XY RU RU Hyper Offense

RU is incredibly stally right now. Everywhere I turn there's bulk, bulk, and even more bulk. However, that just leaves the door open for a group of wall-breakers to shred through the meta. That's where this hyper offense team comes in. It's not quite traditional hyper offense, as most of it is bulky offense, but it has a similar feel and I have yet to come across a team where something walls everything. Without further ado, the team.

AbandonHope.png

Mega Banette
Item: Banettite
Nature: Adamant
252 att, 252 spd, 4 sp def.
shadow sneak
knock off
will-o-wisp
destiny bond

Mega Banette is here to remove the biggest threat to this team on the opposition's side. It has good priority to be a revenge killer, it can burn physical threats, and once its utility has been used up, destiny bond away and take down one thing for sure.

250px-638Cobalion.png

Cobalion
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Naive
252 att, 252 spd, 4 spatk
Iron Head
Close Combat
Stealth Rock
Volt Switch

Cobalion is probably the best overall member of this team, as it can sponge physical hits, hit hard, set up hazards, and grant switch initiative. It has an excellent typing for the tier and outspeeds many threats, and I often find that it is my win condition.

Feraligatr.jpg

Feraligatr
Item: Lum Berry (Can change for leftovers)
Nature: Adamant
252 hp, 252 att, 4 spdef
Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Ice Punch

Feraligatr is here to punch holes in wall cores. Its great natural bulk allows you to set up and fire off waterfalls. Once you get into torrent range, nothing wants to take an aqua jet and it can pave the way for some of the faster mons to clean up.

250px-561Sigilyph.png

Sigilyph
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Timid
252 sp atk, 252 spd, 4 def, 0 evs attk
Psyshock
Ice Beam
Energy Ball
Dazzling Gleam (Can change for air slash)

To those of you new to the RU meta, this is the best Sigilyph set, not flame orb cosmic power. This set allows you to break through many walls and finish off some sweepers, with its great 97 base speed. Also, psyshock OHKO's specially defensive Amoonguss, one of the most prominent walls in the tier.

250px-135Jolteon.png

Jolteon
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Timid
252 sp atk, 252 spd, 4 hp
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Grass (Can change for ice or fire)
Shadow Ball

Jolteon is probably the best special attacker in the tier. Its speed is unmatched and choice specs gives it that extra power that is unmatched in the tier. This thing hits hard and can give you momentum. I run hp grass because it OHKO's gastrodon (with specs, not life orb or any other variant), but you can change it for hp ice for Gligar, or hp fire for Escavalier (though specs thunderbolt still hurts).

250px-693Clawitzer.png

Clawitzer
Item: Assault Vest
Nature: Modest
252 hp, 252 sp atk, 4 spdef, 0 evs attk
Water Pulse
Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
Sludge Wave (Can change for Ice Beam)

Wondering where the special bulk was? Here it is! Clawitzer is incredibly bulky and hits like a truck. It gets great coverage and has an amazing ability to match. I run sludge wave over ice beam because I have a lot of ice coverage already, and sludge wave hits grass types the same way ice beam does and also hits Aromatisse, who normally walls Clawitzer.

That's the team. Some of its biggest weaknesses are Escavalier, Sharpedo, Shiftry, and Spiritomb (the foul play variant), so watch out for that. I've been winning very handily with this team and please comment on how it fairs for you!

Text version:
Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shadow Ball

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Wave

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi cool team here, I have one suggestion in particular.

Life Orb Clawitzer is infinitely better than Assault Vest. You simply sacrifice too much power, to the point where Clawitzer can no longer break through common cores. For example,

252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 104 HP / 156 SpD Alomomola: 252-298 (50.7 - 59.9%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 104 HP / 156 SpD Alomomola: 194-229 (39 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 216-255 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 166-196 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

These are really a HUGE deal. Clawitzer's draw is its great, powerful coverage that lets it dismantle cores. If you look at the above calcs, Assault Vest deals significantly less damage. Alomomola can simply Toxic stall you out, and Slowking does more damage with Psyshock because it hits on the physical side. Furthermore, HO isn't about taking hits, and Clawitzer should only be killing things slower than it so that it doesn't need to tank hits. Clawitzer doesn't have any form of recovery either and therefore is easily worn down. I recommend the following set

Clawitzer @ Life Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere

Scald is generally better than Water Pulse because there is very little power difference and Scald has a change to burn. While Sludge Wave is nice, 252 HP Aromatisse is basically 2HKOed by Life Orb Scald (especially if you Burn, and it's a clean 2HKO after Rocks. You were walled before because you were running Assault Vest). Ice Beam really helps against stuff like Golbat and Druddigon. Max Speed is nice just to outspeed a couple annoyances and things that are speed creeping, though 252 HP is generally fine too because you will only want to use Clawitzer against things slower than it (and most Stall cores are).

tl;dr: your team has some trouble with defensive cores and LO Clawitzer deals with them.

I personally haven't used Gatr but when I face it I find it a bit underwhelming because it doesn't really beat many defensive cores. You could consider swapping it out for Hitmonlee or something, who hits hard right off the bat and checks Sharpedo.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, this is a pretty interesting team, but i think i have a few ways to make it better!

First off, i agree with V0x in that AV Clawitzer is pretty mediocre in this metagame both because it misses out on the power of Life Orb, *and* because it recieves a lot of competition from AV Slowking when it comes to taking special attacks, definitely change that to a Life Orb varient *or* to something else that i'm going to suggest at the end of this post.

Of course removing Clawitzer's Assault Vest reduces your team's ability to take special hits from things such as Moltres, Delphox, etc. So if you feel uncomfortable with losing the bulk AV Claw provided i'd say to replace Jolteon with Assault Vest Eelektross. AV Eelektross is really bulky, decently powerful, has amazing coverage, and it's a momentum machine thanks to its slow Volt Switch. Eelektross's lack of weaknesses and good special bulk with AV will really come in handy when it comes to holding back all the special threats you used AV Clawitzer for before, so it'll definitely pull its weight here imo. Also, AV Eel gives you another check to the ever common Doublade and another way to easily get rid of one of the biggest threats to your team: Escavalier.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt / Knock Off

Now by running AV Eelektross over Jolteon, of course you're going to be losing a lot of Speed, but this just goes right to my next suggestion, and that's to replace Feraligatr with a physical Sharpedo. As V0x mentioned, Feraligatr is pretty underwhelming in the current metagame imo, but Sharpedo is an absolute monster right now and should play the role of a late game cleaner/fast and hard hitter for your team quite well. LO Clawitzer and Eelektross should already be enough to punch through most defensive cores already, so you won't lose out on much by replacing the Gatr you were using to break walls tbh (not to mention Alomomola is one of the most common defensive mons in the tier and walls that set, so i'm not totally sure how effective it was) Outside of cleaning up late game, Sharpedo's Speed Boost ability in combination with Protect should help you out with revenge killing and more than make up for the Speed lost by replacing Jolteon. The slow Volt Switch provided by the aforementioned Eelektross should help Sharpedo get in safely too :o.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Zen Headbutt

The Speed EVs on Mega Banette are a little bit overkill imo. I'd really only run enough to outpace Cresselia, which is a mere 84 Speed EVs post Mega Evolution. Speaking of Cresselia, you could try running Shadow Claw over Will-O-Wisp if you ever feel like she's giving you too much trouble.

I'd probably change around your Sigilyph set a little bit tbh. Your current Sigilyph set is completely walled by Steel-types such as Doublade, Registeel, and Escavalier, so i'd heavily advise you to run Heat Wave somewhere, (especially considering you mentioned that one of the biggest threats to your team was Escavalier, this just gives it one less opportunity to safely switch in) I also prefer Roost's reliable recovery over Dazzling Gleam's Dark-type coverage, especially since Sigilyph's coverage hits a lot of RU's Dark-types decently hard regardless, but that's up to you. Two different Sigilyph sets you could try out are in the hide tags below.

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Lastly, going back to your Life Orb Clawitzer. If you decide to implement the changes i listed above, trying out a Choice Specs Scrappy Exploud over Clawitzer might not be a bad idea. Scrappy Boomburst alone should be tearing through pretty much every bulky Pokemon in the tier bar maybe Registeel, and even the golem gets worn down with repeated switch ins to both Exploud and the rest of your team. If you want a wallbreaker that'll always do its job and do it well, you really can't get much better than this thing. Something else notable is that Exploud can take a Sucker Punch from Spiritomb and OHKO it with Boomburst after Stealth Rock damage! This is an optional change, but nonetheless something that i think would be a good idea to play around w/.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Surf

Hope i helped!

Thanks for the advice V0x and molk! Dazzling Gleam over Heat Wave on Sigilyph was a complete oversight and I usually run heat wave, so I don't know why I forgot it. Also, life orb Clawitzer definitely helps, doesn't make a huge difference imo, but it helps. However, Jolteon is the fastest member of the team and, without any true walls, I need something that can outspeed the entire metagame. Changing it for Eelektross just sacrifices speed and nothing else can replace it the same way. And without that extra bulk, adding specs Exploud over Clawitzer doesn't fit the mold of the team as well. There are just too many fighting types in the tier that outspeed and OHKO Exploud. As for Feraligatr vs. Sharpedo, I like Feraligatr because it hits harder and can take hits better. Since Sharpedo has become such a big threat, many teams carry Cobalion, Tangrowth, or other counters to it. Feraligatr can set up, has the bulk to take hits, and has priority to stop faster threats. I think that one is personal preference, and I personally have found Feraligatr better with this team.

That being said, great advice and I might try some of the sets that don't work as well with the mold of the team on my other teams!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)