All Gens RoAPL IV: Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All logos were done by 0Nl

Introduction

The old gen team tournament you've been waiting for, for so long... finally returns!​

The format will consist of 2 spots of RBY OU, GSC OU, ADV OU, DPP OU, BW OU and ORAS OU - every series except RBY's will be decided in a first-to-1-win (FT1W) series, RBY featuring a FT2W series. RoAPL IV will have 7 qualifying weeks, followed by a seeded semi-finals (top 4) and then finals. Managers and assistant managers will not be able to play. Dead games will be declared and will be worth nothing towards the standings. Teams will receive 1 point for a win, 1/2 a point for a tie and 0 points for a loss at the end of each week. Individual wins, Individual win percentage will be the tie-breaker for qualifying for the playoffs, with head-to-head team records considered and a 3-on-3 tiebreak if there is still a tie for a seed.​

RBY OU
Banned Moves
Dig, Double Team, Fissure, Fly, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize (Dig/Fly Glitch Prevention + Evasion + OHKO moves).
Banned Pokémon
Mew, Mewtwo.
Clauses
Freeze Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause.

GSC OU
Banned Pokémon
Celebi, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo.
Banned Moves
Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize (Evasion + OHKO moves).
Banned Moveset Combinations
Hypnosis|Lovely Kiss|Sing|Sleep Powder|Spore AND Perish Song AND Mean Look|Spider Web (Sleep Perish Trap)
Clauses
Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Freeze Clause.

ADV OU
Banned Pokémon
Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys-Speed, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Wobbuffet, Wynaut.
Banned Moves
Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize, Sheer Cold (Evasion + OHKO moves).
Banned Moves on Pokémon
Ingrain on Smeargle.
Clauses
Sleep Clause, Species Clause.

DPP OU
Banned Pokémon
Arceus (All formes), Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys-Speed, Dialga, Garchomp, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Salamence, Shaymin-Sky, Wobbuffet, Wynaut.
Banned Moves
Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize, Sheer Cold (Evasion + OHKO moves).
Banned Abilities
Sand Veil and Snow Cloak for Pokémon with more than one ability.
Clauses
Sleep Clause, Species Clause.

BW OU
Banned Pokémon
Arceus (All Formes), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys-Speed, Dialga, Dugtrio, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-Sky, Thundurus, Tornadus-Therian, Zekrom.
Banned Moves
Banned Items
Soul Dew.
Banned Abilities
Moody, Sand Veil and Snow Cloak.
Banned Ability Combinations
Drizzle & Swift Swim , Sand Stream & Sand Rush, Drought & Chlorophyll.
Clauses
Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Team Preview Clause.

ORAS OU
Banned Pokémon
Aegislash, Arceus (All Formes), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (All formes), Dialga, Dugtrio, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Greninja, Groudon, Groudon-Primal, Ho-Oh, Hoopa-Unbound, Kyogre, Kyogre-Primal, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-Sky, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom.
Banned Moves
Baton Pass, Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize, Sheer Cold (Evasion + OHKO moves), Swagger.
Banned Items
Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, Mawilite, Sablenite, Salamencite, Soul Dew.
Banned Abilities
Moody, Shadow Tag.
Clauses
Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Team Preview Clause.

Semifinals

Wyvern Weaviles (5) vs. (7) PO Town Porygons
RBY OU: Nails (2-1) Ranshiin
RBY OU: Mister Tim (2-1) The Quasar
GSC OU: dom vs Moony
GSC OU: NaCl vs Slick Willy
ADV OU: z0mOG vs BKC
ADV OU: teal6 vs Jirachee
DPP OU: HANTSUKI vs DeepBlueC
DPP OU: lax vs LifeStyle
BW2 OU: elodin vs steelskitty
BW2 OU: FY2.0/Eko [undisputed] vs suapah
ORAS OU: Snowy vs The Kyle
ORAS OU: Der Schweinsteiger [Znain] vs Eternal Spirit

Fortree Forretress (5) vs. (7) Mauville Magnetons
RBY OU: Heroic Troller (2-1) TropicalTeo
RBY OU: Raiza (2-0) ErPeris
GSC OU: Lavos vs 1 True Lycan
GSC OU: Kingler12345 [choolio] vs Kaori
ADV OU: eden's embrace vs Acsel
ADV OU: Steven Snype vs Ricardo [Alexander.]
DPP OU: ToF vs Googly
DPP OU: NightFox vs fatty
BW2 OU: Luckstard. vs Teclis
BW2 OU: Diego Maradona vs FLCL
ORAS OU: Bushtush vs Lopunny Kicks
ORAS OU: Unamed vs Charmflash

Battle Location: http://smogtours.psim.us/ (no hiding battle rooms)

Deadline is May 20th 23:59PM EDT
24/24 matches​

Let me know if I have made any mistakes with pairings, and good luck!

Last edited:

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Fortree Forretress (8) vs. Mauville Magnetons (4)
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs TropicalTeo
RBY OU: Raiza vs ErPeris
GSC OU: Lavos vs 1 True Lycan
GSC OU: choolio vs Kaori
ADV OU: eden's embrace vs Acsel
ADV OU: Steven Snype vs Alexander.
DPP OU: ToF vs Googly
DPP OU: NightFox vs fatty
BW2 OU: Luckstard. vs Teclis
BW2 OU: Diego Maradona vs FLCL
ORAS OU: Bushtush vs Lopunny Kicks
ORAS OU: Unamed vs Charmflash
hf weaviles

Hey all, so I've sent out interviews to all of the managers of the teams who have made it this far. I'll be posting responses to the questions I asked them in this thread. Re, the interviews compared to last year, I'm aware that this is the first batch, I'm entirely to blame for this happening so late. What I intend to do now is post the interviews with all 4 managers here, and then interview the winning team again at the end. This can also be a chance for the winning team's players to post/show off teams they used this tour that they feel are effective and don't mind giving out.

This interview is with Chillshadow, manager of the PO Town Porygons. Big thanks to him for being for the first response.

1) Your team entered playoffs as the number 4 seed, are you feeling confident to take the whole tournament?

I'm pretty confident of my team's ability to win, for one we're more motivated and prepared and we already had mostly neutral or positive results vs everyone else left in playoffs.

2) How do you feel this week has been going for you so far, in terms of prep and matches played?

prep is going on fine, as far as the matches played there's only been 2, we got lucked in both but we did win 1 so that's nice i guess.

3) What do you think has been the strongest aspect of your team?

the core of BKC helping out the non-BKCers of the team and the players being motivated and wanting to prove themselves in general

4) Is there anything you would do differently if you manage in a team tour again?

i would look way more into the players of the tier that i'm not too knowledgeable of to get advice from people with better knowledge of hidden "gems", also i would definitely be more aggro wrt bidding for people i want.

5) How many of the old gen tiers in this tour do you play? Has this been helpful to your players?

i play every single tier to some extent, the newer the better, my help was mostly testing whenever i ican because my players are competent enough to do everything else

6) Are there any particular strategies that you’ve used as a manager that you’ve felt have been important to the success of your team?

drafting bkc

7) Are there any particular strategies that your players have used that you’ve felt have been important to the success of your team?

listening to bkc unless ur kushalos

8) What week has been the most exciting for you thus far?

last week was pretty fun cuz we had to beat an overachieving team to take their spot and it was close

9) How did you first get into pokemon?

emulator>mmo>simulators

10) Your whole team is locked in a room together. All enter, only one may leave. Who makes it out alive?

no one escapes the porygon orgy

11) Give us your favourite music video so we can all roast your music taste.

12) Do you think doing conducting these interviews will help increase my like to post ratio?

no

Ok, I just got the next bunch of responses from The Idiot Ninja, manager of the Mauville Magnetons. Big thanks to him too for responding fast!

1) Your team entered playoffs as the number 3 seed, are you feeling confident to take the whole tournament?

We're a great team and we've proven it by qualifying for playoffs. In single semis and finals anything can happen and as a manager I've lost semis where I was much more favored going into them than I am right now, and won semis where I was much less favored, so I can't really say.

2) How do you feel this week has been going for you so far, in terms of prep and matches played?

We're down 0-2, one was an RBY set where some luck could've easily tipped it our way, another was an ORAS match where match up wasn't the nicest... It'll be an uphill battle but until they win 7 I'll keep working with my players.

We're currently working with 23000 credits of deficit due to having to change Blightbringer, a 16k buy, for a 3k sellback, and then Hangover, another 10k player and solid performer, just suddenly stopped showing up one day around week 4-5, but we have a large enough roster to put up with it, so that's definitely one thing we're doing well. Having a solid group of trusted italian players has helped keeping many of them more dedicated than they otherwise would be, which is also a good upside.

4) Is there anything you would do differently if you manage in a team tour again?

This is my third experience managing a team tournament with this kind of draft after EGL and PPL (there was a WCoPP but not having the same draft format really puts that one in a league of its own), and considering I made playoffs in all three, I can only be happy with how things are going. One thing I didn't like about my performance this tournament has been the risks I've taken on some activity question marks but I like to blame those on Void usually. Also, having only managed smaller size tours before, it took me some adaptation to learn how to manage a 12-man (plus subs) roster, but I think I've already improved there through the start of the season so it's not really a huge concern looking forward at future tours. Perhaps my biggest regret was not nominating and securing two reliable GSCers early on in the draft. I correctly identified the absolute lack of GSC players in the pool during planning but didn't act accordingly, of course I kept it in mind but it was absolutely a situation where I should have been more decisive earlier on.

5) How many of the old gen tiers in this tour do you play in addition to RBY? Has this been helpful to your players?

People who know me know that I dabble in almost every tier of pokémon. It's been helpful to my players in the sense that I only drafted good ones thanks to my general knowledge, but I've also been able to throw in some advice here and there for almost every tier - I wouldn't say it was a gamechanger in actually getting great match ups, but I think it's nice for a player to know that your manager is there to help you going into your games and it's had a positive effect on the team overall. I'm really a jack of all trades master of none player and I don't want people to think of me as too much of an RBY main. If I have a future in the tournament community, without a shadow of a doubt it's as a manager.

6) Are there any particular strategies that you’ve used as a manager that you’ve felt have been important to the success of your team?

Well I get to look at the player pool with a different view than most managers because I get to know rising italian prospects before they're known to the general public - case in point, Lopunny Kicks for 4k has been an easy steal. I don't think I had any strategy in particular, I just had a draft of higher quality than most other teams and made the pieces land in the right places.

7) Are there any particular strategies that your players have used that you’ve felt have been important to the success of your team?

They're good at pokémon.

Week 6 surely. We needed a win due to our abysmal start of season but the boys kept the upwards trend going and did really really well securing a large victory against a strong team.

Played Sapphire when I was around 8, followed it up with the rest of the games, looked some 'mons things up on the internet when I was 9, found forums with competitive battling sections, have been flirting with the game on and off ever since. DPP was current gen and Shoddy Battle was the main simulator when I first learned of Smogon, but I didn't really take the game too seriously until about one year ago.

10) Your whole team is locked in a room together. All enter, only one may leave. Who makes it out alive?

Alex is the alpha male of the team, easy answer

Well if you want to roast my music taste, my favorite song at the moment is Black Sky by Bcee (it changes roughly every 10 days though). If you want to watch my favorite MV, here you go:

12) Do you think doing conducting these interviews will help increase my like to post ratio?

Well you have an higher like to post ratio than me, but it's still not stellar, so maybe?

Last edited:
Ok, next off, is an interview with Kevin Garrett, manager of the Fortree Forretress. All of the managers responded in the first day I sent these out, which I definitely appreciate!

1) Your team entered playoffs as the number 2 seed, are you feeling confident to take the whole tournament?

Regular season placement means very little; we didn’t play our best lineup in any of the weeks. There are good teams in the playoff, and we’re prepared to play anybody.

We’re off to a promising start, but the real challenge is in closing.

It’s a nice collection of individuals and we’ve adapted a unique culture to our group.

Each group requires its own approach. Unless I’m working with the same group, it would be different. This is a circuit tournament, so naturally the mindset is different than for SPL or WCOP. With that in mind, we’ve cultivated our culture in line with the setting.

5) How many of the old gen tiers in this tour do you play in addition to ADV? Has this been helpful to your players?

Only the new gens I’m not well practiced in, but most of my impact is on the ADV. We brought in an experienced core of players with diversity across several tiers. Everyone is free to contribute where they’d like.

They are successful in their own right. I’m not going to take away credit from what the players have done. Yes there are things I do as a manager that impact the performance overall, but that doesn’t need to be publicized. If they win, they take all the credit.

Again, they’ve been tremendous at putting in exactly what they want to give. That’s all I asked coming in. I’m not going to disclose their approach to matches.

There wasn’t a particularly exciting week during the season, it’s all about the playoffs. I guess week one was cool because we were all getting acquainted with each other.

Pokémon Red and Blue along with an entire generation of kids in the 90s.

Luckstard since we have 2 of him, have to go with the percentages.

People still watch music videos? I don’t, but I did post the theme for Rocky in the chat.

Who needs likes when we used to have luvdiscs.

Finally, I have an interview with praj.pran, manager of the Wyvern Weaviles. Thanks for responding quickly, and this is the last interview of the lot.

1) Your team entered playoffs as the number 2 seed, are you feeling confident to take the whole tournament?

we have played with every team in regular season and played well so yeah i am confident in all the players to win their game and win this tour up!

yeah prep is goin good already played a rby game and big man kevin lookin at the rest of the games we are favorites to win most of those games(according to me atleast _) pretty confident we would too :P

i think with havin the lot of experienced tour players helps us a lot also active versatile subs overall good group of people oO

as it was my first tour i was scared to overpay or buy some alt so didnt really bought new guy so from next time i would be more open i wouldn't stess during auction and lock my room :eyes:

5) How many of the old gen tiers in this tour do you play? Has this been helpful to your players?

i would say i know most of the gens atleast to play most of the players already were experienced with their tiers so didnt need my help xd

hmm dont think any of my strategies were very imp for the success of my team but i think drafting group of friendly people helped a lot

helpin each other and always motivating people o_o

i enjoyed all the week tbh if i had to pick one week it would be last week after comin from 0-6 to 6-6(even tho last game wasn't played) it was fun n exciting lel

with broken leg i couldn't get out of room so searched pokemon in google as i found my broken Gameboy in the garage in which i used to play pokemon red found pokemon showdown played cc1v1 for a while always used to pick higher level mons didnt find successs went to competitive room complained not havin successs then a guy tutored me for cc1v1 joined his league in frost server and rest is history(always wanted to say this word oo)....

why would anyone leave :eyes:

piece of art omfg

if people like the interview :eyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)