SS OU Sand Team Help

Hey all,

I am pretty new to showdown and created a sand team. I made this team without using legendaries because I never was a fan of them, to begin with. I understand with the current meta, it's difficult not to run legendaries, so with that said, I'm open to using them. It's a fun team, and I suggest you experience the team, but any theoretical advice is very much welcomed. Sorry for not having cool pictures to go along with my pokemon. Thanks in advance!

Hippowdon (F) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Hippo is my sand setter and my rocks setter. I have toxic to cripple, whirlwind incase anybody sets up, and earthquake for taunt. Pretty straight foward.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Ttar is my backup setter and SpD Tank and I mean tank. AV in the sand brings ttars SpD to the 600's which allows it to tank pretty much any special attack. The max attack and adamant nature allows for it to hit like a tank (I don't have specific numbers off the top of my head). I'm not in love with this moveset but two stabs and coverage typing for dragons and fire punch to help end a weakened ferrothorn. So slow, but with SpD being so high (I haven't been One shotted) it pretty much guarantees a hit the same turn. It's a nice surprise but really ttar is used to set sand up in the late game and to hit hard.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Body Press

Standard skarmory, I've been switching between Skarmory and Corviknight as a defogger but Skarmory just fits a bit better for my playstyle (I prefer hazard setting over defog). Standard moveset

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Tangrowth w/ lefties and regenerator as my physical wall and crippler. Not much to say about this.

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Psychic

I normally don't run the same item twice on a team, but with the self-imposed circumstance, I opted to. Mostly full coverage moveset, flamethrower OHKOs pesky ferrothorn, ice beam for dragons, sludge wave for fairy, I opted for Psychic instead of Future SIght because I want immediate damage even though it's weaker. As I'm typing this I'm going to switch it and see how it performs. Another SpD wall with regenerator so I can control the pace.

Lycanroc @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Iron Head

I've ran an Excadrill before and switched to Lycanroc because I wished Excadrill learned close combat but didn't. Lycanroc in sand is faster and with Choice band hits harder than Adamant+Life orb Excadrill. Not in love with this moveset and I'm going to switch Psychic Fangs out with a rock move but, If im going to be locked into a move I prefer one that has 100% accuracy but what do I know, that's why I'm here.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hey Cory,

From a quick glance I can tell this team is going to have problems with physically defensive walls because aside from Tangrowth having 1 special attack, once Slowking-Galar goes down I can see this team having a problem with Pokemon such as (Skarmory, Buzzwole, and Corviknight).

I don't think Tyranitar with it's current set might be the best fit, you are stating you are not in love with it, I feel like a stealth rock set would be better and sticking with one Sand Streamer can open this team up to more opportunities for success.

1664253980327.png

Tyranitar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

This set is very similar to the Hippo set. It's pretty standard, helps set up stealth rock. It allows Tyranitar to be a solid special defensive tank already and the option of status. I do feel like Assault Vest is great, but you lose out on the option for status and stealth rock which is excellent for Tyranitar doing 2 jobs at one time rather having 2 different Pokemon (Hippo + Tyranitar).

Since the idea is to have a sand storm team I was thinking about adding another Pokémon that has the sand rush ability that would work will with Skarmory + Tangrowth in terms of negating some Fire weakness. Dracozolt would be a good fit as a additional sweeper, it would be a good end game sweeper. The set I'm suggesting is a mixed attacker set which would help some of the deficiency you face on the special attacking side in regards to this team currently structured.

Hippowdon > Dracozolt
1664252907862.png

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 148 Atk / 176 SpA / 184 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Lastly I don't want to change too much because I want your team to keep its identity, I would suggest Lycanroc get replaced out because it's a very fragile Pokémon that would get revenged kill with anything that has Aqua Jet like Urshifu-Rapid-Strike which is a very common Pokemon in the current metagame. Currently at this spot I would recommend a Pokémon that has resistance to ice because currently designed nothing on this team resists Ice (Even before my suggestions). Once Skarmory goes down, I think Weavile would have some fun wearing this team down.

Regardless, I'm wishing you the best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)