Resource ru creative / underrated sets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
not really a new project or anything, but i wanted to revamp this a little, spark up some news ideas and maybe convince a few people to post up sets they have been seeing some success in recent games. i'll be sure to be throwing a few sets of my own up in due time, but i wanted to set this up for the time being, maybe get some input from slammen past. i'll steal trc's op bits for reference, since i liked them, so thanks dood.

Here are some guidelines:
What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in RU, for the sake of using it in RU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
Have fun!
be sure to give a proper description of the set and what it stands to accomplish, and feel free to support these with calcs, replays, and so forth if you feel so inclined. i'll be archiving the sets i feel aptly fit the categories, and i know you wanna look fly on the smogon dot com.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Shiftry @ Expert Belt
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 212 Atk / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Shiftry is one of the most underrated mon in RU right now. It has a lot of power and Knock Off+Sucker Punch is really nice to spam. Leaf Storm is the secondary STAB which has a lot of power and can hit with a decent amount of power physical walls, mostly Alomomola. The element of surprise in this set is Hurricane. Hurricane is a really nice move to have on Shiftry. It can lure Virizion, AV Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Emboar and some other fighting mons that switch on a Knock Off. I'm running Expert Belt because I'm not a huge fan of the LO recoil on something that is meant to take scalds. 44 evs in special attack with a mild nature ensures the OHKO on Virizion with Hurricane, preventing him to go to +2 if SD, although it's kinda risky because CC is an easy OHKO on Shiftry.

Some calcs:

• 44+ SpA Expert Belt Shiftry Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 326-384 (100.6 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Hurricane is a clean OHKO

Offensive
  • 44+ SpA Expert Belt Shiftry Hurricane vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 348-410 (93 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Hurricane is a clean OHKO with rocks or some prior damage.
AV
  • 44+ SpA Expert Belt Shiftry Hurricane vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 230-274 (61.4 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 212 Atk Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 106-126 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 97.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
AV Tangro is 2HKOed by Hurricane, and it can't switch on Knock Off even if it gets 2 low roll (28.3+61.4+12=101.7)
Defensive
  • 44+ SpA Expert Belt Shiftry Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tangrowth: 341-403 (84.6 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Defensive Tangro has a low chance to survive an Hurricane

• 44+ SpA Expert Belt Shiftry Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Amoonguss: 216-254 (50 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
  • 212 Atk Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 127-151 (29.3 - 34.9%) -- 10.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Hurricane is a clean 2HKO with rocks, and can switch on Knock Off only if it gets some low rolls.

• 44+ SpA Expert Belt Shiftry Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Emboar: 286-336 (79.2 - 93%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 212 Atk Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Emboar: 75-88 (20.7 - 24.3%) -- 85.7% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 212 Atk Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Emboar: 90-107 (24.9 - 29.6%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Hurricane+Sucker Punch kills it with ease, and it can't switch on Knock Off because it would lose the scarf and be Hurricane food

I will try to add some replays as soon as possible

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
72 special attack investment with a LO achieve pretty much the same benchmarks with some extra damage and it appreciates the extra power life orb provides over expert belt which doesnt come into play all the time sadly.

I use a set like 244 atk / 72 spA / 192 speed lonely nature since I feel there is not much of a need to run max speed on it since there arent many 80 base speed mons that it can beat comfortably and sucker punch remedy the lack of speed anyways. The 192 speed outspeed adamant tyrantrum and stuff that creep adamant tyrantrum, 72 spA with a life orb cleaning OHKO virizion (100.3%), rest in attack for maximum damage output as possible.

Really great set, trying that myself can say that it is really fun and how crazy strong flying coverage can be! Amazing set! Shiftry is a pretty cool mon tbh.

Will post some stuff myself later on.

ok, i'll post at least a couple things myself. will save some for a lil bit tho :p

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 Atk / 148 SpA / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

this set strives to overcome two of my bigger gripes with glalie: the ease with which offense or bulky offense suppress glalie via durant or escavalier, and the inability to push through alomomola consistently without becoming too prediction-heavy of a tool. i know that i personally have exhibited a habit of utilizing durant to restrict just how much leeway glalie can get in a game, and have seen the same from a lot of offense (which is fair, given the pool of alternative offensive glalie checks), and this exploits this particular structure to death, while validating a stronger freeze dry in turn, making hitting almomola much more straightforward (120 hp / 136 def+ / 252 spd takes 50% min, while 4 spa variants absolutely cannot 2hko that same alomomola w/o prior damage). i have never been absolutely in love w/ice shard as a move, given it really just boils down to rk'ing virizion (who is very rarely a must-cover for offense), avoiding a tie w/flygon, and picking off something at less than 20% or something to that effect, so i found it mildly forgo-able here. the given spread will also 2hko av escavalier @ a 95% rate, in addition to dealing a minimum of 95% to the standard qwilfish (contrasted to the standard set's 40-50% w/eq), which all find moderate use.

this set has been utilized to decent success in the ongoing slam thus far via a few teams i ended up passing around, including the very first game of the open, wherein its ability to keep pokemon alomomola and escavalier suppressed (including a nice use of hypnosis delphox haha) allowed user: luigi to win handily. another example that i unfortunately have only caught word of second-hand (so if you could fish up that replay, major cool points to whomever :p), was during the galbia v. ajna series, wherein [allegedly] galbia's ability to catch durant w/hp fire on the switch resulted in a major momentum switch that allowed him to take the game.

broadly speaking, this set can be played in various fashions. i have found that it can be quite proficient in setting pokemon like meloetta to go ham on balance, or at least bulkier offense, as that ability to draw in the steel / bug's just goes miles here. it can also pair off rather nicely w/fighters, both in applying that constant pressure on their qwilfish, even momo if the situation mandates, or (mostly in the case of virizion) popping off durant to set up its partner for the bulky offense mu. spikes aren't the most mandatory thing in the world, and if anything this set de-emphasizes the utility presented by qwilfish support, but at the same time, qwil can still be a useful-ass fallback should you require it.

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 136 Def / 168 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power [Ice]

i have a deep-seated dislike for the "standard" accelgor lead. i believe profoundly that is a terrible, terrible set. why? it has a bad lead match-up v.almost everything on offense, and final gambitting to bring their smeargle / qwilfish / archeops down to their sash as they get the layer they want, lix just heavy slams to bring it down to sash then sr's w/o worry or goes to the defogger if they're sweating spikes that badly. what's more, it is a set that never has mid-game value, which i think is absolutely abhorrent for a spiker on offense in this tier. it's not like we have something like froslass that can disrupt, self-spinblock, force switches, and just rock everything, so if you're going to focus a pokemon on offense exclusively for spiking (thereby restricting yourself to a dedicated sr mon and having only four 'mons to hone an offensive 'goal' for the team), then that pokemon sure as hell better have some ulterior value. the "standard" lead accelgor has never once done that for me, so i decided to mess w/alternatives.

accelgor is still a pokemon that is plenty fast and acceptable for mid-game play, so i figured i would diversify it as such. this set has the capacity to play as a typical offensive set if need be, albeit weaker due to the use of sash. as for its lead match-up itself, it has a much more active function than the buzz only variant; you can threaten lix with the 2hko outright, prevent free defogs from all but golbat given proper coverage, and even keep hitmontop from clicking rapid spin a bunch and ensuring spikes don't go down. the given def investment is actually really cool, not only buffing this out a ton v.priority if you choose to conserve it midgame (lo lee's sucker punch never ko's after sr, where it always would w/o it), but also helps v.both defensive gonner (who cannot 3hko w/eq) and top (who, in throwing cc, loses 1v1 w/o tox). it can even hilariously mess w/gurdurr, who cannot ko w/2 knocks + mach punch due to sticky hold, which can be dope given how much of a pain that 'mon can be to offense (trust me, it is great haha).

the one thing that i sorta danced around here, which i will address now, is that accelgor does concede layers to opposing spikes lead, regardless of these techs. to this end, it is worth some mild consideration to be pairing with something that can restrict these pokemon, like a faster lum berry 'mon (virizion stuffs smeargle, but qwilfish can get difficult w/o something mediocre, like lum meloetta), or even a spinner like kabutops in the back to lessen the impact of this issue. as for further partners, it all becomes rather broad, as is often the case w/spike-stack offense, so it's probs best that you just try it for yourself, huh?

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 16 HP / 136 Atk / 240 SpA / 116 Spe
Mild / Rash Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast / Earthquake / Hidden Power [Fire]

life orb mixed abomasnow is actually a pretty neat mon, sharing similar power to its mega counterpart, but comes with more speed and being able to be paired with other mega like megalix and megarupt. yeah you give up a lot of bulk, but regular snowman is still cool(heh) in that it can break most walls with its super strong stab + coverage to hit steels. it can also form a nice wallbreaker core with megarupt, as abomasnow can check ground and water types that trouble it, while rupt checks most fires and steels that trouble abomasnow. evs are to 100% ohko dugtrio with ice shard to avoid being revenged by cb stone edge, to outspeed defensive seismitoad, and 100% ohko amoongus with blizzard so you can avoid any sludge bomb or hp fire crap, and the rest is dumped into hp. so yea, if you wanna use snow but already have a mega on your team, give this set a shot, its prett cool :D

also use 8 HP / 136 Atk / 244 SpA / 124 Spe if hp fire, achieves the same kos and outspeeding the same things as above.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 216 Atk / 184 Def / 104 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam / Stone Edge
- Stone Edge / Bullet Punch

252 Atk Mega Glalie Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 184 Def Hariyama: 120-142 (27.9 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Assault Vest Thick Fat Hariyama: 90-107 (20.9 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 121-142 (28.2 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 184 Def Hariyama: 161-190 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
176+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 187-222 (43.5 - 51.7%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Scrafty High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 184 Def Hariyama: 288-340 (67.1 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

216+ Atk Hariyama Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 236-278 (58.1 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I can't remember where or when, but I'm pretty sure Hariyama was mentioned at one point or another ever since Houndoom's inception into the tier. Fire- and Ice-types, namely Mega Glalie, Houndoom, Sneasel, Mega Camerupt, and now Mega Abomasnow, have always been some of the most fearsome balance breakers in the tier, and Hariyama's ability to check / counter them without losing offensive momentum is pretty impressive. This offensive momentum allows Yama to soft check other threats as well, such as Scarf Tyrantrum, (non-Life Orb) Dragon Dance Scrafty, Life Orb special Flygon, and various Electric-types. For such a fat mon, it's not the easiest thing to switch into either, so it can be a solid backbone for teams that want to keep the pressure on.

On the other hand, Hariyama has the option to forgo Assault Vest in this meta in favor of Leftovers and can use moves such as Toxic, though your ability to check special attackers is noticeably diminished (4HKOes turn into 3HKOes, 5HKOes turn into 4HKOes) and Yama doesn't become significantly more capable at checking physical attackers, so this doesn't seem a worthy tradeoff.

Last edited:
should update this, huh. cool stuff bros, diggin it. i've actually been meaning to get back into using hariyama (i think i'm the one that mentioned yama seriously at that time), and the complex ev'ing looks dope. personally, i've never been really big on bp, since practically i only see it rk'ing sneasel and glalie (the latter of which i seeing dropping in use a bit, though i still think it has a sustaining niche), but i will respect your decision haha.

in regards to lo aboma, i'm going to hold back on adding to the op, simply for the reason that (while i consider it to be a worthwhile set), i would like the metagame to even out a smidge so that we can properly gauge what abomasnow sets are "creative / underrated". keep it coming dudes, i've been digging the high-quality input that's been garnered thus far

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

Colbur Berry, the only way to ensure your Psychic-type resists Fight. But for serious, I've been trying this set and it's just amazing because you'll ALWAYS (or 99% of the time) ensure a kill against something trying to Knock Off you, or just give the middle finger to Pursuiters. I lost the count of the amount of times I KO'd a Houndoom, Hitmonlee, Sneasel and the such after tanking a "super effective" Dark STAB. And the usefulness doesn't stop there: with this set, you can very well fake AV, and that's where the dual status shine. TWave allows you to stop any offensive sweeper that may try some shenanigans, like Gallade (if you still have Colbur), Meloetta, Sigilyph, Delphox (if it has already boosted), and such. Meanwhile, Toxic is for the bulky sweepers that again may try to setup on you thinking you're AV, with the most common target being CM Slowking, or defensive mons that would want to switch on King, like Alomomola and Jellicent. In resume, that's the most mexican Slowking you'll ever run (unless you really wanna try TW + Dual Headbutt!).
EDIT
Forgot to put replays, but I'll be laddering tomorrow so I'll edit it later with a couple ones.

I'M BRINGING IT BACK

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Scald
- Magic Coat

Alomomola has a great stalling ability, and Magic Coat can further prolong that. Within a good core, you have freedom to not be pressured to Protect to get more health or to stall out for Toxic damage. So naturally you can switch out Protect for Magic Coat. It is a very cool option to disrupt Qwilfish, Drapion, Bronzong, and other status/hazard users. While you might say that Qwilfish and Bronzong can just stall because they are not effected by statuses thrown on them, it creates a mindgame if you spam the move enough. It forces the player to either make a bad decision by going for a status move, or for an attacking one. It gives you more freedom to keep spamming the move, go for a Scald Burn, or go into a switch and force them into a switch or forced to take a trade of some sort. Since I have talked about this before, i'll offer something else I've been using.

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge / Poison Jab

People tend to forget that Lee can still be plenty powerful with a Scarf. It is very useful for getting surprise kills early on against attackers that usually stay in on Lee like Jolteon or Flygon. It is also an effective revenge killer when it needs to thanks to it's awesome power with HJK. With Tyrantrum, a very prominent threat in this game's meta, this is one of the best revenge killers he has to face against. Coupled with the fact that this moveset is more flexible to cater towards what your team needs in a good revenge killer and you've got a good match. You can switch between Edge or Jab depending on if you want more coverage, or if fairies are a problem. You can also confuse people if they think Lee is your rapid spinner and bam revenge kill.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def or 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
- Thunderbolt

Not creative in the slightest (unless you count it being non-existent in RU) but highly underrated. Zebstrika has an amazing base 116 Speed that sets it in front of dangerous threats like Durant, Virizion, Sneasal, and Flygon. Base 80 Special Attack may not seem like much, but it is enough to run a cleaner set. Zebstrika has one of the fastest Volt Switches in the tier (2nd fastest unboosted behind Jolteon) which allows it to maintain momentum quite easily. Overheat is a godsend for Zebstrika that lets it act a lot like Manectric did in BW RU. A fast Electric type that is able to push through Grass-types if it needs to. Overheat is also useful for drilling Mega Steelix for heavy damage, which can help a teammate sweep (such as Durant or Tyrantrum) or let Zebstrika sweep later if Mega Steelix is already weakened some. The Hidden Power type comes down to how you want to play Zebstrika. If you want it to clean more reliably, Hidden Power Ice is better to drill Flygon (you'll need to catch Scarfed ones on the switch) However, if you're wanting Zebstrika to weaken even more typical Electric-type checks, such as Rhyperior and Seismitoad, Hidden Power Grass is preferred. Overall, HP Ice is better as Zebstrika only has base 80 Special Attack, meaning it won't OHKO Rhyperior most of the time with HP Grass. Thunderbolt rounds out the set by giving Zebstrika a reliable Electric-type STAB to clean with if the chance arises. EVs are basic and Life Orb is absolutely mandatory so Overheat and Hidden Power have some power to them for bulkier targets. Sap Sipper is the preferred ability to turn a neutrality to Grass into an immunity. This is especially helpful for switching into the likes of Rotom-C, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth (watch out for Focus Blast!) There are a couple of things you can consider on Zebstrika. Hidden Power Water is very notable to hammer Mega Camerupt and it still retains coverage on Rhyperior. Lightning Rod has use as an ability to give Zebstrika a Special Attack boost when its hit by an Electric-type move, which can help it sweep more reliably. However, losing a complete immunity to Grass-type moves limits the already few switch-in opportunities Zebstrika has due to its frailty and typing. So yeah, give this a try if you want a fast Electric-type that doesn't get manhandled by bulky Grasses and Steels.

Electivire @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Punch / Earthquake

Hopefully I don't get crucified for this, but E-Vire is actually not that bad of a mon. E-Vire has a bad reputation thanks to being wrongfully tiered in DPP and BW, being OU and RU respectively, plus is kinda like Ambipom in that people use it in lower ladder incorrectly, however I feel Electivire has a legit niche as a good lure mon. I paired it with Banded Aerodactyl as a way to lure in mons that like to switch into Aero, and take them out for late game in order for the prehistoric bird to sweep. For example, Seismitoad, Flygon, MegaLix, and Rhyperior all like to switch into Aerodactyl, plus they also like to switch into Electric types like E-Vire, and that's when you can hit 'em hard. Plus with Electivire's reputation as a physical mon, physical walls like Granbull, Tangrowth, and Amoongus also switch into Electivire, just to get popped by T-Bolt and Flamethrower respectively. Plus ability wise it also pairs well with Aero, providing an Electric immunity so you don't have to risk speed ties with Jolteon. Besides for Aero, this set also pairs well with Aggron as it can lure out the few things that can take a banded Head Smash, Emboar to lure out Seismitoad, Mega Snow to take out bulky steels, and probably some more stuff. And outside of luring, this can act as a neat wallbreaker, and can be used in double Electric cores to pressure Ground types. Obviously it still isn't that good, as it can't switch in on much besides Electric moves, and some special walls can give it some trouble(i guess u can run wild charge if you want), but still, a nice lure mon and a pretty underrated mon too.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Healing Wish

Healing Wish mola is actually a really cool and useful set for offensive teams that rely on wallbreakers like Emboar. On offense moves like Toxic and Knock Off aren't always the most reliable as they just can completely kill momentum more than mola usually does. But with Healing Wish late game you can surprise the opponent as they switch in something like Tangrowth predicting a Scald or Wish, and you can just Healing Wish to Emboar or something else that threatens them out, also giving it a second chance to sweep the opposing team. I don't really have replays, but qsns used this set effectively in his three Grand Slam Playoff games against atomicllamas, frizy, and TewMew.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

AV Tank (Clawitzer) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere / U-turn
- Dark Pulse / U-turn

This thread needs to be updated but I have a set that I use a lot.
Clawitzer doesn't have terrible bulk at all. It can take some hits and go with one of its coverage options. Scald Burns + AV makes this thing able to take a lot more hits and overall can provide a nice pivot. Of course it misses out on its ability to wallbreak but with 372 special attack Claw will still hit pretty hard. U-turn can be used to grab momentum and is a bit of a "surprise" move since it isn't seen pn standard variants. Of course lack of recovery and it being very susceptible to chip damage makes it not as big as it could be. This also helps a bit with the new drops slighly being able to soft check Absol and tank hits from Aerodactyl. Unfortunately running this and Blastoise on the same team would be difficult if you had to. Overall this is a nice Underrated Set.

P is For Penguin

formerly MainEvent

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Fire Blast / Tailwind

This is a nifty little set, for lead Aerodactyl. Imo rocks aerodactyl has been extremely overlooked and many people have defaulted to using all out attacker or LO 3 attacks. Due to this you may be able to catch some people off guard. Due to aerodactyls amazing speed tier it is faster than all hazard setters bar accelgor, this being the case it can be a good counter lead being able to deny opposing setups with taunt and then getting its own rocks up. Stone edge is the main stab which will always be on any aero set so that is default. Atm i have decided to run eq as the final slot as it hits mega lix harder than fire blast, however fire blast is an option if you fear tangrowth or other grass types. Another option for the 4th slot is tailwind, this set is designed to pretty much get rocks up and due to aeros amazing speed it will most likely be able to setup tailwind for its team before going down thanks to sash.

062.gif

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

So this is kind of a neat Poliwrath set that I stole from NU. It works as kind of nice middle ground between the offensive and defensive sets since it can come in and take some hits and actually dish out decent damage despite its low SpA. It also has the bonus of stopping opponents from mindlessly clicking Head Smash on Tyrantrum since you take ~40% and OHKO with Focus Blast. Vacuum Wave also lets it be a bit of a sneaky revenge killer in a pinch to pick off some really weak stuff, though I guess you could do Rest there instead and hold Chesto. EVs outspeed something, I don't remember what. Needs support to deal with Jellicent since that hardwalls this (so does toad a little, but Focus Blast chunks it pretty well). Reasons to use it over those as a Water immunity are its unique typing that gives it different resists, as well as Vacuum Wave and STAB Focus Blast. Maybe not super creative, but I would say it's fairly underrated atm at least.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Substitute
This set is so expressive. It can setup one CM in Aroma/Toise and after it, put in a Substitute. After it, Calm Mind, Calm Mind and Calm Mind... This set has only three weaknesses into a Substitute: Spiritomb, can't hit it anyway and Bronzong/Escavalier... Nice typing and hard resistance. And now Meloetta can be considerate a nice Hoopa Check, so this set will be more viable.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Substitute
This set is so expressive. It can setup one CM in Aroma/Toise and after it, put in a Substitute. After it, Calm Mind, Calm Mind and Calm Mind... This set has only three weaknesses into a Substitute: Spiritomb, can't hit it anyway and Bronzong/Escavalier... Nice typing and hard resistance. And now Meloetta can be considerate a nice Hoopa Check, so this set will be more viable.
I'm sorry to say that this is essentially the standard Sub+CM set. It's not exactly a creative set, as it's already a staple on many teams. However, many users go for a coverage move over a STAB. Still, I don't think it differentiates itself enough to be considered a new set.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry to say that this is essentially the standard Sub+CM set. It's not exactly a creative set, as it's already a staple on many teams. However, many users go for a coverage move over a STAB. Still, I don't think it differentiates itself enough to be considered a new set.
It's not a new set, but I think he's trying to show it as an underrated set as not many people use it over Specs, AV, Colbur CM + 3 Attacks, etc. I would definitely like to see Shadow Ball over Psyshock though as Normal + Ghost has perfect neutral coverage in the tier and it lets Meloetta outright OHKO Hoopa and eases the matchup vs. Escavalier.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Don't want to make this thread even more off-topic, BUT Timid subCM is a massively underrated threat, and allows (an offensive) Meloetta to play around usual offensive checks like Absol while not forfeiting too much of it's matchup versus stall/balance. I agree with what EonX said as well.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Are you guys sick and tired of all of the bulky mons in RU including the infamous regen core of alomomoonguss? Well I finally have a solution. The following mon will solve your issues in a flash. It will take out alomomola, slowking, defensive tangrowth, amoonguss, among others.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers/Grip Claw
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk/Scald/Toxic/Seismic Toss
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song

The premise is simple: grass types will stay in thinking you can't do anything and bulky waters will likely just try and toxic you. Meanwhile you whirlpool them trapping them and then perish song the next turn meaning that they will die in 3 turns. if they can't 2HKO you which most of them can't you can just resttalk and wait 2 turns to stall the perish song and then switch out to something that'll take whatever they're going for as they helplessly faint. Grip claw can be used to extend the length of whirlpool to 7 turns but 4-5 is usually enough. I'll admit it is a bit gimmicky and not the most reliable but it can definitely work. I'll try to get replays on the higher ladder as soon as I can get there with the alt I'm using for this set.

Last edited:
Are you guys sick and tired of all of the bulky mons in RU including the infamous regen core of alomomoonguss? Well I finally have a solution. The following mon will solve your issues in a flash. It will take out alomomola, slowking, defensive tangrowth, amoonguss, among others.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers/Grip Claw
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk/Scald/Toxic/Seismic Toss
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song

The premise is simple: grass types will stay in thinking you can't do anything and bulky waters will likely just try and toxic you. Meanwhile you whirlpool them trapping them and then perish song the next turn meaning that they will die in 3 turns. if they can't 2HKO you which most of them can't you can just resttalk and wait 2 turns to stall the perish song and then switch out to something that'll take whatever they're going for as they helplessly faint. Grip claw can be used to extend the length of whirlpool to 7 turns but 4-5 is usually enough. I'll admit it is a bit gimmicky and not the most reliable but it can definitely work. I'll try to get replays on the higher ladder as soon as I can get there with the alt I'm using for this set.
I really like the creativity behind this. Hopefully this can allow people to see Politoed in a new light. If you can, please post some replays of this moveset in action.
Oh and this too :) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-343095796

Last edited:
upload_2016-3-11_15-53-46.png

REPRESENT (Braviary) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Crush Claw
- Brave Bird
When the metal snakes and rock rhinos are away, the eagles will play! lol. This set is different from sub-bulk as it utilizes Braviary's nice HP stat and reliable recovery. This thing takes many surprising special hits, and once Flying/Normal resists are gone it can easily clean the rest of the game.

upload_2016-3-11_15-59-37.png

Water Pig (Emboar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
This is more of a gimmick, but it can surprise opponents who switch into standard checks like Seismitoad. Also, The entire moveset provides great coverage.

Ding-A-Ling Head (Medicham) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
Honestly, I rarely see Medicham, and when I do it usually has the same exact set except replacing Drain Punch with Bullet punch. Drain Punch is nice STAB with recovery, and it heals itself and takes out a weakened foe simultaneously.

View attachment 58539
REPRESENT (Braviary) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Crush Claw
- Brave Bird
When the metal snakes and rock rhinos are away, the eagles will play! lol. This set is different from sub-bulk as it utilizes Braviary's nice HP stat and reliable recovery. This thing takes many surprising special hits, and once Flying/Normal resists are gone it can easily clean the rest of the game.

View attachment 58540
Water Pig (Emboar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
This is more of a gimmick, but it can surprise opponents who switch into standard checks like Seismitoad. Also, The entire moveset provides great coverage.

Ding-A-Ling Head (Medicham) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
Honestly, I rarely see Medicham, and when I do it usually has the same exact set except replacing Drain Punch with Bullet punch. Drain Punch is nice STAB with recovery, and it heals itself and takes out a weakened foe simultaneously.
There's no such thing as scarf bullet punch medicham, im assuming you meant Life Orb...and even then drain punch is nothing new on Life Orb or Choice Scarf
Check this out!

There's no such thing as scarf bullet punch medicham, im assuming you meant Life Orb...and even then drain punch is nothing new on Life Orb or Choice Scarf
Check this out!
lol you don't even want to see the rest of the trash I HAVE seen. Just something I supposed was common, but now I can say it is not. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Absol (F) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Claw

The point of this set is to try and get as many crits as possible. Night Slash, Psycho Cut, and Shadow Claw all already have naturally higher crit rates and then Super Luck and Scope Lens raise it even more.
I was debating whether or not to replace one of the moves with wish, but ultimately decided against it.
Also on this team is pokémon with Memento (Lowers target's Attack, Sp. Atk by 2. User faints) in order to give Absol an easier time setting up.
I have yet to use this set competitively, so it may need some tweaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)