ORAS OU Rise of the Sun Goddess (Volcarona Offensive)

I've been laddering on OU with this team for a while, and I have something to admit. I am pretty bad at laddering, not because I'm a bad at battling, but my team building skills are sub-par. However, this team has gotten pretty high for me (Currently sitting at 1425, which may not seem very high, but it is for me). However, to continue this streak for me, I want opinions and advice on the tea, and what can be improved. So, without further adieu, on to the team, shall we?

Volcarona (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Ever since its introduction in Gen 5, Volcarona not only became one of my favourite Fire types in the game, but shot up to be my favourite Bug type in the entire game. Ever since, I have strived to make a team that revolves around this glorious insect, and this team is doing the trick. After a single Quiver Dance, Volcarona becomes a devastating sweeper that is incredibly scary. Fiery Dance is the STAB of choice, with a nice chance to boost Volcarona's Special Attack. Giga Drain not only hits Water and Ground types, but it also helps keep Volcarona healthy, especially with the Life Orb recoil. For the final move slot, I really to use Bug Buzz. The secondary STAB option was really nice, especially with the ability to hit the Lati twins super hard, but the ability to hit Heatran I found was even more important, so I sacrificed the second STAB for Hidden Power Ground.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Terrakion has a nice dual typing in Rock/Fighting, as well as a wide movepool, allowing for a variety of sets to be used, depending on the need of the team. Terrakion here acts as a suicide lead, the Focus Sash making sure Terrakion can at least do something before going down. Stealth Rock is always nice to have a team, especially when Pokemon like Talonflame severely threaten Volcarona's sweeping capabilities. Close Combat is decent STAB should I decide to preserve Terrakion. Stone Edge is also nice to deal with T-Flame should my Focus Sash be still intact. Finally, thanks to Terrakion's natural speed, Taunt is a great way to keep hazards from my side of the field. The EV spread shows that this Terrakion is meant to be fast, and hit hard if need be, as the Focus Sash guarantees that bulk is not needed.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Psyshock

I'll admit, Starmie probably slows momentum on a otherwise very offensive team, however I needed a fast spinner with at least a little bulk, hence the EV spread. Rapid Spin removes hazards (especially Stealth Rocks) from the field, while Scald is a decent STAB option, with a nice chance to Burn physical threats. Recover keeps Starmie healthy, and pairs nicely with Leftover, and the Natural Cure ability. Finally, Psyshock provides a nice secondary STAB move that can also hit Specially inclined walls.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Not only is Choice Band Scizor a great Wall Breaker, but it is also just a powerful force to be reckoned with with STAB Technician boosted Bullet Punch, which is a Fairy Type's worst Nightmare. U-turn provides a slow, safe way to switch into another team member, and also provides a decent STAB option. Superpower is a really nice coverage move to have, and hits Steel types really hard. Finally, Pursuit traps the Lati-twins, and is usually able to OHKO them. However, Pursuit can be used for other Pokemon as well, but the Lati-twins are the main drive to the move, especially since Volcarona can't hit them very hard, even after a few boosts. The EV spread gives Scizor some nice bulk, as it really doesn't need any Speed investments.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Manectric forms a nice Voltturn synergy with Scizor, forming a fast and powerful Volt Switch side. For main STAB damage, Thunderbolt is the move of choice here, with decent power. Manectric also has access to a few fire type moves, which can prove useful to Steel types, such as Ferrothhorn. In order to hit as hard a possible, I chose to go for Overheat, which is also nice against Ice types as well. Finally, in order to hit Ground types like the always lurking Lando-T, HP Ice provides a good way to hit them, especially if I catch them on a switch.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Finally, I wanted a power Scarfer with access to decent STAB moves. The combination of Ice and Ground has always been nice, and so I decided on Mamoswine. Icicle Crash is a more reliant way than HP Ice to hit Ground types, and it also hits flying types like Tornadus-T, and Dragon types like Mega Altaria. EQ is incredibly powerful, hitting many, many Pokemon like a truck. Knock Off provides nice coverage, and a way to get rid of items, like Eviolite on Chansey. Finally, Rock slide is a decent coverage move, with an ok chance to Flinch, although it may be a bit redundant with access to Icicle Crash, so I may replace it with something else.

Hey HeartlessAngel1993, VoltTurn + Pursuit trapper is a really solid and reliable strategy, especially when you have lure Volcarona to get rid of stuff like Heatran and Charizard-X when at +1 to give your VoltTurn core more leeway in cleaning late game is Volc itself doesn't win from there. A few of your set choices could use improvement however, since you have some suboptimal picks on your team like running lead Terrakion + bulky Starmie when bulky Starmie is reserved for more defensive builds and lead Terrak is solely used on hyper offense builds that can exert enough pressure to keep hazards up for a majority of a game. Your team is also extremely weak to Charizard-X which can set up on M-Manectric, Scizor, or Starmie, and easily clean through your team at +1 with no opposition. My rate will be focused around fixing these issues as well as suggesting a few minor set changes.

As it is, your team is not only weak to Charizard-X, but also to M-Lopunny which can just lead against your Terrakion turn 1 and prevent it from getting up Stealth Rocks. Your Scizor can only switch into High Jump Kick once, your and Starmie gets 2HKOd by Return, and while your Mamoswine can outspeed it, you're not running Superpower to be able to OHKO it. So, to deal with Charizard-X and well as M-Lopunny, you should run defensive Landorus-T > Mamoswine. This provides you with a bulky pivot to allow you to deal a ton of physical attackers that annoy your team such as Sand Rush Excadrill, an addtional member to your VoltTurn core, and also allows you to change Terrakion's set from suicide lead to something else.

With Landorus-T being the Stealth Rock setter, you can afford to run Choice Band Terrakion > Lead Terrakion, which has good offensive synergy with your VoltTurn core since it supports M-Manectric due to it 2HKOing standard Hippowdon with Stealth Rock up, and stuff that switch in on your on a Volt Switch like Tyranitar, Chansey, Kyurem-B, and Heatran all give Terrakion a chance to get a huge hit off. Terrakion also 2HKOs Skarmory for Scizor, while Scizor Pursuit traps Psychic types like the Latis and Starmie for it, and helps puts defensive Garchomp in range of +1 Volcarona.

Next, you should run Timid > Modest on Volcarona with a spread of 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe to allow it to outspeed and OHKO Choice Scarf Landorus-T. You should also run Fire Blast > Fiery Dance on Volcarona due to this being your only STAB option, and it helps in breaking SpDef Hippowdon and Unaware Clefable, as well as allows you to taking full advantage of the Life Orb. You can also alternatively consider Passho Berry > Life Orb on Volcarona to allow it to take on Choice Scarf Keldeo and prevent it from being revenge killed by Choice Band Azumarill's Aqua Jet, though without Life Orb +1 HP Ground has a very low chance of OHKOing SpDef Heatran even with Stealth Rock up. Either Life Orb or Passho Berry can work on it, you can try out both and see which one you prefer.

Volcarona @ Life Orb / Passho Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide / Iron Head

Manectric @ Manectite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower / Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Hope i was able to help!

Hey HeartlessAngel1993, VoltTurn + Pursuit trapper is a really solid and reliable strategy, especially when you have lure Volcarona to get rid of stuff like Heatran and Charizard-X when at +1 to give your VoltTurn core more leeway in cleaning late game is Volc itself doesn't win from there. A few of your set choices could use improvement however, since you have some suboptimal picks on your team like running lead Terrakion + bulky Starmie when bulky Starmie is reserved for more defensive builds and lead Terrak is solely used on hyper offense builds that can exert enough pressure to keep hazards up for a majority of a game. Your team is also extremely weak to Charizard-X which can set up on M-Manectric, Scizor, or Starmie, and easily clean through your team at +1 with no opposition. My rate will be focused around fixing these issues as well as suggesting a few minor set changes.

As it is, your team is not only weak to Charizard-X, but also to M-Lopunny which can just lead against your Terrakion turn 1 and prevent it from getting up Stealth Rocks. Your Scizor can only switch into High Jump Kick once, your and Starmie gets 2HKOd by Return, and while your Mamoswine can outspeed it, you're not running Superpower to be able to OHKO it. So, to deal with Charizard-X and well as M-Lopunny, you should run defensive Landorus-T > Mamoswine. This provides you with a bulky pivot to allow you to deal a ton of physical attackers that annoy your team such as Sand Rush Excadrill, an addtional member to your VoltTurn core, and also allows you to change Terrakion's set from suicide lead to something else.

With Landorus-T being the Stealth Rock setter, you can afford to run Choice Band Terrakion > Lead Terrakion, which has good offensive synergy with your VoltTurn core since it supports M-Manectric due to it 2HKOing standard Hippowdon with Stealth Rock up, and stuff that switch in on your on a Volt Switch like Tyranitar, Chansey, Kyurem-B, and Heatran all give Terrakion a chance to get a huge hit off. Terrakion also 2HKOs Skarmory for Scizor, while Scizor Pursuit traps Psychic types like the Latis and Starmie for it, and helps puts defensive Garchomp in range of +1 Volcarona.

Next, you should run Timid > Modest on Volcarona with a spread of 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe to allow it to outspeed and OHKO Choice Scarf Landorus-T. You should also run Fire Blast > Fiery Dance on Volcarona due to this being your only STAB option, and it helps in breaking SpDef Hippowdon and Unaware Clefable, as well as allows you to taking full advantage of the Life Orb. You can also alternatively consider Passho Berry > Life Orb on Volcarona to allow it to take on Choice Scarf Keldeo and prevent it from being revenge killed by Choice Band Azumarill's Aqua Jet, though without Life Orb +1 HP Ground has a very low chance of OHKOing SpDef Heatran even with Stealth Rock up. Either Life Orb or Passho Berry can work on it, you can try out both and see which one you prefer.

Volcarona @ Life Orb / Passho Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide / Iron Head

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower / Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Hope i was able to help!
Thank you for the in depth review, I made the suggested changes, I just have one thing to comment on.

With Banded Terrakion, that gives me two Choice Band users. That does seem a bit redundant, and has hurt the team I feel. Other than that, the other changes seem fine to me.

Thank you for the in depth review, I made the suggested changes, I just have one thing to comment on.

With Banded Terrakion, that gives me two Choice Band users. That does seem a bit redundant, and has hurt the team I feel. Other than that, the other changes seem fine to me.
You can try running Choice Specs Keldeo over Terrakion then, which improves your matchup against stuff like M-Gyarados, Feraligatr, and Belly Drum Azumarill, as well as gives you a better Bisharp check.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)