Sawsbuck

[OVERVIEW]

• Sawsbuck is one of the fastest physical Grass-Types in the PU tier
  • Solid 95 base speed that allows it to out speed most Pokemon in the tier
  • Respectable base 100 attack makes it a strong attacker that can be hard to switch into with good coverage
  • Access to Horn Leech for reliable recovery and a hard hitting Double-Edge or Return, these STAB moves make it a potent attacker
  • In the tier it fills the role of a solid answer to many Water, Rock, and Ground-types
  • Coverage allowing it to counter some Flying and Steel-types
  • Sap Sipper gives Sawsbuck an immunity to Grass Moves with a 1 stage Attack boost
  • Chlorophyll makes it a sun abuser or anti-sun Pokemon
[SET]
name: All out physical attacker
move 1: Horn Leech
move 2: Jump Kick
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Return/Double-Edge
item: Life Orb
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Horn Leech is the primary attacking move of the set giving Sawsbuck Grass-type STAB with recovery from damage that allows it to say in and recover residual damage done
  • Jump Kick provides coverage against Dark, Normal, and especially Steel-types which resist its Grass STAB.
  • Wild Charge allows it to hit Flying-types that resist it's Grass-Stab, but it comes at the cost of 1/3 recoil done to Sawsbuck.
  • The last move slot is the choice of Double-Edge and Return for high power Normal STAB used to sweep
  • Double-Edge provides a very strong STAB move but has 1/3 recoil which could kill Sawsbuck prematurely
  • Return has slightly less power but has no recoil and is very reliable for dishing out damage with no real downside.

Set Details
========

• Life Orb is run on this set to give Sawsbuck more power to it's moves to try and get kills that would be 2 HKO's otherwise,
  • The residual damage of Life Orb also can be recovered by the use of Horn Leech
  • The EV's of this set are 252 in Speed, 252 in Attack, and 4 in Special Defense with a Jolly nature
  • Sawsbuck can speed tie max speed base 95 Pokemon like Primeape and Electivire
  • The EV's that go into Attack try to give Sawsbuck as enough power so it can recover HP with Horn Leech.

Usage Tips
========

• Sawsbuck can find a place on teams that need a fast physical attacker
  • A Pokemon that counters Water, Rock, and Ground Types
  • Teams that want strong Grass and Normal-type coverage
  • The best way to use Sawsbuck is to switch in on expected Grass moves and get an attack raise because of sap sipper, once the boost is gained it can sweeping using Return and any coverage, then recover any damage taken with Horn Leech
  • It also can sweep weakened teams late game because of it's solid speed tier and ability to keep healing while dealing consistent damage.

Team Options
========

• Archeops is a great teamate for Sawsbuck because he can U-turn out when an expected Grass or Water type move is coming, which lets Sawsbuck in on a Pokemon that it can kill with Return or Horn Leech.
  • It also pairs well with strong Special Fire-type attackers like Ninetales or Heatmor, because it can counter water types that want to switch into their Fire STAB moves.
  • Sawsbuck also pairs well with Pokemon like Gastrodon that have a big weakness to Grass because it lets Sawsbuck switch in easily and get boosts with Sap Sipper.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Another option for Sawsbuck is as a drought abuser, because it has access to the ability chlorophyll. It gets enough speed to out speed everything in the tier and can deal strong damage while recovering any damage taken. The problem with this is that it can be walled by Gourgeist and Trevenant and doesn't have enough bulk to take priority Mach Punches from Fighting-types in the tier like Hitmonchan and Gurdurr.

Checks and Counters
===================

• Hitmonchan (Counter): Its strong Mach Punches quickly dispose of Sawsbuck because of its weakness to Fighting, and Scarf varients of Hitmonchan will knock out Sawsbuck in one hit with Drain Punch.
  • Primeape (Counter): Commonly run with Choice Scarf, out speeds and 1HKO's Sawsbuck with any Fighting-type move.
  • Gourgeist and Trevenant (Counter): Wall Sawsbuck because of it's their typing resisting or being immune to all of its moves, then crippling Sawsbuck with a burn from Will-o-Wisp. Sawsbuck does have to ability to switch in on Leech Seeds from them but, it does not get much initiative from doing so.
  • Ninetales (Check): While being a good partner for Sawsbuck, it also can 1HKO Sawsbuck from full if Sawsbuck is not using Chlorophyll because Sawsbuck is slower than max Speed Ninetales. Ninetales can be 1HKO with no HP investment by Life Orb Double-Edge from Sawsbuck if it is running Chlorophyll.
  • Haunter (Check): Speed ties Sawsbuck with the ability to 1HKO it, is immune to Jump Kick and Return, and resists Horn Leech. Check only because it does not want to switch into a Wild Charge because of Haunter's low defenses.

Last edited:
Let me know if their is anything to be corrected or clarified, this is my first time doing an analysis so I am open to feedback. :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GravyClan there are a lot of problems here which mean this analysis is not ready for QC and should be moved back into the WIP stage if you intend to keep working on this. Before I list them, most of these would be addressed if you looked at other analyses in the QC 0/3 or 1/3 stage, read the analysis reservation thread where it details how to do an analysis, or asked people on discord, so if something doesn't make sense there are a lot of resources for how to do this. Anyway, the analysis should not be written up until it's received 2 QC checks. The whole thing, save checks and counters, ought to be in bullet points. The current set is not ideal at all and it's generally best to check with QC beforehand (at the moment I'm not 100% sure what the exact set would be, but it'd for sure be a SD Chlorophyll set meant for sun teams and Wild Charge certainly would never be on it). Also checks and counters should be much more general rather than individual Pokemon, things like "fighting types" or "fire types" rather than listing one random fighter or fire. Lastly, the detail here is abysmal. A ton of important info is missing from all of the sections except for UT and SD, which are meant to be very basic. Honestly, if this wasn't your first analysis I'd just lock this, but I'm willing to give this more time since you're just trying to get into the process. This is going to be significantly rewritten, but if you're still up for that then it doesn't have to end here.

Yeah I am just gonna play on Showdown, I really don't think I'm cut out to do analysis on anything. Thanks for reading it, sorry for wasting your time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)