SM UU RMT- Mix Team

Introduction

**¡Hello, everyone! I'd like to present my team used for UU and know your opinions about, I have used this team in many battles and it has been a little easy for me to win them, but I would still like some advice on how to improve it, this is my first post in this forum so I hope explain it well.**

Teambuilding Process

When I started to create a team for UU, I thought that this should have a variety of types for coverage and attack different threats in the tier, but not only was it enough with a type coverage, so I also looked for different pokemon that could occupy a specific role on the team, and that's how my team came up.

The Team

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

**At first I thought about some defensive pokemon, my first option was clefable, but I realized that it belonged to OU so I discarded it, so the most viable fairy-type option was Togekiss.Togekiss plays a good role by entering at the start of the fight and paralyzing what is put in front of him, his descent hp and defenses usually allow him to take at least one hit and thus cause the opponent some trouble. I chose Wave Thunder to slow down the opponent and have time to recover or to facilitate the fight to the next pokemon in case togekiss weakens. In addition, Air Slash reduces the probability that the opponent attacks, since it ends up paralyzed or flinched.**

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Stun Spore

**For the next partner I chose Roserade, his plant-poison combination was useful for dealing with toxics thrown to togekiss and electric-type attacks and rock. This Roserade comes with Life orb to make more damage, Giga Drain to recover from the damage of the Life orb, Sludge Bomb is a STAB move for fairies and have a posibility to poison the target, Hidden Power "Rock" boosted by Technician to coverage almost all its weaknesses, and for last Stun Spore to paralyze ground type pokemon that Togekiss can´t including Gliscor disabling its abilty. Previously I had used Toxic Spikes instead Stun Spore, but I found it more useful the latter**

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind

**Next I saw that I needed a pokemon to cover ice tipes, between several options I am glad that Suicune was available for this tier, this pokemon is the second defensive line, being able to resist attacks by the physical side that Togekis can't. It's not necessary to talk much about this set because it is more than obvious that its objective is to boost the special defense and special attack to endure more and cause more damage. The only thing I have to explain is that the reason why I put Tailwind is to make this pokemon or its partners faster when the opportunity presents itself and to attack before, unless the opponent uses priority moves. **

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Flame Charge

**I wanted a ghost type pokemon for its inmunities to fight and normal and attack psychics, I had originally intended to include Gengar and even Mismagius mostly because I wanted one pokemon with Destiny Bond, but I ended up choosing Chandelure to more bulky and damage and to attack grass and steel. Flash Fire grant it inmunity to fire moves that can be directed to Roserade or Lucario.Flamethrower STAB move that can burn opponents, Energy Ball to coverage and have a chance to low the special defense, Shadow Ball another STAB that can low the special defense, and finally Flame Charge STAB move that allows to boost the speed and overcome faster pokemon. I gave it a Focus Sash to endure boosted threats that can K.O. it and the partners. **

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

**¿Fight type to resist dark or steel to poison and flying?¿Why not both?, and that's why included lucario in this team. Despite its combination of types, its defensive stats make it a fragile pokemon, but still it is able to survive some attacks not very powerful and it's inmune to poison so he can deal with Toxics and Toxic Spikes. Bullet Punch to attack first, Power-Up Punch to make damage and increase the attack at the same time and to not loose one turn using Sword Dance. Ice Punch to ground and flying types. Earthquake to fire and electric types. I usually use Lucario as late-game sweeper to eliminate weakened pokemon**

Haxorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

**And finally Haxorus. My inital intention was to have a dragon type and I was to choose Latias but in the end I was not convinced. Originally I had a Noivern instead because of its speed, but after some battle I saw that my team was easily stop by special defensive walls, so I decided to change it. And I chose Haxorus, maybe it's not a faster pokemon like Noivern but it has a huge attack that I needed because Lucario was my only physical sweeper. Dragon Dance to boost its speed and attack to make more damage and attack quickly, Dragon Claw STAB move with a decent power, Poison Jab to fairies like Azumarill, and Earthquake to steel types that resist Dragon Claw. Usually use like a lead. In case you are wondering why Haxorus is equipped with Leftovers instead Focus Sash is because after a few games I saw that only a few pokemon can instant K.O Haxorus and made useful the Focus Sash at the start of the battle, so the Lefthovers makes it recover hp from little harm and endure more time to the nexts opponents. **

Threats:
Exploud: A big problem if you don't know how to deal with it, Boomburst can instant K.O almost all this team, so I recomend to use Togekiss to paralize it and gain time to heal the lost hp because you need more than one hit to defeat it.

Sleep Talk Suicune: A enemy Suicune with Scald, Ice Beam, Calm Mind and mainly Sleep Talk, can be a big issue to all the team, because it can't be statused, and if use Calm Mind it comes more dificult to damage, it's important to keep Roserade because it's the one who can defeat suicune and endure well its attacks before boost, another option is Chandelure with enegyball but its difficult because you risk a lot.

**Well that's, I´m sorry to not bring you more replays but I just forgot to do it, anyway this team keeps me entertained because even if have some facilities I have to keep alert to not loose. Thanks for watching and I' would really appreciate an improve for this team.**

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Stun Spore

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Flame Charge

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Haxorus @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello milton, welcome to Smogon forums! :psyglad:

Despite some unfavourable move and set choices here and there, I believe your squad has the foundation to become a solid team. I like the approach you took with incorporating as many different types and roles as possible, although there is much more to teambuilding than that! First and foremost a builder should remind themselves what they want their team to accomplish, and how the different parts of their team play together to work towards that goal. This team somewhat lacks this coherence, and I would like to help you fix this issue so that the flow of the team becomes more streamlined, helping you to approach games in a more planned manner. There will be quite a few changes but I made sure to keep some of the more unique sets and 'mon choices intact so that the integrity of your team's individuality remains.
  1. Speed control is the very first topic I would like to address here. Your team incorporates two measures of speed control: Thunder Wave Togekiss and Tailwind Suicune. While these can certainly be effective, I believe this squad would appreciate some more immediate reserves that it can rely on in critical situations:

Mega Aerodactyl >
    SpDef Togekiss

This change mainly improves the team's match-up versus Gliscor, Gengar, Mega Beedrill and Crobat, while still maintaining the ability to respond to fast threats suchs as Latias and Serperior, though no longer defensively but offensively. Ice Fang is critical for the match-up versus Gliscor, whereas Pursuit chips or removes some of the aforementioned threats. Stealth Rock is added in the last slot since the team was lacking hazards so far, more on that later.

Choice Scarf Chandelure > Focus Sash Chandelure

Focus Sash Chandelure is one example of an "unfavourable set choice" that I mentioned earlier on. Briefly, Sash doesn't do this team any good, this team can't prevent hazards anyway and bulk is generally not worth the loss in speed for the fiery chandelier. A speedier set takes better advantage of Chandelure's traits and would enhance the team's match-up versus the likes of Serperior, Breloom and Cobalion. Thus, a Choice Scarf set is a decent fit here. Alongside dual STAB in Flamethrower and Shadow Ball, a fast Memento can create an opportunity for set up, whereas Overheat specifically aims to OHKO Mega Manectric, which this team has trouble with. Infiltrator is used for SubSeed Serperior.

2. Breaking prowess is of great importance when constructing an offensive team like this one. Be it by overloading checks, utilizing a lure, trapping or crippling answers to a particular sweeper, or simply stacking up on set up sweepers. These are all valid approaches. This team appear to focus on the latter option, and I would like to present a change of pace for one member as well as incorporating another method to pressure the opposing team:

Swords Dance Lum Berry Haxorus > Dragon Dance Haxorus

There is one reason that alone is significant enough to justify this chaneg, and that is the team's match-up versus stall. With Swords Dance and a Lum Berry equipped Haxorus can break through stall much more reliably than a Leftovers Dragon Dance variant ever could. Fret not, this team has improved versus offensive teams with the two previous changes already, and in the next step (3) I will present an option that can compensate for the loss of a speed boosting physical set up sweeper.

The hazard game (Stealth Rock Mega Aerodactyl, Spikes Roserade)
    I mentioned before that hazards can be critical to this team's success. Some members on this team, particularly Suicune which even functions as a sweeper, aren't all that strong (even with a boost under their belt), which is where hazards show their worth. Mega Aerodactyl is a distinguished Stealth Rock user, preventing and punishing many Defog users from the attempt to clear hazards. Moreover, I recommend to utilize Spikes in the last slot on Roserade, which was previously occupied by Stun Spore, since it punishes switches in a way that is more appreciated by virtue of the team's many set up sweepers.

3. A team's defensive value can not be neglected, even offensive teams need countermeasures to the plethora of threats that roam the tier. Sometimes even an offensive move can be considered to add defensive value, such as priority moves or hazards since they compromise the opposing team's ability to (repeatedly) execute their offensive strategy. Here are two adjustments I made that mainly aim to expand the team's defensive cabalities:

Double Dance Cobalion >
    Focus Sash Lucario

See into running DD Cobalion over Lucario. They have the same typing, and occupy similar yet differentiated roles. As you can infer from the title of this section, Cobalion offers much more defensively than Lucario does, which prompted me to not simply opt for a Swords Dance variant on Lucario itself. I admit that Lucario is somewhat underutilized at the current point in time in UU but Cobalion is, in my opinion, the better fit here because of its ability to soft check Mega Aeroadactyl, Mega Altaria, Mamoswine, Mega Sharpedo and Scizor. Fightinium Z allows Cobalion to break through supposed checks and improves its ability to deal with Scizor, while Rock Polish can turn it from a decent breaker into a fearsome sweeper.

EV spread on Roserade
    A small but effective fix is to opt for some HP investment on Roserade since the team would appreciate an additional resist to Aqua Jet from BD Azumarill (that doesn't rely on a 30% chance or ). 112 HP EVs and 36 defense EVs allow Roserade to survive a +6 boosted Aqua Jet after Stealth Rock (or one round of Life Orb) damage. This spread comes with the added benefit of surviving a +2 HP Fire from Serperior after Leaf Storm and Stealth Rock (or one round of Life Orb) damage, which in return relieves some pressure from Chandelure in match-ups where it is also tasked with checking Scizor or Breloom, for example.

4. Identifying and executing a win condition is dependent on team match-up and can be adjust over the course of the battle, but it is of signifance to already have a game plan for the team in mind while crafting it. Here is an overview of important sequences and approaches that can be handy to consider when playing with this team:

- Lay up hazards with Mega Aerodactyl and Roserade, and don't be afraid to take advantage of switches!
    - Utilize Pursuit on Mega Aerodactyl to remove or weaken Ghosts and Psychics that stand in the way of Cobalion and to punish switches!
    - Memento on Chandelure can allow for set up with one of the many set up sweepers. Time it well and consider beforehand whether Chandelure is expandable or not!
    - Generally, break with Haxorus to pave the way for a sweep with either Suicune or Cobalion. Important: Against stall SD Haxorus will be your win condition instead, try to break the opposing team as much as possible with other members of the team (hazards!) before attempting to set up!
Even with these fixes the team remains with a fair share of weaknesses (Mega Manectric for example is a huge pain that has to be pressured by hazards and Pursuit from Mega Aerodactyl) but I believe them to have improved the team's quality overall. Tailwind CM Suicune is a cool set, and sniping unsuspecting Breloom with a +1 Ice Beam was satisfying to say the least. I opted for Timid in the import below since Mamoswine gave me a good amount of trouble but Modest is still fine as long as it gets the jump on positive base 70s. Let me know if you have any questions, cheers!

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Roserade @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 36 Def / 132 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spikes

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 48 HP / 4 Def / 240 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Tailwind

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Memento
- Overheat

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

This team is incredibly weak to all forms of Hazard spam. Aside from T-spikes removal you have no hazard control whatsoever with 2 rocks weak mons, two focus sash users, and defensive pokemon with open holes in their defenses.

Additionally, there are some very odd choices. The Suicune set isn't optimal for sweeping, support or surprise offence, Roserade has some odd options in Stun Spore and HP Rock, and your items on Chandelure and Lucario prevent them from being effective breakers. (Especially that Lucario set. It covers your weaknesses well but with BP 40 STABs it's not doing much offensively.)

I mostly agree with the above poster, but I'm going to put a team here that a little closer reflects the look of the initial team.
Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Although Suicune/Togekiss isn't a bad defensive core, it leaves a crucially important electric weakness. This hippo spread should be able to hold off Manectric-mega, while also giving you rocks and whirlwind support. Toxic is an alternative option, but this allows you to check things like SD Cobalion more effectively.

I opted for Crocune over Vincune as I removed Roserade down the line, and Vincune is a little weak to toxic spikes.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Fire-Water-Grass offensive cores are generally pretty effective, so I've kept that in place. However, you haven't used your mega, so I felt like pushing one of my favorite underused megas. Sceptile lures in specially defensive threats (read Blissey) and then blows back whole teams. You lose the hazard support that Roserade is capable of, but Hippo is picking up the slack there.

When it comes to Chandelure, its general hazard weakness means that a sash is useless. It's not even that frail. With a scarf it can provide both speed control and stallbreaking potential thanks to trick. I opted for Infiltrator as Suicune nicely handles every fire type that isn't a meme Grassium-Z-SolarBeam lure, and it lets us smack Vincune with energy balls when it thinks it can set up.

If you don't want to meme this is probably a better Sceptile set:
Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

As I don't think this team needs a third setup sweeper, here's some more speed control that also works well as a bulky pivot.

First of all I thank everyone for the time they took to read my post and for the inconvenience of helping me improve my team. I will try your suggestions and soon I will give another answer saying how these modifications have been and if I have made a change based on my experiences. For now I warned you that soon I will upload another post about a double team in OU that I did and that has been very useful for me. I would also like to comment in passing some points that I do not explain in my post and forget to do so.

First- I see that you're commenting about my weakness to the Hazard Spam and it's true, sure I should put in my team defog or something to remove them, but the reason cause I didn´t do it is because don't want to loose turns removing hazards instead using these turns to make more damage.

Second- A Choice Scarf Chandelure crossed my mind, but I discarded it because it could get block in one move that next opponest could resist, forcing me to change pokemon risk me to get injured by Hazard spams. I apply this logic with all the Choice users

Third- Outrage Haxorus was a tempting option cause its power, but the reason i didn't choose it comes with fairies types, especially Azumarill who took advantage of this chain and weakened it, and steel types resisted well this move.

And for last an explanation of how I see my team in battle. I am of these people who wanna keep the pokemon the most time and trying to avoid switches because I think I'll risk the rest of my team with possible hazards or something else. So I prefer to keep my team as health as possible. But thats just an oppinion, thank you so much.

Not to sugarcoat anything, an attitude like that is just going to lead to a lot of lost games. If you're not okay to make switches, you're not going to win. On a team like the one esche presented, you don't care about the little pieces of chip as you're able to capitalise on hazard turns, and you're not trying to outlast your opponent. If you don't want your team to be weak to hazard spam, you have to use threats that don't care that much about hazards. Focus Sash users are the worst possible thing you could use, as their items are invalidated by a turn one spikes.
(Although if I'm honest against esche's team I click Sticky Web turn 1 and the game ends.)

There is no pokemon that breaks every pokemon in the metagame. If you think you need to be able to break everything to justify a choice, that would mean that choice is simply not viable, which pretty clearly isn't true. Chandelure on my squad is not there to beat stall, but to hurt offence. (Although trick basically renders your complaint null anyway.)

I actually agree that non dragonium haxorus should run Dragon Claw for fairies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)