EVs: 240 Spd / 252 Atk / 16 HP
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Magic Coat / Heal Bell

- Kabutops
- Kabutops
- Kabutops (does not resist, but beats with Water STAB)
- Kabutops / Moltres
- Kabutops
- Kabutops

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin / Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

- Leavanny / Moltres
- Leavanny / Moltres
- Leavanny / Moltres
- Leavanny

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Substitute
- Roost

- Kabutops (does not resist, but beats with Water STAB)
- Leavanny / Kabutops
- Leavanny
This core is really really good. I didn't realize it until I was done with making my team, but this forms a really neat WFG core. Leavanny is probably the most vital to this core - with Sticky Web support it provides, it really makes these Pokemon so fast. Kabutops spins away the Stealth Rocks that bother this core, while also beating Rock-types. Moltres is really cool because it breaks down a lot of things and it completes the Fire- part of the Water-Fire-Grass core. As you can see, they cover each other's weaknesses flawlessly, the only issue being with no Rock-type resists, however Kabutops can break them down. Leavanny is meant to be a lead, hence the Focus Sash to ensure a safe Sticky Web, however, do not let it die just yet! Switch it into a teammate so you can Sticky Web if you get Defogged, so be wary! Kabutops is meant to come in a bit later in the game after the team has been softened to set up and sweep, it's really fucking powerful, so watch out! Moltres is a wallbreaker and is meant to tear down some threats to this team, but, be sure to use Roost for Life Orb recoil relief. Overall, this core is really good and I suggest you try it out!

Good Teammates:

Exploud -

Exploud is really cool, it loves Sticky Web to outspeed the metagame and it is enjoying not being hit first, as it is not terribly bulky as is known. Boomburst also beats Ghost-types, which can walk over this core, it can beat all common ones with Specs Boomburst. After Sticky Web, with 252 SpA EVs and a Modest nature it outspeeds 252+ base 110s, while with 252+ it outspeeds other 252+ base 126s, meaning Dugtrio. Exploud is really a great Pokemon to slap on with this core and it certainly pays off.
Braviary -
Braviary is a Defog blocker and also can handle Ghost-types which, once again, give issues to this core. Braviary is also pretty slow, so it enjoys Sticky Web support to help it outspeed others. Braviary is also forms a sort of pseudo-Flying spam with Moltres, and it doesn't have to worry about hazards thanks to Kabutops, so Braviary is a pretty cool partner!
Froslass -
Froslass is a Rapid Spin blocker and can bust down Ghost-types, while not being able to directly take their hits. It also has Taunt, so it can shut down Defog as well, while having Ice STAB to beat Flying-type Defoggers. Froslass also has access to Spikes, meaning more and more hazards and can effectively Spike stack on top of Sticky web. Froslass is fast enough already and Sticky Web allows it not to be outsped by Scarfers! A really cool, sort-of Offensive / Defensive blend to this core that can be really cool!
Drapion -
Drapion is resistant to Ghost-types and can Pursuit trap them as well. Toxic Spikes is a cool addition and being a slow Pokemon slowly being worn down is not good. Drapion also can be an effective Swords Dance user, making it another great Offensive partner to break through Ghost-types. It enjoys the resistances and immunities to Ground this core provides as well. A cool partner that can be either Offensive or Defensive partner!

Of course there is many more Pokemon that fit with this core well, but go out and explore them! You don't need me to spoil all of the fun of teambuilding for you! I actually combined this core with a fellow core in this thread, Doublade / Medicham / Exploud, and it has worked really really well so far in laddering! I'll post replays tomorrow, but for now, that is all! Really loving this thread, it's nice and really aids in being creative and sharing your own creativity with the community, thanks for hosting it!

Added the new cores, along with one I have personally fell in love with:

lol@stall (Durant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

lol@CM (Meloetta) @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- U-turn

oml, this core has worked so well for me. An offensive core that just focuses on destroying each others counters and checks. The core is based off of Meloetta's late game sweeping capabilities. After scarfers and the few checks it has are gone, it's just so easy to set up the Relic Song and crush the rest of the other team. I think most of the moves are self-explanatory. I prefer U-turn over Ice Punch in case I expect a Ghost to come in on Relic Song. Durant deals with Gligar anyways.

So, there are still a number I can think of that beat Meloetta. Aromatisse, Gligar, Tangrowth, and probably other physical walls I forgot about. This is where Durant comes in and easily sets up on all of them (plz no HP Fire Tangrowth). Again most of the moves are self-explanatory. You can use Lum Berry over Life Orb to take burns if you want. Rock Slide > Superpower since we already have Melo for a fighting move.

So, there are a number of things that Durant lose too, namely Doublade, Cobalion, Registeel, and Quagsire. But guess what? They all lose to to Melo-P. That's what I love about the core: with hazards, there are few things that can easily beat this core. Albeit, this core is really, REALLY weak to the 2 dominant Fire types, Delphox and Moltres (if they are Scarfed). It is also, like most offensive cores, weak to Unburden Hitmonlee. However, something such as Scarfed Barbaracle (not a gimmick) and Slurpuff can really help the core.

Thanks for reading, and keep up the good work, guys~

passion

heavenly :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
HELLO USERS IM HERE TO SHOW U HOW A REAL THRASH AS FUCK NEGRO DOES THINGS LOL XD

i am a big fan of the core shown here:

THRASH AS FUCK (BAN ME PLEASE) (Barbaracle) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake

FOX WAIFU :3c~ (Delphox) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo​

kso basically this is p cool cause fox waifu rapes the main counter to this barbar set virizion/tangrowth and also punches holes in shit setting up late game sweeps for barbar. furthermore bar easily sets up on the main counter to delphox [slowking] of course unless it gets burned by annoying scalds. also fox can switcheroo and force shit to be locked into shit that allows bar to sweep and they overall have good type synergy etc. if you havent tried this shit i reccomend its cool/strong/fun as fuck
[peaked like #10 or somethin with a team usin this core a few weeks ago woulda got further without haxing (BAN ME PLEASE)s!!]​

Last edited:
Here's my contribution:

Chomper (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Cavalier (Escavelier) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 HP / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This one is pretty similar to Escavalier and Aromatisse core, but more oriented into offense (or maybe bulky offense). AV Escavalier can handle some special attacks that Tyrantrum can't take like Ice Beams and Flash Cannons and in exchange, Tyrantrum can easily handle Fire Types for Escavalier. the Speed investment in Escavalier is used to outspeed min speed Slowking and Aromatisse outside Trick Room, and destroy them with a super effective STAB move. Adamant Scarf Tyrantrum have enough speed to beat Timid Delphox, Timid Heliolisk, and tie with Jolly Cincino and Jolly Ambipom. If beating those two reliably are a need for your team, you can go with a Spread 88 HP / 168 Spd / 252 Atk with a Jolly Nature, to get two points above them, but if you dont worry at all about Cincino and Ambipom you can just use Adamant and invest 216 Spd to beat Heliolisk and dump the rest on HP. The only other poké that can be troublesome for Scarf Tyrantrum is Jolly Dugtrio, which need a Jolly nature and 192 Spd Evs to be outsped.

Some could be asking... "Why to use Scarf Tyrantrum instead of a Dragon Dance set?" and the principal answer is Delphox. A normal Foxy set can cause a minimum of 16,6% with Flamethrower, 20,5% with Fire Blast and 66,9% with Psychic, which means that if Delphox hits Tyrantrum in the switch in and then attacks it with Psychic, it only needs Stealth Rock to beat it in most cases. Also, it can even 2HKO Virizion without a lot of prediction:

252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 168-198 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Like many offensive cores, this one loves Hazards on the enemy side:

252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Exploud: 373-439 (90.5 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 246-291 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heliolisk: 231-272 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 296-350 (68.5 - 81%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

And some that can be stopping Tyrantrum cold like Cresselia get this:

252+ Atk Escavalier Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 282-332 (63.5 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Escavalier Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 152-180 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- 50.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Combining the minimun damage on this one, just shows how important is Stealth Rock in the field.

Of course, since you will be switching a little bit, you should be realizing by now that the help of a spinner is almost mandatory... i'm recently using this one, even if isn't part of the "principal" core:

Gyro (Hitmontop) @ Leftovers/Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch / Sucker Punch
- Protect / Close Combat
- Toxic / Stone Edge

I'm actually testing this one, but i think that is pretty bulky and can absorb Fighting attacks for the other two (even if Escavalier isn't weak to fighting, is going to receive a lot of damage against them) and can deal some damage. Using Leftovers, i guess going with Toxic and Protect for stalling and recovery can help, and for AV, Close Combat, Stone Edge and Sucker Punch are the options (it's really sad that this thing doesn't get Drain Punch... it would be soooo good). Also, this one could be complemented by using Physically defensive Aromatisse, which can also handle Fighting attacks, but sadly it just stacks a Steel Weakness in the team and make it prone to become a Cobalion Setup Fodder.

Getting back to the principal two, i guess that then can actually beat some powerhouses in the metagame, like Amoonguss, Delphox, Heliolisk, Tangrowth, Cobalion, Froslass, Slowking, Gligar, Golbat and Exploud if they have the proper support and the player have a little bit of prediction skills... Of course, they are going to struggle more or less against strong and relatively quick fighting types like Medicham (especially if it's scarfed), Unburden Hitmonlee, or Scarfed Jolly Emboar. Also, Mega Banette can burn both of them (and also a Scald burn from Gastrodon, Jellicent, Alomomola and Slowking) relatively easy with Prankster Will O Wisp, but none of them can switch in directly fearing a Knock Off or Strong Jaw-Crunch with the exception of Alomomola (who will clearly dislike not having leftovers recovery)...

Right now i'm pretty sleepy so, i don't know if i'm missing a hard counter or check for this two pokés, but i guess that you guys can help with that, right?

See ya!

Edit:
HELLO USERS IM HERE TO SHOW U HOW A REAL THRASH AS FUCK NEGRO DOES THINGS LOL XD

i am a big fan of the core shown here:

THRASH AS FUCK (BAN ME PLEASE) (Barbaracle) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake

FOX WAIFU :3c~ (Delphox) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo​

kso basically this is p cool cause fox waifu rapes the main counter to this barbar set virizion/tangrowth and also punches holes in shit setting up late game sweeps for barbar. furthermore bar easily sets up on the main counter to delphox [slowking] of course unless it gets burned by annoying scalds. also fox can switcheroo and force shit to be locked into shit that allows bar to sweep and they overall have good type synergy etc. if you havent tried this shit i reccomend its cool/strong/fun as fuck
[peaked like #10 or somethin with a team usin this core a few weeks ago woulda got further without haxing (BAN ME PLEASE)s!!]

Sadly, Virizion can beat this, since it does outspeed Delphox and then:

252 Atk Virizion Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Delphox: 224-264 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Which is a clean OHKO with Stealth Rock... so, i would use Choice Scarf instead to outspeed Virizion and blast it with Psyshock

252 SpA Delphox Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 314-372 (96.9 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Which is also a clean OHKO with just Stealth Rock, while also possibly disrupting some defensive pokés like Amoonguss, Tangrowth, Slowking, Cofagrigus and Gastrodon tricking the choice scarf to them (Casually many of them can be also using Specs in their favor).

Last edited:

ss234

bop.

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Flamethrower

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off

Venomoth @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost
- Sleep Powder

This is a rather effective core that takes advantage of zoroark's ability to remove checks and counters and allow other very dangerous pokes to sweep, in the case venomoth and to an extent hitmonlee. The key thing is to use lee to get rid of hazards(using it in combination with taunters and mons that really punish hazard setting in general works well here). This then allows zoroark to come in as moth, and then when things like esca / rhyperior come in you can kill them with flamethrower or grass knot so that they can no longer deal with moth. It also weakens things like registeel and emboar, again to the point where they can't deal with moth. Low kick can be used here for a much stronger hit against registeel, but its not necessary. Alternatively, zoroark can be disguised as lee to allow easy hazard removal for lee-again, this aids a venomoth sweep as without rocks up moth is easier to set-up. Hitmonlee can also be extremely dangerous vs. slower teams due to reckless hjk, but often they carry aromatisse which kills both so its probably better to just use zoroark to allow easier hazard removal. Zoroark and lee also provide strong priority in the form of sucker punch and mach punch, allowing you to check dangerous threats such as scarf delphox and sharpedo. Generally its a strong core because venomoth already wrecks teams and with support from lee and zoroark its difficult to stop it from sweeping you(unless you use overlord fletchinder, obviously).

Gonna tag atomicllamas because I know he uses zoroark a lot and will prolly have something to add as well.

Offensive Core

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball / Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Zoroark @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot​

Another core featuring Zoroark. This core uses Froslass's ability to Spike stack and Zoroarks ability to force switches. Frosslass can start game 5-5 with two layers of spikes, which is going deal a good amount of damage whenever a grounded Pokemon switches in. By setting your team up in team preview that Zoroark will Transform into your win condition you can lure in the opponents checks which will be not only worn down by Spikes but also punished a STAB Knock Off. Even if this doesn't KO the Pokemon it will probably wear down the Pokemon to the point that they are no longer a problem or won't be after another switch into Spikes. This core works best with set up sweepers like Verizion and Venomoth. I opt to run max Special Attack rather than HP on Froslass, as Froslass isn't supposed to be surviving hits and even with max HP more often than not you will be brought down to your Focus Sash, as well as Froslass's Special Attack being so mediocre you need to invest in it for it to actually dent opposing Pokemon. Although that is not Froslass's purpose it may as well be able to hit with a little more power.

A core I've been utilizing thanks to Discussion Week 1:

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 64 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Baton Pass

Zoroark @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- Grass Knot
- Flamethrower

This core causes some pretty serious mindgames. A lot of people like leading with Combusken to get Speed passed early, so most people lead with a check or counter. That's where Zoroark comes in. Zoroark efficiently eliminates anything that checks Combusken or anything it could pass to. Rhypherior, Cofagrigus, Alomomola, all fall to Zoroark. (Yes i know full special Zoro is kinda dumb but its more of a function thing in this core)

Also Zoroark is in like every offensive core apparently lol

Offensive Core

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Speed
Modest nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Surf

Delphox @ Choice Specs
Timid nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot / Shadow Ball
- Switcheroo

This core can easily put direct pressure on the opposing team through sheer power. STAB Specs boosted Boomburst hurts almost everything. Steels are the most relevant resist, which Delphox roasts with STAB Specs Fire Blast. These two shred through opposing teams and can potentially open the gap for a sweep later or easy late game cleaning. Delphox and Exploud also have decent synergy. Exploud can come in on Ghost attacks targeted at Delphox and hit the ghosts with Boomburst due to Scrappy. Delphox isn't the bulkiest of mons, but it can take Fighting attacks aimed at Exploud and threaten with Psyshock. On Exploud, I personally prefer using Surf over Ice Beam due to reliably smashing Rhyperior, who would otherwise be a pain for Delphox. Again, this core is meant to straight rip through your opponent with the use of heavy damaging mons and coverage moves and these two compliment each other really well. Exploud and Delphox are two of the best Specs users in RU right now and together power through opposing mons and quickly wear down the enemy team.

Offensive Core

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Modest nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Surf

Delphox @ Choice Specs
Timid nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot / Shadow Ball
- Switcheroo

This core can easily put direct pressure on the opposing team through sheer power. STAB Specs boosted Boomburst hurts almost everything. Steels are the most relevant resist, which Delphox roasts with STAB Specs Fire Blast. These two shred through opposing teams and can potentially open the gap for a sweep later or easy late game cleaning. Delphox and Exploud also have decent synergy. Exploud can come in on Gh, bst attacks targeted at Delphox and hit the ghosts with Boomburst due to Scrappy. Delphox isn't the bulkiest of mons, but it can take Fighting attacks aimed at Exploud and threaten with Psyshock. On Exploud, I personally prefer using Surf over Ice Beam due to reliably smashing Rhyperior, who would otherwise be a pain for Delphox. Again, this core is meant to straight rip through your opponent with the use of heavy damaging mons and coverage moves and these two compliment each other really well. Exploud and Delphox are two of the best Specs users in RU right now and together power through opposing mons and quickly wear down the enemy team.
252 SpA Choice Specs Delphox Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 861-1014 (198.3 - 233.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Delphox Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 576-678 (132.7 - 156.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Delphox Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 405-477 (93.3 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

My dear friend, there are only 2 cases where delphox, locked into grass knot will get beaten by rhyperior 1v1:
252 SpA Delphox Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 270-321 (72.7 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And
Fire blast/psyshock of course.
So there is no reason to run a slash on ice beam and surf. You should slash ice beam on focus blast since fire blast and surf smashes eveything that the inaccurate move can hit that resists STABed WMD

Rhyperior stands no chance against either of them, not when even exploud outspeeds rhyperior

Not quite sure how to classify this core. It's not really an offensive core, but it fits well on offensive teams. The concept behind it is nothing new, it's essentially the RU version of the popular deosharp (+slash) core from OU.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

One thing I neglected to mention about Doublade in my previous core was just how freaking GOOD it is at spinblocking. While other spinblockers like Froslass and Mismagius are maimed by knock off and strong physical attacks if their switch-in is predicted, Doublade takes hits with aplomb and strikes back with its incredibly convenient ghost/steel/fighting coverage. Doublade eats up earthquakes, knock offs and blaze kicks like no other spinblocker, and will often get the kill or lower the spinner to a range where they are easily revenged.

Here are a few calcs to show how Doublade fares against most of the spinners in RU:
Hitmonlee
252+ Atk Hitmonlee Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 104-124 (32.2 - 38.5%) -- 97.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Hitmonlee Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Doublade: 136-162 (42.2 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO (after eviolite is knocked off)

252+ Atk Hitmonlee Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Doublade: 160-190 (49.6 - 59%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO (after eviolite is knocked off)

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hitmonlee: 211-250 (87.1 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Hitmontop
252+ Atk Hitmontop Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 90-108 (27.9 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kabutops
252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 133-156 (41.3 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kabutops: 184-218 (70.2 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Cryogonal
252+ SpA Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 76-90 (23.6 - 27.9%) -- 85.4% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 626-740 (181.9 - 215.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Avalugg
252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 116-140 (29.4 - 35.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 78-94 (24.2 - 29.1%) -- 99.5% chance to 4HKO (Easy swords dance bait no matter what it carries)

Armaldo
252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Armaldo: 254-302 (71.7 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Armaldo Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 110-130 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Even if your opponent predicts Doublade coming in and hits it super-effectively, Doublade still has a very good chance of winning out or at least preventing the spin. The only three spinners Doublade can't beat 1-on-1 are Claydol (only if it has earth power), Torkoal and Sandslash, who are already uncommon in RU and not very good at their jobs.

Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- U-turn

The number one defiant abuser in the tier, Braviary makes your opponent think twice about clicking defog while it's still alive and healthy. Scarf is the preferred item to patch up Braviary's middling speed and make up for the loss of sticky web if it is present on the team. Aerodactyl's departure from the tier means that scarf sets now outspeed everything unboosted with an adamant nature. This makes it a more appealing choice than Primeape for the role of defiant abuser, as Primes doesn't hit nearly as hard in exchange for only 15 more speed. Scarf Braviary is also an effective late-game cleaner once the opposing team has been worn down by the hazards it and Doublade keep around.

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 220 HP / 36 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen/Heal Bell
- Reflect/Magic Coat
- Sticky Web
- X-Scissor

Leavanny isn't the only thing you can put in this slot. Any capable hazard setter like Froslass, Rhyperior or Shuckle can easily take its place in the core. Leavanny's speed, measurable attack stat and access to sticky web plus screens are why I chose it for this example, as these are all things an offensive team reliant on hazards can appreciate.

Leavanny plays much like Deoxys-S in OU: come out early, set webs and possibly screens if the situation permits, die so a teammate can come in safely and start punching holes. Swarm lets you fire off a boosted X-scissor before you die, and the combination of screens plus your sash makes it easy to get into swarm range. Leavanny is also good at taking weaker knock offs from the likes of Tangrowth or Eelektross, both of which can give Doublade a hard time. Leavanny can run heal bell to support its team or magic coat to bounce back taunt and hazards, which gives it a better matchup against opposing leads.

Defensive Core

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 2552 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Psyshic

Everyone knows Cresselia has by far some of the bulkiest stats in the tier. It is really difficult to get through without a super-effective move or Toxic. Try to switch Cress in to paralysis or burn to avoid being Toxic-ed later. Playing it is simple, just Calm Mind when you can, use Toxic to threaten other walls, use Moonlight to stay alive after coming in on powerful attacks. Walled 100% by Drapion and Skuntank, and loses to some other common things like Escavalier and Reuniclus, but can generally beat all but maybe two of any team's Pokemon one on one. Psyshock is an option to beat other CM users, but it can keep Cress from hitting things like Rhyperior fairly hard on the switch. The EVs let it take two hits from things like Scarf Zoroark Dark Pulse, Specs Exploud Boomburst, and Delphox, so it can switch into almost any special attacker at least once.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will O Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split

The physical side of the main part of the core. Just as Cresselia is built for insane special bulk, Cofagrigus has almost unbreakable physical bulk. The single move that threatens it the most is Knock Off, and even that usually cannot 2HKO after the power loss on the second turn. Pain Split keeps Cofagrigus alive well because it can use it when something switches out fearing Wisp or after barely surviving some attack. Cofagrigus can switch in to all kinds of stuff and even beat some special-based Pokemon if it gets Calm Mind in on the switch. Generally just a really solid Pokemon that spreads burn around and is versatile enough to both wall physical sweepers and threaten special attackers as well.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

This is really not a defensive Pokemon, but its physical defense, Justified, and fighting typing make it really good for switching into Knock Off, by far the most common move that threatens both Cofagrigus and Cresselia. Their only common weaknesses are Ghost and Dark, and Cobalion comes in on most Dark attacks easily. There aren't that many really powerful ghost attacks in the tier to worry about. The emphasis on Speed is for Taunt and because a Swords Dance or two provides plenty of power. Cobalion is also great for leading against Smeargle and some other setup Pokes - watch out for Froslass's faster Taunt. Cobalion is a tough Pokemon to play against because it is unpredictable, serving as both a pivot and a potential sweeper (especially later in the game).

One notable weakness is Zoroark with Dark Pulse and Flamethrower. Generally in my experience the core plays very well - Cofagrigus and Cress are two of the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier who happen to cover opposite sides of the spectrum, and Cobalion is a good counter to their only common shared weakness. Many times Cofagrigus or Cresselia will be weak to a STAB attack and still survive two hits of it.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gonna post a core I've been using for a while now, even have it on my RMT that can be found on my sig (#shamelessselfpromotion)

+

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SAtk / 192 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

This is a stallbreaking core that also does very well against offense. What this does is let Shiftry handle threats that Moltres can't break through or outspeed, most notably Slowking and Heliolisk. AV Slowking is the only Pokemon in RU that puts a hard stop to Slowking, and Shiftry fixes that with a strong, STAB Knock Off and resistance to Scald + immunity to Psyshock. Sucker Punch from this Shiftry also OHKOs 0/4 Heliolisk, so theres that.

Shiftry also makes cores that Moltres breaks easier to break thanks to Knock Off, such as Amoonguss + Mola, Mola + Drudd, AmooKing etc. On top of that it also has Defog to support Moltres.

EVs on Shiftry outspeed Slurpuff before Unburden.

Diamonds (Carbink) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Reflect

Tiffany's (Froslass) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Spd / 44 Def
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball

Here an offensive hazards core spikestackin, Carbink guarantee Stealth Rock because Sturdy + Mental Herb (similar like Shuckle) but actually with a better type and Moonblast, paired with bulky Frosslas to setupp spikes easier because the extra bulk + leftovers + pain split; still can work like a "suicide lead" depending on the opponent.

Idk if I'm missing something here, but is there any particular reason one would run Carbink over Shuckle? Reflect is nice, but I don't think it can really compare to Sticky Web. It also has other comparable support options like Encore, Infestation + Pursuit user to deal with Xatu, and Knock Off. Moonblast is also really weak, it has only like a 50% chance to 2hko hitmonlee. I know that bulky froslass was good in last generations, but i think the pure suicide one finds it easier to guarantee hazards with Focus Sash, has greater Speed to avoid Durant/Cobalion, and tbh greater utility with Destiny Bond than Pain Split. That Froslass's "extra bulk" is also really just 11 Defense points, doesn't seem enough to make much of a difference. Also why is Shadow Ball chosen over Ice Beam, when Ice Beam is better against Defog users?

Not at all saying this core isn't good as I haven't tried it, but I was a bit surprised by it.

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love

Vivillanturn Offensive Core

SHE GON SHAKE IT (Vivillon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute

Like A Red Nose (Lanturn) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

It seems odd that a core of two NU pokemon would work well in RU, but it works surprisingly well. First off, the specs lanturn is an interesting set, and it efficiently lures in (mainly) pokemon like the omnipresent amoonguss, abomasnow and to an extent Tangrowth, and you hit (at least tangrowth anyways) hard with a volt switch and go out into Vivillon who instantly threatens with hurricane. Vivillon is one of, if not the most threatening QD Sweepers in the tier right now, and once you look past it's crappy base stats, you'll find a beast of a late-game sweeper/early game wallbreaker that cannot be stopped once it starts snowballing out of control. Lanturn-s EVs are to outspeed Gligars that think they can possibly take a scald and get their rocks up, as rocks are detrimental to this core. The main draw of this core is the slow volt switch that let's you usually bring in this deadly sweeper for free.

Mons you should be using along with this core- Either a Spinner or a fire-type are almost mandatory for this core to work, as this core has trouble with Steel-types like registeel, and Vivillon gets a whopping 49% taken off by SR, so spinners like kabutops, hitmons or if you even wanna go there, claydol because it has OK type synergy are very beneficial to this core.

Also u get like +5000 swag points from me so who wouldn't want those right?

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
Defensive Core

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Defog

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Seed Bomb

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Earthquake / Protect

This defensive core looks very bizarre, but it works really well! Pelipper and Ferroseed have excellent type synergy with each other, resisting almost every type. Regirock finishes the core off, because the former two have a lot of trouble against Pokemon such as Moltres. In addition, Regirock is used over Rhyperior due to it's superior special bulk. The core can set their own hazards, but Pelipper has Defog. That's because defensive teams have trouble adding a spinner, and if they do, it's very hard to use Rapid Spin against many offensive teams (due to spin blocking and stuff). Teammates such as Speically Defensive Aromatisse and other Pokemon that can function as a cleric make great partners, making the core even harder to break.

Last edited:
Defensive Core

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Defog

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Seed Bomb

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Earthquake / Protect

This defensive core looks very bizarre, but it works really well. Pelipper and Ferroseed have excellent type synergy with each other, resisting almost every type. Regirock finishes the core off, because the former two have a lot of trouble against Pokemon such as Moltres. The core can set their own hazards, but Pelipper has Defog. That's because defensive teams have trouble adding a spinner, and if they do, it's very hard to use Rapid Spin against many offensive teams (due to spin blocking and stuff). Teammates such as Speically Defensive Aromatisse and other Pokemon that can function as a cleric make great partners, making the core even harder to break.
I'm just wondering why you decided to run Regirock over Rhyperior, which is often considered better due to Solid Rock, EQ STAB, and hits much much harder in general. If you can edit in a reason/replace Regi with Rhyp, I'll add it

Also added Glass's core ^_^

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave/Taunt/Stealth Rock/Roar

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Snore
- Rest
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind/Protect
- Moonblast/Draining Kiss
- Wish

An excellent defensive core that does me wonders. This core can wall pretty much anything in the tier. The core revolves around Meloetta, which can break almost any wall, and sweep if all physical threats are eliminated.
With 404 Hp and 390 Sp.Def, Meloetta can take any attack from special sweepers (3HKO from life-orb Zoroark's Dark Pulse). Most are 4HKO, giving Melloetta time to set up with charge beam (which is 100% Sp.Atk raise due to serene grace), rest away the damage taken, and wreck with Snore or Psychock.
When facing a wall, Melloetta easily breaks it. Rest cures any annoying status, and while sleeping, Meloetta takes advantage of it's high speed base (compared to other walls in the tier) and Snore-flinches (60% with Serene Grace) enemy mons. Calm Mind users are still walled by Meloetta's massive Sp.Def, while Psyshock ignore theirs'.

Cobalion pairs wonderfully with Meloetta, easily taking physical blows that would've harmed it, especially dark and bug types.
It also resists/immune to Aromatisse's weaknesses.
Physical dark attacks are common in the tier (Knock-Offs) and Cobalion takes them like a beast, while also raising it's own attack with Justified. Iron Head and Sacred Sword offer great coverage, and gives a chance to flinch and ignore the occasional Def raises. Volt switch offers extra damage or the chance to take a hit before switching out, granting you the momentum.
The last move slot is free. I personally like to go with rocks (as it hurts annoying fire types), but any of the other options would work well.

Finally, Aromatisse is the perfect support mon for the pair.
It ressist Meloetta's only two weaknesses and Cobalion fighting weakness. Aromatherapy is always nice, but paired with Meloetta's rest, it's amazing.
With 406 Hp, Wish can really fix up your team. Calm mind is great for setting up against walls and special sweepers, while Protect pairs nicely with Wish.
As for the attacking move, both option are good. I personaly like the powerful Moonblast, but Draining Kiss can save you wishing turns.

M'kay Molk said I could Necrobump this thread

Balanced Core

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flash Cannon

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock / U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost

Okay so this core revolves around Swellow being awesome and powerful and cleaning Late-Game.

A Guts-boosted Facade does serious damage to just about every fast offensive mon in history, with the notable exeptions being Durant and Cobalion. However as mentioned before, it cannot stand against against Steel and Rock Types. Hence the two other members of the team, Magneton and Gligar.

Magneton covers the glaring weakness to Ice the other 2 members have, and beats stuff like Gastrodon, Alomomola, Slowking, Rhyperior, etc. quite comfortably, especially with Eviolite equipped. You may wonder why no Choice Specs or Scarf, but this set's purpose is to Pivot rather than Sweep or Wallbreak. You see, most of Magnetons Checks and Counters (which are very few actually) get maimed by Swellow, such as Hitmonchan, Virizion, etc. VoltSwitch on the predicted switch and get into Swellow to activate the Orb. It is also merely 2HKO'd by Exploud which is awesome if you need a last-ditch save

Lastly, there is Gligar. Gligar has the crucial Defog Support, as Swellow really dislikes Stealth Rocks and Magneton doesn't like Spikes. besides providing Hazard Control, it is there to check and counter stuff like Durant, Cobalion and some others. If you already have Stealth Rock on a different members, U-turn can be used to, again, pivot into Swellow or Magneton.

This core struggles against Pokemon that learn both Ice and Fighting/Ground moves however, so something to keep those in check is really useful

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core:

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Zoroark @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spa / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Like most other cores involving Zoroark, this core centers around luring in the checks and counters of a sweeper with a Zoroark tailored to take them out, except in this case its exceptionally effective. Thinking about this for a bit, what Pokemon check and counter Cobalion and stop it from sweeping? The first Pokemon that come to mind usually include Gligar, Slowking, Jellicent, Doublade, and hell even Reuniclus to an extent. What do all of these Pokemon (except Gligar, getting to that) have in common? They're all weak to Dark-type moves, making it quite easy for Zoroark to lure in and eliminate them simply by spamming Knock Off, making Cobalion that much more threatening later on in the game. As for Gligar, you might've noticed that this Zoroark set has Hidden Power Ice on it, well that's specifically for luring in and eliminating Gligar so Cobalion can sweep! Alternatively, you could run Swords Dance over Flamethrower if you want to be able to sweep with Zoroark as well, as well as the fact that because both Cobalion and Zoroark are able to learn Swords Dance the opponent's still never really sure whether its Zoroark or Cobalion even after the move has been used, adding another level to the Zoroark/Cobalion mindgame. Just keep in mind that Zoroark will have to deal with pretty much mono dark coverage if it does so.

Because of Cobalion's quadruple resistance to Stealth Rock compared to Zoroark's neutrality, this core usually works out best either used early game, with hazard control from a Rapid Spin or Defog user, or both, so keep that in mind when teambuilding/playing with this core! Personally i've had a lot of fun using this core with another balanced core of U-turn Gligar and Assault Vest Slowking, both of which also work well as Zoroark partners and help cover this core a bit on the defensive side. Just make sure you have a way to deal with Virizion!

Lastly, credit to New Breed for introducing me to this cool core :)

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, i know this thread's been dead for a while but i'd like to share a core w/ everyone. Hopefully revive the thread and stuff too

Offensive Core:

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Sucker Punch

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

This core revolves around luring in one of the biggest roadblocks for both Yanmega and Meloetta in the whole tier: Registeel so the user can trap and eliminate it with Dugtrio and sweep the opposing team with one of the two unimpeded, and it works pretty damn well for the most part. Choice Specs Meloetta is a deadly wallbreaker between its raw power, decently powerful STAB moves, and perfect neutral coverage when it comes to everything relevant in the tier, meaning that it can pressure teams to go directly to Registeel or sacrifice a Pokemon quite easily: this is where U-turn comes in. As the opponent switches to Registeel, a user of this core can simply U-turn out with Meloetta and go directly to Dugtrio, trapping and eliminating it as simple as that. From there, depending on what playstyle the user of this core is facing, they can either demolish a defensive team with Meloetta's Choice Specs Hyper Voices and Psychics, or beat down a more offensive team with Speed Boost Yanmega's cleaning ability, running through the rest of the team while Speed Boost makes it almost impossible to revenge kill. Sadly, this same strategy doesn't work for Doublade because of its secondary Ghost-type, but that's no issue for this particular core: Meloetta is an excellent offensive check to Doublade thanks to its *decent* physical bulk to take Iron Head with and immunity to Doublade's Ghost-type moves.

Because of Yanmega's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Rapid Spin/Defog support is pretty much a given as a teammate to this core. One of the best is Hitmonlee, considering that it forms a great wallbreaking core with Meloetta outside of simply removing entry hazards for Yanmega. Other offensive options here include Kabutops and, Shiftry. On the flip side of hazards, Stealth Rock+Spikes works well with pretty much any offensive core, and this one is no exception, as the Stealth Rock and Spikes make Yanmega even more deadly. Omastar, Qwilfish, Druddigon, Accelgor, and Rhyperior are good options for setting up hazards on more offensively leaning teams that this core would be found on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)