ORAS OU Sandstorm Team for OU

This is my first RMT, before I put my team let say four things:
Spe = Speed
SpD = Special Defense
The First Two battle calculations are typed by hand WORD FOR WORD.
All changes are in Bold.

So, here's my team:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Ability: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit (Recommended by one hitta quitta)
- Crunch

The reasons I chose this Pokemon for my team is that, since this is a Sandstorm team, I have T-Tar to set up the sandstorm. The Role of it on the team is that its a lead Pokemon to set up stealth rocks. Stealth Rocks is on because this is my lead Pokemon. Toxic to Poison random things. Stone Edge and Crunch is so i'm not Taunt bait, and Careful nature is so i can still Attack at a good stat without an Attack drop from a different nature.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Protect (Realized it can't learn taunt thanks to Cloud_Nine987)

The reason i chose this Pokemon is to set up screens, for ex., Greninja is a BIG OU threat, so i need the screens up to keep T-Tar as healthy as possible
look @ this calculation to make my point clear:

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand through Light Screen: 97-114 (24-28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

NOW
look at it without Light Screen -

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 195-229 (48.2-56.6) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The role for this Pokemon on my team is to set up Screens (Which i already said) to Reduce damage to all pokemon on my team. 252 HP & Def and impish nature is so i can take an EQ or two, and be able to use Foul Playat a good damage. Foul Play is so i'm not taunt bait.
Protect is Just in case i need to last a turn or something

And

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Aerial Ace

The reason I chose this Pokemon is because i needed a) a mega and b) a fast rock type to get a SpD boost from the Sandstorm. The Role this Pokemon Plays is basically a fast rock type that can do a Great EdgeQuake combo. The set works like this, 8 SpD to support the boost it has from the Sandstorm, it also has a decent SpD, 95 to be exact. 252 to maximize the Attack 248 to speed so it can be as fast as possible while having the 8 SpD. Roost is to keep Aerodactyl healthy. Aerial Ace is for STAB flying and I get a Tough Claws boost, also its the Strongest flying type stab for this pokemon.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

The reason i chose this pokemon is because i needed a Special Attacking ground type that can live in the Sandstorm and live with a burn. The role this pokemon plays is basically an all-out Special Attacker. The set works like this, 252 SpA and Spe for max sweeping capability. Sheer Force to support all the attacking moves, and Life Orb to Maximize the power of all the moves i have, Substitute so i can last a turn or two in the field giving dealing damage to the opponent.

Scizor @ Choice Band (Change back recommended by Farpafraf)
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
The reason I chose this Pokemon is that i needed an offensive steel type to deal damage to rock types, and i didn't have a steel type on my team. The role this pokemon plays is to be sort of a slow Attacking sort-of-bulky pokemon. 252 Atk & adamant to do the most of damage. 248 HP & 8 SpD to fill in the bulky part of the set, U-Turn for momentum, Bullet Punch for STAB and activate the ability. Pursuit for when Pokes switch out. Superpower to hit Water types better-ish then Bullet Punch.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Defog (Recommended by one hitta quitta)
- Roost
The reason I chose this Pokemon is because i needed a Rock/Steel/Ground type who didn't need a HA to be good, besides Nidoking. The role of this pokemon is to be the Posioning-Taunting-Have-a-good-way-to-Stay-in-battle-longer Pokemon. 252 HP / Def and 4 SpD to be as bulky as possible, Toxic and Roost to play the role as a bulky pokemon, Defog to get rid of traps/hazards, and Brave Bird so i'm not Taunt Bait.

Thanks for reading this! Also Thanks for Taking time to, again, read this!

Last edited:
I suggest changing Toxic to Pursuit on Tyrannitar,as being able to pursuit trap things like the Lati Twins is one of Tyrannitar's main niches in OU. Plus, consider putting Defog on Skarm, as Mega Aerod doesn't have the bulk to endure Stealth Rock Damage and survive.
I suggest replacing it with Taunt, as Klefki is a better Taunter, or Toxic. Your team is very vulnerable to types like water keep in mind that just because its a sand team doesn't mean everything must be either Rock, Ground, or Steel (especially since sand doesn't last forever like last gen).

Nex time, copy & paste Damage calcs, OK? No one should ever have to type them up manually, thats just excruciatingly painful...

Even though you have nidoking, you have an incredibly huge weakness to magnezone. He can come in on three pokes and trap/eliminate them. The main two that magnezones love to come in on are scizor and skarmory. Scizor is a little easier to avoid trapping with, because u-turn, but not with skarmory. For this reason, I would recommend running shed shell to be able to switch out on magnezone and into your nidoking.

I suggest changing Toxic to Pursuit on Tyrannitar,as being able to pursuit trap things like the Lati Twins is one of Tyrannitar's main niches in OU. Plus, consider putting Defog on Skarm, as Mega Aerod doesn't have the bulk to endure Stealth Rock Damage and survive.
I suggest replacing it with Taunt, as Klefki is a better Taunter, or Toxic. Your team is very vulnerable to types like water keep in mind that just because its a sand team doesn't mean everything must be either Rock, Ground, or Steel (especially since sand doesn't last forever like last gen).

Nex time, copy & paste Damage calcs, OK? No one should ever have to type them up manually, thats just excruciatingly painful...
Thanks for the advice on Tyranitar, and when i was typing up the calcs, it wasn't that painful.

Last edited:
Even though you have nidoking, you have an incredibly huge weakness to magnezone. He can come in on three pokes and trap/eliminate them. The main two that magnezones love to come in on are scizor and skarmory. Scizor is a little easier to avoid trapping with, because u-turn, but not with skarmory. For this reason, I would recommend running shed shell to be able to switch out on magnezone and into your nidoking.
Thank you for that advice, i changed the set based on what you said.

you know Cooly23 I like the team, but I find it kind of ironic that your mascot is a charizard x and charizard x with fire punch and earthquake really hurts your team. The only Pokémon that could take on charizard X is aerodactyl, but if charizard x sets up a ddance on the switch your doomed. The only way I can think of to combat this is putting whirlwind on your skarmory, so the stealth rock damage racks up.

you know Cooly23 I like the team, but I find it kind of ironic that your mascot is a charizard x and charizard x with fire punch and earthquake really hurts your team. The only Pokémon that could take on charizard X is aerodactyl, but if charizard x sets up a ddance on the switch your doomed. The only way I can think of to combat this is putting whirlwind on your skarmory, so the stealth rock damage racks up.
2 things:
First that joke was pretty dang good, ill give you points for that.
Second, my Tyrantitar could take a Dragon Claw, and after some calcs, i learned that Stone Edge OHKOs M-Charizard-X after stealth rock.
So thanks for the advice, but unforturnatly i won't change the set.
Edit: Here's the Calc:
0 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 254-300 (85.2 - 100.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Klefki doesn't get Taunt...but yes, Charizard X murders...literally murders your team. Something like Quagsire could fit, as it is immune to sandstorm damage and has Unaware.

I'm glad to hear you have somewhat of a counter, and also would strongly recommend switching out klefki for something like quagsire as recommended by Cloud_Nine987.

Alright, it is your team, run what you love and have fun with it :)

Also, how did you get that long line of favorite Pokémon after your name?
Its a long process, but i tell you.
Step 1 - Go to http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/
Step two, RIGHT click on the type image thingys, click "Open image in new tab" or something like that
Step Three, Drag the image into your Signature
Do the same with the pokemons to

Edit: Sorry i was being so rude about not changing my team, i just always wanted to try klefki and i don't think that quagsire would benifit anything from the sandstorm.

Last edited:
1)Making a sandstorm team doesn't automatically imply that every single member of your team shouldn't be taking damage from it (infact rotom w was a very common choice for sandstorm teams) you could use something like Azumarill since he'll take care of opposing 'zards.
2)You are setting up the sandstorm to use 'mons that abuse this weather condition such as M_garchomp or excadrill.In your team the only one who -barely- uses it (aside from ttar) is M_areodactyl-this is the most important point-.
3)-I could be wrong but in my opinion shed shell shell on scizor just to escape from magnezone isn't worth the candle -if you predict a switch just U_turn away .
-I'd run ice fang on aerodactyl.

1)Making a sandstorm team doesn't automatically imply that every single member of your team shouldn't be taking damage from it (infact rotom w was a very common choice for sandstorm teams) you could use something like Azumarill since he'll take care of opposing 'zards.
2)You are setting up the sandstorm to use 'mons that abuse this weather condition such as M_garchomp or excadrill.In your team the only one who -barely- uses it (aside from ttar) is M_areodactyl-this is the most important point-.
3)-I could be wrong but in my opinion shed shell shell on scizor just to escape from magnezone isn't worth the candle -if you predict a switch just U_turn away .
-I'd run ice fang on aerodactyl.
Thanks for your opinion, i change the item to choice band, but i won't change the Aerodactyl, sorry, and i don't use M-Garchomp because he's to slow.
But thanks for the opinion anyway!

like Farpafraf said you should really get some mons that take advantage of the sandstorm like sand rushers (excadrill ) and sand forces ( M garchomp) ect. I recomend adding hippowodon for stealth rock, roar, slack off, toxic shuffling and having tyrantitar take a more offensive role

like Farpafraf said you should really get some mons that take advantage of the sandstorm like sand rushers (excadrill ) and sand forces ( M garchomp) ect. I recomend adding hippowodon for stealth rock, roar, slack off, toxic shuffling and having tyrantitar take a more offensive role
Why comment on a 3 month old thread?

I was making a sandstorm team V2.0, but then i lost all of my data on it.
I did have Excadrill tho

As you have two dark moves on T-tar (crunch and pursuit), and T-tar is an excellent pursuit trapper. I would recommend you change the crunch to ice punch in order to cover ground types and grass types, as well as get an extra edge over dragons.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize how old this was...

Last edited:
Does Mega Aero even CARE about the Sp.Def boost? IMO, it's quite offensive and can't survive most strong special hits. The sandstorm is quite useful for getting more KOs though.
(i expect you'd reply me with a calc lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)