SM OU SandStorm is Back (ft. Surprise Kartana) (Peaked 1800)

Hi, I'm dj666 and this is my first RMT, hope you enjoy it and I appreciate your suggestions.

Teambuilding Proccess

I wanted to build a Sandstorm based team because I saw a rise in Rain teams usage and I thought: why not try sand, maybe it works too. So I needed a Sandstorm setter and since I wanted to go offensive I chose Tyranitar over Hippowdon.

If im playing sand I want pokemons that can abuse it, so Excadrill was the obvious choice, with Sand Rush it outspeed a huge part of the metagame.

Another sand abuser I wanted to try out is Mega Garchomp, its Sand Force boosted earthquakes hit like a truck and its speed tier isn't too bad because I can choose not to mega evo to deal with stuff like Zygarde, Kyurem and all the base 100 speed pokemon.

So far I have 2 pokemons weak to water, ground and fight so i added Assault Vest Tangrowth. It can deal with Ash Greninja which otherwise could kill Excadrill with Water Shuriken and rip my team apart. Regenerator prevents it from wearing down with the sandstorm.

Here comes the star of the show: Timid Normalium-Z Kartana. Seriously, some people will say its a gimmmick and I can agree to some extent but it has won me so many games. It helps to lure and kill flying types and bulky grass types that usually check Kartana.

I wanted a rock setter and a fight resist since 3 team members are weak to it, so I added Clefable to round the team. It appreciates sand as it doesn't take damage from it.

After testing the team I found out Mega Chomp was a bit underwhelming and Zard X helps me against Celesteela, Scizor, Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth, which cause me some trouble. It maintains the offensive presence Mega Chomp had.

The Team

Tyranitar
@ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Tyranitar is the Sandstorm setter and with Choice Band it packs a big punch. The set is pretty standard, Stone Edge and Crunch as main STABs, Ice Punch mainly for Landorus-T and Pursuit to trap stuff like Latios or any weak pokemon that can't hit Tyranitar hard (like non-Low kick locked scarf Greninja to help Kartana). It weakens enemy teams for Excadrill and Kartana to finish them off. It is often important to keep it alive for Excadrill to sweep later in the game.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

The main Sandstorm abuser, with Jolly nature it can outspeed scarf Greninja and some Hawlucha sets (who is a big threat to the team) but I'm not sure if it's worth the loss of power. It can clean late game when the ground/steel resistances are weakened. I used to run Rock Slide in the last moveslot since my team wasn't too weak to hazards but with the addition of Mega Zard X it got weaker to Stealth Rocks. I didn't find myself using Rock Slide too often anyways and Spin also helps against Sticky Web teams.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth is the "glue", balancing out the weaknesses of the team. It is the only switch-in to non-Protean Greninja, it can 1v1 Mega Alakazam which is quite annoying if it traces Sand Rush, helps a lot against Rain teams and checks Kartana, Keldeo, Magearna, Mega Gyarados, etc. It is also nice knocking off some items.

Kartana @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Giga Impact

This set helps Kartana get past its most usual checks such as Zapdos, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, Volcarona, Zard Y after a Swords Dance boosted Breakneck Blitz and Stealth Rocks or some prior damage. Its not difficult to get a Swords Dance because it forces many switches and can even set up on the most popular pokemon in the tier. Tornadus-T is a bit trickier to kill because it's needed to predict the switch (it doesnt need SD boost tho). After it gets the kill, the ability boosts its speed to the opponent surprise and the only answer is faster Choice Scarf users (aka scarf Greninja) or another bulky grass or flying type. I can still get one last Giga Impact on them because weakening those helps Excadrill clean.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock
-
Soft-Boiled
Clefable is the Stealth Rock setter and can check fightning types like Mega Lopuny, Mega Medicham and Hawlucha in a pinch. It can stay in against non-Flyinium Z Landorus-T and try to set up. It can act as another win condition thanks to Calm Mind if enemy steel types are gone.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Zard X is the last addition to the team, replacing Mega Garchomp. It deals with Celesteela, Scizor, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth...who i had trouble getting past before. If left unanswered it can wreck opponent team on its own. Dragon Dance and Flare Blitz are must-haves, I chose Roost for longetivity and Dragon Claw over Earthquake because this team have a good time against Heatran anyway.

That's all! Thank you for reading and feel free to suggest any change to improve the team =)

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Kartana @ Normalium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Giga Impact

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

First off, I would recommend not running timid Kart. The speed can be nice, but its much more useful to be able to do as much damage to zapdos as possible since kart is probably the best way of dealing with zapdos. and also Gren can pick off weakend Kart with water shuriken anyways due to karts poor sp def. I also feel like clef is an awkward fit. I would recommend running mew. Mew can still deal with the fighting types clef deals with, but also provide rock support like Clef. Ur team also has trouble switching into tran and this can be a decent option. The new set would be this
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Earth Power
Those are the only changes I can think of rn so yeah lmk what you think

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi dj666, this is a cool sand team. I like that you used it with Charizard X who can deal with certain bulky grass and steel types.

There are some weaknesses in the team though, that are harder to deal with than you might have thought (from what I read). I'll go over them and then suggest changes that should help against them.

Threats to the team:

065-m.png: Strong Psychic types like M-Alakazam are threatening to the team. It usually runs a Modest nature and Recover, meaning that Clefable is easily 2HKOd and Tangrowth also risks being 2HKOd if hazards are up. Even if it lives the best it can do is Knock-off for damage which can be Recovered off. It can also trace Sand Rush to outspeed Excadrill who is your main speed control, another reason I suggest running a better answer.

485.png: Heatran can be very problematic as your only fire resists are Charizard X who is walled, and Tyranitar who is outsped and can be 2HKOd by Earth Power after a little chip (especially if Heatran is Modest which most are). Not to mention if Heatran is running Grassium Z or Steelium Z it gets OHKOd anyway.

Major Change:

797.png > 798.png: I suggest running Celesteela over Kartana. You already have alot of breaking power in Charizard and Tyranitar who hit hard naturally and Excadrill who can setup. Celesteela gives you one of the best answers to M-Alakazam and other Psychic types like Tapu Lele. With Leech Seed + Protect and Heavy Slam you can stay healthy while hitting rather hard despite being defensive, so momentum isn't completely drained.

Minor Changes:

006-mx.png Earthquake > Dragon Dance: On Charizard I recommend running Earthquake which can allow you to act as an offensive answer to Heatran while also hitting Toxapex for solid damage. You already have alot of breaking power so losing DD shouldn't hurt, not to mention Charizard hits hard without boosts anyway. Once Mega Evolved, switching into Earth Power from Heatran is shaky, but you always live a hit and outspeed.

530.png steeliumz.png > lifeorb.png: Since I removed Kartana you can now afford to run a Z move on Excadrill. A boosted Corkscrew Crash allows you to break through Landorus, Gliscor, bulky Zygarde and even Zapdos after some chip, making it easier to sweep.

~~~~

I hope you like these changes and that the new team does well should you decide to use it. Below I'll leave the Importable along with a threatlist of things to be cautious of.
303-m.png: If M-Mawile gets an SD against Tangrowth or Clefable it can be very hard to stop. Everything is hit hard by Play Rough except Celesteela who struggles to take a boosted Knock Off or Thunder Punch. Excadrill and Charizard can both check it offensively but a +2 Sucker Punch has a good chance to OHKO both of them. Try to play aggresively against this mon, especially if it's paired with something like U-turn Tapu Koko who can bring it in.

658.png: Protean Greninja can beat everything if it has the right set, and alot are currently running Gunk Shot which hits Tangrowth and Clefable. Celesteela can live a hit and Leech Seed it, Excadrill can outspeed it in the sand and Charizard can living anything apart from Hydro Vortex. But a well played Protean Greninja will probably get atleast one kill.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

First off, I would recommend not running timid Kart. The speed can be nice, but its much more useful to be able to do as much damage to zapdos as possible since kart is probably the best way of dealing with zapdos. and also Gren can pick off weakend Kart with water shuriken anyways due to karts poor sp def. I also feel like clef is an awkward fit. I would recommend running mew. Mew can still deal with the fighting types clef deals with, but also provide rock support like Clef. Ur team also has trouble switching into tran and this can be a decent option. The new set would be this
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Earth Power
Those are the only changes I can think of rn so yeah lmk what you think
Hi dj666, this is a cool sand team. I like that you used it with Charizard X who can deal with certain bulky grass and steel types.

There are some weaknesses in the team though, that are harder to deal with than you might have thought (from what I read). I'll go over them and then suggest changes that should help against them.

Threats to the team:

View attachment 134433: Strong Psychic types like M-Alakazam are threatening to the team. It usually runs a Modest nature and Recover, meaning that Clefable is easily 2HKOd and Tangrowth also risks being 2HKOd if hazards are up. Even if it lives the best it can do is Knock-off for damage which can be Recovered off. It can also trace Sand Rush to outspeed Excadrill who is your main speed control, another reason I suggest running a better answer.

View attachment 134435: Heatran can be very problematic as your only fire resists are Charizard X who is walled, and Tyranitar who is outsped and can be 2HKOd by Earth Power after a little chip (especially if Heatran is Modest which most are). Not to mention if Heatran is running Grassium Z or Steelium Z it gets OHKOd anyway.

Major Change:

View attachment 134437> View attachment 134436: I suggest running Celesteela over Kartana. You already have alot of breaking power in Charizard and Tyranitar who hit hard naturally and Excadrill who can setup. Celesteela gives you one of the best answers to M-Alakazam and other Psychic types like Tapu Lele. With Leech Seed + Protect and Heavy Slam you can stay healthy while hitting rather hard despite being defensive, so momentum isn't completely drained.

Minor Changes:

View attachment 134440Earthquake > Dragon Dance: On Charizard I recommend running Earthquake which can allow you to act as an offensive answer to Heatran while also hitting Toxapex for solid damage. You already have alot of breaking power so losing DD shouldn't hurt, not to mention Charizard hits hard without boosts anyway. Once Mega Evolved, switching into Earth Power from Heatran is shaky, but you always live a hit and outspeed.

View attachment 134439View attachment 134442> View attachment 134441: Since I removed Kartana you can now afford to run a Z move on Excadrill. A boosted Corkscrew Crash allows you to break through Landorus, Gliscor, bulky Zygarde and even Zapdos after some chip, making it easier to sweep.

~~~~

I hope you like these changes and that the new team does well should you decide to use it. Below I'll leave the Importable along with a threatlist of things to be cautious of.
View attachment 134444: If M-Mawile gets an SD against Tangrowth or Clefable it can be very hard to stop. Everything is hit hard by Play Rough except Celesteela who struggles to take a boosted Knock Off or Thunder Punch. Excadrill and Charizard can both check it offensively but a +2 Sucker Punch has a good chance to OHKO both of them. Try to play aggresively against this mon, especially if it's paired with something like U-turn Tapu Koko who can bring it in.

View attachment 134445: Protean Greninja can beat everything if it has the right set, and alot are currently running Gunk Shot which hits Tangrowth and Clefable. Celesteela can live a hit and Leech Seed it, Excadrill can outspeed it in the sand and Charizard can living anything apart from Hydro Vortex. But a well played Protean Greninja will probably get atleast one kill.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost
Thanks, I'll try the changes you both have suggested!

Hey OP!

Cool sand team first of all. Quick thing I noticed is Slowbro (Megabro in particular) can be pretty dangerous to your team, walling or burning half of it and setting up on anything that isnt kartana and bandtar, which you cant trap well with because of great bulk and regen, as well as risking being set up in your face.

It's not a prominent threat but the matchup against a team that supports it well is pretty tough, especially if you should remove the kartana as suggested in the comments. Considering you'll want to keep TTar around for sand you can't switch it in carelessly risking burns and scald doing a good chunk in general.

As such I'd probably recommend keeping the Kart.

Don't see many other glaring issues, sand is a solid playstyle and this team complements it well.

I'll let you know if I get other ideas regarding the team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)