RMT Gen V OU Stable (non-Weather) v4

My stable team here. Currently at its 4th Revision. TY for you input :-)

At a Glance...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Azelf @ Focus Sash
4 Atk | 252 Sp.Atk | 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd -Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- U-Turn

ROLE
The whole purpose of this Azelf is simply to be an Anti-Lead, while also being a good lead in itself.
MOVES
Taunt is crucial to stop any SR openers. This team doesn't have a spinner, so stopping SR or any other entry hazard is crucial and Azelf is just the pixie to do it. Stealth Rock needs no explanation I'm sure, its a great entry hazard, no excuse not to have it on any team. Fire Blast its the only real attacking move. Has superior coverage than any STAB option, also does a good job later in game against Nattorei and the other 4x fire weakness pokes out there. Also most people probably expect stab after seeing such a supportive opener from an Azelf. U-Turn another awesome move. Note the neutral Attack nature, this means U-Turn can still do quite decent damage to things that are weak to Bug. Also great for breaking Sturdy leads such as Gilgiath or any other Sash for that matter.
NATURE
To utilize taunt to its maximum potential max speed is a must. No much else to be said.
ITEM
Sash is a good item on any fragile lead. This is no exception.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
108 HP | 148 Atk | 252 Sp.Def
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Roost

ROLE
Scizor needs no introduction. Ever since Platinum it has been a top shelf Pokemon, with argueably the most powerful priority in the game.
MOVES
Bullet Punch is the signature move of this set. STAB, Technician bossted, Priority, whats not to love? Brick Break is the coverage move hitting Steels & Waters who resist BP also the nifty side effect of breaking screens which is extra handy for this team which is rather offensive. Swords Dance again nothing new to Scizor, after one boost it can priority an enemy team to oblivion. Roost increased its longevity and makes it that much easier to set up on walls who will try to stall it.
NATURE/EV's
Adamant for max attack (duh?). I opted for a specially bulky build here to soften to blow from Draco Meteor switch ins. I have revised this spread to give a lot more special bulk, similar to the build listen on Smogon's GenIV strategy section for Scizor in ubers.
Code:
First Meteor
Detailed Result: 
252 SpAtk Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs 108 HP/252 SpDef Scizor: 50.65% - 59.74%
Possible HP Damage: 156, 158, 160, 162, 163, 165, 167, 169, 171, 173, 174, 177, 178, 180, 182, 184

Second Meteor
Detailed Result: 
252 SpAtk Latios Draco Meteor vs 108 HP/252 SpDef Scizor: 34.09% - 39.94%
Possible HP Damage: 105, 105, 107, 108, 109, 111, 112, 113, 114, 116, 117, 118, 120, 120, 122, 123
As you can see even if the users gets max damage on both Meteors, Scizor can get a Roost off. This build also softens hits from Focus Blasts from Rankurusu.
ITEM
Life Orb is pretty obvious here. Boosting all attacks and its side effect is negated by Roost. No brainer.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
4 HP | 252Atk | 252Spd
Jolly (+Spd, -Sp,Atk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor

ROLE
This thing is a monster. Revised this to a CB set to synergize better within the team.
MOVES
Close Combat replaces Sacred Sword n this set. Given that this set isnt really for prolonged sweeping, the extra power from CC outweighs the drawbacks of stat lowering. Stone Edge remain unchanged in this set. The freeing up of a move slot given that SD is no longer here means I can pick up X-Scissor which is great for dominating Psychics such as Lati@s & Rankurusu. Changed Earthquake to Quick Attack mostly since Earthquake only offered situational coverage, plus quick attack helps with revenging softened Geenie's and Chlorophyll Victreebell.
NATURE
The extra speed from Jolly nature is crucial in this set. The extra speed from Terrakion means you can outrun a plethora of common threats. Neutral Natured Infernape, Thundurus, Gengar, Lati@s, Terrakion, Denchura are all outrun and OHKO'd with the exception of some Latias sets. Also outruns positive Garchomp, Kojondo, Zoroark, Ninetales, Mew and others.
ITEM
Revised to CB. Terrakion is a great band user given its high speed, good coverage and high attack stat even in neutral nature.

Rankurusu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
92HP | 200Def | 216 Sp.Atk
Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

ROLE
Needed something to weather stall a bit better so I have replaced Roobushin with this guy. Has what I suppose you would call "real" status immunity as well as resistance all the other lovely things stall likes to do. Also a bit of a monster offensively after a CM boot or two.
MOVES
Psychic & Focus Blast give good coverage with the exception of psychic types. Although this is kind of a non issue since Rankurusu doesn't tend to lure Psychic types in an any cas, with the exception of maybe Wobbufet. Calm Mind a good booster for Rankurusu, increasing its bulk a great deal while making it even stronger offensively. Recover to increase it's lifespan.
NATURE/EV's
Modest nature for the offensive boost. Opted for what I suppose is a hybrid build here, trying to reach a good equilibrium of physical bulk and Sp.Atk. I am considering testing the 252HP/252 Def Bold build, but really nothing stops you being 2HKO'd by Tyranitar's Crunch.
ITEM
Leftovers again to increase its lifespan. Might try Life Orb. I have tried it in the past in other teams I've tested with Rankurusu and I felt it made it feel to fragile.

Porygon2 @ Evolution Stone
Ability: Trace
252 HP | 112 Def | 144 Sp.Def
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

ROLE
Take hits & be generally annoying. P2 is probably my favorite Pokemon in Gen V. Ever since Evo Stone was announced I wanted to use him. With effectively 402Def, 393Sp.Def, Respectable HP and a super reliable recovery move, its a freakin' monster and I love it.
MOVES
Discharge is a great move. The lack in power from Thunderbolt is easily made up for by the larger paralysis chance imo, also with P2's respectable Sp.Atk it does respectable damage on anything. Ice Beam rounds out the "Bolt-Beam" combo of electric ice moves. No real explanation require here I think. Toxic is great in this set, completely dominates most bulky waters who haven't got a hope of hurting P2 enough to KO it. Recover rounds this set out, arguably the most reliable recovery move in game, suits this set to the T.
NATURE/EV's
Bold for the extra Defense. Most of the threats in this Gen are physical attackers and P2's only weakness is fighting, which mostly comes in the form of Close Combat, so anything to lower damage from that is great. As for the EV's, I have revised its build to take less of a Hp hit from Specs Latios Meteor switch-ins. After SR is will be taking 49%-55% as opposed to only 4EV's where it was taking 55%-62%, which if max damage occurs the Latios could just about kill it with a second meteor. With this EV spread that isn't possible. P2's defense has taken a hit from this revision, now taking 55%-61% from neutral SD Garchomp Outrage after SR. Still laughs in the face of un-boosted attacks from Garchomp, only taking a maximum of 37% from an outrage after SR. Also does well at taking Life Orb Hurricane from Thundurus, 26%-31%.
ITEM
Evolution Stone. Pretty much what makes P2 a beast. The lack of Leftovers takes getting used to, but with Recover it makes P2 one of the best EvoStone users around.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
232 HP | 200 Def | 72Spd
Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

ROLE
Another pretty bog standard but effective set in this generation. An offensive physical wall i guess you would call it. Has good synergy with P2 as well as Terrakion.
MOVES
Protect being the main form of recover for Poison Heal. Swords Dance & Ice Fang are revisions I have made from the Fling Acrobatics & a later revision to Aerial Ace build in an effort to stop Roobushin's and Scizors from setting up on Gliscor. I changed AA to Ice Fang to offer extra coverage against other Gliscors and 4x Dragons, EQ does a good enough job checking Scizors & Roobushins. Also give it the ability to pull off a sweep. Earthquake gives excellent coverage and compliments Ice Fang well in terms of coverage.
NATURE/EV's
Impish for extra bulk. Opted to boost its Speed to outrun every Tyranitar that doesn't wear a scarf.
ITEM
Toxic Orb to activate the ability Poison Heal

Threat List
- Rain... Lol pretty horrendous threat, but its a threat to any non-weather team. Mostly the raw power of Rain boosted attacks is what trumps this team. Specs Politoed, Rotom-W Hydro Pumps are a killer. Dragonite & Tornadus Hurricane's can be tricky to deal with as well.
- Thundurus is tricky to revenge. No surprises there.

That's it!!
Thanks-alot for reading it and I greatly appreciate your input :-)

CHANGELOG

(14/4/2011)
- Added Gliscor, Roobushin & Honchcrow... replacing Latios, Togekiss & Lucario
- Changed Terrakion's item from Leftovers to Air Baloon.

(18/4/2011)
- Revised Terrakion to a Choice Band Set
- Replace Honchcrow with SD/Roost Scizor
- Revised EV's & Moveset on Gliscor

(21/4/2011)
- Revised EV Spread on Porygon2

(28/04/2011)
- Revised EV Spread on Scizor
- Revised Move on Gliscor

(21/06/2011)
- Replaced Roobushin to Hybrid Rankurusu
- Revised Moveset on Terrakion

Wouldn't Roost be a better way of recovering HP to Gliscor? Because he is a booster and there is no Sandstorm in your team. I think Protect is more recommended for Toxic + Sandstorm stalling.

Wouldn't Roost be a better way of recovering HP to Gliscor? Because he is a booster and there is no Sandstorm in your team. I think Protect is more recommended for Toxic + Sandstorm stalling.
It is not possible for Gliscor to learn Roost & Poison Heal

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rain abusers are definitely a problem to this team, and I've got a couple of things to say that might actually fix that somehow.

First off, while I do think that Rankurusu set is pretty viable and all, I also think it is the weakest link on the team. I mean, it works good and it sure helps your team as your only special sweeper, but at the same time I believe you can employ something else in its place in order to amend some of those problems that your team currently displays. I'm thinking of replacing Rankurusu with a ChestoRest Dragon Dance or even a Mixed Dragon Dance set of Kingdra, which will add a solid resistance to Water-type attacks and it will also give you the opportunity to have a Pokemon that can set up both in and outside a rain-based environment. Here are both of the aforementioned sets:

nature: Adamant
evs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe
Dragon Dance | Waterfall | Outrage | Rest

nature: Lonely
evs: 252 Atk / 112 SpA / 144 Spe
Dragon Dance | Waterfall / Hydro Pump | Outrage | Hidden Power Fire

The first one uses Chesto Berry as its primary item, while the second one works best with Life Orb. I'd give both a shot, to be honest, just to see which one fares well with the rest of the Pokemon in your team. Nonetheless, here are the basic things that you should know about these sets: ChestoRest DD works very well when what the user needs is a bulky sweeper with access to a recovery move and that can sponge most attacks from common Rain abusers. This set also works as some kind of status absorber sometimes, as you can come in on Blissey, for instance, take the Toxic and use Dragon Dance a couple of times to put yourself in a winning position knowing that you'll be able to use Rest later on to put Kingdra back at full health.

The second set takes a slightly more offensive approach and attempts to get rid of Kingdra's most notable threats, which are mainly Ferrothorn and Skarmory, as they both have huge Defense numbers and can prevent Kingdra from sweeping its opponent. It's worth noting, however, that you shouldn't expect Hidden Power Fire to score an OHKO on Ferrothorn and that you'll be able to eliminate it without it touching Kingdra because that's not true, but what you can do expect is HP Fire dealing around 70% of damage to standard 252 HP / 208 SpD neutral natured Ferrothorn without Rain in play, and about half that amount of damage under Rain. It looks like a good deal to me either way, considering Ferrothorn was ranked as the second most used Pokemon in May PO statistics, and that you plan to eliminate it with a Pokemon that Ferrothorn actually expects to switch in safely.

All in all, both sets offer a good set of things for you to take advantage of, and my recommendation is that you try both out and compare which one adjusts more to the profile that you're looking for: bulkyness or offensiveness. Either choice, it's Kingdra, and two of the best things it does is sponge Water-type attacks, and abuse Rain in an excellent way. You can check specific information about these in the following thread: C&C analysis.

Now, putting all this on a side, I'd like to suggest something else in order to further address your Rain problem. Choice Band Terrakion is definitely some serious stuff, but I'd say Choice Scarf would actually work better in your team. Why? CS Terrakion scores 519 of Speed, meaning that it will be faster than even Deoxys-S and, therefore, faster than most Kingdra variants that you'll find out there. CS Terrakion is also an excellent revenge killer to one Pokemon that this team has a lot of problems with: Thundurus. In general, this Terrakion can work as a solid revenge killer to several Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Virizion, Celebi (note that this is revenge killing, not OHKOing all these Pokemon), the aforementioned Thundurus, and so on. I'd certainly recommend going with the Choice Scarf instead of CB. You can check here Terrakion's specifics.

Anyway, that's that. Hope these changes work out for you. Good luck with your team!

@Sestuna

Chesto Kingdra is something I had considered a while ago but was turned off by the Nattorei coverage. But now that I think about it Terra and Scizor do a well enough job destroying it.
I'll be sure to test this out and report back.

With regard to CB Terrakion. I've fallen in love with this thing. Its a freakin monster and I wont part with it easily lol :-P. P2 does an OK job checking Thundurus/Tornadus with Trace MH recover and toxic on non taunt sets. Also Ice beam 2HKO's the common sets after SR.

It is not possible for Gliscor to learn Roost & Poison Heal
I know it's commonplace to use Poison Heal + Toxic Orb Gliscor but you could make use of Hyper Cutter / Sand Veil Gliscor in combination with Leftovers for better sweeping capabilities. Yes, you lose out on your immunity to status but you gain a much more reliable Recovery move. IMO i prefer this type for your team. I hope you'll test it & give it a try because anything that can beat Gliscor are normally Special in nature so if he is going to die from Ice Beam then you can at least soften the blow a tad bit with Roost losing your Flying-type & possible survive. Just need to predict a bit rather than scouting like Protect had you doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)