RMT: What's a Charizard Y?

*Disclaimer* This is assuming the tier positions of certain pokemon do not change from BW2

Greninja @ Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
-Ice Beam
-Spikes
-Taunt
-U-turn

By now everyone has seen the ninja frog and how powerful of a lead it can be. The epitome of a swiss army knife, Greninja has the speed to do any task I set it to do at the beginning of a game. I chose to run Ice Beam over the popular Hydro Pump since the sunlight is constantly out when I'm playing.

Mega Charizard Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Fire Blast
-Focus Blast
-Roost
-Solar Beam

Of the two Charizards, this one is less commonly seen and I hardly understand why. 159 base SpA along with sunlight hits like a truck and it is decently bulky with the improved 115 base SpD gained from the mega evolution. Solar Beam is for silly Water types who think they have a free switch in. Dragon Pulse is for coverage and Roost is for opportune moments. What's also awesome about Charizard Y is that he is selfish enough to enjoy Sunlight benefits without needing to devote an entire lineup to using it.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz
-Mach Punch
-U-Turn

Sun boosted Flare Blitz hits just as ridiculous as it did last gen, perhaps even more so with the downfall of the rain metagame. Iron Fist along with Mach Punch makes scary threats to this team's lineup such as Tyranitar and Mega Lucario much more manageable. Close Combat doesn't really need an explanation. U-turn is for more scouting versatility, but I'm on the fence if I should play Thunderpunch instead.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Fusion Bolt
-Iron Head
-Outrage
-Stone Edge

This Pokemon is where my disclaimer at the top applies to, but I don't predict him going anywhere. Anyways, a 170 Base Attack Outrage is off the charts in OU. By the time people figure out I'm running a Choice Scarf set since usually a bulky mixed sweeper is the norm, they probably lost a Pokemon already. Due to Kyurem's shallow movepool, I opted to run Iron Head if I predict a Fairy-type switch in, and Stone Miss for additional coverage if I don't feel locking myself into Outrage is opportune. If Kyurem-B does go back to Ubers though, I was thinking of just running a similar Scarf set with something like Haxorus, but other suggestions are always welcome!

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Nature: Impish
-Brave Bird
-Defog
-Roost
-Whirlwind

Defog is the greatest thing ever since sliced bread. No really, the fact that Sturdy + Defog is a thing that can be played is perfect for my team, which otherwise suffers from big Stealth Rock Weaknesses concerning Charizard and Kyurem-Black. Skarmory is still as strong as a physical wall as always, and it serves to scare off mean things like Tyranitar who assume I'm running Toxic. Speaking of which, I do sort of miss the option of Toxic Stall, but I feel that everything else on this set is too essential.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: This has an ability?
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
Nature: Calm
-Moonblast
-Protect
-Toxic
-Wish

This is a new toy from the new generation since I felt obliged to try out a fairy, and it's actually quite awesome. Wish Support is hugely welcome in my team, since Kyurem-B lacks any sort of recovery, and Stealth Rocks won't ALWAYS be off the field. The fairy typing is pretty cool to scare off threats to my team such as Scarf Chomp from mindlessly pressing Outrage, and the Moonblast hits decently hard. I'm not sure if I like Florges over traditional Special Walls such as Blissey, but its typing fits in with the rest of my lineup quite well.

Overall, I've won most of my games with this simply to people underestimating what Charizard Y is capable of. However, as awesome as Sturdy+Defog, Stealth Rocks isn't always off the field, and having 2 weak sweepers to them is an inherent weakness in this team. I'd say my biggest problems are Mega Lucario if my Infernape is knocked out, and Sticky Web is also a hindrance for the majority of my team, since I can't really answer it immediately.

Last edited:
Great team, although i havent seen enough Charizard yet to comment on that. all i can say is switch Florges with Sylveon. Better HP for Wish at the expense of slightly less SpD.

Great team, although i havent seen enough Charizard yet to comment on that. all i can say is switch Florges with Sylveon. Better HP for Wish at the expense of slightly less SpD.
Or stick with Florges, and replace Toxic or Protect with Aromatherapy. Always a useful move to have up your sleeve...

1. Greninja is an awesome choice you have there, but I don't understand why you'd give it Spikes and Taunt. It's glass cannon (it's got even worse defenses compared to Charizard), a Hit-and-run Pokemon. I am totally behind your choice of U-turn and Ice Beam though.
This is my personal set-up for Greninja:
Greninja* @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

2. Mega Charizard Y, it's totally boss. At first, I wanted to give mine Dragon Pulse as well, but Focus Blast is a gamble I'm willing to take considering a lack of Focus Blast renders Droughtzard useless towards Pokemon such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Also, Air Slash is a better move than Dragon Pulse because of STAB bonus (75 x 1.5 > 85 x 1.0) and being effective to more Pokemon than Dragon Pulse. Personally, I'd focus on Droughtzard's speed, giving it Timid nature because you don't want anyone to out-speed it.
This is my personal set-up for Mega Charizard Y:
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam
- Focus Blast

3. Infernape: Same can be said about Greninja when I look back on it. I don't understand the idea of giving a speedy Pokemon U-turn, *UNLESS* you're sure the Pokemon you gonna summon can take the hit. Infernape is actually a good choice. Its Fire power gets boosted thanks to Droughtzard and it can demolish Blissey and Tyranitar.
4. Kyurem-Black: Personally, I'm not a fan of using legendaries in a team, so I don't have much to say on this.
5. Skarmory: Alternatively, you could use Scizor, but I guess the mixture of Sturdy and Defog is very useful. I think Superpower Scizor might stand a chance against Mega Lucario, just saying.
6. Florges: Despite my hatred to it, Blissey is actually a good alternative if necessary. They're both Special Walls, but it's a question whether 0 EV Sp ATK Moonblast can pull off more damage than Lv 100 Seismic Toss.

All in all, interesting team, and rock on with Charizard (no pun intended).

1. Greninja is an awesome choice you have there, but I don't understand why you'd give it Spikes and Taunt. It's glass cannon (it's got even worse defenses compared to Charizard), a Hit-and-run Pokemon. I am totally behind your choice of U-turn and Ice Beam though.
Greninja* @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
I actually like Taunt on Greninja, it turns him into an effective lead against Smeargle/Galvantula/Ferrothorn/etc., because he's much faster. He can Taunt on the first turn, forcing the switch and then (in this team's case) he can lay down a round of Spikes.

I use this Greninja:

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

I don't carry Spikes, but I've forced many a switch with Taunt, and then I get a free hit on whatever is switching in (and with Life Orb and a pretty diverse move-pool, that free hit often hurts).

I actually like Taunt on Greninja, it turns him into an effective lead against Smeargle/Galvantula/Ferrothorn/etc., because he's much faster. He can Taunt on the first turn, forcing the switch and then (in this team's case) he can lay down a round of Spikes.

I use this Greninja:

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

I don't carry Spikes, but I've forced many a switch with Taunt, and then I get a free hit on whatever is switching in (and with Life Orb and a pretty diverse move-pool, that free hit often hurts).
I prefer Surf to Scald. It may not give me a chance to burn the opponent, but its BP is slightly higher than Scald's. I see the usage in Taunt, but it's still a risky thing, considering Greninja is very fragile. I have started to avoid Choice items and Life Orbs personally because 7 out of 10 times, they bite me back.
Anyway, your set-up is very good as well, especially if you can afford the lack of Grass Knot or Extrasensory.

I prefer Surf to Scald. It may not give me a chance to burn the opponent, but its BP is slightly higher than Scald's. I see the usage in Taunt, but it's still a risky thing, considering Greninja is very fragile. I have started to avoid Choice items and Life Orbs personally because 7 out of 10 times, they bite me back.
Anyway, your set-up is very good as well, especially if you can afford the lack of Grass Knot or Extrasensory.
A lot of it comes down to your team-makeup. Obviously, whatever build you use should compliment the rest of your team (and the only team member we have in common is Greninja, so I would hope that our builds would be slightly different).

Personally I go with Scald because although it doesn't hurt as much as Hydro Pump or Surf, physical sweepers are often hesitant to switch into it due to the burn chance.

Greninja* @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
I absolutely love Taunt on Greninja. It messes up Stealth Rocks/Galvantula leads completely which are problematic hazards for my team. I was debating if I should gear it to be more offensive, I've seen a lot of people use those line-ups successfully.

2. Mega Charizard Y, it's totally boss. At first, I wanted to give mine Dragon Pulse as well, but Focus Blast is a gamble I'm willing to take considering a lack of Focus Blast renders Droughtzard useless towards Pokemon such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Also, Air Slash is a better move than Dragon Pulse because of STAB bonus (75 x 1.5 > 85 x 1.0) and being effective to more Pokemon than Dragon Pulse. Personally, I'd focus on Droughtzard's speed, giving it Timid nature because you don't want anyone to out-speed it.
This is my personal set-up for Mega Charizard Y:
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam
- Focus Blast
Focus Blast is an interesting option, as Charizard practically screams for Tyranitar to switch into it. The move hates me though from experience :/. I considered Air Slash, but when you take into account that of the three types it would hit super effectively (Grass, Bug, Fighting), Fire Blast already hits super effective on two of them, and has a lot higher BP+Sunlight.

I think your team is very balanced, and quite well put together. I have a few nit picks though.

While I agree with Spikes Greninja for pesky Electric types who think they can shut you down, I completely am dumbfounded figuring out why you would take a slot to add Taunt. If you think Taunt is a necessity, switch up the moves on Skarmory. I recommend Grass Knot on Greninja instead of Taunt, since you lack water moves, it will take care of big Rock or Ground types.

I urge you to keep Florges, as it's a very, very good Pokemon. I use it as a mixed wall and sweeper, and it works wonderfully. Good thing is, it's support roll is just as good if not better! Florges is the way better option then Sylveon.

Now, I know this may seem strange, but you should consider something like Poison Jab on Infernape. Your team is quite weak to fairies, and since many Fairy types don't have high speed/high defenses, Infernape it the perfect carrier. Fairy types are becoming extremely popular since it's now one of if not the best type competitively in the game. Iron head Kyurem-B isn't the most reliable for killing Fairy types, as it has to be out in play and faster, other wise you will most likely lose a huge component to your team.

Also, Skarmory is supposed to be your physical wall. Brave Bird only prevents it from doing it's job, as it damages you quite considerably, taking away your sturdy as well. Consider a lower powered and more reliable Flying move for Skarmory, as it shouldn't even really be attacking.

I do like your team though! :)

I absolutely love Taunt on Greninja. It messes up Stealth Rocks/Galvantula leads completely which are problematic hazards for my team. I was debating if I should gear it to be more offensive, I've seen a lot of people use those line-ups successfully.

Focus Blast is an interesting option, as Charizard practically screams for Tyranitar to switch into it. The move hates me though from experience :/. I considered Air Slash, but when you take into account that of the three types it would hit super effectively (Grass, Bug, Fighting), Fire Blast already hits super effective on two of them, and has a lot higher BP+Sunlight.
Of course, but Air Slash is a nice alternative when the opponent is resistant to Fire (immensely) and Air Slash would do the job better than Dragon Pulse because of STAB boost. Do keep in mind that if you're going to play your Droughtzard, it cannot defeat Heatran. But you've got Infernape with Close Combat and Mach Punch, so you're safe.
I do think you shouldn't give your Greninja, at the very least, Spikes. Taunt, I can understand, but Spikes is kinda counter-productive considering you're using Defog Skarmory (then again my personal team is kinda counter productive by default, so I guess I'm not the right person to comment on it, haha).

I think your team is very balanced, and quite well put together. I have a few nit picks though.

While I agree with Spikes Greninja for pesky Electric types who think they can shut you down, I completely am dumbfounded figuring out why you would take a slot to add Taunt. If you think Taunt is a necessity, switch up the moves on Skarmory. I recommend Grass Knot on Greninja instead of Taunt, since you lack water moves, it will take care of big Rock or Ground types.

I urge you to keep Florges, as it's a very, very good Pokemon. I use it as a mixed wall and sweeper, and it works wonderfully. Good thing is, it's support roll is just as good if not better! Florges is the way better option then Sylveon.

Now, I know this may seem strange, but you should consider something like Poison Jab on Infernape. Your team is quite weak to fairies, and since many Fairy types don't have high speed/high defenses, Infernape it the perfect carrier. Fairy types are becoming extremely popular since it's now one of if not the best type competitively in the game. Iron head Kyurem-B isn't the most reliable for killing Fairy types, as it has to be out in play and faster, other wise you will most likely lose a huge component to your team.

Also, Skarmory is supposed to be your physical wall. Brave Bird only prevents it from doing it's job, as it damages you quite considerably, taking away your sturdy as well. Consider a lower powered and more reliable Flying move for Skarmory, as it shouldn't even really be attacking.

I do like your team though! :)
Taunt is really good against Galv leads/SR leads to assure they are off the field. It's similar to the old strategies people used to play with Aerodactyl/Deoxys-S back in the day.

I'm loving Florges too, she's probably here to say.

Not sure where you're seeing a Fairy weakness though. Charizard Y 2HKOs Florges with Fire Blast as a matter of fact. Kyurem-B will always be faster since he is scarfed. Also most fairies are like you said, special walls so I don't see them coming in on an Infernape.

I was considering trading out Brave Bird on Skarm for Toxic, but I'm worried about the Taunt getting in there.

Of course, but Air Slash is a nice alternative when the opponent is resistant to Fire (immensely) and Air Slash would do the job better than Dragon Pulse because of STAB boost. Do keep in mind that if you're going to play your Droughtzard, it cannot defeat Heatran. But you've got Infernape with Close Combat and Mach Punch, so you're safe.
I do think you shouldn't give your Greninja, at the very least, Spikes. Taunt, I can understand, but Spikes is kinda counter-productive considering you're using Defog Skarmory (then again my personal team is kinda counter productive by default, so I guess I'm not the right person to comment on it, haha).
I could play something other than Spikes, but what would it be? Considering that I'm going HP>SpA, what would you say is worth the slot?

Since you're running spikes on Greninja I'd be careful of Smeargles with magic coat.
You use taunt to stop them from setting up their hazards on you but after the magic coat Greninja is no longer able to lay down the spikes that you may need to break a sash or sturdy from happening.
I'm not saying every smeargle will run it, but it is still something to look out for.
If it isn't something you are worried about (which I assume you are not) then I would just take my statement with a grain of salt :)

idk if ppl have said this, but one does not simply run charizard and 2 u-turners without a spinner (lol) Try either cloyster (some spin, smash, icicle spear and spikes/rock blast) or starmie (standard offensive with spin>t-bolt or psychic) over greninja. both are reasonably fast and you arent loosing too much IMO.
also, doesnt defog get rid of both sides hazards? if so, then why run skamory over a faster pokemon like crobat?

just IMO, thx for reading

idk if ppl have said this, but one does not simply run charizard and 2 u-turners without a spinner (lol) Try either cloyster (some spin, smash, icicle spear and spikes/rock blast) or starmie (standard offensive with spin>t-bolt or psychic) over greninja. both are reasonably fast and you arent loosing too much IMO.
also, doesnt defog get rid of both sides hazards? if so, then why run skamory over a faster pokemon like crobat?

just IMO, thx for reading
You do realize that Defog gets rid of Stealth Rocks correct? I would much rather assure that hazards are off the field than worry about setting them over there. Spikes is nice though for teams that aren't big on setting hazards.

That said, the Starmie doesn't sound like a bad idea.

EDIT: Replaced Dragon Pulse w/ Focus Blast on Charizard Y. Dragon Pulse doesn't acquire any objectives on bulkier Dragon Pokemon like I expected it to, and just causes problems with Weakness Policy Dragonite.

Last edited:
i really dont like the greninja he is too frail to put up 3 layers of spikes and with defogers everywhere your spikes will disapear preety fast and greninja doesnt have the bulk to set them up over and over, especialy since even your skarmory will get ride of them.

i would go more offensice with greninja

i use
hydro pump
Ice beam
Dark pulse
U turn

with hasty nature and life orb it works wonders, he doesnt have the bulk to make leftovers worth it so what you taunted galvantula then what? galvantula has energy ball,thunder and some random HP most of the time so you taunt get a layer of spikes and die?unless you switch out wich makes both teams aconplish nothing i dont like the idea of it, also very few ppl actualy run stealth rock on the first pokemon, that is more for gen 5 imo.

Like some ppl said i would totaly change charizard nature to timid, you dont want to be outspeeded if you can help it, and i would run air slash instead of dragon pulse, because if you dont you got nothing to hit some strong fire types

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)