Tournament RUPL V Manager Sign Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
May have been brought up before but i feel like there should be some type of manager vote regarding bw shadow tag. Goth traps so much shit like slowking and amoong for entei druddigon rotom c that its actually ridiculous. Spikes for wearing down walls are broken in this gen anyway so id rather not have to deal with this extra stupid element. Dont count on me wanting to start in bw if this doesnt go through.
I think Goth is a dumb Pokemon at times and probably makes the tier more matchup dependent than it should be, but its hardly the most oppressive Pokemon in the tier and I'd argue in the state BW RU is in rn, it's actually quite awful against a lot of good teams. BW RU is a super super offensive metagame (you can run Stall against people who don't actually know what the tier is at all, but stuff like traditional August stall has so many hard counters that anyone who understands the metagame should know what to bring to beat it), and against a huge portion of teams it can't really trap a ton of stuff. Goth can only really trap super passive mons like Alomomola, Amoonguss, defensive Slowking (but this guy can run Dragon Tail to get around this, which works fine in a meta with a ton of hazards), and most of these defensive mons barring like Mola really just aren't fantastic atm (and trapping mola is arguably good for the meta because fuk mola). Sure, it can trap stuff like Rose and Qwil and Ferroseed as well I guess, but honestly these mons aren't built to reliably answer threats in the first place, since the main goal of these mons is to switch in relatively comfortably on some dangerous moves (like Grass STAB from Sceptile, CB Drudd Outrage, or Ant stabs etc) to get hazards up. Trapping these mons shouldn't really be a huge deal since your team should ideally have secondary checks to those threats anyway, and they still get Spikes up against Goth since it cant kill them in time. Builds like rocker / spiker / offensive goodstuff or the dumb Uxie + offensive FWG core strats really dgaf about Goth, and even most defensive teams have some counterplay to it (packing Pursuit on more defensive squads is really great, since this also helps cover Sigilyph as well, who can be almost as dumb as Goth to deal with depending on the set). Of course, if it gets the right matchup it's pretty oppressive to face, but I don't think it can get the matchups where it excels that easily against prepared players.

Like I get that there's a huge distaste for trapping nowadays and its generally seen as uncompetitive, but in BW RU I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Goth is a pretty high risk high reward Pokemon that can single-handedly win you games, but at the same time it can actually just be a useless slot against a lot of teams. BW2 RU is a fairly unbalanced metagame as a whole, mostly because a certain Ground / Poison Pokemon did not leave the tier for a very long time, which stifled metagame development pretty hard, but I think part of the fun of BW RU is that even though there are all these super busted Pokemon, there's still a lot of ways to play around them using Pokemon that are generally pretty good. Honestly, if there were to be changes made to BW RU, I'd probably like to go back and ban Druddigon / Alomomola / Durant / Moltres / Goth, but its current state is fine and still real fun to play, at least imo.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Managers:

Ajna managing the Mighty Mudsdales (assuming he's still alive)
Arifeen managing the Tsundere Tsareenas
EviGaro managing the Magnanimous Mismagius
Feliburn managing the Alt-Right Roserades
FlamingVictini managing the Dapper Dewpiders
lighthouses managing the Snob Frogs
MrAldo managing the ESKETIT Escavaliers
phantom managing the Venusian Venusaurs

Thanks to everyone who applied, there were a lot of really good choices this year and it was hard narrow down to just 8.

If you want to change your team name still (MrAldo, Feliburn, yours are shit) lemme know, there is still time. I'm gonna start a thread to talk about format and start a pm with managers so we can come to a conclusion on it and then figure out a time that works for auction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)