RMT; long time since I last came here.

Hello fellow smogoneers, it's been a long long time since I last came here, but with the advent of B/W, I've decided to come back and see what the Gen5 metagame is all about. I haven't played Pokémon since the beginning of the Gen4 metagame, so be gentle with your critiques (Feel free to rip this team apart though).

I'm not going to include a threatlist, because frankly, I have no idea how many Pokémon there are out there at the moment. Though, I hope to learn them all as quickly as possible, to polish up my team building threads.

My team hasn't been doing bad on Pokémon Online, but I'd really like some expert opinions on it, which is why I posted it here.

Basicly, the team revolves around either Scizor or Doryuuzu sweeping.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SAtk / 24 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Starts the Sandstream, disabling any Non-Steel Pokémon its Leftovers recovery and Focus Sash. I've decided to go with "Tyraniboah", as this will help me eliminate the defensive Pokémon that stop Scizor & Doryuuzu dead cold, like Skarmory and Hippowdon. 24 Speed EVs lets me get my substitute up before Blissey tries to paralyze me, which I've actually seen a lot of people do lately.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Standard Sword Dancing Scizor. Still doubting about Superpower, while it does do some damage to Skarmory, I hardly see any use of it over Brick Break (whilst Brick Break can shatter Reflect & Light Screen). I'm also wondering if Roost wouldn't be a better option, but I'd probably have to go with a more defensive spread then.

Doryuuzu (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Standard Doryuuzu set, not much to say here.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Rotom-H is the only Pokémon I have some doubts about, while it is a decent check to Lucario and so, I have Burungeru that does the job better. I love tricking a Choice Scarf onto something though, basicly ruins them. Was thinking of replacing him, but I have no idea for whom. Maybe something that counters Ghosts?

Burungeru (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Recover
- Boil Over
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Pretty good counter to fighting types and Gyarados. Was thinking of using HP Electric over Energy Ball, since it barely has any use. Standard EV spread, but I moved the SAtk EVs into SDef, for added bulk.

Chansey (F) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Fat blob that stops almost any special attack dead cold, and passes wishes to the team. Softboiled is there to negate the Sandstream damage, and makes this impossible to kill.

There you have it, feel free to nitpick this team to shreds, as I could use the advice after being inactive for so long.

Hi lockon, welcome back to smogon

Quickly glancing over your team i do see a few strategies that may be considered outdated to current standards, like the lack of SR and Tyraniboah.

While Tyraniboah was surely an excellent pokemon during early Gen IV and Gen III with Blissey being the No1 used pokemon, now it's just not as good as it used to be. However there is still exists a tyranitar set today that can defeat Skarmory and Hippowdon that has proven to be very effective and can set up Stealth Rock as well, also known as Iconic's Tyranitar. I'm pretty sure this set below will suit as an excellent replacement for your team.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock

Roost is indeed a superior option on SD Scizor nowadays, seeing as you can foresee a Magnezone comming with Team preview it's no longer necessary to run a fighting move. The Speed ev's barely have any value considering you'll be attacking with priority most of the time anyways so bump them all into HP.

In your descriptions you say you are using Rotom-H as your Lucario check, however the alternate rotom forms are no longer a Ghost. If you like the idea of tricking Scarf's on an opponent while checking Gengar and Lucario Choice Scarf Jirachi may be a good replacement. Or in other words this set

Jirachi@Choice Scarf
252Att, 252Spe
Jolly Nature
Iron Head
Fire Punch
Trick
Ice Punch

About Burunguru i'd consider replacing Energy Ball with Taunt. Taunt can be surpringly effective against many walls preventing them from setting up entry hazards, recovering or Poisoning Burunguru.

As one final nitpick i'd say running 252SpDef instead of HP on Chansey. The HP ev's will rarely make a difference on it's already massive HP stat, also unlike early Gen IV there actually are special sweepers who can force through Chansey making those investments more usefull than you may think.

Good luck with the team, feel free to leave me a VM if you have any more questions.

Bloo and I worked together on this rate, so credit to him as well.

Threats
  1. Swords Dance Doryuuzu
  2. Dragon Dance/ Bulk Up Zuruzukin
  3. Bulk Up Roobushin
  4. Choice Band Terakion
  5. Calm Mind Birijion

Hello, and welcome back to Smogon. You might want to lengthen the description for Doryuuzu, or your thread will get locked. Firstly, I think Doryuzzu might be a bit problematic to face, as it can get in a SD on Choice locked Rotom or Chansey, and force out Tyranitar. From here it can OHKO or 2HKO every member with EQ/Rock Slide. Dragon Dance Zuruzukin can also come in, force out Tyranitar or Burungeru and get in a Dragon Dance boost to dismantle the team with +1 Hi Jump Kick/Crunch. Bulk Up Zuruzukin and Roobushin can set-up on Burungeru or Chansey, get in as many boosts as they can, and be really tough to break through, since the team lacks offense in the Special Attacking depratment, and rip through the team with Drain Punch and Payback alone. Although a rare threat, CB Terakion can come in repeatedly to launch powerful Stone Edges, which only Doryuuzu resists, but is 2HKOed nonetheless. Finally, CM Birijion with Taunt, can set-up on Chansey, and be a tough threat to break through with +1/+1 Giga Drain and Focus Blast.

Solutions:

• Solution A: Choice Scarf Rotom-W over Rotom-H
I'll be completely honest with you, Rotom-H sucks this gen. Period. The loss of a valuable Ghost- type and an addition of a hindering Fire- type means that Rotom-H won't be able to switch in as easily as last gen to revenge threats, and get worn out real quick, since it gets stripped off 25% every year. Rotom-W however gives you a valuable check against Rain teams as well as the aforementioned Doryuuzu, if the need arises. Switching into Gyarados becomes easier, due to the resistance to Waterfall instead of the weakness.
  • Solution B: Gliscor over Chansey
Chansey looks kind of misplaced on a team like this, without entry hazards of any sort, and contributing nothing to the team's purpose. In fact, it actually hinders it by slowing down the pace, and becoming set-up fodder to some of the aforementioned threats, and others with Taunt. Gliscor gives you a way to take on Swords Dance Doryuuzu, Bulk Up Zuruzukin/Roobushin, and Choice Band Terakion, as well as other physical attackers, thanks to its massiv Physical bulk and Super Effective attacks in Earthquake and Acrobat. You can use Fling to throw the Toxic Orb to poison the foe and increase Acrobat's power.
  • Solution C: Skarmory over Scizor
I thought pretty hard on how to patch up the weakness to CM Birijion, and I came up with this; Tyranitar+Skarmory+Burungeru together are a great synergetic combo, helping out in dealing with each other's counters. Skarmory with the upcoming set is able to take on Birijion handily, who'll have to rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast to deal damage, and losing a chunk of its health to LO recoil and Brave Bird. Skarmory's hazards will also help Doryuuzu in sweeping, as Balloon Doryuuzu lacks power compared to the LO variant. To top it all off, Skarmory gives you a secondary Doryuuzu check, a much needed Dragon Dance Zuruzukin check, and a switch-in to Draco Meteors and Outrages from the likes of Lati@s and Garchomp.

Additonal Changes:
Tyranitar is running a set that doesn't really blend in with the team; I don't really see TyraniBoah doing too much for you, and it seems like the team could really use Stealth Rock, to limit things like Urugamosu coming in to set up ButterFly Dance. So I'm going to suggest a standard lead Tyranitar. You're also wasting 84 EVs on Burungeru by putting them into SDef, it's seriously not gonna help it much. Just relocate those EVs to Speed instead.

Movesets:
Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick
---

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Acrobat
- Protect / Taunt
---

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
---

Tyranitar (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sandstream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SAtk / 168 SDef
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam
- Superpower
---

So to summarize:
  • Scarf Rotom-W>Scarf Rotom-H
  • Gliscor>Chansey
  • Skarmory>Scizor
  • Change Tyranitar's set from Boah to the SR lead

GL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)