sand stall team: Hipowdon's revenge

Do you think I should use 252 SpA on my Aegislash?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HIPPOWDON'S REVENGE
A first look of the team:

Hey what's up people? Since Gensect got banned I've testing a lot of stuff so after a month I decided to create a new team that was suposed to be a balanced but accidentally I created a stall team that works pretty well.

Stall teams are so boring but because stall is easy to play for me I decided to test the team more and after like. After like 170 battles I noticed that something was wrong because I was stuck at 1500+ points on the ladder so I tought that doing a RMT, with the rates, I will start to get more points on the ladder.

Teambuilding process:
Hippowdon is my favourite pokemon for sand team so that's why I choosed it.
I was the only one that took Venusaur in pokémon X/Y. My friends took Blastoise and Charizard. Venusaur-M was going to help against rain teams so it was a good idea to use it.
Venusaur is weak to Fire and Charizard was a problem so I tought Heatran was a good idea.
Landorus was a perfect wallbreaker and was able to take advantage from sand stom.
I tought Alakazam-m, Alakzam, Gengar and Lati@s could be a problem so I added Scizor.

I tought Keldeo scarf was a good idea for that team because it was a check vs dragon types and wasable to revenge kill Landorus / Landorus -I and Garchomp.

(It's Rotom-W). Because I tought I needed some electric moves I tought Rotom-W was a good option on my team to check rain teams but it's was useless expect for the Will-o-Wisp.

After that I started to test the team and after a few suggestions of some player and testing a lot I decided to change some things.

The changes:

Because Rotom-W was doing nothing I decided to try Tentacruel who has Rapid Spin so I that would help me to change more my pokemon in battle. I was also having problems with Aegilash. I didn't had a solid change into the Stab Shadow ball and some of them had Flash Cannon Predicting my Landorus-I but Tentacruel wasn't the solution for that problem.

Aegislash was a good ghost pokemon that was goign to help vs Medichamp-m that was making some trouble being able to defeat Venusaur, Heatran and sometimes Landorus. Landorus was doink ok vs Medichamp-m but for some reason I decided to try Aegislash.

Some people said that my team 'was cool' but that it was so bad that I was't abusing sand Storm so I decided to try Garchomp that was a cool-looking powerfull dragon with the EQ stab.

I was still having problems with Aegislash so I asked for some help. After debating with some poeple what could substitute SpD defensive Jirachi wishpasser this gen and asking for a Aegislash check I choosed to use Umbreon on my team that was going to help with that problem.

After the suggestion I noticed that Latias was perfect to solve part of my huge threats.

A closer look of the team:

Hippowdon:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

This set trades the ability to handle some special Pokemon and to fare better against weather inducers to become the most physically bulky Pokemon in OU. Hippowdon is able to wall the strongest physical attackers in OU, such as non-Choice Band Terrakion, Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Swords Dance Lucario. Earthquake hits many of the Pokemon that Hippowdon walls for super effective damage and is a strong attack that prevents any offensive Pokemon not resistant or immune to it from setting up on Hippowdon. Hippowdon can force many Pokemon out and has reliable recovery, thus making for a very reliable Stealth Rock setter. Whirlwind prevents anything that doesn't care about Hippowdon's attacks from setting up and works well with entry hazards.

Venusaur:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed​

With Venusaur's decent 80 / 83 / 100 defensive stats and respectable Grass / Poison typing, giving it resistances to Water-, Grass-, Electric-, and Fighting-type attacks, it is more than capable of employing the well-known Leech Seed + Poison strategy to act as a staller. The SpD ev's are taken form the sandard set and also helps me to check some special attackers like Landorus-I or Thundurus-I that can't a lot of damange from Sludge Bomb or Greninja that is weak to grass moves.
The reason why I'm using Leech seed over Synthesis is because I'm using a sand team, and under the sand storm Synthesis is less effective so I recover lees Hp and I don't want that.
Since I noticed I had problems with some leads like Ferrothorn I started to use Hp [Fire] wich can 2HKO both mega and normal Scizor and Ferrothorn.
Sludge Bomb helps vs Fairy type walls like Sylveon or Clefable, so I stop them from spamming CM all the time expecting to sweep.
Also remeber that Sludge Bomb has a 30% chance to poison so I don't I need Toxic for that reason.

Umbreon:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Wish​

This set capitalizes on Umbreon's team-supporting potential. Umbreon can switch into many special attackers in the tier and can comfortably use one of its team-supporting moves. Wish can restore 197 HP to a teammate and keeps Umbreon's team in a good fighting condition. Foul Play is Umbreon's best attacking option, as even special attackers like Lati@s have higher Attack stats than Umbreon. Furthermore, Foul Play can deal significant damage to physical attackers that try to exploit Umbreon's lower Defense stat. Foul's play also makes Aegislash King's shield seem ridicolous. The ability to remove status with Heal Bell is very useful, as it can give a crippled sweeper a second chance to sweep. This also works very well with Synchronize, as Umbreon can heal its status condition after inflicting it on the opponent. However, Umbreon can trade the ability to clear status for the ability to inflict it with Toxic. Between Wish and Protect, Umbreon can quickly build up Toxic damage and wear down Pokemon that can't deal significant damage to it. Protect allows Umbreon to scout the opponent's next move, take better advantage of Wish and Yawn by negating the charging turn, and build up Toxic damage. However, if your opponent predicts your Protect turn, they could use it to set up a sweep.
Umbreon's iv's and nature are to maximise Foul's Play damange.

I also added Taunt for Ferrothorn / Chansey / Skarmory so I avoid being stalled

Aegislash:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

Stance Change is Aegislash's signature ability, and with thoughtful play it essentially allows Aegislash to change between being a Deoxys-A and a Deoxys-D at will. When Aegislash makes a move, before it completes its move it will change form depending on the type of move used. If it is a damage dealing move, Aegislash will change into its Blade Forme, an extremely powerful but frail mixed attacker. If it uses King's Shield, then it will revert back into Shield Forme, an extremely bulky mixed wall. Other non-damaging moves do not cause a form change. Note that Aegislash is by default in Shield Forme, and will be in Shield Forme when switched in.

Aegislash is my mixted sweeper. With Shadow ball I can 3HKO physical walls such as Skarmory and Hippowdon. Sacred Sword hits Greninja, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn.

The main threat for Aegislash is Mandibuzz, who is capable to take all Aegislash's moves and has Foul's Play to defeat it.

I'm using a 252 Atk version of Aegislash because I think It's a better choice since I use Shadow Sneak

Garchomp:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dual Chop
- Earthquake​

Choice Scarf Garchomp noticeably lacks the immediate wallbreaking power of his other sets, but is one of the fastest Pokemon in the game, outspeeding almost everything aside from Choice Scarf Latios and Choice Scarf Terrakion, and is hence an effective revenge killer. Outrage is his main move once certain threats are removed. STAB Earthquake hits most Steel-types hard, while he can pick between Stone Edge, Aqua Tail, and Fire Blast for coverage. Stone Edge allows Garchomp to revenge kill the likes of Volcarona,Thundurus-T and Talonflame without locking himself into Outrage, while Fire Blast 2HKOes Skarmory, something Fire Fang does not accomplish. Dual Chop has the same power as Dragon Claw, but has the added benefit of breaking Substitutes and also can help to break Dragonite's Multiscale. However, Dragon Claw is still an option due to Dual Chop's lower accuracy.

Latias:

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 132 SDef / 28 Spd
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

This set is incredibly tailored but it can't be helped. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam give the famous bolt beam coverage. It also presents the best hit to Landorus-I, Thundurus-I and azumarill, all who seem to be problems in different ways. These two attacks make sure mandi can never switch in with ease. Togekiss, Charizard-Y receive an extra check, too. The spread is tailored so that Lando-i's HP Ice fails to 3HKO after stealth rocks and you outspeed Bisharp jolly (this just makes knock off worthless and makes the prediction of pursuit/knock off/sucker punch a bit more manageable). Defog hazard clears, roost mandatory... This will be your best option to get an EQ immune as skarm isn't going to help vs Landorus-I.

Old team member:
Tentacruel:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

This set excels at spinning away hazards for both balanced and stall teams alike. Unlike other users of Rapid Spin, Tentacruel is able to absorb Toxic Spikes, facilitating its work as a spinner. Tentacruel isn't limited to spinning either—it can spread status and stall out many threats.

Although Tentacruel has access to Toxic Spikes, Toxic is still the preferable move. This is because many teams benefit more from the immediate poison, and there are also many Flying-types and Levitate Pokemon that can only be poisoned by Toxic. Toxic also has other advantages, such as allowing Tentacruel to consistently defeat most relevant spinblockers in rain. Nevertheless, Toxic Spikes is still a viable option, and Tentacruel has a niche as one of the few viable users of this move. Toxic Spikes is preferred on stall teams, or when using a sweeper that benefits from certain walls being crippled, particularly those with Natural Cure.

The third slot goes to Scald, the best STAB move that Tentacruel can run. It has the same power under rain as a Hydro Pump outside of rain and has a 30% chance to burn the target, discouraging Pokemon such as Gyarados and Dragonite from switching in, even though they resist the move. The move in the fourth slot depends on your preference. Protect is the main choice, as it allows Tentacruel to stall for more Black Sludge + Toxic. Protect also has the ability to scout Choice users and stop SubDisable Gengar from ruining your day.

The reason why I'm using Liquid Ooze over Rain Dish is because it helps vs Leech Seed / Gigadrain users such as Venuaur-m so I force them to switch and also because rain got nerfed a bit this gen.

Also Toxic + Liquid Ooze helps vs Conkeldurr since Thunderpunch is very rare.

OU significant Threats:

S Rank
:

:
It has the sun stab Fire Blast and also Solarbeam.
Umbreon
can wall it unless it has Focus Blast and he / she predicts.
Latias can check.

:

:

: If it doesn't have Hp [Flying] I can check it with Venusaur.

A Rank:
:

:

:

:

:
If it doesn't have EQ I can use Tentacruel.
:

:
Latias can check.
:

:

:

:

:

:

A Rank
:
If it doesn't have knock off Aegislash can wall it.
:

:

:

:
Venusaur
is a check but Ice Beam hits hard.
:
If it doesn't have Bounce I can try to check it with Venusaur.
Latias can check but Ice Fang is a problem.
:
Hp [Flying] is a thing but isn't very common.
:

:

:

:

:

:

:

A- Rank
:

:

:
If it doesn't have Bounce I can try to check it with Venusaur.
:

:

:

:

B+ Rank
:
Giroball does some damange but Hp [Fire] 2HKO's.
:

:
Aegislash
pretty much walls it unless Gardevoir-M has Hp [Fire].
:

:

:
Latias checks.
:
Latias checks.
:

:

B Rank
:

:

:

:
It can make some trouble with overheat and has volt switch.
:

:

:
Latias checks. (CM version for Slobro with Ice Beam is a thing).
: No kidding, I don't rememeber facing one and I've done like 170 battles or more with that team.
:

:
Hippowdon can whrilwind but risks a Gigadrain. SR helps vs Volcarona too. Adding Toxic to Tentacruel can be an option to solve that problem.

B- Rank
: I guess Hippowdon can wall it. I don't remember facing that mega.
:
It has no recovery so it's all about spaming EQ.
:

:
Latias is a good option but fears a Spore.
:

: Never faced one. I guess Tentacruel is the better option.
: Sticky Web is a thing. Venusaur with Hp [Fire] is the better option. Hippowdon ca be good to if it doesnt' have Gigadrain.

:
I can also use Leech Seed and stall with Venusaur.
:

:
Because it can learn Zen Zen Headbutt and Psychic I don't think Tentacruel is a safe option.
:

:

:

: Never faced it but I guess the option is Umbreon. Trick can be a problem.
Latios walls it.
:

:

:

:

: Paraflich is annoying but I can try to revege kill with Garchomp's SE or try to burn it with Tentacruel.
:

C Rank (DON'T OPEN, YOU ARE WARNED)

Because I know you won't probably read all I'll post the most significant threats here:

:
It has the sun stab Fire Blast and also Solarbeam.
Umbreon can wall it unless it has Focus Blast and he / she predicts.
Latias checks.

:
Hippowdon walls and Whirlwinds. SR damange helps too.
Garchomp scarf outspeeds Zard-X and checks with SE but It's to risky to do it.

: If it doesn't have Hp [Flying] I can check it with Venusaur.
Latias checks.

: If it doesn't have Bounce I can try to check it with Venusaur.
Latios can check but Ice Fang is a problem.

: Aegislash pretty much walls it unless it Gardevoir-M has Hp [Fire].

: Paraflich is annoying but I can try to revege kill with Garchomp's SE or try to burn it with Tentacruel.

:
Hippowdon can whrilwind but risks a Gigadrain. SR helps vs Volcarona too. Adding Toxic to Tentacruel can be an option to solve that problem.

:
It can make some trouble with overheat and has volt switch.

Synergy of the team:

and
: Umbreon can take ghost type moves and Aegislash can take Fighting type moves.

and
: Hippowdon is weak to water but Venusaur can take water type moves.

and
: Umbreon is inmune to Psychic moves and Venusaur has some bulk to take ground moves and resists electric moves.

and
: Umbreon is weak to fighting but Latios resists fighting type moves.

and
: Garchomp is weak to ice moves but Aegislash can take ice type and dragon type moves.

A important thing to mention is that with the changes, now I have nothing that can resists bug type moves but because of the bulk of my pokémons It isn't a problem.

A final conclusion:

That's a very fun team to play but it needs a lot of patience and skill to use it. I've never build a stall good stall team since now so I think It's good to share the team with the smogon community.

Greetings to:

Zibbity: So now I know I can olny Bump once (LOL).
GlassGlaceon: For giving a A to my team (Thanks xD)
Joyfeather69: Well, you tried but I had Outrage on my Chomp :P.
Toxins: Mentioning that Charizard-X was a huge threat, so I added it on my Threat list. (Yeah, Zard-X can make some problems so It's all about prediction as you said :D). And for the 252 SpA suggestion.
Ajwf: For the incredible Latias set. (Thanks Ajwf!!! :D)
Zerkrenzo: For suggesting Poison Jab on Garchomp (I'm not going to put Poison Jab on Garchomp but I would take that in mind for possible future teams).
And to every that voted to my poll that also helped me on the Aegislash set. I also tested Aegislash a lot to see what was better or not.

If anyone wants to rate more feel free to do it. Any help is apreciated but I don't see many treaths now. I think the team is now completed.

Importable version:
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dual Chop
- Earthquake

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play
- Protect
- Wish

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 132 SDef / 28 Spd
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Oh, thanks Zibbity. Well, I wanted to see If anyone could give me some suggestions. I should probably run 252 SpA since 4 people voted ''yes''.

Last edited:
I recommend running Outrage instead of Dual chop on your Chomp', because of it's higher power and for the fact that it's already scarfed

Well I guess the team is so good or something? xD.

I'm not really having a lot of issues but idk, If anyone wants to test the team feel free to use it.

Your pokemon cover eachother's downsides very well, I can't find a single pokemon that would completely eat up this team.

Mega Charizard X might be a problem sometimes, but your Umbreon can check if the charizard isn't at +1. If it is, then this happens:
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 360-424 (91.3 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO.

So, it's not really a switch in. However, if a mega zard sets up on you, foul play does quite a bit. (
+1 0 Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 213-252 (71.4 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

Same thing with Hippo, you can't switch it in or it's a guaranteed 2 hit KO.

So yeah, mega zard-x might be a problem but that's seriously nothing, just sack and switch. (Not sure if garchomp scarfed outspeeds charizard at +1 so don't quote me on that.)

So overall, a very solid team, good work man.

Here, your issue is pretty obvious: You have a weak link in tentacruel. Just looking through your threat list, it's a bit tacky. You need a defogger, probably not Mandi anymore... You SERIOUSLY need an EQ immune because as of right now you eat every Landorus that comes your way. Go with a bulky latias spread.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 28 Spd / 132 SDef / 248 HP / 100 Def
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

This set is incredibly tailored but it can't be helped. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam give the famous bolt beam coverage. It also presents the best hit to landorus-i, thundurus-i and azumarill, all who seem to be problems in different ways. These two attacks make sure mandi can never switch in with ease. Togekiss, Charizard-Y receive an extra check, too. The spread is tailored so that Lando-i's HP Ice fails to 3hko after stealth rocks and you outspeed Bisharp jolly (this just makes knock off worthless and makes the prediction of pursuit/knock off/sucker punch a bit more manageable). Defog hazard clears, roost mandatory... This will be your best option to get an EQ immune as skarm isn't going to help vs lando-i.

Good luck.

Hey tanks for suggestion me Latias Ajwf , I will try it :D. I know that Latias is pretty good but I just need how it works with the entire team xD.

Also I think Latias should have a Surf on Latias. I will have no water moves.

Last edited:
You can take out Dual Chop from Garchomp and put Iron Head/Poison Jab to kill Fairies
You can also use Toxic Spikes over toxic on Tentacruel if you want to stay with him
Aegislash could have a Quiet Nature and 252 SpA EVs so Shadow ball will hit like a truck. Aegislash doesn't need Spe so don't worry about that, it's even better if it gets outslow so it takes hit when on the shield form reducing the damage taken

Great team overall

Zekrenzo Thanks for the rate too :) but I don't want to change my Garchomp's moveset since it works pretty well. On the other hand I think It's a good idea for some dragons to have poison or steel type moves in some cases. Also I have Sludge Bomb on my Venusaur-Mega for fairy type coverage and stab so I don't think I don't really need Poison Jab. Anyway thanks.

After that I'm going to mention all the change I've made on my team:

Changed Umbreon as possible Charizard-Y check.
Added Latias as Ajwf with the set that he / she suggested and I also copied the description for Latias.
Added 0 I'vs on Atk for Latias to minimise Foul's Play damange.
Added Latias as a Thundurus-I / Landorus-I / Politoed / Breloom / Manectric-Mega / Gyarados-Mega / Suicune / Slowbro check and as a Skarmory / Venusaur - Mega / Gliscor / Rotom -H / Rotom -W wall.
Changed the "Sinergy of the team" and the "Importable version".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)