SS OU Rising Voltage

The new DLC introduced one move for each type, alongside the release of a bunch of Pokémon, new and old, into the competitive scene, so there is a lot to try and have fun with at the moment. One move that caught my eye is Rising Voltage, also thanks to exposure from YouTube channels that posts competitive SS OU content. Rising Voltage is a 70 base power move that doubles in Base Power in Electric Terrain, which also gives it a x1.3 boost. Used by an Electric type for STAB in Terrain, this move gets to a disgusting 273 base power and is capable of dealing stupid amount of damage. Out of the Pokémons that learn this move, the newly released Alolan Raichu is by far the most proficient. Not only it has usable stats, but it has access to Nasty Plot and its signature ability Surger Surfer which doubles its speed in Electric Terrain, making him a terrifying special attacker. Also, having access to a move that destroys Ground types and a useful secondary STAB gives Raichu some utility outside of Terrain if needed and facilitates his sweep.

Another mon that abuses Terrain is whatever-Seed Hawlucha. I would say, though, that Grassy and Electric Seed are much better because they give Hawlucha a Defense boost which is far more useful against priority moves after the Terrain expires. This composition allows the team to have 1 form and a half of speed control (Hawlucha is one use) and solid reciprocate breaker-sweeper combo.

The main issues with Raichu and Hawlucha is that they are stupid frail and they need a way to enter the battlefield safely. Memento on Pincurchin isn't enough, so I figured a decent defensive combo that could grab momentum would be a good idea, so enter Magearna and Slowbro. This is possibly the best defensive duo for this team because of Volt Switch and Teleport and the fact that they blanket check the largest bunch of threats that two Pokémon can manage. They usually come in to take the hit and click their momentum-grabbing move between each other until it's time to set the Terrain again and start the set-up.

At this point the pace of the team is set, I can't have any more momentum-breaking Pokémon anymore is such a composition, but I still wanted a Stealth Rocker that can be useful also against slower teams and not dead weight against offensive builds. Enter Lycanroc-Dusk. With access to a decently fast Taunt, priority Accelerock to pick off threat and scare Volcarona, plus the heat that is Focus Sash + Endeavor, it can prevent hazard stacking and cripple a specific, problematic mon into oblivion. It's the only Pokémon that isn't really going to hit Toxapex, but can prevent him from setting up Toxic Spikes which would ruin this team, takes massive damage from Scald and cripples it to the point that even if it switches, it is in range of Hawlucha.

TEAM IN DEPTH

Pincurchin @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Sucker Punch
- Self-Destruct
-
Memento

As bad as it is, until Tapu Koko is released, this thing is the only available Pokémon with Electric Surge, so it's mandatory. Unfortunately, it is pretty garbage. Being a pure Electric type with unimpressive bulk isn't great, but to be fair it has some good moves to support this team. Rising Voltage gives it some kind of offensive potential, Sucker Punch can chip or kill weakened, faster mons like Alakazam, Gengar and Dragapult. Memento gives either Raichu or Hawlucha an easier set-up, while Selfdestruct gives it the same ability but with the added benefict of dealing some damage. You could replace one of these moves with Spikes, though. Terrain Extender is mandatory with a mon that works just like a weather abuser.
DISCLAIMER: This spread looks thought out, but it just allows Pincurchin to have equal def and spdef. I have no idea what the best spread for this mon is, so if you know one absolutely let me know.

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Rising Voltage
- Psyshock
- Surf

The first Electric Terrain abuser. This mon is actually designed to be used with this Terrain, so of course it is going to be effective in it. Nasty Plot makes him an absolute menace and with one turn you can have a Raichu +2/+2 with a 273 base power move and coverage to hit the only type immune to it. Seriously, Rising Voltage is the biggest nuke I've seen in Gen 8 OU so far after good ol' Dracovish' Fishious Rend. Raichu usually works as the wallbreaker, stays on the field and does damage as much as possible and then usually dies with a couple turn of Terrain still active for Hawlucha to immediatly come in and clean up. The two work well together. Surf > GKnot for Excadrill, Psyshock hits Water Grounds anyway. 29 IVs in HP hits a Life Orb number of 259 HP, which means it takes 25 HP each time it attacks instead of the 26 it would take if it had 31 IVs (261 HP total). This is a game of inches and damage rolls, so those 8 total HP retained can make the difference

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Electric Terrain: 304-359 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
:O

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 433-511 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Does even more than Psyshock, but Psyshock hits considerably harder outside of Terrain of course

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth in Electric Terrain: 248-292 (61.3 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Tangrowth in Electric Terrain: 508-599 (125.7 - 148.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Amoonguss in Electric Terrain: 296-350 (68.6 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Psyshock kills obviously, but this kind of damage eases prediction

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Taunt

This is the second sweeper, usually finishes the job that Raichu started. Dual STAB + Swords Dance is mandatory, but Taunt is more consistently useful against slower, bulkier teams that rely on status moves. Against offensive teams, Flying Fighting coverage is good enough. EV spread is standard since I don't want to lose to other Hawluchas because I ran some fancy spreads, and also allows my Hawlucha to always be faster than the dangerous Urshifu and +2 Volcarona. On the topic of Urshifu, against SIngle Strike, it is almost always a good idea to start with Raichu, as it lures in Urshifu's Sucker Punch for Hawlucha to take advantage of. Furthermore, Hawlucha resists both Dark and Fighting and threatens Urshifu with both STABs, so it can use it as set-up especially if it locks into Sucker Punch on a Choice Band set.

Magearna (Magearna-Original) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Focus Blast

This mon is the special defense of the team. Magearna Original because it's cooler. The EV spread is to accomodate Iron Head into the set for better damage against Clefable or Chansey in a pinch and still outspeed the former. Dual STAB for obvious reasons, Focus Blast is here to dent Ferrothorn, possibly the biggest road-block for Raichu.

Slowbro
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Teleport
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

Now this is the physical defense of the team. I run it item-less because random Knock Offs hurt less and MAINLY Alolan Marowak thinks he's unstoppable with Poltergeist so I want to make him feel stupid for dropping his signature Shadow Bone for it. I don't run Slack Off because I realised that with this team games are pretty fast so I can't waste time of Slack Off because I can't give any momentum away. Also, the premiere hazard setters in the tier cannot have the freedom to sit on this thing and pepper my team with hazards I can't remove, so I put Psychic because I can't have Toxic Spikes on my side of the field and Fire Blast because it his Skarmory and Ferrothorn while also packing a greater punch against fellow Terrain setter Rillaboom and potentially annoying mons like Corviknights. Teleport is of course the biggest tool is Slowbro's arsenal for my team.

Lycanroc (Lycanroc-Dusk) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Accelerock
- Endeavor

This thing is SAUCY. It is a very strong lead of course, shutting down the typical HO staple Mew. I run it with absolutely 0 bulk whatsoever because I want to be brought down to sash as easily as possible to cripple something with Endeavor. Stealth Rock because it is still useful despite HDB, Defog and Magic Guard; Taunt because this thing is hard walled by multiple hazard setters so I want to prevent hazard stacking as much as possible. Accelerock is nice to have against Volcarona and things I bring down to 1 HP with Endeavor. Between the destructive power of Raichu and Hawlucha + a potential Selfdestruct on Pincurchin, bringing a mon to 1 HP with this Lycanroc can be the difference between a win and a loss against bulkier teams which may have a different roadblock for each of my set-up sweepers that they can switch around and wall me forever with. Try your best to preserve this (with Sash intact if possible) against Volcarona, Azumarill and Talonflame mainly. I can also see lead Excadrill doing just fine in this spot, but Lycanroc has done its job very well so far.​

DISCUSSION

If I were to list the threats to this team, I would be here forever. This team is meant to be played offensively, but unfortunately Pincurchin isn't suited for fully HO builds with dual screens support and such. You have to play by forcing switches against Pokémon that Magearna and Slowbro pivot out from. This team it's more fun than it is reliable and can probably be massively improved, and these are the reasons why I've decided to share it. It has a couple legit techs (Lycanroc MVP) and overall is pretty enjoyable, especially when either Raichu or Hawlucha manage to sweep through an entire team. Nothing on this game is more satisfactory than pulling a clean sweep with a cool mon like Alolan Raichu or Hawlucha. In all seriousness, I'm looking for some feedback because these type of builds are my favourites, so I encourage you to give this team an honest critique.

Pincurchin @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rising Voltage
- Sucker Punch
- Self-Destruct
- Memento

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Rising Voltage
- Psyshock
- Surf

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Magearna (Magearna-Original) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Focus Blast

Slowbro
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Teleport
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

Lycanroc (Lycanroc-Dusk) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Accelerock
- Endeavor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)