SS OU SATURATION

Introduction

Hello Smogon, I think you a lot of you should know me by now, but for those who don't I'm a follower of OU and I'm really enjoying this tier after Home came out. So with that, I tried to build a team around Zeraora Balance and after some building and later some tweaking with help from some friends, the team got to its current state, importable here, so I don't forget. If you're wondering about the building process it was nothing too intricate. I started with Zeraora and backed up with the core of Sylveon and Hippowdon which I've been wanting to use as well, from there the team just kind of pieced itself together, and after some polishments, it was done!

I can't call myself a good player by any stretch of the imagination, I really struggle to pilot teams to their win conditions especially on longer matches so, yeah, there's that. But I do think I can build some reasonable stuff when the stars align. And this is where this team comes in. I hope you reading this can put this team to better use than I can! This team even got featured as the team of the week on Smogon's Social Media, you can see it here, so I'm very thankful for that and I wanna take this opportunity to thank maroon!

This team is inspired by BROCKHAMPTON's album, SATURATION. Which you can listen to the soundtrack of here! I hope you enjoy the listen :) and without further ado, let's dive right in!

The Team In-Depth

stats: 248 HP EVs | 0 Atk IVs | 124 SpD EVs | 136 Spe EVs
moves: Hyper Voice | Wish | Calm Mind | Protect
nature: Calm item: Leftovers ability:
Pixilate

I know a lot of you may be wondering why Sylveon over Clefable, and yes, it's mostly for the Hydreigon matchup. With Sylveon I have the freedom of running Speed for Conkeldurr and still tanking a +2 LO Flash Cannon from Hydreigon, whereas I wouldn't be able to do so with Clefable. Sylveon also helps the matchup against Substitute Calm Mind Primarina, which is always appreciated. Since Toxapex already acts as a great status absorber and the team doesn't desperately need Clefable's Fire-type coverage, though that'd always be welcomed, Sylveon is preferred. Calm Mind is used here to help handle the aforementioned Substitute Calm Mind Primarina, as well as Thunderbolt Calm Mind Clefable. And in general, Heal Bell or Mystical Fire wouldn't accomplish all that much for the squad, but you can still run them if you so prefer.

stats: 248 HP EVs | 252 Def EVs | 8 Spe EVs
moves: Scald | Knock Off | Haze | Recover
nature: Bold item: Shed Shell ability: Regenerator

Massive thanks to TPP for suggesting Toxapex in this slot. Toxapex is the obligatory Water resist, Corviknight check and Ferrothorn annoyer all in one slot. As you can see from my team, not a lot can come in on Ferrothorn very freely so it gets quite a good number of chances to come in and heal up, with Knock Off Toxapex you can hard on Ferrothorn and remove it's Leftovers, so that's always nice, making it easier for Zeraora, Excadrill, and Hydreigon to wear it down (quick shoutouts for talah for suggesting Knock Off Pex). Zeraora could have Knock Off as well, but Toxapex can come in on Ferrothorn unlike Zeraora making this worth it, plus this opens up a spot for Play Rough which is pretty damn important. Knocking Off Clefable is always nice as well. Haze is important for the aforementioned Corviknight and can be useful against Calm Mind Clefable and Nasty Plot Hydreigon as well, should Sylveon be low, or fainted. Shed Shell is more of a luxury than a necessity, but it allows you to play much more recklessly with Toxapex and have a far easier time against trapping cores such as Dugtrio + Keldeo or Dugtrio + Clefable.

stats: 0 Atk IVs | 252 SpA EVs | 4 SpD EVs | 252 Spe EVs
moves: Draco Meteor | Flamethrower | Flash Cannon | Nasty Plot
nature: Timid item: Life Orb ability: Levitate

Hydreigon is, I feel, the heart of the team. Even though I didn't exactly build around it, There's a good chunk of similar teams running around, but they weren't able to fit in a wallbreaker as deadly as Hydreigon. With Specially Defensive Clefable and Sylveon usage dwindling, Hydreigon becomes even more of a migraine to several teams and I'm not seeing many people capitalizing on it. The set is the same as before, with Life Orb Nasty Plot + 3 Attacks. I don't think Roost is very easy to fit on Hydreigon as it means giving up one of Draco Meteor, Flamethrower or Flash Cannon, neither of which you can realistically remove. Wish support from Sylveon should help keep it healthy if need be. Hydreigon can also take advantage of locked Dugtrio, as well as Rotom Wash, Heat, and Mow, which the defensive core of the squad definitely does not appreciate.

stats: 252 Atk EVs | 0 SpA IVs | 4 SpD EVs | 252 Spe EVs
moves: Earthquake | Iron Head | Rapid Spin | Swords Dance
nature: Jolly item: Leftovers ability: Sand Rush

Excadrill takes advantage of the sand placed by Hippowdon, it can act as a cleaner as many teams lacking Corviknight are criminally underprepared for Excadrill, but in general, I just needed a Steel-type and a hazard removal option so Excadrill struck me as a good fit. There's not much else to this Pokémon though. I think it's always nice to have it to remedy speed control and deal with stuff like Cloyster or even Dragon Dance Dragapult should they overwhelm their supposed checks, and this is a great offensive pivot against Zeraora as well. Between Excadrill and Hippowdon (and even Toxapex, because no one's clicking Plasma Fist against a team with three immunities) you're safe and sound against it. Excadrill is also a pivot for non-Flamethrower Clefable and it can revenge kill Flamethrower variants as well after some chip which is very much appreciated.

stats: 252 Atk EVs | 4 SpA EVs | 252 Spe EVs
moves: Plasma Fists | Close Combat | Play Rough | Grass Knot
nature: Hasty item: Metronome ability: Volt Absorb

Zeraora is originally what I built the squad around. Its speed and coverage in this metagame are unmatched, so in general, it's a great fit for Balance and Bulky Offense alike. But even then Zeraora provides plenty of help and synergy for the squad. Helping most notably Excadrill by overwhelming checks like Kommo-o, Hippowdon, and Seismitoad, as well as pressuring Corviknight without much trouble. Metronome is the item of choice (thanks Jordy for the suggestion) to ease the Clefable matchup, helping Zeraora pave its own way as well as Hydreigon's, whereas Life Orb wouldn't really work as Zeraora would get worn down too quickly between the sand chip, recoil, and hazard damage. I really like Knock Off on Zeraora to cripple Rotom-H, but the value of Grass Knot and Play Rough on a team with Excadrill cannot be understated. That being said, Toxapex can probably get a Knock Off on Rotom-H without much trouble or just help wear it down with Scald. Hasty is preferred here for a better matchup against the aforementioned Rotom formes, which can be a bit of a nuisance.

stats: 248 HP EVs | 8 Atk EVs | 252 Def EVs | 0 SpA IVs
moves: Earthquake | Stealth Rock | Slack Off | Whirlwind
nature: Impish item: Leftovers ability: Sand Stream

Hippowdon was one of the mons I added, to pair with Sylveon. I believe they make a very potent defensive core, with Hippowdon taking care of massive threats such as Terrakion, Excadrill, and Zeraora. Whirlwind is a nicer fit in my eyes as you can Whirlwind Corviknight and Mandibuzz, as they switch into Defog, and getting chip damage on stuff Hippowdon forces out like Zeraora and even Dugtrio is very much appreciated, especially the latter as breaking its Sash can be very useful for Zeraora. The EV spread is just enough to allow Hippowdon to always OHKO Excadrill and always take two Choice Band Close Combats from Terrakion. Before anyone asks I didn't go for Smooth Rock because for the most part Leftovers works better on Hippowdon, helping better with Terrakion and Zeraora and to keep it healthy in general. Excadrill isn't the only win condition, so you can be pretty lax with Sand turns in general and fall back on Zeraora for the most part, making Leftovers the better choice here, in my opinion.
Conclusion

Now to finish off this RMT I'd like to do a couple of shoutouts to people that I enjoy the company of in Smogon. I'll do it in alphabetical order so no one bitches about not being first :D If you're in this list you're a great person and I love your presence, and if you're not either I forgot to add you or you're also an amazing person even though I don't know you very well if at all.

Accelgor Aishia Akiamara Altariel von Sweep AmirAlexander Ampha avarice Averardo banks Bebo Blitzamirin Brandon Cam CBU ceraa charizard8888 Chazm Chloe cleann Clouds Codraroll Colonel M Confluxx Cretacerus curiosity Daiyaga Darksafadao Decem deetah dibs Diophantine Djokra Donphantastic dream Eien Estarossa Estronic Excal Finchinator Funbot28 GL Volkner GMars Gross Sweep Hilomilo ImmaFirinMahLazer In The Hills inactive Indigo Plateau Jascha Jho Jolteonite Jordy Juuno Jytcampbell Kalalokki laser火circus Legendary Xernn Leo Level 51 Lilburr lockjaw lovemathboy Luna MamOwOswine marcopolo8K maroon martha Mitsuki Naziel nui Nuked P Squared Perry PhantomHurious PiloswineSarado Pish Prank Qplaz Rabia Rage Realistic Waters regirock Rekeri Repu Ropalme1914 Ruft Sage SeelofApproval ShinyUnown Simia Ske So Noisy Splash st. pablo Stoward Sundar Surgeon talah talkingtree Tenshi TheCoastsOfToast Ticken Tico Meu tiki tondas TPP vivalospride Wigglytuff Wob xavgb xJoelituh Yay yeezyknows yogi Yuichi zizalith

Thanks to all of you guys :) and you the reader as well!​

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing such a nice team and for your efforts into the post.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but I have to ask because I'm mostly a HO player that tries to use semi-underrated offensive cores that ppl don't prep for:

How often in high ladder are you playing >100-turn or >150-turn battles just to beat opposing balances? I personally don't find long battles to be enjoyable.

Also now that you've shared the team, would you think a lot of the success of this team will have been compromised because people will prep for it? (like having Corvi + 5 mons that never give Drei & Zera free turns?)

I will try your team for sure though. Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing such a nice team and for your efforts into the post.
My pleasure!
How often in high ladder are you playing >100-turn or >150-turn battles just to beat opposing balances? I personally don't find long battles to be enjoyable.
Well you see I really hate laddering because I lose focus on battles super easily, so playing like more than 3 games in a row I'm like guaranteed to mess up from that point onwards most of the time, so I usually stick to friendlies, roomtours, and tours here in smogon. But to answer your question it doesn't very often get to that number of turns because while this team is indeed a balance, it has quite a good number of breakers in Hydreigon and Zeraora and even Excadrill if your opponent doesn't have a Corviknight or a Hippowdon. I also dislike long battles (mostly because of my difficulty concentrating for too long), so I'm in the same boat as you here.
Also now that you've shared the team, would you think a lot of the success of this team will have been compromised because people will prep for it? (like having Corvi + 5 mons that never give Drei & Zera free turns?)
I don't think anyone will prep for this particular team, unless they're like playing me specifically, but I can always not bring it idk. I think you can say this for literally any RMT, so I don't see much of the point of this question, haha.
I will try your team for sure though. Thanks again.
Glad to hear, hope you enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)