Monotype "Rising Above Cloud Nine" - An Offensive Dragon Team (Peak #5)

"Rising Above Cloud Nine" - An Updated Offensive Dragon Team (Peak #5)

Dragonite_XY.gif
Kyurem_Black_XY.gif
Garchomp_XY.gif
MAltaria_Shiny_ORAS.gif
030034C3-02CC-4056-9F50-49BA18CA7848.gif
Latias_XY.gif

Hello guys, Chompy back again.
It's been a long time since I've made a post. In the time that I've been waiting, I've been testing a variety of teams and hoping out that they would hold some resemblance of success. This is the first team that I used when the time for USUM came time, using the new Mega Altaria and Kommo-O for an updated Dragon team. If you would like to read the old RMT that I made, you can come and read it here. It did very well for me on the ladder and the updated version continues to do so as long as you can realize your wincon consistently. Let's go ahead and get right into it.

Sargon of Akkad (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

BBK (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Chompo (Garchomp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

CottonBallQueen (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Heal Bell

T'Challa (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Flamethrower

Mercy (Latias) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

dragonite.png

This is the first Pokemon that I added to the team. Much like before, I liked the support that Dragonite adds to any Dragon team and believe that it with Multiscale means that this can be one of the premier sweepers for the Dragon typing. Added to this is the fact that it has power and Extreme Speed.

dragonite.png
kyurem b.png

The second Pokemon I added was Kyurem-Black. This mon pairs well with Dragonite, being that it is the only Ice neutrality that Dragon has to offer. It can also just tear apart teams with Life Orb power that helps Dragonite with the chip damage on many mons that it needs. What Kyurem also does is just single-handedly beat Water, Flying, and Poison by clicking the correct moves and just having the power that it has.

dragonite.png
kyurem b.png
garchomp.png

This next mon is Garchomp. I liked how Garchomp could provide Rocks for Dragonite and that extra chip damage is very nice when it comes to mons, any competitive player knows this. It also can surprise people and help break with the SD set that this one has.

dragonite.png
kyurem b.png
garchomp.png
altaria.png

Mega Altaria was the next mon that I decided to add to the team back then when it was released. With this mon added, I had a Dragon immunity and a very bulky wincon in the later game. This mon can help against Normal, Dragon, Water, and Psychic. It can just set up DD and use Pixilate to spam Return as the only real attack that it needs. Heal Bell support as well can be extremely useful when it comes to Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, or Scald burns.

dragonite.png
kyurem b.png
garchomp.png
altaria.png
hydreigon.png

Hydreigon was the next mon I had on the team for awhile. I liked having double scarf on the old team and the introduction of Mega Diancie meant that having Scarf Flash Cannon was a nice tech to have. It also checked Scizor nicely when it came to +2 BP and that was something that I feel Dragon always needs.

dragonite.png
kyurem b.png
garchomp.png
altaria.png
hydreigon.png
latias.png

The last mon that I put on the team was Latias. With the team being so set-up heavy and the fact that most types have one dedicated wincon against them on this team, I wanted to test out Healing Wish. Despite the weakness of Latias, I really liked the support that it can provide in eating Greninja Ice Beam and being able to Healing Wish into any one of my mons for the late game. When it comes to Dragon, there is no more reliable Defogger for this choice and just having Healing Wish was better for me than the downsides of this mon.

dragonite.png
kyurem b.png
garchomp.png
altaria.png
kommo-o.png
latias.png

After people began to hype this Pokemon up, I wanted added a Kommo-O to the team. The slot that it replaced was Hydreigon and I found that this was a great addition. Not only does Kommo-O add a strong Special breaker that the team had never had because I had never used Specs Hydreigon, it offered a way for me to easily beat Normal, Ground, and Bug. Kommo-O is an amazing wincon for this team and I really liked the addition.

That's the final product!

The Team

dragonite.png
Sargon of Akkad (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
dragonite.png

Dragonite_XY.gif

Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

This Dragonite is probably my favorite member on the team and the only mon that hasn't changed in over 1500 games played with this team. Dragon Dance is just so potent on this set and can be a nice mindgame if you ever need to switch moves but also if your opponent expects Choice Band when you definitely aren't banded. Outrage is for the just power of the move, considering that the fairy type is usually gone when you bring in Dragonite to win the game. Fire Punch is nice for the rest of the team and to act as a Scizor check (I hate Scizor a lot) considering that it cannot beat you if Rocks aren't on the field and you can deal lots of damage to it. Extreme Speed is the final move, being able to out-prioritize and hit many faster Pokemon than you including Tapu Koko, Kingdra, and Latios. The EVs are simple, deal damage and try to outspeed the Pokemon that you really need to. +1 isn't too fast but +2 Dragonite is 518 speed which is nice for all of the non-scarfers in the tier. The item that I chose was the Weakness Policy and I know what you're thinking. It is fairly gimmicky and requires that the opponent not know about it or that they play around it better than they do. However, I've found that the +3 attack that it gives coupled with the supereffective moves that people want to click on Dragonite (Ice Beam, Moonblast, Stone Edge, etc.) means that this boost is common and can effectively set Dragonite up for the late game win.

Offensive
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 294-347 (97.6 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 255-301 (87.3 - 103%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 280-330 (99.6 - 117.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 426-502 (117.3 - 138.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega: 252-300 (73.4 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 252-296 (78 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 280-330 (86.6 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 157-186 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 255-300 (78.9 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 210-248 (65 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

kyurem b.png
BBK (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
kyurem b.png

Kyurem_Black_XY.gif

Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This Kyurem is the same set from the old team except for one change. That change is HP Fire over Freeze Shock because I got rid of that Z Move. I liked this change because I had always had an issue with Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn and being able to hit those for at least half so that Dragonite can sweep in the late game is very useful in many games. It can also help hit Tapu Bulu and Klefki against Fairy, eliminating that mindgame, and eliminating the Heatran and Excadrill mindgame as well because of Teravolt. For the rest of the set, I have Outrage because I really liked having an insanely strong attack for Normal, Poison, and Bulky Water, being able to just click a move and severely damage the physically defensive wall that would hamper my team. Fusion Bolt is for Flying and Water, being able to deal insane damage to Pokemon like Celesteela, Azumarill, and Toxapex that can annoy Dragon easily. Ice Beam pairs well with this, firing off strong attacks against Hippowdon, Landorus, and other Ground, Flying, and Dragon types. This movepool just allows varied breaking potential that Kyurem is just meant to have on Dragon. The EVs are simply to put out the most power with the strongest move you have, with the Life Orb. The Lonely nature boosts this while lowering your Defense. While this may be higher, I believe that it is just better for me since I can take Scald, Giga Drain, Flamethrowers, Ice Beam, etc etc etc and just come in on these moves that I want to bring Kyurem in on. I have never felt that I need -Sp.Def. and haven't see a calc to show me what I need to change for so I haven't.

Offensive
240+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 175-208 (46.7 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
240+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 452-532 (64.3 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 390-460 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
240+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 203-239 (66.9 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
240+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 455-538 (112.6 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega: 265-312 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-Black: 270-318 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 344-408 (87.9 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 136-162 (34.7 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 127-150 (32.4 - 38.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 3HKO

garchomp.png
Chompo (Garchomp) @ Focus Sash
garchomp.png

Garchomp_XY.gif

Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

This next mon is Garchomp, the namesake for my alt. Originally on the team, I had a Rockium Z set with Stone Edge to surprise things like Zard and Mandibuzz when I played with it and I liked it so much that I kept that set just without the Rockium. Stealth Rock is needed on virtually every team and Dragon's most reliable rocker is Garchomp. This meant that for this team, I was always going to add a Garchomp to it. Rocks are so beneficial against every type that I'm not even going to go into what they do, just that they are very very nice in providing chip for the team. EdgeQuake is an amazing combo of moves, using the STAB that this mon has coupled with a move to hit Flying types to act as an offensive breaker. Swords Dance means that this can break Poison, Flying, and Water, just breaking bulky teams apart with the other two mons. I really like Stone Edge on this mon because you really don't need Outrage and Stone Edge is useful for things like Zard Y and Skarm that like to stay in on Garchomp. Rough Skin is the go-to ability because of extra chip on Dragonite, Bulu, Mega Pinsir, etc. That's it. Now, we're back to the item. I was extremely resistant to using SashChomp before and hated everyone who ever used it. However, once I began to try it after my friend told me to, I found that it was very helpful when it came to Swords Dance and beating mons. Sash just makes sure that nothing will ever just sweep me and that I have a chance against things that set up. This is helpful and almost needed when Dragon can't always out-offense some threats.

Offensive
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 124-146 (37.2 - 43.8%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 175-207 (44 - 52.1%) -- 77.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 304-358 (71.6 - 84.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 298-352 (69.9 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 255-300 (70.2 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 249-294 (70.7 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Defensive
252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 231-273 (64.7 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 179-211 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 250-295 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 505-595 (141.4 - 166.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

altaria.png
CottonBallQueen (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
altaria.png

MAltaria_Shiny_ORAS.gif

Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost
- Heal Bell / Refresh

I sat and worked on this Altaria probably the most that I've changed any mon on the team. It wasn't the set that I was changing rather the EVs. The EVs for Altaria are so strange and so complex that you really have to decide what it is that you want. I decided early on that I wanted a physically-bulky Altaria to replace the physically-bulky Mega Garchomp that I had on the last team and first start with the ORAS DDD set. However, this set was far too slow and I realized that I was getting outsped by things like Choice Band Victini. This was something I couldn't allow. So I changed it. Then I realized that I got outsped by Scarf Kyurem-Black at +2. This was something I couldn't do. So I changed it. Then I realized that I didn't outspeed Latios at +2 and that was something that was costing me far too many games. So I changed it and ended with this final set and most of the bulk gone. When it comes to the actual moves, I've literally always had the same moves. Dragon Dance allows Altaria to be a bulky set-up sweeper in combination with Roost that extends it's longevity. Frustration is the only attacking move that I need and I chose it just because some people don't reset their Dittos and they all begin with 255 happiness. In terms of mechanics, this change was irrelevant besides that mindgame. Finally, there is Heal Bell / Refresh. Both of these moves get rid of status ailments and this means that this mon can, by itself, beat Normal and Bulky Water. However, the debate between the move lies in the PP that comes with them. Refresh heals status 32 times, Heal Bell does it 8. I chose Heal Bell because of the support that it provides the rest of my very status-annoyed team. Nothing on my team likes burn, nothing likes Toxic, nothing likes paralysis. Because of this, I didn't want to waste a Healing Wish when I can do it literally with Heal Bell on a mon that I may not need. The only issue that there is with this set is that it does nothing against Steel but that's something I'm willing to have with all the anti-steel measures that I have on it.

Offensive
+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Frustration vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 160-189 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO
+3 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Frustration vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 183-216 (48.9 - 57.7%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Frustration vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 325-384 (84.6 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Frustration vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 342-403 (93.9 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Altaria-Mega: 156-184 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 16.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Altaria-Mega: 267-315 (75.6 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega in Sun: 150-177 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Return vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Altaria-Mega: 147-174 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

kommo-o.png
T'Challa (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
kommo-o.png

030034C3-02CC-4056-9F50-49BA18CA7848.gif

Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Flamethrower

This Kommo-O is the fun set that I liked. Originally, I had Flash Cannon over Flamethrower with some idea that I could beat Fairy but it really doesn't do that so I made the set actually able to do something and obliterate Steel. I like Dragon Dance on Kommo-O, being able to outspeed many scarfers since it will have 590 speed as well as beat Sand Rush Driller, Steel across the board, and everything else really. Clanging Scales is a very strong Dragon STAB that I like despite it being necessary for the Z Move anyway. This doesn't matter simply because the Z Move is so absurdly strong, being able to deal 185 BP hit and then giving you a boost to every stat besides accuracy and evasion. This is so incredibly good and solid for most matchups in this meta. Drain Punch is a move that I like simply because you will get weakened if you want to DD and I like that Drain Punch is able to recover against Driller, Celesteela, and Gastrodon. Flamethrower is the last move and I have it because it gives me a way to deal heavy damage against Steel, check Scizor, and damage things that I can't hit with Drain Punch really. The EVs are simple, able to deal the most damage with the moves that this set has, compensated on the physical side because this set has Dragon Dance. Soundproof is the ability that I wanted to have because I didn't find Bulletproof particularly useful and Soundproof means that I can switch in on opposing Kommo-O and either sound-based moves. (Keep in mind, Soundproof DOES block Clangorous Soulblaze)

Offensive
+2 4 Atk Kommo-o Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 336-396 (87 - 102.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 210-248 (52.8 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Kommo-o Clangorous Soulblaze vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 328-387 (78 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 4 Atk Kommo-o Drain Punch vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Seismitoad: 223-264 (57.1 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive
252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Iron Head vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 123-145 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 102-120 (35 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. +1 0 HP / 0- SpD Kommo-o: 180-212 (61.8 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

latias.png
Mercy (Latias) @ Choice Scarf
latias.png

Latias_XY.gif

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Now, here we have probably the most controversial mon on the team in general. I have a Latias on the team in the final slot. If you look at my team, it's just straight offense. One issue that I found with Dragon when I first played with it is that often times you have one wincon in a matchup. In Water or Flying, you absolutely need to keep D Nite or Kyurem-Black alive. Dragonite can end up winning against Swift Swim and Kyurem just picks apart the Bulky Water. Without Roost on these mons, I cannot preserve these mons while maintaining the pressure that I want to put on the opponent for the battle. When I was building with Altaria, I built around this idea that there was another mon out there that could bring back a wincon and make sure that I can do something if I manage to let my Kyurem take a hit to remove a mon that I need gone. Healing Wish and Latias did this for me. So while I had this move, I added the standard Latios set that I had used last gen. Draco Meteor is the move that you spam when you aren't worried about missing, being able to chip something instead of revenging, unless it's lower. Psyshock is something that I have on the team for CM Keldeo, Mega Gallade, and Volcarona because I didn't feel that Psychic was good enough for these mons that boost Sp.Def. or have good Sp.Def. and become mega threats and I still haven't found a need for Psychic. This mon is absurdly weak and I wouldn't recommend keeping it in the back to revenge kill anything if you don't feel as if you 100% kill. You need to make sure to calc with this mon when you think something is going to kill. However, I didn't realize this when it was added, Latias gives me a far more reliable defogger when it comes to rocks against every type. Scarf Greninja can no longer act as a Defog blocker but OHKO'ing the Latios and this mon can just come in on lots of other attackers just easier to Defog.

Offensive
252 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 254-302 (78.6 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gallade-Mega: 121-144 (43.6 - 51.9%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 166-196 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 246-290 (90.7 - 107%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 200-236 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 241-285 (80 - 94.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 144-170 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Conclusion
I hope you all enjoyed this RMT. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment whatever. I don't really mind. This type is truly matchup based but you can beat pretty much everything that isn't named Fairy or Ice with ease. All of the shit below and all of the shit in Spoiler tags you don't have to read but it's all helpful information if you really want to work the team well. It takes time, you have to calc in the beginning, but this team is consistent and you will win with it.

Good luck!
- Chompy

Recently I decided that for proof of concept as well as to show how to play in most matchups, I would go ahead and collect replays of the team beating every type, including Ice and Fairy, and how it is that I play in those matchups, Feel free to watch if you wish but don't feel forced. If you wish to watch, click the hyperlink since all the words are hyperlinks.

Bug
Dark
Dragon
Electric
Fairy
Fighting
Fire
Flying
Ghost
Grass
Ground
Ice
Normal
Poison
Psychic
Rock
Steel
Roman's Water, Shady Water, Wincon's Swift Swim Water

mimikyu.png
Mimikyu
mimikyu.png

Mimikyu is a fairly large threat for the team. The issue is that Mimikyu does have Disguise that always has to be broken before you go for any sweep. This can be done with Garchomp but Garchomp, especially in fairy, wants to keep it's Focus Sash intact for the Diancie. The only part about this that makes this okay is that Mimikyu only has base 90 attack and that means that it is fairly weak in the end,

a-ninetales.png
Ice
avalugg.png

Ice is probably the most annoying matchup for Dragon. With Fairy, you can try to hax it and play around a bit but Ice is so much harder to do that with. The game revolves around making sure that Hail is gone when Dragonite comes in and that Rocks don't stay on the field. Dragonite or Kommo-O can win the game, you just have to get rid of Avalugg or Alolan Ninetales respectively. It's so so so so hard to win but that's how you do it.

diancie.png
Fairy
koko.png

Fairy is the other annoying matchup that I essentially gave up winning when I put on Flamethrower Kommo-O. Diancie is just so a huge threat when it comes to Dragon, being able to outspeed the entire type essentially and fire off strong attacks. Sash Garchomp is an absolute must-keep and if you ever break the Sash and Diancie is alive, the game is done. You lose. So you just have to kill Diancie and the game is easier to win but you can't do that.

scizor.png
Mega Scizor
scizor.png

Scizor is probably the only threat that Steel has to Dragon and I have so many techs on this team so that I can limit what effect it has on me. With an SD and Rocks up, Mega Scizor has an extreme effect on the team. It can also limit Kommo-O's effect because you have to basically sack it to the BP to revenge kill the Scizor. When it's low, you can't sweep and that's your main wincon against Steel.

driller.png
Excadrill
driller.png

Ground is another massive threat to the team. With a Choice Band and Sand Rush, this thing can easily just tear apart the team and every single mon. There isn't a mon on the team that a CB Driller doesn't 2HKO and this means that you have to not get flinched with Garchomp when you want to kill it or you have to set up with a Kommo-O before the Driller comes in with the extreme damage output.

landorus.png
Landorus-I
landorus.png

Landorus-I isn't as "sweep your team" threatening but rather "what is your switch-in?" threatening. With Earth Power, Sludge Wave, and Focus Blast, there isn't a real safe switch in on the team and Gravity just means that Latias, Dragonite, and Altaria can no longer switch in on the Earth Power which is the strongest move that it has. Just watch out and play smart around this thing. It also lives +1 Clanging Scales so keep that in mind when you think you have won with Kommo-O.

diancie.png
Mega Diancie
diancie.png

As I spoke about with Fairy, Diancie is the main threat in that matchup and Rock. Rock has webs support with that thing which just means that things that want to outspeed no longer do so. In Fairy, you have to play so well that Diancie gets no momentum. If you can't do this, X.

ditto.png
Ditto
ditto.png

Ditto is probably the only thing on Normal that can stop anything that Dragon wants to do. With it in play, Altaria can't set up and win the way that I want it to before I get reverse swept. Kommo-O is how I usually outplay this but you need to make sure you don't Z move into the Ditto swap because that means that it will effectively cancel the Z move with the ability that I have. Watch out for this thing, make sure your Altaria doesn't mega until this thing is dead, and play well around it. Easy.

Screenshot_290.png

(Me at #10 with a pretty fun Diggersby Ground too)

Screenshot_299.png

Stun - Helped me make the team when I first started getting into this. Despite the fact I fucking despise you, you did help out with that

Genius - Gave me the idea to run Kommo-O and made me run Sash Chomp just to test for a few games. While I may not like you either, I do have to recognize the help.

Midday - Helped me get the sprites for the little PC box images.

Wakanda - Good buddy that I laddered with towards the end of the time I used it before this RMT.

Finally, shoutout to all the bitches I smashed in the replays for this. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have been able to show off about how to smash you!

Last edited:
You are very thorough and understand this team well. Ive used it and it works great, your explanations gave me an instant edge. Knowing the roles helps you make the right plays and win!

Great Dragon HO! I have seen a lot of similar teams on the monotype ladder with Latios over Latias at example and different variations of Kommo-sets. But in all honesty I like your team the most. Drain Punch and Dragon Dance on Kommo makes sweeping so much easier. Only thing you could change: Earthquake over Heal Bell on Mega Altaria. Since you have Healing Wish in the back.

Nonetheless great team!

Great Dragon HO! I have seen a lot of similar teams on the monotype ladder with Latios over Latias at example and different variations of Kommo-sets. But in all honesty I like your team the most. Drain Punch and Dragon Dance on Kommo makes sweeping so much easier. Only thing you could change: Earthquake over Heal Bell on Mega Altaria. Since you have Healing Wish in the back.

Nonetheless great team!
Hey, I appreciate that a ton lol. I love the Kommo-O especially because of how well that does against Steel. I don't have EQ because I like the way that this thing beats Toxic mons and Will-O. I would pretty much auto-lose to a Sableye if I didn't have Heal Bell.

You are very thorough and understand this team well. Ive used it and it works great, your explanations gave me an instant edge. Knowing the roles helps you make the right plays and win!
I appreciate that. That's what I was looking for when I made the RMT! It's good to know that it helped at least one person!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)