well, maybe replacing Gliscor. He can check Talonflame and Rotom-W very effectively, and provide your team with fast and powerful Thunders. Good luck with the team!
thanks for the tips! Personally, I've been thinking bout changing focus blast, but then I would lose some coverage. Also, wow, tons of legendary suggestions. And azumarill isn't too good with knock off cuz I use it with choice band and as a battering ram. There has been opportunities I've had to use superpower, maybe I can replace it with facade, in case im crippled. And yes, finding a mega spot here is a bit hard

Tornadus (M) @ Leftovers
Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower

or

Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions! Take the ferro set with you! You'll be surprised how well it works. Ice beam in politoed has been something I've thought some time ago, may use it. Also, I'm trying to make a non legendary team, but thx for the suggestions.

Okay I believe Wally Smitty has stated that this is a Non-Legendary Team, most likely for Wifi battling purposes, so some of your sets wouldn't work out for him :(. Also, Flamethrower isn't the best option on a rain team on Manectric. Not much else to use, though. Maybe Rain Dance instead? IMO, Manectric isn't ideal for this team because it cant really beat some of the main threats of the team: Venusaur and those pesky electric types.

Anyways, One thing that others have not mentioned is to use a Physically Defensive Tentacruel > Gliscor. Under the rain, it heals the same percentage of HP as Gliscor. Also, it is a good rapid spinner and pretty bulky on both sides with investment. It isn't as physically bulky as Gliscor, but functions under rain better and can also Toxic stall. And yes, change Focus Blast out for Protect or Ice Beam and maybe try Toxic over encore. Also, Metagross should changed for a good Flying Spam pokemon to deal with your Venusaur problems. I suggest Life Orb Mixed Attacking Dragonite or Mega Pinsir. After this, I'd use Kabutops > Ludicolo as a Swift Swim sweeper, as it destroys Talonflames all day and can set up Sword Dances with its nice Physical bulk. Rotom Wash, contrary to popular believe, will eventually die, especially from a +2 Stone Edge from Kabutops.

Good Luck!
thanks for the suggestions hjwang! Regarding gliscor, I dont really use it to toxic stall but to taunt and as a wall. However I may give it a try. Also I'll try mixed dnite and mega pinsir (I like mega pinsir a lot). And kabutops, I know it's a bit frail, even with that defense, and has no recovery method.

Hey! I got your request, and I'll do my best.

The team is well structured, for the most part. However, there are some issues. The main problem is rain doesn't last forever, and as such Hyper Offense is the only viable strategy. Rain Defense isn't that good any more. If you want to use a great rain team, and you should, there are 6 things you need.

1. Politoed √
2. Back Up Rain Setter X
3. Wall √
4. Electric Type X
5. Physical Water Abuser √
6. Special Water Abuser √

Of course that's just a rough list. Some aren't necessary, but some are.

1. First, you have Politoed. It's mandatory, and you have it. Perish Song is pretty useless, even against BP. I'd suggest using Rest instead.
2. Second, you need another rain setter. The problem you have is the best three, Deoxys-S, Thundurus-I, and Tornadus-I, are all legendary. To be honest I'd use 'em, but if you don't want to, no one's making you. Hazards are also important, so I'd consider running Klefki, as with Twave, Spikes, and Rain Dance, it makes a good lead that takes early pressure of of Toed. Sableye also works, but lacks hazards.
3. Losing momentum is bad for a rain team: bad. That's why only one wall should be used. The wall should benefit from the rain, so Ferrothorn is a fantastic choice. Your set is good now. Nix Gliscor and Metagross though; they're just wasting space.
4. Your team is missing out on powerful Thunders. Mega Ampharos, with Agility, hits like a monster and can really clean up games with Thunder, Dragon Pulse, and Focus Blast. Manectric wouldn't work well, thanks to Flamethrower's power being cut.
5. Physical Water Abuser: You have Azumarill, which is cool. However, I believe Kabutops would be better, as it is so much faster, and the point of rain is to hit hard and fast. Also, I'd recommend Knock Off instead of Superpower. Other options include Gyarados, Crawdaunt, and Toxicroak.
6. Special Water Abuser: You have Ludicolo, which is cool. It hits reasonably hard, and is super fast. Other options for this include Keldeo, Kingdra, Omastar, and Seismitoed.

I apologize if I changed it too much, but I think it's better now. There is a reason rain stall died out, and Tentacruel isn't good anymore; 7 turns just isn't enough. Rain is only a powerful tool when used hyper offensively.

So, your ideal team, imo, would be Politoed / Klefki / Ferrothorn / Ampharos / Kabutops / Ludicolo. I'd seriously reconsider not using legendaries, but whatever...

Hopefully this helped!

Thanks for all those tips!. You made some serious points out there. Actually there was one time I used klefki. It freakin ruled. Ampharos is an excellent mega. About azumarill. The thing I like most of it is that he can work outside the water too with his play roughs and immunity to dragons (could work well with mega ampharos). Also, knock off in banded azumarill is that good?

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Politoed

• Replace Focus Blast with Ice Beam
  • Consider using Hypnosis instead of Perish Song
Ferrothorn

• Good, don't change
Gliscor

• Interesting set, get rid of Taunt though and put either Toxic or Ice Fang
Metagross

• Bullet Punch should be somewhere on that set, I don't care where, just add it. (I recommend getting rid of Rock Slide
Azumarill

• Consider Knock Off somewhere (Maybe Superpower or Waterfall) to hit Aegislash
Ludicolo is good

Politoed

• Replace Focus Blast with Ice Beam
  • Consider using Hypnosis instead of Perish Song
Ferrothorn

• Good, don't change
Gliscor

• Interesting set, get rid of Taunt though and put either Toxic or Ice Fang
Metagross

• Bullet Punch should be somewhere on that set, I don't care where, just add it. (I recommend getting rid of Rock Slide
Azumarill

• Consider Knock Off somewhere (Maybe Superpower or Waterfall) to hit Aegislash
Ludicolo is good

Thanks for the suggestions, man. Well, with politoed, if I get rid of perish song, baton passers will succesfully do their jobs, and hypnosis misses a lot for me. Regarding azumarill, I'll run that knock off then. I never thought it was used to kill aegislash lol.
And metagross, that rock slide saved my ass SO MANY TIMES, it's hard for me to replace it D:

What do you think about switching gliscor with klefki and metagross with mega ampharos?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)