SM Ubers Sand Offence (1000th Post RMT)

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
1000 posts. Damn. I clearly need more of a life.

I've found the SM Ubers meta harder than ORAS. Not to say that the meta changed that much, or that drastically, but I've found myself constantly building teams that I'm simply not happy with. More likely than not, I'm just struggling in a meta that is similar to ORAS in many ways, with just enough subtle differences that I just dont get yet, and it'll just slowly come together over the next couple of months until I'm happy with my own teams again.

Until then, I'll just struggle on with having only a couple of teams that I'm actually satisfied with. This happens to be one of them. That's not to say the team is flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but most of the things that the team is weak to come down to play rather than teambuilding, and while I'm weak to a +2 +2 speed and attack groudon, it's also setting up on jack shit unless I act like a pussy and switch out against it while using an offense team.

Teambuilding Process

I wanted to start off with Sand because I personally always like Sand, and it's not that bad in this Meta, with strong Ground type moves being as good as ever, and TTar helping me deal with Mega Gengar, Yveltal and Scarf Lunala, frequent problems for my teams and it's nice to not have to worry much about them. I went with SD Air Balloon Excadrill because I wanted to have something very strong that can take on bulkier walls much more than I wanted to have hazard control, and Air Balloon helps against Double Dance Pdon, easily taking a +2 Stone Edge and having the psuedo-immunity to Ground. Given the lack of Life Orb, I decided to go with Adamant, the extra power is nice and unless people start running scarf Pheromosa in Ubers as well as OU, adamant is more than enough to outspeed everything in Sand. The TTar set is my rocker, as well as having Pursuit for the problematic ghost types, Stone Edge to help against Yveltal and have generally good coverage for when I want to attack things, and Toxic, to enable TTar to not be setup fodder for a number of PDon sets, as well as helping TTar keep rocks up.​

Next up came Arceus-Ghost. One of the first things I tried out with the new Zmechanic with Arceus formes was this thing, and I still feel that this is the best Z Crystal Arceus (not that it has much competition). I went with a pretty standard set of Shadow Force, Brick Break and Espeed. Espeed is due to Deo-A being really strong in this meta and I like being able to kill it, as well as helping me check some stuff if they are incredibly weakened (such as RP Pdon/Geoxern), Shadow Force gives me a nuke, and the previous disadvantage of it taking 2 turns is less of a point now that it has a 1 time 1 turn nuke, which is also why I didn't bother with Shadow Claw. Brick Break is for Dark and Normal coverage, helping it break past Darkceus and help me checking Ekiller, while Offensive Yveltal has a decent chance to drop to a +2 Never Ending Nightmare after Rocks Damage.

At this point I didn't have a Pdon, so I put a Pdon on the team. I'm liking the mixed RP set a lot recently, so I went with that, and it also gives me a nice breaker that can help lure in Ground Type checks and nuke them with a Fire Blast for Excadrill to try to sweep later. HP Ice was my choice over Dragon Pulse because being able to 2hko a standard Zygarde Complete is nice, and it can do a hefty chunk to regular Zygarde too, narrowly missing out on the KO, but wearing it down is very nice for Excadrill. It loses a little bit of power against Giratina-O, but Zygarde is a much bigger defensive threat than Giratina-O. The speed is just a bit of creep and the ability to outspeed scarf timid lunala, but more importantly it means that I'll very frequently be capable of outspeeding things on Balance that dont speed creep as much and just start nuking stuff. Given the presence of Sand and Priority, I didn't feel the need to invest at all in Spdef, and simply chucked the rest of the EVs into Attack so I can do more damage to stuff like Kyogre and Blisseys and other Pdons.

Now here you can have the choice between fun and practical. If you want fun, which is what the set in the importable will be, you go life orb ray. If you want practical, you go charti sd without Draco Meteor. Charti SD covers a lot of PDon Sets, including all but one which also beat Excadrill. RP 3 attacks physical can get stopped by Ray when it goes past Excadrill, and Charti Ray provides a bit more defensive security against that set in particular, while also being a threat because it's still a SD Rayquaza. Life Orb on the other hand sacrifices some defensive utility for nuking yet more checks to Excadrill, with VCreate being a good lure to kill Celesteela, Draco Meteor nuking Zygarde, and its sheer power from Dragon Ascent and Draco Meteor blowing past Supportceus that try to switch in on it. A stronger Espeed also provides a bit better defensive coverage against some threats like Geoxern and Deo-A, which can come in clutch. Naive is the nature of choice on the Life Orb set (obviously Charti would be Jolly) because you will occasionally take physical hits that you can live (ie: +2 Groudon's Fire Punch) which a hardy nature would turn into a roll after Life Orb damage, and if you encounter a special attacker in ubers it's going to probably kill you anyway. The only notable exception to this I've found is Mega Gengar's Sludge Wave after Rocks, but there's a TTar there to switch in on Gengar before it megas anyway.

Finally I added a Mega Lucario, a personal favourite of mine and the Mega that is most improved in the transition into ORAS, benefiting greatly from the nerf to Mega Mence and the buff to Dark and Fairy types. Adamant or Jolly are up to the user, I prefer the breaking power of adamant, especially on this team where certain threats cannot be allowed free setup, however Jolly can help against some Arceus formes that speedcreep Adamant Lucario, and outspeeding Yveltal is nice. All of this thing's moves are pretty self-explanatory, but I chose this instead of something like a Gengar or a Salamence in favour of the sheer immediate power it provides, while also not stacking types with Rayquaza.

The Team
Sand Offense .png

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Excadrill the Sand Abuser, SD to set up against teams where Exca can afford to and also gives exca some utility in some stall matchups when the supportceus has died. Dual Stab gives good coverage, and Iron Head is necessary given that Sand is one of the main ways of dealing with Xerneas that this team uses, and Rock Slide helps against Ho-oh, Lugia, Mega Mence and other flying types. As mentioned in the teambuilder section, Adamant is the nature of choice to hit as hard as possible to compensate for the lack of life orb, while air balloon helps excadrill have some vague sense of defensive value, by letting it check double dance pdon.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Toxic
- Stone Edge

TTar sets the Sand for Excadrill to abuse, Rocks frees up my PDon slot to be more offensive, which this team really wants, Pursuit to trap the Ghost Types, most specifically Scarf Lunala which is a huge threat to this team otherwise, Toxic helps wear down things like Supportceus that come in to defog, setup sweepers like Ekiller and Groundceus which dont think Ttar can touch them, and is nice to hit Primal Groudon with to wear it down, while Stone Edge helps TTar check Yveltal, while making it avoid being setup fodder for things like Salamence.​

Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Force
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Brick Break

Arceus Ghost is the team's main way of breaking open holes in opposing teams, with Shadow Force and the Ghostinium Z combining to give an incredible one time nuke to stuff, being capable of OHKOing even resists at +2 after Rocks, and Shadow Force is still a very strong move in it's own right. Also checks Ekiller for the team, and is one of 3 priority users to help defensively against a threatening sweeper.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 Atk / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Precipice Blades

RP Mixed Pdon is an absolute Menace at the best of times, and Fire-Ground-Ice hit the entire tier for at least neutral damage. Pretty standard stuff for a mixed Pdon, and gives a good tool against both Balance and Stall, who will frequently struggle to deal with the combination of Physical and Special coverage.​

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create

The second of the Priority Trio, Ray's really powerful espeed helps keep a lot of offensive threats in check. The other three moves maximise coverage options to take down checks to Excadrill and Mixed PDon.

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch

Final member of the Priority Trio, the strong bullet punch means that even if I have sacked off my Sand early on, I still have insurance against Xerneas, which literally cannot set up against anything aside from the TTar, and TTar being in should mean that Sand is up for Excadrill to revenge kill it. Triple STAB is obvious, and the immediate power this thing brings is very nice, while this also turns my matchup against Stall from iffy to good.​

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Toxic
- Stone Edge

Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Force
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Brick Break

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 Atk / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Precipice Blades

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch

Shoutouts will be mostly ubers focused, would take longer than the actual RMT if otherwise.

SUS:
Hack: Great TL, battler, and all round guy, now plz ban BP so I can use this without losing to it.
Gunner Rohan: GGunner, doing well thus far in SPL, keep it going, and lets hope that we can finally watch a game live together so I can have you on my channel again.
Edgar: Old Friend dominating again, its so good to see you doing well in SuMo, especially seeing how much you like it compared to ORAS.
Astounded: Plz dont quit after SPL, it's a lot more fun when you're here then when you're not. Also plz start playing at around midday your time again, it was helpful for me to watch your games live.
Tony: I'm holding you to the promise that you will upload to ur channel again at some point. Also, what u said about uu was correct lol.
Mr.378: Or Mr.4-0 m8, good to see you dominating SPL players as much as you do me when I play u in GSC, makes me feel better about losing. It's such a fun metagame and thanks a lot for getting me into it.

More general Ubers community:
shrang: Meeting up is fun, lets do it again. Also, lets build a trick room team later this month when Mawile gets released y/n?
Pohjis: I remember when you were still a new user and I could beat you drunk. I miss those days, we need to call more.
Lord Outrage: Oldest friend on the site, I hope you do choose to stick around after SPL is done, ubers can be a bit boring without you sometimes.
James Jimmy: Its a shame that you left, but was probably for the best after everything.
Fireburn: Good TL, would be great if u could just ban bp already!
Nayrz: Ur a good dude, sorry that I've not been as active in the Analysis subforum as I intended, I'll do a few more in the next couple of weeks.
Lacus Clyne: Its nice to see that you're picking up after a poor start to SPL, keep up the momentum :].
Level 56: the only 4-0 Ubers player, u deserve it man. We've been friends for ages, I want to keep that going.
ShadowQuinn: Not seen you since before SPL started, where've u been squinty?
Krauersaut: U've improved a lot as a user, that break in particular worked well imo, and its nice to see that ur not being shat on so much.
zf: It's kinda a shame that u cant play ubers, even tho i know u wanted to before the season started, but ur still a great player, and it's a testament to your ability that you're spl quality in 2 completely different tiers. Also: We need to adv some time.
SparksBlade: Aside from seemingly being pissed at me whenever I'm on, I consider you a good friend.
Klefkwi: Been v impressed with ur attitude and output in the community over the last couple of months.
Dominatio: U've taken to SM like a fish to water. How? What is ur secret?
The Trap God: I hope you get bought at mids, thanks for being civil whenever I talk to u about stuff.
Californium: Ik you dont really like SM, but I still like talking with u when we're both on. And laughing at Gunner for thinking we sound the same.

Keeping that a relatively short list of people I interact with on a somewhat frequent basis, here's a couple others.
Teddeh: See you in June. Message me on Fb when ur free, been a while now.
njnp: Its good to see you doing well in SPL despite people not liking you, although Bless Up is the single worst thing to ever happen in mons. That's including Bloo and Haunter.
GrilledClawitzer: Given that UU is the only tier to ban BP, and it's now official, you'll be seeing a lot more of me in the near future :D.

Classiest people: Thanks for letting me hang around in the discord, you're all cool guys, even though your combined luck is less than that of a dude struck by lightning.

I feel Lucario is out of place here. Not only do you already have a good Darkceus check in TTar, it also forces you into running a way too Pdon weak composition because you can't use Mence.

Also, while this team has a lot of strong physical attackers, you'd probably beat your hands bloody trying to break stall. Though I wouldn't say it has no chance vs fatter stuff, I can't really see any synergistic benefits of running so many offensive threats. An example would be that Arceus-Water/Ground are seemingly impossible for this team to break due to lack of toxic/toxic immune attackers with a good match up vs these two.

For me it certainly feels you could go Mence > Lucario and then change Ray to a mon that brings more support to the table. Hard to think of such a thing rn tho.

GL with everything man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)