Sandslash (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll get working on Lanturn, but I oughtta get this up too. It's time to show off how terrible Sandslash really is.

OMG why are people still using this?

[Overview]

<p>When looking for a Rapid Spin user, Sandslash shouldn't be your first choice. This is mostly because Sandslash has many flaws that make it a poor option on most teams. One of these is Sandslash's inability to deal with many of RU's spinblockers, such as Golurk, Rotom, and Misdreavus, while its competitors, Kabutops and Cryogonal, can. In spite of Sandslash's ability to set up Stealth Rock, it is largely outclassed by other Stealth Rock users such as Uxie, Steelix, and Mesprit. Due to Sandslash's miserable Special Defense, it becomes an easy target for even resisted special attacks. Sandslash also loses to many prominent threats, including Sceptile, Slowking, and especially Glaceon. Its weakness to Ice-type attacks makes it a poor choice against hail teams, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can take them on more reliably.</p>

<p>However, Sandslash does have a few redeeming qualities. It can reliably beat the most popular Ghost-type, Spiritomb, one-on-one. Sandslash can also set up Swords Dance to inflict decent damage on the opposing team. Its physical bulk, while not amazing, is sufficient to allow it to survive enough physical hits to pull off Rapid Spin. In addition to Rapid Spin, Sandslash also has access to Stealth Rock to further support its team. Thanks to these characteristics, Sandslash can also slide onto teams that desperately need to absorb Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Magneton and Manectric. This also makes it a decent fit on teams that do not want their Rapid Spin user vulnerable to Spiritomb. Overall, Sandslash has a very specific niche, and it should only be considered as a last resort if the other Rapid Spin users are too difficult to fit on your team.</p>

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge / Night Slash
move 4: Swords Dance / Stealth Rock
item: Lum Berry / Leftovers
ability: Sand Rush
nature: Adamant
evs: 232 HP / 216 Atk / 36 Def / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Sandslash's best bet at accomplishing anything in RU. While Kabutops and Cryogonal are significantly better choices on a vast majority of teams, Sandslash aims to be used sparingly, enduring physical hits while using Rapid Spin when it's necessary. It also serves as an emergency check to physical sweepers at full health, and it doesn't have a Volt Switch or Stealth Rock weakness, unlike Kabutops and Cryogonal.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin is the sole reason Sandslash should be used, and as such, it finds itself a spot in this set, allowing Sandslash to remove entry hazards that may cripple its team. Earthquake serves as a powerful and reliable STAB move for Sandslash to hit fairly hard with, especially against Spiritomb. Be wary though, Sandslash can potentially lure in Grass-types, such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C, that will easily score a KO. Stone Edge provides good coverage alongside Earthquake, while Night Slash allows Sandslash to also nail Rotom and Misdreavus. Swords Dance is useful because it allows Sandslash to handle Pokemon such as Spiritomb, Rotom, and Misdreavus more effectively. Stealth Rock is another option for the final moveslot, as it enables Sandslash to provide extra support for its team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Sandslash enough power to 2HKO standard Spiritomb while 3HKOing defensive variants, both after Stealth Rock, while the Speed EVs allow Sandslash to outspeed minimum Speed Lanturn. A Lum Berry is the preferred item, allowing Sandslash to bypass status conditions from opposing Pokemon once. Leftovers, however, is useful for recovery, although this leaves Sandslash prone to being burned by Ghost-types. An Adamant nature is chosen to further enhance Sandslash's Attack, allowing it to beat Spiritomb. Toxic is a viable option in the last slot to wear down Alomomola and Poliwrath while crippling incoming spinblockers.</p>

<p>Aside from Spiritomb, Absol can Pursuit trap opposing Ghost-types; this is quite useful as Sandslash is helpless against the majority of them. Sandslash also needs Wish support to keep it from being worn out; Alomomola and Clefable are both viable options to this end. Sandslash also needs a cleric such as Clefable, Misdreavus, or Roselia if it isn't using a Lum Berry. Roselia can also take Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Sandslash also appreciates Pokemon that can take on Grass-types as it is typically helpless against them. Emboar, Roselia, Druddigon, and Scolipede are all very good options for this. Pokemon that appreciate Rapid Spin support, such as Moltres and Scyther, are good partners for Sandslash as well. All things considered, supporting Sandslash is probably more trouble than it's worth.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sandslash doesn't have many other options. The most notable one is Sandstorm, which lets Sandslash run a gimmicky set with Sand Rush and Swords Dance to sweep. It can also run Protect to scout the opponent's move and is useful to allow Sandslash to utilize its Leftovers recovery. Sandslash is capable of running a defensive set to take on a few physical attackers more easily while supporting its team with Stealth Rock and Toxic. It also has Sunny Day to support sun teams while providing Rapid Spin support. X-Scissor and Rock Slide are additional options for extra coverage. Finally, Sandslash can also run Knock Off to remove Eviolite from Magneton, Rhydon, Roselia, and Ferroseed. As it stands, Sandslash's utility is already severely limited, and implementing any of these options could diminish any marginal usefulness Sandslash originally possessed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Most spinblockers are very capable of stopping Sandslash from pulling off a Rapid Spin, especially if it lacks Night Slash. If it lacks Lum Berry, burning it with Will-O-Wisp is an effective way to stop it from defeating any spinblockers while gradually chipping away at its HP. Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Poliwrath, and Slowking can tank hits from it while also dealing a significant amount of damage with Scald. Sandslash loses to common entry hazard setters such as Mesprit, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Roselia, ultimately rendering it useless. Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C can hit Sandslash super effectively with their Grass-type STAB moves. Hail teams will completely obliterate Sandslash, as Blizzard and other powerful Ice-type moves from Glaceon, Walrein, and Rotom-F will quickly dispose of it. It is also useful to constantly pressure Sandslash with repeated attacks and Spikes, as forcing it out will consistently weaken it. Finally, using Trick with a Choice item can make Sandslash easier to deal with by locking it into Earthquake or Rapid Spin.</p>

[Overview]
  • Outclassed by Kabutops and Cryogonal
  • A relatively mediocre spinner
  • Has many negative qualities which make it relatively mediocre
  • It struggles with a lot of spinblockers, leaving it in the shadows of Kabutops and Cryogonal
  • It can up SR and can spin, but for the previous reason, you're often better with a SR+spinner with two teamslots
  • This functions sorely as a support Pokemon with no recovery, meaning over the course of the match, it's getting worn down by the very hazards it is supposed to be removing.
  • It's not even that bulky physically, as many strong physical attackers still 2HKO it regardless
  • It's specially frail and has three exploitable weaknesses, making it bait for threats such as Sceptile, Feraligatr, and Glaceon
  • Loses to hail teams, which Kabu and Cryo don't
  • However, its access to the excellent Rapid Spin makes sure it can remove hazards if the opponent lacks a Ghost-type
  • It has Swords Dance and can use Lum Berry to beat Spiritomb and Misdreavus while denting opponents hard
  • Sandslash should be used on teams that need a spinner that can endure a physical hit and pull off the spin when it counts
  • It can be complete shit if you use it incorrectly; use it to its strengths
  • Before you use Sandslash, always consider the existence of better spinners such as Kabutops and Cryogonal, both of which generally outclass Sandslash
[SET COMMENTS]
  • This is Sandslash's best bet at accomplishing anything
  • It uses its decent 100 Attack and decent physical defense to spin and hit alright
  • It beats Spiritomb at least
  • Fits well on teams that don't want Kabutops for redundancy or for those who hate being Escavalier bait with Cryo
  • Could do decent damage to things and maybe pull off a spin or two
  • Rapid Spin because duh
  • Earthquake for STAB
  • Stone Edge for EdgeQuake coverage while Night Slash nabs Rotom and Misdreavus
  • Swords Dance for boosting or SR to support the team
  • Sandslash sucks but this uses it to the best of its abilities
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EV spread invests into bulk, and allows it to 2HKO standard Spiritomb and 3HKO physically defensive. Also allows it to outspeed Lanturn
  • Lum Berry to dodge burns and Smeargle Spore
  • Adamant because SD
  • Sandslash has no useful abilities, sadly
  • Absol should be used to keep Ghosts at bay
  • Alomomola and Clefable are needed to keep Sandslash healthy
  • Cleric support is needed, Roselia, Misdreavus, and Clefable being good examples
  • Grass-type switch-ins like Emboar, Roselia, Druddigon, and Scolipede
  • Toxic could be used to cripple spinblockers and Grass-types bar Roselia
  • Anything weak to SR such as Moltres and Scyther so that Sandslash benefits your team in some way
  • You really shouldn't be trying to support Sandslash
[Other Options]
  • This thing is dry on other options
  • Rock Slide
  • Toxic
  • Sunny Day
  • X-Scissor
[Checks and Counters]
  • Rotom and Misdreavus cockblock Sandslash from doing its job
  • Spiritomb can burn it
  • Burning Sandslash is effective if it lacks Lum Berry
  • Water-types such as Alomomola, Poliwrath, and Slowking
  • Some hazard users, such as Mesprit, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Roselia can beat it one-on-one
  • Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C (and Roselia too I guess)
  • Glaceon and Walrein
  • Pressure Sandslash with hazards and onslaughts; it can't repeatedly come in
  • Wear down Sandslash
  • Trick can put Sandslash out of commision
  • Mesprit and Uxie mind nothing other than Night Slash, the latter can go for the kill with Ice Beam

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandslash may not be a very good Pokemon, but there is some stuff that I just simply don't see as being true at all.

I think you are condescending its Rapid Spinning value a bit. First off, it is not the worst spinner - Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are regarded as being far worse than Sandslash for many reasons which I do not feel like explaining. Second off, Sandslash does not lose to all the spinblockers - Spiritomb cannot comfortably take on a +2 Earthquake, Rotom cannot take a Night Slash, and neither can burn it because of its Lum Berry, which lets it beat Rotom one on one and also usually CB Spiritomb. Also, I think it is kind of clear that Stealth Rock is used on Sandslash solely because of Rapid Spin, so comparing it to Uxie or Steelix isn't really fair (in addition, the only listed set doesn't even have Stealth Rock, so you are criticizing it for something it is apparently not fit to be doing). Also, what entry hazard users actually defeat Sandslash? Stuff like Crustle and to an extent Qwilfish don't, along with Rock- or Steel- users (which are most Pokemon with Stealth Rock), so examples would help. Absol seems like a random addition to the counter section, and gets 2HKOed while only 2HKOing back. Finally, how does Taunt stop Sandslash when it is only running one non-damaging move in Swords Dance?

Also, why is there not a single positive thing about Sandslash at all? If you write an analysis in a way that endlessly berates a Pokemon, it doesn't really accomplish anything, and literally every bullet point either points out a disadvantage or explains a move. Sandslash is mediocre, but not really useless.

These are a lot of questions but I feel as if this is needed.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The tone on this is way too harsh. Sandslash is not good, but it's also not Metang.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
you need to mention what kinds of teams Sandslash should actually be used on: ie. teams that need their spinner to actually be able to survive a physical attack and get the spin off when it counts, or act as an emergency check to a variety of physical attackers, so that Moltres / Scyther / Archeops / whatever can get in and do what they need to. This can be spinning against or checking a number of things that Kabutops or Cryogonal just can't do like Galvantula, +1 Klinklang (if klink came in on sr, slash can switch in as it boosts and off it with equake), Rotom (+2 Night Slash OHKOes it), Scarf Emboar

Sandslash is there as a support mon to support your main sweeper that's likely weak to Stealth Rock

I mean, the situations don't arise often, but there's a couple things that Sandslash does a little differently that can fit some teams better than Kabutops or Cryogonal. It's also nice to have Sandslash if you don't want to add another Water-type by using Kabu, or if you don't want to be total Esca bait by using Cryo

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
<Honko> 2) i'm not sure support set should be moved to OO, and iirc SilentVerse and other qc agree
<Honko> 3) it should at least outspeed lanturn, maybe more
<SilentVerse> i agree with manly user honko
<SilentVerse> why dafuq does support sandslash not have a set
<SilentVerse> and idg how absol makes a good partner for sd sandslash when the point of that set is to donk ghosts then spin
<Oglemi> yeah i guess i was thinking about the support set
<SilentVerse> i'd actually argue that the support set
<SilentVerse> >>>>>> the sd set
<SilentVerse> cause it's way easier to fit onto teams
<SilentVerse> i mean tbqh idk why i'd use
<SilentVerse> sd sandslash over sd kabutops most of the time
<Honko> also he has rotom/missy first in counters even tho sd is designed to beat them
<SilentVerse> ^
<SilentVerse> also force sandslash out is not very helpful lol
<SilentVerse> esp when sandslash isn't really as crippled by sr as tops / cryo are
<SilentVerse> (also oo has a bunch of really bad shit that needs to be removed)
<Honko> i havent used sandslash since 2011 but imo its best quality as a spinner is electric immunity
<Honko> come in on volt switch and spin or set up sr
<SilentVerse> mehhh
<SilentVerse> the problem with that tho is that
<Honko> theres so few good electric immunities
<SilentVerse> all da volt switchers can donk sandslash :(
<SilentVerse> unless you use like
<SilentVerse> ...sdef sandslash
<Honko> tbh i'm considering running calcs for that
<SilentVerse> :o
<Honko> i'd probably rather use that
<Honko> than def
<SilentVerse> hmmmm
<SilentVerse> well tbf
<SilentVerse> phys def can't even really check
<SilentVerse> aggron very effectively
<SilentVerse> cause heavy slam donks it
<Honko> ya
<SilentVerse> could be cool to calc i guess
<SilentVerse> though idk, i bet
<SilentVerse> galv / mane still beat sdef slash :(
<Honko> they will 2hko i'm p sure
<Honko> but you're supposed to come in on volt switch
<Honko> not bug buzz / hp grass
<SilentVerse> o
<Honko> you can prolly survive 1 mispredict
<Oglemi> well i mean most galv are lo
<SilentVerse> 252 SpA Galvantula Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sandslash: 138-164 (38.98 - 46.32%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
<SilentVerse> that's not
<SilentVerse> terrible :o
<SilentVerse> though yeah lo galv / lanturn / rotom-c
<SilentVerse> who are probly the most common vswitchers still donk it
<SilentVerse> so idk
<SilentVerse> i mean at least phys def sandslash
<SilentVerse> beats electivire!
<SilentVerse> while sdef probly can't do that :(
<Honko> if you outspeed lanturn you prolly beat it
<SilentVerse> true
<SilentVerse> but still, the mispredicts
<SilentVerse> are so punishing...

in short add the Support set back in and still work on toning down the analysis, i'm removing my stamp until then

Talked for a long time over IRC, and everyone there was fine with Sandslash only getting one set. The reasoning is that SD Lum Sandslash is too similar to Kabutops, who is much better at spinning and attacking overall. SD Sandslash is slow and doesn't really fit onto many types of teams, and it is almost useless against teams without a Ghost-type, as it has a hard time setting up on anything other than Rotom, Misdreavus, etc. The (physically defensive) Support set is not very good either. Even with max HP / Def, Sandslash still won't be walling many threats, and Pokemon such as Steelix or Rhydon perform the role better. No, they don't have Rapid Spin, but against spinblockers, defensive Sandslash won't be able to get past them without Attack EVs. Don't really think the fully specially defensive set should be added right now, since it hasn't really been tested yet. The following set is a combination between offensive and defensive, and the options from the former sets should be included in Additional Comments. *EDIT: I modified the set a bit.* These are my suggestions:

[Overview]

• First thing you should mention is that the player should be considering another spinner before Sandslash.
  • Just capitalize on how many common Pokemon take advantage of Sandslash's presence. Grass- and Water-types that can beat Sandslash are found on almost every single team.
  • Mention, however, that Sandslash can beat most variants of Spiritomb, which is good if you cannot fit Kabutops onto your team. It can also beat some versions of Rotom.
  • Mention that Sandslash can become dead weight if it is used incorrectly, so be sure to play to its strengths.
  • Is also dead weight against hail teams, while the other spinners stand a chance by resisting Blizzards. Hail also cancels out Leftovers.

[SET]
evs: 232 HP / 216 Atk / 40 Def / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• You should say that while Sandslash cannot beat many Ghost-types in RU, it can beat the most common one, Spiritomb, with this set. With Swords Dance and Night Slash it can beat Rotom and Misdreavus.
  • 216 Attack EVs allow Spiritomb to 2HKO 252 HP Spiritomb and 3HKO 252 HP / 252 Def+ Spiritomb with Earthquake, both after Stealth Rock. Physically defensive Spiritomb can burn you, however.
  • Mention that Sandslash has to be careful of using Earthquake as it will be a free switch-in for Grass-types like Lilligant.
  • If you're going to forego Stealth Rock for another move because you already have a Stealth Rock setter, you should probably be using a different spinner since they can deal with Ghosts better. However, Stealth Rock is replaceable in certain circumstances explained below.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Best teammates are Alomomola or Clefable with Wish. If you want Sandslash to spin throughout the match, this is the best way to keep it healthy. Both Sandslash and Alomomola are set up on by offensive Grass-types, but Clefable can do well against them. It just depends on the team for which Wish supporter should be used.
  • A Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user is also almost necessary because Sandslash is useless when burned.
  • A switch-in to Grass-types are necessary. Emboar is pretty good and I'm sure you can think of more x).

• Toxic can also be used to cut off the longevity of Tangrowth, Lilligant, Sceptile, Slowking, Alomomola, etc. It also cripples Rotom and Misdreavus.
  • 252 HP / 252 Def Impish is not recommended because Sandslash has no offensive presence and still gets worn down by hard hitters like Aggron, but the option is there in extreme circumstances.

[Other Options]
  • Offensive Sandstorm set with Sandstorm, SD, EQ, and Stone Edge is fun
  • Protect can be used to scout Choice users and get a free turn to regain HP from Leftovers.

[Checks and Counters]
  • Burning Sandslash is very effective since it will have a tougher time getting past Ghost-types.
  • Physically Defensive Spiritomb with Will-O-Wisp can hurt Sandslash.
  • Also say that Uxie and Mesprit are SR users that beat Sandslash.
  • Constant pressure, even from physical attackers like Druddigon and Entei, will cut Sandslash's life short. It cannot repeatedly switch into physical attacks.
  • Just say how there are so many things that can wear down Sandslash, mostly special attackers like Sigilyph.
  • Remove Crawdaunt and Feraligatr since they take a decent amount from Earthquake. Use Alomomola and Poliwrath instead.

Add the stuff I had in OO (at least Protect lol), that "With Swords Dance and Night Slash it can beat Rotom and Misdreavus," and "252 HP / 252 Def Impish is not recommended because Sandslash has no offensive presence and still gets worn down by hard hitters like Aggron, but the option is there in extreme circumstances."

[qc]1/3[/qc]

EDIT: Oops EVs exceed 510. Change the defense EVs from 40 to 36!

EDIT 2: Slash Leftovers I guess because if it's being used for Spiritomb, most don't run WoW.

EDIT 3: Add Knock Off in OO

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
not going to do a full check on this because i can't QC things twice (;__;) but i just wanted to point out that the line about most Spiritomb not running Will-O-Wisp should be removed. Will-O-Wisp isn't uncommon on Spiritomb at all. In fact, according to this month's usage stats, it was actually the most common move used on Spiritomb, being used on just a little bit over half of them.

Will-O-Wisp 57.645% | Shadow Sneak 53.381% | Sucker Punch 42.821% | Dark Pulse 33.878% | Pursuit 30.711% | Rest 30.438% | Foul Play 27.376% | Pain Split 26.187% | Calm Mind 25.211% | Sleep Talk 24.212% | Trick 16.946% | Toxic 5.085% | Shadow Ball 4.614% | Psychic 3.739% | Other 17.758%

Oglemi

Borf
you need to list Sand Rush as the ability since Sand Veil is illegal

you should talk about a defensive set in OO (and maybe a specially defensive set too). when you do so be sure to recommend using Toxic over a secondary attacking move since Sandslash gets far more mileage out of it than something like Stone Edge without any Attack EVs (it does hilariously little damage to even like Rotom without any investment). Toxic might also even be AC material on the given set since it's Sandslash's best weapon vs. Alomomola and Poliwrath and is just good utility in general on stall teams.

[qc]3/3[/qc]

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hihi; amcheck.

There were many prose errors (grammar was excellent :)) that needed a ton of re-wording as well as fluff and repeated phrases, but other than that, it was a very interesting read; good job!

I also have provided a c/p of it, as some parts gotten very messy.

Additions
Removes
Comments

ScraftyIsTheBest said:
[Overview]

<p>When looking for a Rapid Spin user, Sandslash should nevern't be your first choice. This is mostly because Sandslash ihas crippled by many flaws that make it a poor choice on mana variety teams. While having access to Rapid Spin is excellent, Sandslash is unable to puldeal wit off onh many of RU's spinblockers, such as Golurk, Rotom, and Misdreavus, whichle Kabutops and Cryogonal can. WhilIn spite of Sandslash canbeing able to set up Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin,, (AC) it is largely outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, such as Uxie, Steelix, and Mesprit, due to its aforementioned helplessness against Ghost-types. Sandslash's physical bulk is actually quite mediocre, as it is still muscmiserabled through by RU's top physical attackers such as Entei, Druddigon, and Escavalier. Its lac bulk of reliable recovery does not help its case either. Sandslash's miserable special bulk does not help its case eitherily targeted; it is bait for many threats, (AC) such as Sceptile, Slowking, and especially Glaceon. Its weakness to Ice-type attacks makes it a liabilityvery weak against hail team, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can take them on withail teamse, leaving Sandslash in their shadows. </p>
(You mention that its defense is mediocre, then a paragraph later you say that it can be taken advantage of..? I just removed that part in here, since you summarized it in the next paragraph. Also, split this area in half to make it easier to follow.)

<p>
However, Sandslash does have a few positive things going for raits. It can reliably beat the most popular Ghost-type, Spiritomb, (AC) one-on-one and set up Swords Dance to puinflict decent dents iamage on the opposing team. Its physical bulk, while not amazingreat, is enough to allow it to survive some physical hits from attackers to pull off the needed Rapid Spin. It also has Stealth Rock to support its team when needecentlyd. These qualities, along with its typing, make it a decent fit on teams that do not want two Water-types or vulnerability to Spiritomb. Sandslash can also fitslide onto teams that desperately need to absorb Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Galvantula and Manectric. Overall, Sandslash ihas a very specific niche Pokemon, and it should only be considered as a last resort if the other spinners are a liabildifficult to fity on theyour team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Sandslash's best bet at accomplishing anything in RU. While Kabutops and Cryogonal are significantly better choices on thea vast majority of teams, Sandslash aims to be a more laid back teammateused sparingly, enduring physical hits while pullusing off the sRapid Spin when it counts's necessary. It also serves as an emergency check to physical sweepers at full health, while not compoundingHP, and it doesn't wield a Volt Switch or Stealth Rock weakness from, (AC) unlike Kabutops orand Cryogonal, respectively. While Sandslash cannot beat many Ghost-types, this set can beat Spiritomb one-on-one.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin is the sole reason Sandslash should be used, and as such, it finds itself a spot in this set. Earthquake serves as a STAB move for Sandslash to hit decentfairly hard with. BHowever, be wary though, as; Sandslash can potentially attractlure Grass-types, (AC) such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C for free, (AC) to it and score a KO. Stone Edge provides good coverage withalongside Earthquake while Night Slash allows Sandslash to also beatnail Rotom and Misdreavus. Swords Dance is useful to allow Sandslash to better deal withandle Pokemon, (AC) such as Spiritomb, Rotom, and Misdreavus, whilemuch easier. Stealth Rock is there final move in the set to allow Sandslash to provide extra support for its team. If you do plan on forgoing Stealth Rock, you should probably be using a different spinner, although if the aforementioned situations apply to your team, then Sandslash can be a decent choice.</p>(The last two sentenced of each paragraph were fluff; uneeded. You mention Spiritomb one time too many here, they should get the picture, (hopefully ;-;). Also, if the set offers Stealth Rock, you should assume that they will follow it, or they will see for themselves that it won't work, right?)

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Sandslash enough Attackpower to 2HKO a standard Spiritomb while 3HKOing defensive variants, both after Stealth Rock, while investing into as much bulk as possible. The Speed EV's allow itSandslash to outspeed a standard Lanturn. Sand Rush is Sandslash's only legal ability, as Sand Veil is banned from all tiers. A Lum Berry is the preferred item, allowing Sandslash to bypass Will-O-Wispstatus conditions from opposing spinblockers as well as Smeargle's SporPokemon once. A Leftovers, however, is useful for recovery, although this leaves Sandslash prone to being burns fromed by Ghost-types. An Adamant nature is chosen to further enhance Sandslash's Attack to, allowing it to beat Spiritomb. Toxic is a usviable option to wear down Alomomola and Poliwrath, (RC) while crippling incoming spinblockers.</p>

<p>Absol is needed to keep opposing Ghost-types aside from Spiritomb at bay, since Sandslash is helpless against the manjority of them. Sandslash also needs Wish support to be able to accomplishfulfill its job multiple times; Alomomola and Clefable are both useful for this. Sandslash also needs a cleric if it isn't runnusing a Lum Berry; Clefable, Misdreavus, and Roselia are viable choices,; the latter can also takinge Water- and Grass-type moves foraimed at Sandslash. Sandslash will need aalso appreciates Pokemon that can take on Grass-types as it is typically helpless against them. Emboar, Roselia, Druddigon, and Scolipede are all very good options for this. Pokemon that appre vulnerable to Stealth Rockciate Rapid Spin support, such as Moltres and Scyther, are good partnecessaryrs to make sure Sandslash has at least some usefulness to the team. Overall, you really shouldn't be trying to support Sandslash well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sandslash doesn't have many other options at its disposarsenal. The most notable option is Sandstorm, and Sandslash can run a fun gimmicky set with Sand Rush and Swords Dance to sweep. Sandslash can also run Protect to scout the opponent's move, (RC) and is useful to allows Sandslash to attain its Leftovers recovery. Sandslash is capable of running a defensive set to take on somea few physical attackers more easily andwhile supporting its team with Stealth Rock and Toxic. Sandslash has some other toolso such as Sunny Day to support sun teams while providing Rapid Spin support, as well as X-Scissor and Rock Slide for coverage. It also could run Knock Off to remove Eviolite from Magneton, Rhydon, Roselia, and Ferroseed. Unfortunately, Sandslash cannot put mreign successful with any of these options to good use.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Most spinblockers not named Spiritomb are very capable of stopping Sandslash from pulling off a Rapid Spin, especially if it lacks Night Slash. If it lacks Lum Berry, burning it with Will-O-Wisp is effective to stop it from bdefeating any spinblockers while chipping at its HP. Bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, Poliwrath, and Slowking, (AC) can tank it while also dealing significant damage to it with Scald. Sandslash loses to some common entry hazard setters, such as Mesprit, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Roselia, hirendering its ability to accomplish anything useless. Sceptile, Lilligant, Rotom-C, and to a lesset extent the aforementioned RoseliaRotom-C can hit Sandslash super effectively with their Grass-type STAB moves. Hail teams will makcompletely obliterate Sandslash; Blizzard a complete deadweight; Blizzardnd other powerful Ice-type moves from Glaceon, Walrein, and Rotom-F will quickly dispatch Sandslash. It is also useful to constantly pressure Sandslash with repeated onslaughts and Spikes, as forcing it out will make its death much more quickconsistently weaken it. Finally, using Trick with a Choice Scarfitem is useful to make sure Sandslash is locked into Earthquake or Rapid Spin, making it easier to deal with.</p>
[Overview]

<p>When looking for a Rapid Spin user, Sandslash shouldn't be your first choice. This is mostly because Sandslash has many flaws that make it a poor choice on a variety teams. While having access to Rapid Spin is excellent, Sandslash is unable to deal with many of RU's spinblockers, such as Golurk, Rotom, and Misdreavus, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can. In spite of Sandslash being able to set up Stealth Rock, it is largely outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, such as Uxie, Steelix, and Mesprit. Sandslash's miserable special bulk is easily targeted; it is bait for many threats, such as Sceptile, Slowking, and especially Glaceon. Its weakness to Ice-type attacks makes it very weak against hail team, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can take them on with ease, leaving Sandslash in their shadows.</p>

<p>However, Sandslash does have a few positive traits. It can reliably beat the most popular Ghost-type, Spiritomb, one-on-one and set up Swords Dance to inflict decent damage on the opposing team. Its physical bulk, while not amazing, is enough to allow it to survive some physical hits to pull off Rapid Spin. It also has Stealth Rock to support its team when needed. These qualities, along with its typing, make it a decent fit on teams that do not want vulnerability to Spiritomb. Sandslash can also slide onto teams that desperately need to absorb Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Galvantula and Manectric. Overall, Sandslash has a very specific niche, and it should only be considered as a last resort if the other spinners are difficult to fit on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Sandslash's best bet at accomplishing anything in RU. While Kabutops and Cryogonal are significantly better choices on a vast majority of teams, Sandslash aims to be used sparingly, enduring physical hits while using Rapid Spin when it's necessary. It also serves as an emergency check to physical sweepers at full HP, and it doesn't wield a Volt Switch or Stealth Rock weakness, unlike Kabutops and Cryogonal, respectively.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin is the sole reason Sandslash should be used, and as such, it finds itself a spot in this set. Earthquake serves as a STAB move for Sandslash to hit fairly hard with. However, be wary; Sandslash can potentially lure Grass-types, such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C, to it and score a KO. Stone Edge provides good coverage alongside Earthquake while Night Slash allows Sandslash to also nail Rotom and Misdreavus. Swords Dance is useful to allow Sandslash to handle Pokemon, such as Spiritomb, Rotom, and Misdreavus, much easier. Stealth Rock is the final move in the set to allow Sandslash to provide extra support for its team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Sandslash enough power to 2HKO a standard Spiritomb while 3HKOing defensive variants, both after Stealth Rock, while investing into as much bulk as possible. The Speed EV's allow Sandslash to outspeed a standard Lanturn. A Lum Berry is the preferred item, allowing Sandslash to bypass status conditions from opposing Pokemon once. Leftovers, however, is useful for recovery, although this leaves Sandslash prone to being burned by Ghost-types. An Adamant nature is chosen to further enhance Sandslash's Attack, allowing it to beat Spiritomb. Toxic is a viable option to wear down Alomomola and Poliwrath while crippling incoming spinblockers.</p>

<p>Absol is needed to keep opposing Ghost-types aside from Spiritomb at bay, since Sandslash is helpless against the majority of them. Sandslash also needs Wish support to be able to fulfill its job multiple times; Alomomola and Clefable are both useful for this. Sandslash also needs a cleric if it isn't using a Lum Berry; Clefable, Misdreavus, and Roselia are viable choices; the latter can also take Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Sandslash also appreciates Pokemon that can take on Grass-types as it is typically helpless against them. Emboar, Roselia, Druddigon, and Scolipede are all very good options for this. Pokemon that appreciate Rapid Spin support, such as Moltres and Scyther, are good partners to Sandslash as well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sandslash doesn't have many other options at its arsenal. The most notable option is Sandstorm, and Sandslash can run a gimmicky set with Sand Rush and Swords Dance to sweep. Sandslash can also run Protect to scout the opponent's move and is useful to allow Sandslash to attain its Leftovers recovery. Sandslash is capable of running a defensive set to take on a few physical attackers more easily while supporting its team with Stealth Rock and Toxic. Sandslash also has Sunny Day to support sun teams while providing Rapid Spin support, as well as X-Scissor and Rock Slide for coverage. It also could run Knock Off to remove Eviolite from Magneton, Rhydon, Roselia, and Ferroseed. Unfortunately, Sandslash cannot reign successful with any of these options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Most spinblockers are very capable of stopping Sandslash from pulling off a Rapid Spin, especially if it lacks Night Slash. If it lacks Lum Berry, burning it with Will-O-Wisp is effective to stop it from defeating any spinblockers while chipping at its HP. Bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, Poliwrath, and Slowking, can tank it while also dealing significant damage to it with Scald. Sandslash loses to common entry hazard setters, such as Mesprit, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Roselia, rendering it useless. Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C can hit Sandslash super effectively with their Grass-type STAB moves. Hail teams will completely obliterate Sandslash; Blizzard and other powerful Ice-type moves from Glaceon, Walrein, and Rotom-F will quickly dispatch Sandslash. It is also useful to constantly pressure Sandslash with repeated onslaughts and Spikes, as forcing it out will consistently weaken it. Finally, using Trick with a Choice item is useful to make sure Sandslash is locked into Earthquake or Rapid Spin, making it easier to deal with.</p>

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Thanks Governess for that GP check, I fixed a couple of errors I noticed in the check though, and kept a couple of things I disagreed with (I kept the "You really shouldn't be trying to support Sandslash" sentence-us RUers don't want to encourage anyone into using it!)

ikr

It's time amcheck! Great job btw. Thumbs up to Governess as well; there was hardly anything left for me to correct!
EDIT: lol , it's time to amcheck.

Additions
Deletions
Comments
[Overview]

<p>When looking for a Rapid Spin user, Sandslash shouldn't be your first choice. This is mostly because Sandslash has many flaws that make it a poor choice on a variety of teams. While having access to Rapid Spin is excellent, Sandslash is unable to deal with many of RU's spinblockers, such as Golurk, Rotom, and Misdreavus, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can. In spite of Sandslash being able to set up Stealth Rock, it is largely outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, such as Uxie, Steelix, and Mesprit. Sandslash's miserable special bulk is easily targeted; it is bait for many threats, such as Sceptile, Slowking, and especially Glaceon. Its weakness to Ice-type attacks makes it very weak against hail teams, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can take them on with ease, leaving Sandslash in their shadows.</p>

<p>However, Sandslash does have a few positive traits. It can reliably beat the most popular Ghost-type, Spiritomb, one-on-one and set up Swords Dance to inflict decent damage on the opposing team. Its physical bulk, while not amazing, is enough to allow it to survive some physical hits to pull off Rapid Spin. It also has Stealth Rock to support its team when needed. These qualities, along with its typing, make it a decent fit on teams that do not want vulnerability to Spiritomb. Sandslash can also slide onto teams that desperately need to absorb Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Galvantula and Manectric. Overall, Sandslash has a very specific niche, and it should only be considered as a last resort if the other spinners are difficult to fit on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Sandslash's best bet at accomplishing anything in RU. While Kabutops and Cryogonal are significantly better choices on a vast majority of teams, Sandslash aims to be used sparingly, enduring physical hits while using Rapid Spin when it's necessary. It also serves as an emergency check to physical sweepers at full HP, and it doesn't wield a Volt Switch or Stealth Rock weakness, unlike Kabutops and Cryogonal, respectively.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin is the sole reason Sandslash should be used, and as such, it finds itself a spot in this set. Earthquake serves as a STAB move for Sandslash to hit fairly hard with. However, be wary; Sandslash can potentially lure Grass-types, such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C, to it and score a KO. Stone Edge provides good coverage alongside Earthquake while Night Slash allows Sandslash to also nail Rotom and Misdreavus. Swords Dance is useful to allow Sandslash to handle Pokemon, such as Spiritomb, Rotom, and Misdreavus, much more easily. Stealth Rock is the final move in the set to allow Sandslash to provide extra support for its team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Sandslash enough power to 2HKO standard Spiritomb while 3HKOing defensive variants, both after Stealth Rock, while investing into as much bulk as possible. The Speed EV's allow Sandslash to outspeed standard Lanturn. A Lum Berry is the preferred item, allowing Sandslash to bypass status conditions from opposing Pokemon once. Leftovers, however, is useful for recovery, although this leaves Sandslash prone to being burned by Ghost-types. An Adamant nature is chosen to further enhance Sandslash's Attack, allowing it to beat Spiritomb. Toxic is a viable option to wear down Alomomola and Poliwrath while crippling incoming spinblockers.</p>

<p>Absol is needed to keep opposing Ghost-types &mdash; aside from Spiritomb &mdash; at bay, since Sandslash is helpless against the majority of them. Sandslash also needs Wish support to be able to fulfill its job multiple times; Alomomola and Clefable are both useful for this. Sandslash also needs a cleric if it isn't using a Lum Berry; Clefable, Misdreavus, and Roselia are viable choices; the latter Roselia can also take Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. You can only use 'former' and 'latter' when comparing two things. Sandslash also appreciates Pokemon that can take on Grass-types as it is typically helpless against them. Emboar, Roselia, Druddigon, and Scolipede are all very good options for this. Pokemon that appreciate Rapid Spin support, such as Moltres and Scyther, are good partners to Sandslash as well. Let's face it, though; you really shouldn't be trying to support Sandslash in the first place.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sandslash doesn't have many other options at in its arsenal. The most notable option is Sandstorm, and Sandslash can run a gimmicky set with Sand Rush and Swords Dance to sweep. Sandslash can also run Protect to scout the opponent's move and is useful to allow Sandslash to attain its Leftovers recovery. Sandslash is capable of running a defensive set to take on a few physical attackers more easily while supporting its team with Stealth Rock and Toxic. Sandslash also has Sunny Day to support sun teams while providing Rapid Spin support, as well as X-Scissor and Rock Slide for coverage. It also could run Knock Off to remove Eviolite from Magneton, Rhydon, Roselia, and Ferroseed. Unfortunately, Sandslash cannot reign successful with any of these options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Most spinblockers are very capable of stopping Sandslash from pulling off a Rapid Spin, especially if it lacks Night Slash. If it lacks Lum Berry, burning it with Will-O-Wisp is effective to stop it from defeating any spinblockers while chipping at its HP. Bulky Water-types, such as Alomomola, Poliwrath, and Slowking, can tank hits from it while also dealing significant damage to it with Scald. Sandslash loses to common entry hazard setters, such as Mesprit, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Roselia, rendering it useless. Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C can hit Sandslash super effectively with their Grass-type STAB moves. Hail teams will completely obliterate Sandslash; Blizzard and other powerful Ice-type moves from Glaceon, Walrein, and Rotom-F will quickly dispatch Sandslash. It is also useful to constantly pressure Sandslash with repeated onslaughts and Spikes, as forcing it out will consistently weaken it. Finally, using Trick with a Choice item is useful to make sure Sandslash is locked into Earthquake or Rapid Spin, making it easier to deal with.</p>

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check

ADD
REMOVE
COMMENTS

Diff said:
[Overview]

<p>When looking for a Rapid Spin user, Sandslash shouldn't be your first choice. This is mostly because Sandslash has many flaws that make it a poor choice on a variety of teams. While having access to Rapid SpinOne of which is excellent, Sandslash's is unableility to deal with many of RU's spinblockers, such as Golurk, Rotom, and Misdreavus, while its competition, (AC) Kabutops and Cryogonal, (AC) can. In spite of Sandslash being able to set up Stealth Rock, it is largely outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, such as Uxie, Steelix, and Mesprit. Sandslash's miserable special bulk is easily targeted; it is bait for many threats, such as Sceptile, Slowking, and especially Glaceon. Its weakness to Ice-type attacks makes it very weak against hail teams, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can take them on with ease, leaving Sandslash in their shadows.</p>

<p>However, Sandslash does have a few redeeming qualities. It can reliably beat the most popular Ghost-type, Spiritomb, one-on-one. (AP) Sandslash can also set up Swords Dance to inflict decent damage on the opposing team. Its physical bulk, while not amazing, is enough to allow it to survive some physical hits to pull off Rapid Spin. It also hasWhile it might not be the best pick, Sandslash can still set up Stealth Rock to further support its team when needed (You mentioned how Sandslash is outclassed as a SR user by others, so hopefully my proposed change repeats that fact before counting it as a plus.). These qualities, along withanks to its typing, make it a decent fit on teams that do not want vulnerability to Spiritomb. Sandslash can also slide onto teams that desperately need to absorb Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Galvantula and Manectric. These qualities make it a decent fit on teams that do not want vulnerability to Spiritomb. Overall, Sandslash has a very specific niche, and it should only be considered as a last resort if the other spinners are difficult to fit on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin is the sole reason Sandslash should be used, and as such, it finds itself a spot in this set. Earthquake serves as a STAB move for Sandslash to hit fairly hard with. However, bBe wary; (remove semi) though, (AC) Sandslash can potentially lure in Grass-types, such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C, to it and score a hat will easily OHKO it. Stone Edge provides good coverage alongside Earthquake, (AC) while Night Slash allows Sandslash to also nail Rotom and Misdreavus. Swords Dance is useful to allow Sandslash to handle Pokemon, (RC) such as Spiritomb, Rotom, and Misdreavus, much more easily. Stealth Rock is another option for the final move in the set to allowslot, as it enables Sandslash to provide extra support for its team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Sandslash enough power to 2HKO standard Spiritomb while 3HKOing defensive variants, both after Stealth Rock, while investing into as much bulk as possible. The Speed EV'(RA)s allow Sandslash to outspeed standard Lanturn. A Lum Berry is the preferred item, allowing Sandslash to bypass status conditions from opposing Pokemon once. Leftovers, however, is useful for recovery, although this leaves Sandslash prone to being burned by Ghost-types. An Adamant nature is chosen to further enhance Sandslash's Attack, allowing it to beat Spiritomb. Toxic is a viable option to wear down Alomomola and Poliwrath while crippling incoming spinblockers.</p>

<p>Absol is needed to keep opposing Ghost-types&mdash; aside from Spiritomb&mdash; at bay, asince Sandslash is helpless against the majority of them. Sandslash also needs Wish support to be able to fulfill its job multiple times; Alomomola and Clefable are both useful for this. Sandslash also needs a cleric if it isn't using a Lum Berry; Clefable, Misdreavus, and Roselia are viable choices; (remove semi). (AP) (I'm kind of doubting this change, ignore it if you're 100% sure it's incorrect.) Roselia can also take Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Sandslash also appreciates Pokemon that can take on Grass-types as it is typically helpless against them. Emboar, Roselia, Druddigon, and Scolipede are all very good options for this. Pokemon that appreciate Rapid Spin support, such as Moltres and Scyther, are good partners to Sandslash as well. Let's face it, though; you really shouldn't be trying to support Sandslash in the first placeas well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sandslash doesn't have many other options in its arsenal. The most notable optione is Sandstorm, andwhich lets Sandslash can run a gimmicky set with Sand Rush and Swords Dance to sweep. SandslashIt can also run Protect to scout the opponent's move and is useful to allow Sandslash to attain its Leftovers recovery. Sandslash is capable of running a defensive set to take on a few physical attackers more easily while supporting its team with Stealth Rock and Toxic. SandslashIt also has Sunny Day to support sun teams while providing Rapid Spin support, as well as X-Scissor and Rock Slide for coverage. It also could run Knock Off to remove Eviolite from Magneton, Rhydon, Roselia, and Ferroseed. Unfortunately, Sandslash cannot reign successful with any of these options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Most spinblockers are very capable of stopping Sandslash from pulling off a Rapid Spin, especially if it lacks Night Slash. If it lacks Lum Berry, burning it with Will-O-Wisp is effective to stop it from defeating any spinblockers while chipping at its HP. Bulky Water-types, (RC) such as Alomomola, Poliwrath, and Slowking, can tank hits from it while also dealing significant damage to it with Scald. Sandslash loses to common entry hazard setters, (RC) such as Mesprit, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Roselia, rendering it useless. Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C can hit Sandslash super effectively with their Grass-type STAB moves. Hail teams will completely obliterate Sandslash; Blizzard and other powerful Ice-type moves from Glaceon, Walrein, and Rotom-F will quickly dispatch Sandslashof it. It is also useful to constantly pressure Sandslash with repeated onslaughts and Spikes, as forcing it out will consistently weaken it. Finally, using Trick with a Choice item is useful to make sure Sandslash is locked into Earthquake or Rapid Spin, making it easier to deal with.</p>
*sigh* My first official GP check! Good job here, just watch out for inconsistency and choppy sentence structure. Anyway, this is,

GP Approved 1/2

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Thanks Icecream for the amcheck, I implemented most of it. I kept the last sentence in OO, because none of Sandslash's other options are actually especially effective.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
Amateur Proofread

GP Check 2/2 once changes are made.
If you have questions about changes I suggested, please feel free to talk to me about them.

Additions
Deletions
[Comments]

I'll get working on Lanturn, but I oughtta get this up too. It's time to show off how terrible Sandslash really is.

[Overview]

<p>When looking for a Rapid Spin user, Sandslash shouldn't be your first choice. This is mostly because Sandslash has many flaws that make it a poor option on most a variety of teams. One of these is Sandslash's inability to deal with many of RU's spinblockers, such as Golurk, Rotom, and Misdreavus, while its competitors, Kabutops and Cryogonal, can. In spite of Sandslash's ability to set up Stealth Rock, it is largely outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, such as Uxie, Steelix, and Mesprit. Due to Sandslash's miserable special bulk Special Defense, it becomes an easy target for even resisted special attacks. is easily targeted; it Sandslash is bait [one thing I think you should clarify here is what you mean by "bait". Typically, bait implies that the Pokemon is setup fodder or can be used to as a lure, but I think it might be more appropriate to say that it just doesn't stand a chance against these Pokemon, unless you purely mean it's setup fodder, in which case the word setup might be a good addition just for clarity] for many threats, such as including Sceptile, Slowking, and especially Glaceon. Its weakness to Ice-type attacks makes it very weak a poor choice against hail teams, while Kabutops and Cryogonal can take them on more reliably, leaving Sandslash in their shadows.</p>

<p>However, Sandslash does have a few redeeming qualities. It can reliably beat the most popular Ghost-type, Spiritomb, one-on-one. Sandslash can also set up Swords Dance to inflict decent damage on the opposing team. Its physical bulk, while not amazing, is enough sufficient to allow it to survive some enough physical hits to pull off Rapid Spin. While it may not be the best pick, Sandslash can still set up Stealth Rock to further support its team. In addition to Rapid Spin, Sandslash also has access to Stealth Rock to further support its team. [You're focusing on the "good" qualities Sandslash has in this paragraph and bringing up a negative characteristic interrupts flow] Thanks to these characteristics qualities, Sandslash can also slide onto teams that desperately need to absorb Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Galvantula and Manectric. This also makes it a decent fit on teams that do not want their Rapid Spin user vulnerable to Spiritomb. Overall, Sandslash has a very specific niche, and it should only be considered as a last resort if the other Rapid Spin users are difficult to fit on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Sandslash's best bet at accomplishing anything in RU. While Kabutops and Cryogonal are significantly better choices on a vast majority of teams, Sandslash aims to be used sparingly, enduring physical hits while using Rapid Spin when it's necessary. It also serves as an emergency check to physical sweepers at full health, and it doesn't have a Volt Switch or Stealth Rock weakness, unlike Kabutops and Cryogonal.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin is the sole reason Sandslash should be used, and as such, it finds itself a spot in this set, allowing Sandslash to remove entry hazards that may cripple the its team. Earthquake serves as a powerful and reliable STAB move for Sandslash to hit fairly hard with, especially against denting Spiritomb. Be wary though, Sandslash can potentially lure in Grass-types, such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C, that will easily score a KO. Stone Edge provides good coverage alongside Earthquake, while Night Slash allows Sandslash to also nail Rotom and Misdreavus. Swords Dance is useful because it allows Sandslash to handle Pokemon such as Spiritomb, Rotom, and Misdreavus [removed comma] more effectively. Stealth Rock is another option for the final moveslot, as it enables Sandslash to provide extra support for its team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread gives Sandslash enough power to 2HKO standard Spiritomb while 3HKOing defensive variants, both after Stealth Rock, while the Speed EVs allow Sandslash to outspeed standard Lanturn. A Lum Berry is the preferred item, allowing Sandslash to bypass status conditions from opposing Pokemon once. Leftovers, however, is useful for recovery, although this leaves Sandslash prone to being burned by Ghost-types. An Adamant nature is chosen to further enhance Sandslash's Attack, allowing it to beat Spiritomb. Toxic is a viable option to wear down Alomomola and Poliwrath while crippling incoming spinblockers.</p>

<p> Aside from Spiritomb, Absol can Pursuit trap opposing Ghost-types; [changed , to ;] this is quite useful as Sandslash is helpless against the majority of them. Sandslash also needs Wish support to keep it from being worn out; Alomomola and Clefable are both viable options to this end useful for this. Sandslash also needs a cleric such as Clefable, Misdreavous, or Roselia if it isn't using a Lum Berry.; Clefable, Misdreavus, and Roselia are viable choices; Roselia can also take Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Sandslash also appreciates Pokemon that can take on Grass-types as it is typically helpless against them. Emboar, Roselia, Druddigon, and Scolipede are all very good options for this. Pokemon that appreciate Rapid Spin support, such as Moltres and Scyther, are good partners to for Sandslash as well. All things considered, supporting Sandslash is probably more trouble than it's worth. All in all, you really shouldn't be trying to support Sandslash.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sandslash doesn't have many other options. The most notable one is Sandstorm, which lets Sandslash run a gimmicky set with Sand Rush and Swords Dance to sweep. It can also run Protect to scout the opponent's move and is useful to allow Sandslash to attain utilize its Leftovers recovery. Sandslash is capable of running a defensive set to take on a few physical attackers more easily while supporting its team with Stealth Rock and Toxic. It also has Sunny Day to support sun teams while providing Rapid Spin support. It also has X-Scissor and Rock Slide are additional options for extra coverage options. Finally, it can also Sandslash can run Knock Off to remove Eviolite from Magneton, Rhydon, Roselia, and Ferroseed. As it stands, Sandslash's utility is already severely limited and implementing any of these options could diminish any marginal usefulness Sandslash originally possessed. Unfortunately, Sandslash cannot reign successful with any of these options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Most spinblockers are very capable of stopping Sandslash from pulling off a Rapid Spin, especially if it lacks Night Slash. If it lacks Lum Berry, burning it with Will-O-Wisp is an effective way to stop it from defeating any spinblockers while gradually chipping away at its HP. Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Poliwrath, and Slowking [removed comma] can tank hits from it while also dealing a significant amount of damage with Scald. Sandslash loses to common entry hazard setters [is there a better name for these Pokemon?] such as Mesprit, Uxie, Qwilfish, and Roselia, ultimately rendering it useless. Sceptile, Lilligant, and Rotom-C can hit Sandslash super effectively with their Grass-type STAB moves. Hail teams will completely obliterate Sandslash, as Blizzard and other powerful Ice-type moves from Glaceon, Walrein, and Rotom-F will quickly dispose of it. It is also useful to constantly pressure Sandslash with repeated attacks and Spikes, as forcing it out will consistently weaken it. Finally, using Trick with a Choice item can make Sandslash easier to deal with by locking it into Earthquake or Rapid Spin is useful to make sure Sandslash is locked into Earthquake or Rapid Spin, making it easier to deal with.</p>

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)