Sawsbuck [QC: 3/3]

Best Dear in the Tier

Overview
########

• Nice offensive typing leaving its STABs resisted by only steel types which can be dealt with by a coverage move.
  • Decent offensive stats allow it to hit relatively hard and out speed a good amount of threats.
  • Very large move pool giving it plenty of options.
  • Great abilities that give it the possibly of an attack or speed boost.
  • Frailty and weakness mean it's easy to revenge kill.
  • Faces competition from other offensive grass types; Sceptile is much faster, Leafeon is stronger and bulkier ect.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Double Edge
move 3: Horn Leech
move 4: Jump Kick / Substitute / Baton Pass
ability: Sap Sipper
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

• Swords Dance doubles attack.
  • Double Edge is Sawsbuck's strongest STAB move that can take down a lot of walls after a Swords Dance. Used over Return because the extra power is needed to achieve important KOs.
  • Horn Leech is the best choice for grass STAB because it heals Double Edge and Life Orb recoil.
  • Jump Kick provides coverage against steel types such as Ferroseed and Klinklang.
  • Substitute is nice to avoid status and help against revenge killers. Thanks to it's typing certains walls such as Gourgiest and Seismitoad can't break it's substitutes in one hit.
  • Baton Pass is cool to give Swords Dance and Sap Sipper boosts to team mates.

Set Details
========

• EVs are pretty straight forward.
  • Jolly nature is important to not be out sped by stuff like Jolly Sawk and Zangoose.
  • Life Orb is essential to increase attack power, the recoil is somewhat migrated by Horn Leech although this shouldn't be relied on.

Usage Tips
========

• Should be played as more of a wall breaker than a sweeper because Sawsbuck is pretty easy to revenge kill.
  • The easiest opportunities to set up are on stuff that is forced out by grass STAB such as Rhydon and Seismitoad, then smash their grass resist with a +2 Double Edge.
  • Bear in mind that Sawsbuck won't be staying around too long with all the LO, double Edge and potential Jump Kick recoil and that you can't always be saved by Horn Leech Recovery, especially if the opponent something that two times resists grass like Vileplume or Ferroseed.
  • Saswbuck should not be recklessly switched in to any potential grass move as it is predictable and can result in Sawsbuck's death. It is better to weigh up the outcomes of each possible move and decide if the risk is worth the reward.

Team Options
========

• Really appreciates Stealth Rock as it allows the KO on Vileplume, Garbodor and Uxie among others at +2. Rhydon, Seismitoad and Golem are good because they bait grass moves to trigger sap sipper.
  • Spikes are also nice to confirm the kill on Ferroseed, Qwilfish and offensive Spiritomb after a Swords Dance. Omastar is a nice partner because Sawsbuck covers it's grass weakness and Accelgor has nice offensive synergy.
  • Sawsbuck is crippled by status, especially burn and paralysis. Fire and Ground types make good partners.
  • Stuff that likes the above walls removed and can clean late game like Feraligatr and Slurpuff.

Other Options
########
  • If used on a sun team switch ability to Chlorophyll and nature to adamant.
  • Choice scarf but weak.
  • SubPass.
  • SubSeed (worthless).
  • Agility in the last slot on SD set.
  • Megahorn and Wild Charge could be used to cover specific threats but most of the time are infierior to its STAB moves.

Checks & Counters
########
**Very Bulky Walls**: Steelix, Tangela and defensive Spiritomb can take any attack at +2 and either hit it back pretty hard, phase or burn Sawsbuck.

**Gourgeist**: Takes little from Sawsbuck's moves and can burn with Will-O-Wisp. Must watch out for Substitute variants if not running a move that can damage Sawsbuck.

**Revenge Killers**: Hard to wall after a Swords Dance but easy to revenge kill. Typhlosion, Pyroar, Accelgor (can even bug buzz through sub), Swellow and Cryogonal can all out speed and KO with ease.

**Priority**: Such as Gurdurr's Mach Punch or Piloswine's Ice Shard can put a stop to Sawsbuck after a bit of prior damage.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Team Options
========
  • Spikes are also nice to confirm the kill on Ferroseed, Qwilfish and offensive Spiritomb after a Swords Dance.
  • Stuff that likes the above walls removed and can clean late game like Feraligatr and Slurpuff.
This is really the only thing you need to expand on, formatting issues aside. Good job.

QC: 1/3

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
what, no serene grace abuser? /sarcasm

I would remove Subseed from the OO, as it seriously is a worthless set that should never even be mentioned.
change the formatting of the checks/counters to match that of other analysis, click here to find the formatting.

once implemented tag me and ill look it over / do the stuff that i dooo
fuck im tired :\

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
He could still mention SubSeed in OO; he should instead just talk about how worthless it is on Sawsbuck.

Also, more emphasis needs to be placed on the large recoil on Sawsbuck whenever it uses LO Double-Edge; Horn Leech can almost never heal all of it. Jump Kick's effect against Ghost switch-ins don't help either. Even Horn Leech can backfire if Ferroseed switches in. The "Usage Tips" could probably touch upon the riskiness of simply spamming these attacks with Sawsbuck.

Last edited:
This is really the only thing you need to expand on, formatting issues aside. Good job.

QC: 1/3
Beefed up the team options section a bit.

what, no serene grace abuser? /sarcasm

I would remove Subseed from the OO, as it seriously is a worthless set that should never even be mentioned.
change the formatting of the checks/counters to match that of other analysis, click here to find the formatting.

once implemented tag me and ill look it over / do the stuff that i dooo
fuck im tired :\
Fixed up the formatting of Checks & Counters, sorry this is still new to me :P
I remember there was a fun offensive SubSeed set last gen that was actually pretty decent and not like the regular bad SubSeed sets. But I agree that Sawsbuck definitely has better things to do so I'll be sure to mention that.

He could still mention SubSeed in OO; he should instead just talk about how worthless it is on Sawsbuck.

Also, more emphasis needs to be placed on the large recoil on Sawsbuck whenever it uses LO Double-Edge; Horn Leech can almost never heal all of it. Jump Kick's effect against Ghost switch-ins don't help either. Even Horn Leech can backfire if Ferroseed switches in. The "Usage Tips" could probably touch upon the riskiness of simply spamming these attacks with Sawsbuck.
Implemented all.

I also added a bit about how Sawsbuck should not recklessly switch in to any potential grass move to the usage tips and put Megahorn and Wild Charge in OO.

id still mention BP as a slash on the last slot, Leafeon may be better as a baton passer. But Sawsbuck has Sap Sipper, which means it can get an easy +1 if it comes in on like a Vileplumes Giga Drain, then immediately pass it out. When I've used Sawsbuck, that's what I used.

Also in checks and counters add Gourgeist pls :) WoW non sub versions, even unstabbed Rock Slide will wear it down

otherwise 3/3

id still mention BP as a slash on the last slot, Leafeon may be better as a baton passer. But Sawsbuck has Sap Sipper, which means it can get an easy +1 if it comes in on like a Vileplumes Giga Drain, then immediately pass it out. When I've used Sawsbuck, that's what I used.

Also in checks and counters add Gourgeist pls :) WoW non sub versions, even unstabbed Rock Slide will wear it down

otherwise 3/3
Sorry for the delay, made the changes and should have the writing done soon.

Whoops sorry forgot about this. I'll try and get it finished this weekend.

Edit: Iv'e been really busy and probably won't be able to do this until next weekend, I understand if you want to reassign.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)