SV OU [Salt Bae] Garganacl BO [Peaked 2056 ELO TOP#7]

Vorulito

formerly PedroGreg
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Salt Bae.jpeg

=============================================================================================================
Hello again! since I returned to playing SV OU I've been wanting to play and test new things every day, and although I still consider this meta a bit flawed in some aspects, that didn't stop me from making a new RMT.
well, first of all and any other explanation, I'll leave my peak prof with another alt, because I like to get an account from 0 and see how far I can get with the team, going through some changes until I get to the one that becomes the most convenient and with the best results.

Screenshot_9.png
Screenshot_8.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEAM INTRODUCTION

This is a BO team to play over chip damage. being salt cure, poison (thanks to poison touch) and magma storm residual damage.
in addition to this constant damage especially in water and metal pokémon like :Kingambit: :Gholdengo: :Samurott-hisui: and among others you have protect + leftovers in 3 pokémon of your team to guarantee chip damage and sustain safely most of the time.
the team still has two great forms of speed control: :Dragapult: and :Sneasler: and a possible sweeper that also plays the role of spinner very well if your opponent has some weakened threats like :Zapdos: in particular.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This team's main idea is Garganacl which was my inspiration to start with.

934.png

:Garganacl: in addition to its excellent base stats, it has an amazing ability called Purifying Salt that makes it immune to negative statuses like toxic and even reduces ghost damage by half LOL because of that you end up having some security in dealing with :Dragapult: if this is Specs and has already been locked in shadow ball before and :gholdengo: after a tera water. if he doesn't have covert cloak.

Salt Cure is another great point of how good Garganacl is because you can deal with :Kingambit: :Samurott-Hisui: :Volcanion: if you are willing to use your tera water
in general you manage to cause 24% of the maximum hp every turn of water and steel pokémon that usually threaten him and you can still subdue them with tera.
not counting walls like :rotom-wash: :dondozo: and especially :Corviknight: that you are able to disable while they are on the field.

Garganacl.png

In general :Garganacl: is a very strong and complete pokémon, it is not uncommon for me to use tera water right at the beginning of the game with him to gain one of the best defensive properties in the game with only two weaknesses.
with the help of your moveset extremely focused on your survival, you are able to play your role of putting hazard on the field with ease and still be able to cause fixed damage to any pokémon thanks to salt cure, in case he can't kill you who has it always the advantage is you, because at one time he will have to leave the field.

some examples of how :garganacl: can be very annoying and unbearable to deal with.

0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Garganacl: 176-210 (43.5 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Garganacl: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

here we are simulating a situation where he faces two pokémon which he naturally shouldn't win, :Landorus-Therian: and :Great Tusk: but oddly enough he has a real chance of being able to survive even without needing tera and leaving the constant damage of salt cure accumulating with the help of protect + recover.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next chosen pokémon was Sneasler

903.png

:Sneasler: Is a pokémon that I didn't like very much at first, but I noticed a set that can be extremely useful when added to the salt cure of :Garganacl:
the secret is in your hability: poison touch, as you have a 30% chance to inflict poison on hit.
thanks to its high base speed + fake out + protective pads to deal with big threats like Static from :Zapdos: Flame Body from :Moltres: and Rocky Helmet from :Corviknight:

You can abuse him on the field several times and try to inflict poison, with the help of good pivots that you start to receive during the course of the game, he can either have a new opportunity to give poison touch (or use dire claw) if you think it is freer to use.
once you get the fix damage of Salt Cure + Poison, it starts to hurt in any pokémon, even more with the help of eventual protect´s.

Sneasler.png

Its moveset is not as aggressive as Swords Dance, which is very present in HOs, as its focus here is not to be a kind of sweeper, but an additional aid to provide chip damage throughout the match. it only takes u-turn for pivot and have one more chance of poison and close combat because it is STAB with great base damage, Dire Claw I think it goes without saying why I chose to use it.
In general he will almost always be your lead for being a very safe pokémon. thanks to its high speed, moveset and ability.
the biggest threats to start the game are going to be especially ghosts, like :Gholdengo: (possibly the biggest counter to sneasler) :Dragapult: which will outspeed you.
honorable mention for pokemons that must be taken care of, like Scarf :Enamorus: Band :Meowscarada: and :Greninja:
regarding the tera I leave it open for anyone to tell me which tera to use, because I really don't know which might be the best or a good option for him,i'm using fighting just for the great damage potential with CC, but if I used 2x it was too much
For the third option I opted for Heatran.

485.png

:Heatran: Is a pokémon that unfortunately is not in its glory days in this generation.
however, it's here on this team for several reasons, one of which is being able to masterfully deal with :Slowking-galar: a pokemon that completely ignores Salt Cure due to Chilling Recpetion + Regenerator and is immune to poison. moreover he takes very little damage from :Sneasler: which makes him practically immune to any kind of pressure from these two mons since he doesn't take chip damage. already against : Heatran: he is forced to give a Magma Storm turn for free or die trapped by the combination of Magma Storm + Taunt, preventing his opp from pressing with future sight.
Tera Water + Surf is irrelevant, since due to its absurd bulky you are able to win in 1v1 against it on switch + Stealth Rock dmg thanks to fixed damage from Magma Storm + Protect/Leftovers.
120 SpA Tera Water Slowking-Galar Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 164-194 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Another great common enemy of :Sneasler: and :Garganacl: Covert Cloak :Gholdengo: is easily walled by Heatran and like :Slowking-Galar: it dies or gives you a free Magma Storm.
+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 184-217 (47.6 - 56.2%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Heatran.png

In general :Heatran: is another way to deal chip damage throughout the game and gradually weaken your opponent, his whole set combos very well with Salt Cure/Poison similar to :Garganacl:, the big difference is that :Heatran: I usually play a little more aggressively for its kill potential, but if it is not possible to win a kill this will definitely not be of not bad, as my intention with this trio is to do as much chip damage as possible over the course of the game.

Some additional considerations regarding Heatran that I think are extremely worth mentioning that I noticed during my ascent and changes that I made in the team:

-He is a real threat to most stalls thanks to taunt, possibly because its usage has dropped drastically in relation to other gens I noticed that their preparation is not so good vs him, a pokémon that with this set has always been a reason for threat and need to have answers just for him in stalls.

-And of course, we can't forget to say how good the tera grass was for him, with that he is able to beat :Ting-lu: :Volcanion: :Walking-Wake: (the latter if used well the tera) and even same :Great-Tusk:
however in my view and what I've been playing Heatran's tera at least on this team should be used as an asset and in very specific situations, as generally using a tera water on :Garganacl: tends to be more interesting most of the time, since that he is going to be a kind of pillar to the team, due to the fact that he puts up a hazard and has a higher survival rate than him.
As the team already had 3 mons and the 3 had a common weakness: GROUND it was about time to have immunity to this.
because of that I chose :Rotom-Wash:

479_f3.png

You can't always rely on your tera just to defend yourself from one thing and not take 100x0, so it would be an absurd mistake to think that :Garganacl: and :Heatran: using that would be enough to deal with a more offensive :Great-Tusk: one :Landorus-therian: which depending on the set can even beat :Garganacl: and :Heatran:
Rotom comes in as a way to have immunity to Ground-type moves thanks to levitating and helping the defensive duo especially vs :Great-Tusk: when it starts to get out of control with a bulky up set.
thanks to its considerable bulky on the physical side, it can serve as a kind of "sponge" for this type of damage and "reset" the game.
:Zapdos: is another option I considered, but due to Ice Spinner from :Great-Tusk: :Rotom-Wash: it ends up being an option that plays an almost identical role with more security.

Rotom.png

Now regarding the set Hydro Pump for obvious reasons
Volt Switch because I'm safe to use it and restart the game with a volt switch if I'm under pressure.
protect to further abuse the chip damage strategy in addition to being very good and standard and perhaps the only point that is actually questionable here
TW>Wow.
although will-o-wisp is very good at dealing with physical pokémons thunder wave manages to stop some common threats and very easy to get out of control like: :Iron-Valiant: and :Baxcalibur:
this choice is really left to the discretion of anyone who is interested in the team
Regarding tera, I opted for water because it is a good defensive property in general and boosts my damage with hydro pump.
however I'm open to suggestions, because just like :sneasler: if I used 2x the tera on the rotom it was too much
As a fifth slot I added Specs Dragapult.

887.png

No wonder he's been one of the most used pokémon in the tier, he's the pokémon with the highest base speed and with few entries after a tera ghost+Shadow Ball.
in fact :Dragapult: deviates a little from the initial proposal of the team because unlike any other pokémon it is the only one that is not a kind of support/wall but a source of raw damage. usually it is used in the late game, if I can see that the gradual weakening of the enemy team is having success it becomes almost unstoppable after the tera ghost.

It is also possible to pivot with :Dragapult: thanks to a turn and come back with :Sneasler: to try to inflict poison again. this is a synergy focused on speed control thanks to the high base speed of these two mons when the game is still open and most of your opp's pokémon are still healthy.

dragapult.png

Its moveset is standard, two very strong stabs with preference to ghost for thinking that tera dragon despite the absurd damage in draco meteor is not a good choice since draco is not as spammable and safe to use as shadow ball and flamethower especially for :Kingambit: and u-turn to pivot if you want to continue with the dmg chip and think it's not the time for the pult to shine.

I noticed that unfortunately Specs Pult of the opening for :Kingambit: a very strong pokémon in actual meta after being locked in shadow ball or draco meteor.
which makes him win a free turn of SD, and everyone knows the absurd potential damage of this pokémon, because of that it was already more than clear which pokémon would close the team.
And to close the team I chose :Great-Tusk:

984.png

With its unbelievable bulky, ability to deal with :Kingambit: and cover the punishment of :Dragapult: and still be able to act as hazard control/sweeper (my God, this pokémon does everything) the choice ended up being inevitable.

Since I returned to playing SV I noticed the importance of sweepers in this current metal, with this set it is able to do that and still keep the field clean, in short you can choose the convenient way to play with it.

Great-Tusk.png

Its moveset consists of Ice Spinner with tera ice because I think it's essential for it. being able to destroy big common threats like :Enamorus: :Dragapult: :zapdos: after 1 bulk up and gain free setup on other more passive :Great-Tusk:.
EQ is used because it's STAB and doesn't have Headlong Rush's def and sp.def drop. it may be questionable EQ>Close Combat or Body Press but CC I don't like for the same drop factor and Body Press doesn't have such an immediate effect.
he initially came in as a pokémon to cover :Dragapult: and protect me from :Kingambit: but he has shown himself capable of setting up and destroying some games on his own since physical or passive pokémons have extreme difficulty in taking him down.
a great example of this is against :Dragonite: as much as he is a sweeper if he doesn't have ice spinner you only serve as a source of bulk up and spin for him as can be seen in the calculator.
252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 78-92 (17.9 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO
Conclusion

Very fun and functional team, fulfills its role well and still helps the :Dragapult: to shine. as well as always leaving :Sneasler: safely on the field to try to activate his ability more and more. some threats in particular that should be mentioned are for sure :Baxcalibur: if this one has Sub (very common with :Slowking-Galar: thanks to Chilling Reception:) keep in mind that if this Dragon Dance behind the sub safely good luck to stop it, the vast majority of the ones I saw came with tera ground, so try to play with :rotom-wash: on top of that or aggressive with :Dragapult: right from the start to punish this play thanks to infiltrator.
sub calm mind :enamorus: has a similar effect thanks to tera ground, so well-played turns from it can result in the death of many pokémon.
again, take advantage of infiltrator because the damage will still be high and the fact that your :Sneasler: is faster.
And :Kingambit: well played especially in the late game, if you miss the turns with Great Tusk you can be creating a monster.
if you have tera water with your :garganacl: and he is still healthy, try to play on the basis of the salt cure dmg chip. as shown throughout this RMT the team consists on this, you have many protects + a fake out to deal with him​

Thank you very much for everyone who was interested and followed another RMT of mine. again I leave it open to suggestions and constructive criticism and I will be making the team available to anyone who wants to test it:https://pokepast.es/3db7e662f8cd17c0

Vorulito

formerly PedroGreg
Hey, I'm looking into :garganacl: sets and my favorite one by far is the Curse set. Could you explain why you didn't choose to run it?
Thank you very much for the question, it is really very pertinent.
I also think the curse set is very good for :Garganacl: and from what I've been seeing it ended up being his most common set because it makes it extremely bulky and physically unstoppable.
however I chose Protect>Curse for the following reason:
Team synergy>Individual synergy.
this team works on the basis of the dmg chip, namely Poison Touch from :Sneasler: Salt Cure from :Garganacl and residual dmg from :Heatran:
Add that to Protect + Leftovers + Fake Out and you have a huge source of safely guaranteeing that chip dmg and still having sustain throughout the game making your walls more durable.
in a way although the Curse set is excellent it ends up not being as effective vs special attackers that are against :Garganacl: since you lose the healing safely from Leftovers + Protect.
it can be said that the thought given not using Curse is the same as not using Swords Dance on :Sneasler:, the intention is to play in the long term, weakening the opponent's pokemon as much as possible and healing myself as much as possible to finish with :Dragapult: afterwards

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This team works perfectly together, I think all the team members assist each other very well. It's funny to see the Protect + Stealth Rock on Nacl set being still used today in a meta that's changed a lot. It shows how valuable that set is. Have you considered Knock Off > Ice Spinner on Tusk? Not a hard suggestion just curious on what you think.

Anyway awesome team and thank you for posting.

Vorulito

formerly PedroGreg
This team works perfectly together, I think all the team members assist each other very well. It's funny to see the Protect + Stealth Rock on Nacl set being still used today in a meta that's changed a lot. It shows how valuable that set is. Have you considered Knock Off > Ice Spinner on Tusk? Not a hard suggestion just curious on what you think.

Anyway awesome team and thank you for posting.
Despite Knock Off being a very good move, I chose Ice Spinner for the immediate effect. especially for two direct threats to :Great-Tusk: that are very popular in the meta :Enamorus: :Zapdos:
And this choice also makes me beat other :Great-Tusk: if they also have bulk up and I start buffing myself first, in addition i have Leftovers, which is a great differential in this regard. because most of these sets are accompanied by booster energy.

what do you think of running hbd/spell tag on pult with hex instead of specs? viable or nah? could be more useful to bluff specs in certain situations.

I'm using this team to get reqs and I'm finding rain cheese teams to be extremely annoying. Any tips for dealing with them? I know teraing Garganacl helps.

is there any other options to gt? (gt is banned from a tourney im playing and i cant think of a great option)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)