Tournament RUPL VII Format Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yahallo vros!

So we got a new gen this time around, and it's gonna be 8 slots again, use this thread to suggest the format, could be 4/2/1/1, 5/1/1/1, or even 4/1/1/1/1 (bo3) or other formats maybe depending on popular demand. dont even DREAM of suggesting no bw, also no dpp ru and ru doubles.
Bo3 could be each player picks 1 non SWSH and third is SWSH, or something else
Managers will most likely get to play but without manager slots (this could be reversed by popular demand though), if you are with managers playing, suggest what pricing way you prefer if you disagree with last year's way.

Also weigh in on teams getting to replace a player who cancers at some point in the middle of the tournament.

Managers signups will go up soon after the format is decided bop

Mavis

Banned deucer.
4/2/1/1 seems the most optimal, SM is a popular tier and a lot of our playerbase misses it being the main gen, so no reason to shuffle it off to only having a single slot. it's pretty damn fun too. 4 SS slots should go without saying, it's the main gen and the more we develop our meta before getting stuffed with more dlc, the better (I guess).

yes to the thing about replacing cancering players

what the hell is dpp ru

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
4-2-1-1 seems like the most promising, easier on all managers to figure it out since the playerbase for swish and sm is a lot more familiar and to all. ORAS and BW are super niche at this point but obviously deserve to be involved.

Free playing managers, imo going with last year's wins to fix pricing has value but I can understand it puts some people at a disadvantage if there's a few managers who didn't take part. Also keep retains imo and frick cancering

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I'm going to have to follow suit and say 4 SS / 2 SM / 1 ORAS / 1 BW since it just simply represents the most balanced format in my opinion. You get to have more fun with the "newer" stuff in Sw/Sh and still retain some familiarity with SM and ORAS

Yeah, I'm going to have to follow suit and say 4 SS / 2 SM / 1 ORAS / 1 BW since it just simply represents the most balanced format in my opinion. You get to have more fun with the "newer" stuff in Sw/Sh and still retain some familiarity with SM and ORAS

no bo3

Honestly, if there was the option to make it 3-3-1-1, I think that would be the better decision because I feel that SS is still such a fresh tier and everyone loved the SM tier. Next rupl can be adjusted to 4-2-1-1, but I'd take advantage that we've only had beta for less then a month and set it to 3-3-1-1

Honestly, if there was the option to make it 3-3-1-1, I think that would be the better decision because I feel that SS is still such a fresh tier and everyone loved the SM tier. Next rupl can be adjusted to 4-2-1-1, but I'd take advantage that we've only had beta for less then a month and set it to 3-3-1-1
i see where you're coming from, however seeing as week 1 will be up in like 3-4 weeks, and that sm has ended and will no longer get official play, i feel that putting such weight on sm would be way too much, and one of the benefits of a tournament like this is to encourage faster metagame development. the tournament lasts about 2 months so it would end right before slam starts. Also it's not unusual for official tournaments such as spl to go through "beta" phases, so it's not a very bad thing that gen 8 ru is still fresh and gets 4 slots.

The decisions as of now are:
-4-2-1-1
-Playing managers, pricing tbd (feel free to keep giving your opinion regarding this)
-Retains stay
-bw goth stays
-replacing a cancerous player by the middle of the season wouldnt be a bad idea, so unless there's opposition to this it's gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)