Sableye [QC 0/2]

[OVERVIEW]

-Great typing with 3 immunities and only 1 weakness.
-Beats popular physical attackers such as Kangastan and cripples Salamence.
-Cripples fast pokemon with the move Quash.
-good support even with subpar 50/75/65 bulk
-large support move pool including: Will-o-wisp,taunt, Quash, Trick and Feint
-Generally outclassed by faster prankster pokemon like Thunderous.

[SET]
name: Playing Pranks
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Quash
move 3: Recover / Swagger / Taunt / Fake Out
move 4: Foul Play / Fake Out
item: Sitrus Berry/Mental Herb
ability: Prankster
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Fake Out lets partners set up by immoblizing opponents.
- Will-O-Wisp cripples Physical Attackers like Mega Kangastan and Mega Salamence
-Taunt stops opposing pokemon from setting up or from taunting Sableye
-Detect keeps Sableye safe from opposing Taunts and other damage
-Recover allows Sableye to recover HP and stay on the field longer
-Sableye is better when it is lead with.
- Foul Play allows Sableye to not have to invest in offenses to do damage.
-Quash makes the target move last in a turn.
-Swagger is cancer can be used to confuse targets.

Set Details
========
-Lives Timid 252 Charizard Heat Wave 100% of the time
-Lives Adamant 252 Mega Salamence Return 100% of the time if you miss the Will-O-Wisp
-IV of 4/5 underspeeds Aegislash and allows it to be KO'd with Foul Play.

Usage Tips
========
- Spread taunt and burns to support your team
- remove items
- Recover safely
-Create free turns for teammates with Fake Out

Team Options
========

-Mega Kangastan likes free turns to set up with Power-Up-Punch
-Low physical defense pokemon enjoy Will-O-Wisp support
-Pokemon that beat prankster Taunt users because Sableye is very slow
-Beware of Guts and Flash Fire users at Team Preview as they hinder Sableye's success.
-Steel Types such as Mega Metagross and Aegislash can help beat any Fairy types that Sableye has trouble with.
-Middleing and Slow pokemon enjoy Quash support that allows them to move first such as Aegislash, Sylveon and Rhyperior.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-Sablenite loses the ability Prankster and that severely hurts its usefulness, although it does gain an immunity to Taunt. Better choices for your mega. Gains better bulk however.
-Feint
-Gravity if paired with the likes of Landorus-T
-Icy Wind
-Rain Dance and Sunny Day
-Confuse Ray

Checks and Counters

===================

**Taunt**: Fast Taunt users like Thunderous and Whimsicott can outspeed Sableye and use Taunt first.

**Fairy Type Attacks**: Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Azumarill can hit Sableye for Super-Effective damage and OHKO Sableye no matter how much investment is put into the defenses.

**Anti-Status**: Abilities such as Flash Fire or Guts can hinder Sableye's success. Also items such as Lum Berry can take away Burns from Will-O-Wisp. Safegaurd can completely prevent Status from occuring.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I was gonna do Tornadus then I learned that Sableye was not done so here it is.

Last edited:
AM Check.

Be aware that analyses should be out of WIP and become completed skeletons that are ready for QC within 24 hours of being reserved.

Overview
  • Mention that Sableye's excellent typing compensates for its poor bulk; three immunities and only one weakness.
  • Cite reasons you would use Sableye; what Pokemon does it beat. Physical attackers, fast attackers (Quash).
  • Feint is misspelt.
  • Sablenite is Other Options material so it should be mentioned negatively, if at all, in the Overview.
  • Remark on how Sableye stacks up against its competition such as Prankster Thundurus and Will-O-Wisp Gengar.
  • Remove two of the line breaks after your last point. There should only be one before the "[SET]" header.
Set
  • Quash is an amazing move and should get its own slot; it and Will-O-Wisp are the only non-negotiable moves.
  • Knock Off should be moved to Other Options and replaced with Foul Play.
  • Sableye with Helping Hand isn't legal because it's a Gen 3 Pokemon XD purification move.
  • Detect should be moved to Other Options. Giving up a support move for it is generally not worthwhile.
  • With the above points in mind, here's how I'd structure the set personally:
  • Safety Goggles is a tech item and should be moved to Other Options.
  • I'd keep the EV spread simple and use 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD. Survives Return and puts the rest into SpD.
    252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Sableye: 132-156 (84 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Set Details
  • Add a line break before your first point.
  • Comment on Sableye's Ability, even if it's obvious, as well as its item choices.
  • Mention using a Speed IV of 4/5 with Foul Play to KO Aegislash after it's changed to Blade forme.
Usage Tips
  • Indicate that Sableye should generally be brought out in the early-game; not kept in the back.
  • Caution the reader to identify Pokemon with abilities like Flash Fire or Guts from team preview to avoid activating their abilities with Will-O-Wisp on a switch-in.
  • "Recover safely" - What does this mean? It's very ambiguous so either expand on it, or remove.
Team Options
  • "Pokemon that beat common Taunt users because Sab is very slow" Sableye's low Speed is mostly a moot point against anything except other Prankster users, so talk about them specificly. For example, mention Pokemon that deal with Thundurus such as Lum Berry Terrakion.
  • Mention Pokemon with low or middling Speed like Sylveon and Heatran as they appreciate Quash.
  • Acknowledge Steel-types such as Aegislash, Mega Metagross and Bisharp as they check Fairies.
Other Options
  • Mention some pros and cons of using Sablenite. For example: increased bulk and immunity to Taunt as a result of Magic Bounce, but loses Prankster and there are generally better options for a Mega than a support Pokemon.
  • I don't personally like Choice Scarf with Sableye because it's too restrictive. It forces the user to use Trick if they want Sableye to stay on the field for more than a few turns. Items like Lagging Tail and Iron Ball are better options with Trick because Sableye generally doesn't care about being slower thanks to Prankster.
  • Embargo is a really bad move. Remove the mention.
  • Imprison isn't that great when Sableye has access to Feint to stop Protect. Remove it, and add Feint.
  • Add Confuse Ray. It makes a great alternative to Swagger.
Checks and Counters
  • Remove the line break between the two lines of the header.
  • Add a section for something like "Status Absorbers". Heatran is a big one as Will-O-Wisp activates its Flash Fire ability. Guts users like Conkeldurr and Hariyama also get an Attack boost from the move.

Last edited:
AM Check.

Be aware that analyses should be out of WIP and become completed skeletons that are ready for QC within 24 hours of being reserved.

Overview
  • Mention that Sableye's excellent typing compensates for its poor bulk; three immunities and only one weakness.
  • Cite reasons you would use Sableye; what Pokemon does it beat. Physical attackers, fast attackers (Quash).
  • Feint is misspelt.
  • Sablenite is Other Options material so it should be mentioned negatively, if at all, in the Overview.
  • Remark on how Sableye stacks up against its competition such as Prankster Thundurus and Will-O-Wisp Gengar.
  • Remove two of the line breaks after your last point. There should only be one before the "[SET]" header.
Set
  • Quash is an amazing move and should get its own slot; it and Will-O-Wisp are the only non-negotiable moves.
  • Knock Off should be moved to Other Options and replaced with Foul Play.
  • Sableye with Helping Hand isn't legal because it's a Gen 3 Pokemon XD purification move.
  • Detect should be moved to Other Options. Giving up a support move for it is generally not worthwhile.
  • With the above points in mind, here's how I'd structure the set personally:
  • Safety Goggles is a tech item and should be moved to Other Options.
  • I'd keep the EV spread simple and use 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD. Survives Return and puts the rest into SpD.
    252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Sableye: 132-156 (84 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Set Details
  • Comment on Sableye's Ability, even if it's obvious, as well as its item choices.
  • Mention using a Speed IV of 4/5 with Foul Play to KO Aegislash after it's changed to Blade forme.
Usage Tips
  • Indicate that Sableye should generally be brought out in the early-game; not kept in the back.
  • Caution the reader to identify Pokemon with abilities like Flash Fire or Guts from team preview to avoid activating their abilities with Will-O-Wisp on a switch-in.
  • "Recover safely" - What does this mean? It's very ambiguous so either expand on it, or remove.
Team Options
  • "Pokemon that beat common Taunt users because Sab is very slow" Sableye's low Speed is mostly a moot point against anything except other Prankster users, so talk about them specificly. For example, mention Pokemon that deal with Thundurus such as Lum Berry Terrakion.
  • Mention Pokemon with low or middling Speed like Sylveon and Heatran as they appreciate Quash.
  • Acknowledge Steel-types such as Aegislash, Mega Metagross and Bisharp as they check Fairies.
Other Options
  • Mention some pros and cons of using Sablenite. For example: increased bulk and immunity to Taunt as a result of Magic Bounce, but loses Prankster and there are generally better options for a Mega than a support Pokemon.
  • I don't personally like Choice Scarf with Sableye because it's too restrictive. It forces the user to use Trick if they want Sableye to stay on the field for more than a few turns. Items like Lagging Tail and Iron Ball are better options with Trick because Sableye generally doesn't care about being slower thanks to Prankster.
  • Embargo is a really bad move. Remove the mention.
  • Imprison isn't that great when Sableye has access to Feint to stop Protect. Remove it, and add Feint.
  • Add Confuse Ray. It makes a great alternative to Swagger.
Checks and Counters
  • Remove the line break between the two lines of the header.
  • Add a section for something like "Status Absorbers". Heatran is a big one as Will-O-Wisp activates its Flash Fire ability. Guts users like Conkeldurr and Hariyama also get an Attack boost from the move.
Inplemented.

Changed Status Absorber to anti-status.

also it was WIP cause i forgot to change it

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Dang Carbonific, you stole my thunder :(

Trelloant
Overview:
Sableye realistically only beats Kangaskhan, but not really Mega Salamence so I would change beat to cripple, just a small nitpick haha
Same goes for "can beat fast Pokemon with Quash", change beat to cripple
Remove Helping Hand mention in Overview
Remove mention of Sablenite in overview, OO stuff shouldn't really be mentioned

Set:
replace the spread you have with the one that Carbonific said. Also just as a heads up if you're doing future analyses, using 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD rather than actually typing out Defense, Special Defense, etc is much easier on yourself and GP tbh

Set Comments:
Give description for Quash, Swagger, and Foul Play
Remove Knock Off's description
Also for Fake Out's description, I would put something like "can immobilize an opponent's Pokemon for one turn, thus allowing Sableye's partner to potentially set up"

Set Details:
Remove "-Last 8 EVs are dumped into Attack and Speed to boost Knock Off and Fake Out."

Team Options:
Give examples of Pokemon that benefit from Quash and WoW support

Tag me once these are implemented and I'll give you a check :)

Dang Carbonific, you stole my thunder :(

Trelloant
Overview:
Sableye realistically only beats Kangaskhan, but not really Mega Salamence so I would change beat to cripple, just a small nitpick haha
Same goes for "can beat fast Pokemon with Quash", change beat to cripple
Remove Helping Hand mention in Overview
Remove mention of Sablenite in overview, OO stuff shouldn't really be mentioned

Set:
replace the spread you have with the one that Carbonific said. Also just as a heads up if you're doing future analyses, using 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD rather than actually typing out Defense, Special Defense, etc is much easier on yourself and GP tbh

Set Comments:
Give description for Quash, Swagger, and Foul Play
Remove Knock Off's description
Also for Fake Out's description, I would put something like "can immobilize an opponent's Pokemon for one turn, thus allowing Sableye's partner to potentially set up"

Set Details:
Remove "-Last 8 EVs are dumped into Attack and Speed to boost Knock Off and Fake Out."

Team Options:
Give examples of Pokemon that benefit from Quash and WoW support

Tag me once these are implemented and I'll give you a check :)
inplemented.

Moves
  • Change the order of the move desciptions to match their order on the set.
Set Details
  • You still need to mention Sableye's ability and item/s.
Usage Tips
  • Two of your points are in the wrong section:
    "Sableye is better when it is lead with." - in Moves
    "Beware of Guts and Flash Fire users..." - in Team Options
Team Options
  • Give specific examples of Pokemon that beat Prankster Taunt. Lum Berry Terrakion is good against most of them, and Pokemon such as Mamoswine and Mega Venusaur beat specifically Thundurus.
  • Rhyperior isn't a great example of a Pokemon that benefits from Quash because it often wants to be hit before it attacks to activate Weakness Policy.

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
whoops, I thought I checked this already but guess I forgot haha

"-Sableye is better when it is lead with."
"-Beware of Guts and Flash Fire users at Team Preview as they hinder Sableye's success."
Move those to Usage Tips

Team Options

What Carbonific said, examples of mons that beat Prankster Taunt, most notably Terrakion vs Thundurus
Middling Speed Tier mons that benefit from Quash: remove Aegislash and Rhyperior; add Charizard Y and Mega Garde

Hit me up again once they're implemented and I'll check it. Hopefully I actually remember this time lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)