Running Circles (OU Peak 1700)

Hello, this is Pmok3 with another team that I personally think is a great addition to the Smogon OU forums. This team is built around a defensive core of 3 members, Xatu, Rotom-W, and Scizor. I think they have great defensive synergy with each other, with no weaknesses that they can switch into and 2 immunities in poison and ground. Xatu is the most important pokemon of this core for its ability to slow down the opposition and deflect any entry hazards that I predict with magic bounce. The other two, scizor and rotom-W, have no weaknesses between them. Rotom's only weakness is grass, and if a predicted attack is imminent scizor will take a hit at 4x resistance so it's all good between both of them defensively. As the main anchors of the team, these two with their bulk are often called upon when a glaring weakness is exposed on one of the members through a quick switch through U-turn or Volt Switch.

Offensively for the most part, this team is a matchup nightmare. With nearly all member of the team able to withstand many powerful attacks, this allows them to switch in and out with each other seamlessly with U-turn and Volt Switch. Not only do they have amazing coverage against psychic, dark, and water types (The most prominent powerhouses in the OU tier), but they also let me switch to a pokemon better suited to the situation. The movespread across the team covers nearly all the types, except for poison, rock, ground

For example, say I had recently switched to celebi after the other pokemon switched to alakazam. Knowing that alakazam usually has shadow ball, celebi outspeeding it uses U-turn and switches to Scizor, who in turn uses pursuit to trap the alakazam as it tries to escape the mantis' vice grip of death.

When building the team I took into consideration many things, so here they are so you guys can make suggestions and help me out accordingly :D
1. The ability to always attack first. It really helps the VoltTurn strategy if you can attack first using predicting powers to eliminate any threats whatsoever. This can be through faster pokemon/scarfed, or by priority moves.
2. Every pokemon must have a switching move on their list (no baton pass), this means that the team must be compatible with either volt switch or u-turn.
So here are the roles that I filled for my team:
1. Lead pokemon with fake out to break initial sasher's.
- Mienshao
2. Defensive core with synergy
- Scizor
- Rotom-W
3. Magic bounce/spinner
I found that magic bounce is much more useful than a spin because it does negative damage to the opponent and you don't have to waste a turn eliminating hazards.
- Xatu (or Espeon please comment which is better!)
4. Physical wallbreaker
- Victini (Switched from Infernape)
5. Special wallbreaker
- Scarf Celebi (Want to replace with something faster and without scarf!)
Those are the roles that I built the team around.

So, meet the team:

When building the team I wanted a strong defensive core because I believe that defense wins games not hyperoffense or balanced stall teams. So here are the first two pokemon: Scizor, the defensive heart and core of this team, and Rotom-W, the washing machine of death!

1. Defensive Tank/Priority Beast
Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 16 Spd / 240 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit

Probably one of the most useful pokemon in the tier defensively, scizor packs quite a punch. With only 1 weakness to fire and the rest either resistances or neutral (except poison of course), scizor is without a doubt the glue that holds everything together. The first move U-turn, is the standard requirement of this team. The ability to deal damage, any damage and switch out to a better pokemon suited to the situation is a given as it allows me to change the tempo very quickly and inflict damage where it really hurts. With a base power of 157.5 and the ability to switch pokemon in the same turn, it really punches holes where they are needed. Superpower is my third most used move, as it only really helps to quickly get mamoswine or tyrannitar that hurts celebi. Doesn't really do much else as it lowers my attack leaving me locked into choice band like that and it hurts me more than it helps most of the time. Next up is bullet punch, my favourite priority move. The only pokemon that can really tank this move is rotom-w, as it has a 4x resistance to steel. Otherwise it's neutral to just about everything except for steel, and it finishes of a lot of weakened pokemon, scizor is my go-to guy for these types of scenarios. Last move is pursuit, and it really helps to trap pokemon like alakazam (OHKO), reuniclus, and the lati twins. Generally just a great move against offensive psychic and ghost pokemon. Not only can scizor tank threats like outrage garchomp and knock them off with a bullet punch, but scizor can also switch in to heavy threats like dragon dance gyarados and knock it with a quick U-turn before annahilating it with rotom-W's volt switch, which brings me to my next pokemon:

2. Immortal Washing Machine
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Thunder Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

One of a kind, rotom-w is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get, unless you look on the bottom. Just wait a sec, it doesn't have a bottom thanks to levitate! Rotom-W is my powerhouse that I switch into threats like rhyperior and landorus-t in. Not only does it have great special defense bulk allowing me to switch into most special sweepers, but it also grants me 3 great moves that I will discuss in detail. The first is thunder wave. By slowing everything down just a notch, it allows me to gain the advantage. It works in synergy with pain split because thunder wave always allows me to move first, which allows me to wittle down opponents like blissey and then finish them off with a volt switch/hydro pump when it's within KO range. The second is pain split. This keeps me alive, when I see a blissey or a snorlax. Just incredible, it keeps rotom-w pretty much immortal for the game. As long as rotom-w and scizor are alive, my pokes are still motivated to win. The last out of the 3 is volt switch. Again part of the switch out series, volt switch is my stab electric move that allows me to switch to another pokemon in the same turn. Pretty nifty if you ask me... ;D The last move in its arsenal is hydro pump, nothing special. I'm finding it misses more than its designated 20% of its share, like focus blast. Too bad it doesn't have access to surf or any accurate water move. Lots of power, great stab.

3. Mirror of FLAMES
Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Gentle Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

I cannot tell you how useful Xatu is to the team. Although it may lack certain bulk and is a tiny bit on the fragile end, it is an AMAZING SWITCH IN nevertheless. Let's start off with its fantastic ability, Magic Bounce. Usually my lead pokemon switches out with its bulk on a starting ferrothorn/forretress, and then Xatu comes in right in the middle of a U-turn while the opposition wishes they hadn't done that. Why, you may ask? IT GOES BACK TO THEM!!! Many teams with dragonite, kyurem, gyarados, and especially volcarona have been pained by stealth rock because of a lack of a spinner. Not only that, Magic Bounce also reflects back statuses so if celebi is dead and I sense a status incoming, I send out Xatu and bam! They get the status. Not bad, huh? The reason why I call Xatu mirror of flames is because of its hp fire. Hp fire takes care of most threats, most notably ferrothorn, forretress, and scizor. That's what it's designed to do, take care of any pokemon who want to set up. If the opponent has a reputation of switching while wasting turns, I will usually thunderwave the incoming pokemon that checks Xatu, anything icy, dark, ghost, rock, bug, or electric. This really hurts the opponent as it opens up a lot of space for me to kill quickly with quick celebi, or bullet punch scizor. My last one is roost, when i'm checkmated against a brave bird skarmory and I want to stall my life just for a bit before switching out etc.. Because of the defensive holes opened up in this awful typing, Xatu works really well with....

4. Jackie Chan
Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

In many ways I am convinced that Mienshao is Jackie Chan. First, the small build. Second, the stance it always is in. It looks as if its arms are coiled back, ready to spring into action. Third, it's deceiving looks. Although he may look like a regular person in his middle ages, Jackie Chan is not someone you want to mess around in the back alley with. Neither is mienshao. Boasting just enough speed to beat garchomp, celebi, victini, mew, and jirachi, coupled with a nice 125 attack, it isn't hard to see why mienshao made it onto my team. Its primary use is a sash breaker. Switch into mienshao, use fake out, and then blow the opponent away with a nice high jump kick. Stone edge also takes care of any gyarados that thinks it can switch in, salamence after fake out, and multiscale dragonite after fake out. U-turn is the standard of the set, allowing it's awesome ability REGENERATOR to heal 1/3 of its hp every time it leaves the field. That's right, mienshao if preserved correctly is like a lobster; immortal until eaten.

5. Tiny Tim
Victini @ Life Orb
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- V-create
- Brick Break
- Bolt Strike

There might be a person on your team that you call Tiny Tim because they appear to be small and helpless, but absolutely ferocious and a monster when they get engaged in what they like to do best. Enter Victini, the Tiny Tim of the entire OU tier. Boasting stats of 100 across the board, Victini is almost as flexible as mew, has more powerful moves than jirachi, and the looks of a pokemon only put onto cute teams (skitty delcatty ponyta). With these defensive stats I don't have to worry too much about it not being able to take hits, as 100/100/100 seems pretty damned bulky to me. I personally chose the life orb over the band or scarf because I didn't want to be locked in to V-create and have an instant death on my hands. Let's start with the moveset. U-turn, the staple of this team, remains as prominent as ever due to its usefulness. V-create, the most powerful fire move in the game, powered by a STAB bonus and 252 attack just about kills everything that doesn't resist it. Brick break for those like hydreigon that doesn't outspeed it, and bolt strike for any incoming water types like tentacruel or gyarados that try to switch in using water. While we're on the subject of fast physical presences... let me introduce you to....

6. The onion
Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Although it may seem like a subject of controversy, "The Onion" has many uses. The first is making you cry. With the exact same statpool as Tiny Tim over there, The Onion has many uses pokemon related other than making trainers cry. The first is OHKOing threats like gliscor and landorus-T at full health. As soon as I realized that a Hasty nature would often get 96-97% of a these types down, I would get really pissed and the onion would turn on me making me cry when they cut the onion. I changed it to a Mild nature which allowed me to maximize on special attack without compromising that much speed as not many pokemon could outspeed a scarfed celebi. First move, U-turn. Celebi is often used as a scout if I see gliscor on another team, otherwise U-turn is just another pesky move to scout or change positions. Psychic is a quick move that takes care of a non boosted toxicroak (even with sucker punch), machamp, and conkeldurr at full health if not defensively EV'd. Giga drain over leaf storm, because celebi is often used as a revenge attacker it doesn't always stay relatively healthy, even with natural cure. I also didn't want to remain locked in the scarf with a constantly decreasing special attack. Hidden ice for gliscor, salamence, flygon, garchomp, landorus-T, and other prominent threats.

Gameplay:
The style in which I use is a constantly rotating offense with a strong defensive core as the anchor for the entire team. I don't put up any hazards, and my pokemon perform well in all kinds of weathers, with their diversity. So let's get down to the basics of how I play.

Lead pokemon: In order of usage
1. Mienshao (95%)
2. Celebi (4%)
3. Scizor (1%)

Most of the time Mienshao will start. It opens up with Fake Out, and opens up many possibilities. If there is tyrannitar, many trainers think mienshao with HJK and switch out to a pokemon that resists it like toxicroak, tentacruel, or xatu. From fake out we go from there. I check if there is a weakness that I can exploit immediately or if I have to swap out. If my speed is higher than that of the opponent, I will use U-turn. If not, I will switch into either: Scizor or Rotom-W. Their bulk keeps the rest of my team alive for the duration of the match.

From that initial switch, the game truly begins.

Here are some common scenarios in which my team has excelled at:

Opposing Trainer sent out Ferrothorn/Forretress!
I sent out Mienshao!
- Mienshao used Fake Out!
- Ferrothorn/Forretress flinched!
- Mienshao used U-Turn!
(Swaps out to Xatu)
- Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
- IT BOUNCED BACK!!!!!
- Xatu used thunder wave (either on ferrothorn or another pokemon that switched in)
- Xatu used Hidden Power Fire(If they haven't swapped)!
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE OMFG 2HKO
- Xatu used U-turn!

Opposing Trainer sent out Politoed!
I sent out Mienshao!
- Mienshao used Fake Out!
- Politoed flinched!
- Mienshao used HJK!
It's a OHKO!!!

Opposing Trainer sent out Ninetales!
I sent out Mienshao!
- Mienshao used Fake out!
- Ninetales flinched!
- Mienshao used stone edge!
(OHKO if it doesn't miss)

Opposing Trainer sent out Tyrannitar!
(A sandstorm brewed up!)
I sent out Mienshao!
Tyrannitar, come back!
Go, Espeon!
Mienshao, come back!
Xatu, let's go!!!
- Espeon used thunderwave!!
IT BOUNCED BACK!!!!!

Opposing Trainer sent out Skarmory!
I sent out Mienshao!
- Skarmory flinched!
- Mienshao used U-Turn!
(Xatu was sent out)
- Skarmory used Stealth Rock!
IT WAS BOUNCED BACK!!!!!
- Xatu used Thunder Wave!
- Skarmory used Brave Bird/Spikes/Swapped out
- Xatu used Hidden Power Fire! (If didn't swap out)/U-Turn/Thunderwave if swapped out to a slow pokemon

After these very common sequences by very common leads, the team proceeds to rip apart others through mass switching and predicting.
Thanks for reading about my team and please comment any suggestions to make!

I am currently looking for a fast special attacker to replace celebi that is fast enough it doesn't need the scarf and with the firepower that it doesn't need specs. I am trying out accelgor, with a set of:
Accelgor @ Ice Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 100 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk / 152 HP
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Final Gambit
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ice Gem for dragons like celebi used to dominate, U-turn as the standard of the team. Giga drain like celebi's attacking spread and a new move as a last resort against any setup pokes like bulked conkeldurr that accelgor outspeeds. Nifty move in my opinion. A key difference that accelgor separates from celebi is the 4x weakness to bug. Very helpful in my opinion when dealing with threats like landorus-t and dragonite. Too bad it doesn't have natural cure because then celebi is more useful as it prevents breloom from taking over etc. One of the problems that it has is that I can't use it in the rotation as it lacks any type of bulk whatsoever and is killed by the slightest priority move.

Last edited:
DragMag can take out Scizor/Celebi with ease especially with them both being choice locked and having to play extremely smart. In all honesty CS Celebi is not needed for the way you use him, he resist Gliscor and Landorous T easilly. A Nasty Plot build would do you better or even a bulk or Def build because none of those threats you mentioned are threats to celebi.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def
-Giga Drain
-Nasty Plot
-Hidden Power Ice
-Psychic/Psyshock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)