SV OU Safety Hazard, a Hazard Stack Webs Team (Peaked #204, 1783 ELO)

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
pokemon_swsh___route_8__night__by_phoenixoflight92_de4kxyg-350t.jpg_token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJh...jpg

Safety Hazard
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. Introduction
2. Proof of Peak
3. Team + Description
4. Team usage tips
5. Threat List
6. Replays
7. Shoutouts + Art Credits
8. Importable

9. Outro

1. Introduction

Yo what's up, ever since the beginning of the Teal Mask DLC meta, I've absolutely adored how much webs seems to thrive in the meta, it certainly allows certain pokemon to shine, Gholdengo in particular was always big during the generation due to it's ability to entirely stop hazard removal, while still being an incredible threat on it's own.

However, when I decided on building my own webs team, i felt like I wanted to try something in particular, something different from other webs teams, which tend to set webs, then maaaaaaaaaybe spikes if they were running Hamurott. No I wanted to set as much hazards up as possible, stop the opponent's ability to remove them, then use the chip damage they generate to sweep with powerful sweepers.

All DLC I've tried laddering with different teams to no avail, this always ends up being the one I come back to, refine and then have a lot of success with, so I felt like I might as well display it and ask for any possible improvements :)

2. Proof Of Peak
1698772679402.png

3, Team + Description

:sv/ribombee: :sv/empoleon: :sv/gholdengo: :sv/great_tusk: :sv/greninja: :sv/iron_moth:

1698729582488.png

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- Psychic

A pretty barebones Ribombee set, nothing particularly special about it. Ribombee is going to be our lead about 70% of the time, and of those times it will use Sticky Webs on Turn 1 90% of the time. Stun Spore is usually it's best progress move after setting a sticky web, except if you like, have something weak to moonblast in front of you. Psychic is there almost exclusively to counter a Glimmora lead, which unfortunately forces you to Psychic turn 1, due to Mortal Spin, luckily we don't get poisoned though! Tera Ghost is simply to be used in extreme cases where we absolutely need to both set and spinblock webs (in front of a tera tusk for example)

1698729923687.png

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Flip Turn
- Roar
- Ice Beam

Somewhat of an unorthodox set with a lack of Roost, but Empoleon's main goal is threefold:

a) Set Rocks up
b) be a spdef pivot for our sweepers to enter
c) Roar out attempts at setup

Empoleon acts as a great switchin to a myriad of pokemon, particularly into :gholdengo:, :dragapult:, :clefable:, :iron_moth:, :manaphy:, :walking_wake:, :enamorus:, :greninja:, :heatran:, :tornadus-therian: and multiple more (focus blast Ghold and Torn exist, but sometimes we gotta just take that L). Roar is able to stop dangerous setup double dancers like :manaphy: and :cresselia: extremely reliably, as well as being a panic option if we want to sack Empo and fully deny mons like :iron_valiant:, :ogerpon-wellspring:, :dragonite: from setting up. Ice Beam is honestly just our best coverage option, hits :Gliscor:, :Dragapult:, :Great-Tusk:, :Dragonite:, :Rillaboom:, :Zapdos:, :Amoonguss:, :Enamorus:, :Tornadus-Therian:, and can even ohko most of them if we're able to get a competitive boost off.

Tera Flying is mainly for Great Tusk, but also ground types in general, like Gliscor and Landorus.

1698730808510.png

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Psyshock

Gholdengo is a pretty pivotal pokemon on webs, being fairly required due to it's nature in preventing hazard removal. Not only that but it acts as a crazy breaker for our team. NP/Shadow Ball/Make It Rain are fairly standard moveset options for it, however as a 4th move option, I've opted to run Psyshock, a move that crumbles stall teams like no other. A clodsire thought it was safe switchin in? 2hko'd, a Blissey thinks it can start CMing on you? Woopsie doopsy, get ohkod after a few NP's. It also ohko's Sneasler, and that's kinda nice.

The tera type is a bit questionable, but I wasn't quite sure what to run. Opted for Tera Fairy to at least being able to tank suckers from Kingambit and dent it for something else to sweep afterwards, has the bonus of usually beating Kingambit post-tera as well, given you have enough HP.

1698731419528.png

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Headlong Rush
- Bulk Up
- Ice Spinner

Our main physdef pokemon, as well as our only physical attacker! Great Tusk acts as our removal, which can be quite vital as Iron Moth and Greninja really do not appreciate getting chipped by hazards or slowed by sticky webs. Max speed is ran to outspeed max speed Gholdengo and Samurott-Hisui, while also speed tying with opposing Tusks, 128 attack guarantees an OHKO on full health 252 HP Gholdengo with Headlong Rush.

Great Tusk can turn into a potent wincon with Bulk Up + Rapid Spin, Ice Spinner is fairly necessary to chip Gliscors, while Headlong Rush is the Stab option of choice due to hitting Gholdengo. We run tera Dragon to check Rillaboom and Ogerpon-Wellspring, while also being a great panic option against both rain and sun teams, or simply if an iron moth is staring you down and thinks it has a free Fiery Dance or Energy Ball.

Boots might appear bad as an item choice, but it's extremely important, not getting affected by webs and tspikes is vital for Tusk to function, while being immune to spikes damage is great as well. Outspeeding Gholdengo is incredibly important if we wish to revenge kill it, while being poisoned puts us on a very difficult timer.

1698732141476.png

Greninja-Bond @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Greninja struck me as a pretty mediocre pokemon early gen, however I found it to be a pretty great fit on this team, due to it's great combo of high speed, spikes, powerful coverage as well as how good Battle Bond is on this type of structure.

Greninja's role is mainly to force switches, and by doing this, usually getting a few layers of spikes up, however it can definitely pick up Ohko's on it's own, and snowball as well unless the opponent has dedicated checks to it. Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse are generic coverage options, while Ice beam allows us to pick up an OHKO on Dragonite through multiscale after a battle bond boost, as well as hitting :rillaboom:, :amoonguss:, :enamorus:, :ogerpon-cornerstone:, :tornadus-therian: super effectively.

Tera Ghost is mainly used to act as a Dragonite check, becoming immune to Extreme Speed as well as denying a revenge kill from Zamazenta, it also denies spins from a potential opponent that feels gutsy and brings in a tusk to Tera.

1698732683677.png

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Fiery Dance
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute

Iron Moth is frankly an incredible offensive presence, and quite potentially one of the best webs abusers period. It becomes nigh unwallable outside of niche counterplay, and almost always holds it's weight (unless there's a heatran -_-).
Moveset is quite standard, Fiery Dance because boosts go brrrrrrr, Energy Ball to hit waters, Dgleam to hit dragons. Substitute is to be a somewhat reliable Kingambit check, as well as to generate free turns for setup if you're able to force a switch.

We opt for Tera Grass to lose our Water and Ground weaknesses, flipping the rain matchup on it's head as well.

4. Team usage tips
While we will find ourselves leading Ribombee most of the time to set webs up, you need to know when webs are either

a) Not useful
b) Going to be very hard to keep up

For instance, games where the opponent has a :iron_treads:, :weezing-galar: or a Hatterene, maybe it won't be the best game to lead Ribombee. Especially if it seems like the opponent is running an Iron Man structure, you have to realise that it might be the kind of game where you have to head in swinging early and dent the team as much as possible for one of the backup sweepers.

Greninja is an incredible lead in these kinds of instances, Ohkoing Iron Treads, as well as leading favourably against Gliscor. Any Gliscor team in their right mind will typically lead Gliscor t1, this allows you to lead Greninja and basically get a free Spike up due to Gliscor being forced to protect, and from there you can either go for a double switch or start breaking holes.

It's also very important to understand what are your wincons in a game, most teams will crumble to one of your mons if they're able to get their boosts, however some won't. This is why you need to understand which mons need to be chipped, and if the damage from hazards will be enough.

5. Threat List

:sv/hatterene:
Very tough pokemon to play against due to the nature of Sticky webs, you have to usually predict it coming in and abuse it with Gholdengo, and use the opportunity to break through the opposing team. However due to it, you might be forced to set webs later in the game, or even not at all.

:sv/greninja:
Even though we're running one, this mon blows through our team, if it gets a Battle Bond boost we're essentially forced into bringing our Moth in and hoping they don't read our Tera Grass and Ice Beam. It's usually a good idea to keep Empoleon healthy for emergency scenarios where we need to Roar it out.

:sv/hoopa-unbound:
So this hits like a truck, and due to most our team being special, we have a hard time breaking it aside from Tusk.

:sv/milotic:
A somewhat recent stall/BO development, but we also have a very hard time breaking through this if it has HDB, Mirror Coat and Haze stop us from setting up with Gholdengo, Moth and sweeping with Gren, and Tusk doesn't have a favourable matchup against it.

6. Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1980262082-lyr4sys2ot6snlwn4mu1wjh5hh8i58spw (VS Iron Treads HO Webs)
Played kinda sloppy, but GholdenGOAT makes a crazy 4-0 comeback at the end

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1980267494-o389d36l1sb2pl65nxpn773p4a08aixpw (VS Neutralizing Gas Weezing-G + Tera Water Gliscor)
Saw an early opportunity to win the game with BU Tusk, however had to deal with Tera Water Gliscor, once Weezing was sufficiently chipped, we were able to set up rocks and three layers of spikes, to allow Gholdengo to sweep in the endgame.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1980272117-jcbtde1do6taataw065q0i5qq9pcvuzpw (VS Hail)
Fairly simple early game, however get very unlucky with a freeze on Empoleon against Ninetales. This forces me to make an aggressive early game read, switching greninja in on Great Tusk, Hydro Pump kills it through Veil (Crit didn't matter) and gives us our battle bond boost. From there, Ice beam is always an ohko on dragonite unless it Teras, which it ends up not doing, and from there we Tera Ghost on the Zamazenta to secure the win, and a forfeit.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1980275918-ice3zvk6dkl1y7agf85u8jz27g4uu3wpw (VS unconventional BO with Hatterene)
Very tough game to win with Hatterene existing, I decide to lead Ribombee to counter a tusk or breloom lead but read wrong. Moonblast in case they think I web up and go Hatterene but i get punished. We get a layer of spikes up on Tusk thinking they'll switch, but they end up not doing so, which puts us in a dire situation. This ends up being one of the rare games we go for Tera Ghost Ribombee, since I saw two winning paths with Tusk and Gholdengo if we were able to get webs up, and I definitely expected them to stay in and try to spin the hazards. It ends up working in our favour as we read correctly, are able to get rocks up, and bring Gholdengo in for a sweep.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1980281681-xnq8uuucrkca521zy4a5gm5j0846lx6pw (VS Lead HDB Zama BO)
Very hard game where we get somewhat beat up by lead Zamazenta, I end up getting webs up, but figure out I have a very hard time killing this. I end up sacking Moth early to get chip on this, which would allow Ghold and Gren to clean it up later. However I then see that without having rocks or spikes up, Sash glimmora can come in and mortal spin, essentially denying us our sweep as well as losing the game if they pull it off. I end up going for a risky Tera Flying on Empoleon to guarantee Rocks go up, which is also in range for us to live the Stone Edge afterwards and Roar out the zamazenta. From there we kill the Zamazenta with Tusk and get great chip on Dragonite, allowing Gholdengo to revenge kill. We then carefully pivot around the Meowscarada, allowing our Greninja to go in, claim a kill, get it's boosts and OHKO the Kingambit, winning us the game.

7. Shoutouts

Pinkacross for the outline :P

Banner: @me :blobthumbsup:

Ribombee: @milk4ppl on Twitter
https://twitter.com/milk4ppl

Empoleon: @chanyorry on Twitter
https://twitter.com/chanyorry

Gholdengo: @nelnalium on Twitter
https://twitter.com/nelnalium

Great Tusk: @QBeuxVII22 on Twitter
https://twitter.com/QBeuxVII22

Greninja: @_alldough on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/_alldough

Iron Moth: @cosmopoliturtle on Twitter
https://twitter.com/cosmopoliturtle

8. Importable

9. Outro

This is by far the team I've had the most fun with and had the most success with all post-dlc, and I've become really attached to it. Although with recent trends in discussion, it appears like there might possibly be a Gholdengo ban discussion on the table, while I do love this team, I am still in the Ban Ghold camp, so I'll savour this team while it lasts :(

Please let me know if you have any improvements in mind!

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
why tf you playing mons not mafia ehmcee :(

sick team tho empoleon on this sort of thing's not an idea ive seen before (dont really play SV but still), not sure if its correct but cool idea at least

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
why tf you playing mons not mafia ehmcee :(

sick team tho empoleon on this sort of thing's not an idea ive seen before (dont really play SV but still), not sure if its correct but cool idea at least
WTF I SIGNED UP

A phazer is pretty unheard of on most webs structures, and Empoleon is probably the best fit on webs teams, having rocks is also incredibly good for it, as well as being a hardstop to Moth which otherwise is a tricky t1 counterlead for us.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
WTF I SIGNED UP

A phazer is pretty unheard of on most webs structures, and Empoleon is probably the best fit on webs teams, having rocks is also incredibly good for it, as well as being a hardstop to Moth which otherwise is a tricky t1 counterlead for us.
YOU SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO BE ON HERE OUTSIDE OF MAFIA BECAUSE YOURE A MAFIA PLAYER EHMCEE

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I want to rate this team, but may I ask what direction you want to take it in? Is sort of in the middle of Ho and Balance.
I think it's an interesting question, because webs teams traditionally tend to veer towards more of the HO type of builds. I'd say this is more geared to a fairly standard offense, if I had to gear it towards a specific archetype, it's definitely closer to something like Bulky Offense.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hello, I've got some pretty structural issues with this team, so I'm gonna lay them out first before making my suggestions.

At its core, I think Sticky Web+Hstack is a bad idea. Sticky web is already a teamstyle that gets screwed by cinderace, but you now throw on hazards which get court changed too? And your hazard setters are not particularly resilient to hazards (leftovers empo, LO gren) nor are they resilient in general. A pivot empo here is giving chances for opposing teams to spin with tusk or court change with ace, and it applies very limited offensive pressure+barely abuses webs. Finally, you don't even have a knock off user to actually remove boots and go about making any progress against a well built fat team (all good fat teams now are almost fully hazard proof).

My golden rule when building hstack is: you must win even if max layers are up on both sides. Take a look at a successful team like xavgb balance, ya got 4 boots+mg clef+gliscor, and the only hazard damage that entire team is taking is rocks biting gliscor and getting immediately healed off. Furthermore, you have gliscor and clefable to absorb knock offs so your team doesn't immediately fold to other hstack either. Not only are the best hstacks fully hazard proof, they also have some knock absorbers and a knock off mon of their own that can break through other common knock off absorbers (doesn't have to be immediate).

You are not going to fit all of that into this team, so the overall direction I would take this team is to embrace webs, reject hstack/BO. In this extremely competitive and balanced meta, sticky webs cheese is better than BO anyway lol.

So to that end, here's a few changes I'd get started with:
Sub Cm Enamorus > Empoleon gives you some soft ground resist, Ribombee+Balloon Gholdengo dont count, I think you need at least 1 real one. This also gives you a starting point to abuse the ever-present Gliscor, but most importantly: If NP Psyshock gholdengo is forcing Blissey to tera dark, you need to have something to take advantage of that. I think sub cm enamorus is not a bad way to start going about it. You are losing a pivot to many things like ghold, manaphy, heatran, torn-t, etc, but such pivots never belonged on HO to begin with.

Ogerpon-Wellspring > Greninja gives you a way to beat milotic, because you're right, this is a super milotic weak team so far. I also don't think greninja is really the best pokemon to fit on webs, as it's so fast that I feel like it rarely even needs the webs to begin with. Waterpon gives you some real unrivaled firepower, and subcm enamorus can pressure some overlapping checks like corviknight and amoongus. Tera Waterpon is also a very solid answer to things like Gholdengo, Heatran, Torn-t, Walking Wake, Rain, etc, and with Encore+SD, you are also covering your bases vs Acid Armor Tera Poison Manaphys.

On Iron Moth, I'm not opposed to keeping Iron Moth as booster speed to be faster vs some dangerous threats like boots zama/pult, but I think you should lean into checking them harder and go Tera Fairy > Tera Grass. At this point, you could also go Sludge Wave > Energy Ball to hit some neutral targets like Moltres, as you got some grass coverage with Waterpon already.

Finally, I think every Ribombee should be the following set:
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Skill Swap

Tera Steel+Psychic is key to keep your webs up vs glimmora and deny their Mortal Spin, allowing you to eviscerate opposing Glimmora HO by keeping webs up at the cost of your tera. If you predict correctly and Tera Steel+Psychic on their Mortal Spin after getting your webs up, you can also keep your sash intact. I prefer Tera Steel to Tera Ghost because your moonblast is ohko'ing tusk anyway, treads is rare, and mortal spin glimmora is common. Skill Swap lets you swipe magic bounce from Hatterene and get up webs vs that mon too.

I also prefer to go with a nice and greedy Booster Attack Tusk on webs like these, you already have Iron Moth to absorb Tspikes so just go ham pal.

Here's a pokepaste with all my edits: https://pokepast.es/babe0ffa2e068ea0
You know what, if you're realer than me, go modest on enamorus. You live offensive pyro ball from Cinderace from full and get a 56.3% chance to ohko back with earth power.
Hope it tests well, good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)