National Dex Scrafty Is The Goat - Studio Ghibli ♥️

Hi Everyone! This is my first post here on Smogon and super excited about it! I hope you all enjoy this masterpiece of a team I am about to present you all with.

Scrafty x Studio Ghibli

1704598939028.png

Just a heads up, every Pokemon is themed around Studio Ghibli characters, and if you don't know what Studio Ghibli is, you are living under a rock. My top 3 pick on Studio Ghibli movies are...
1. My Neighbor Totoro - a timeless masterpiece.
2. Princess Mononoke - An older one, but one of the best ones.
3. Spirited Away - What got me into Studio Ghibli films.

Team Building
:xy/Scrafty:
The Star of the team, Scrafty. I've been using Scrafty ever since it came out in Gen 5, and there are some great pros and cons that comes with it. It has great natural bulk and physical prowess, alongside some key moves, and it's unique Dark/Fighting typing it has amazing stab type moves like Knock Off, and Drain Punch. Scrafty however has a 4x weakness to Fairy, one of the most prevalent typings in mid/high ladder.
:xy/Scrafty: :xy/Heatran:
Heatran is overall a great defensive Pokemon; decent HP and high Defense Sp.def, as well as high Sp. Atk to stave off repeating attacks. To counteract Scrafty's poor typing to fairy this is a great Pokemon with 4x resistance. Heatran itself although can be heavily exploited by ground and water type attacks.
:xy/Scrafty: :xy/Heatran: :xy/Gliscor:
Gliscor takes care of one of Heatran's glaring weaknesses being immune to ground type attacks. Gliscor is also a great pair with Heatran since it is also an amazing physical wall and has great utility in Defog and Roost.
:xy/Scrafty: :xy/Heatran: :xy/Gliscor: :xy/Serperior:
Serperior takes on the role to resist water types, since Heatran and Gliscor struggle opposing them. But more importantly, Serperior is an offensive presence with it's key ability, Contrary. It pairs well with it's strong hitting moves and takes advantage of the new tera-type, Stellar.
:xy/Scrafty: :xy/Heatran: :xy/Gliscor: :xy/Serperior: :xy/Darkrai:
Darkrai is another great offensive presence. With superior speed and special attack, and a vast movepool of great moves it can pick from, it is very strong and can leave the other team looking for counters.
:xy/Scrafty: :xy/Heatran: :xy/Gliscor: :xy/Serperior: :xy/Darkrai: :xy/Ninetales-alola:
Lastly, I was debating on this last Pokemon. I knew it had to be some form of support, and I was heavily thinking of maybe a wish-passer, but in testing, Ninetales-Alola seems to do great in the current meta-game and can reliably set up Aurora Veil and switch out. It also helps that Snow boosts it's defense and changes the weather, to counteract rain, sun and sand teams.

The Team

1704600412558.png

Princess Mononoke (Scrafty) (F) @ Big Root
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Bulk Up
Scrafty is Princess Mononoke. They both carry a sense of untamed wildness, defiance, and clash between humanity and nature.
The set I've chosen for Scrafty is something I've had in the works for a long time now. I've chosen a defensive setup with Bulk Up and max HP Evs, but I've given it the item Big Root, which allows the user's draining moves to 30% more HP. This allows Scrafty a reliable recovery option with it's stab move Drain Punch. It sounds good on paper, and it works really good in practice. I've also given Scrafty Knock Off for utility and Stab, as well as Poison Jab to, if it needs to, counter Fairy and Grass type Pokemon, which also pairs well with Tera-Type Poison.

1704601121312.png

Calcifer (Heatran) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Heatran is Calcifer. Calcifer is the living magic flame from Howls Moving Castle powers powers the industrial steel castle the movie takes place in.
I've chosen a heavily special defense Heatran with Max Evs in Sp. Def as well as Assault Vest, boosting it's Sp. Def to a whopping 513. Wow. This allows Heatran to easily switch in to special attackers with ease, and thanks to it's high Sp. Atk. be able to dish out serious damage back. Overall Heatran pairs well with this team due to it's amazing typing, flash fire, and a strong diverse moveset. I also want to note that I've given it HP grass to, if it ever needs to, deal with water types, which mostly are Sp. Attackers, and can't deal too serious damage to Heatran. Tera-Type flying to avoid damage from Ground type attacks.

1704601494803.png

The Gray Heron (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature

- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Gliscor is like The Gray Heron in the most recent Studio Ghibli movie, The Boy and The Heron (Amazing movie in theatres, please watch it!), because they kinda look similar, and can fly. That's all I could think of lol.
Due to Heatran being the Sp. Def wall it is only fitting that Gliscor is the Defensive wall. Gliscor has great HP and Defense, being boosted by it's Evs. Gliscor also has great utility in Defog and Toxic, getting rid of hazards and preventing Pokemon from sweeping/stalling. It has Roost to add to it's longevity, as well as Earthquake for an attacking move and stab. Tera-Type Water to counteract it's weakness to Ice and Water.

1704601807604.png

Haku (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast
- Glare
- Leech Seed
Serperior is Haku from Spirited Away. Sort of powerful on it's own, but it only takes it's true form and role when it powers up. (I am running out of ideas).
Serperior recently got a massive buff with the latest DLC, and has been amazing in the current Meta as of now. I've chosen a variation of the standard Serperior set, with Glare and Leech Seed to cripple opponents and heal Serperior (and others). Contray + Leaf Storm for strong damage, and Tera Blast. Tera Blast into Stellar Tera Type would do 100 base power, and neutral typing (from what I am aware of), but it would lower the Attack and Sp. Atk by one stage. This is great with Serperior as with contrary it actually raises it's Sp. Atk more, and gives it a universal move that is effective on all Pokemon. No more being walled by Steel or Fire types.

1704602193908.png

No Face (Darkrai) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse

- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis
Darkrai is No Face from Spirited Away. Both as eerie and ominous, they possess extraordinary, never-before-seen power.
Darkrai being introduced into Gen 9 OU Meta is a blessing while it lasts, which it might last. Darkrai overall is said to be a decent Pokemon, ever since Dark Void had been heavily nerfed, but it is still very powerful. The set I chose is one akin to Xurkitree. Z- Hypnosis for Speed (and pray for sleep), and a boosting move, in this case Nasty Plot, then you sweep. Dark Pulse as Stab, and Sludge bomb to counter Fairy Types. Tera-Type Poison to boost Sludge bomb as well as resist Fairy types as well as fighting types.

1704602487499.png

Yuki (Ninetales-Alola) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Aurora Veil
By appearance, Ninetales-Alola is most similarly to Yuki, from the movie The Cat Returns.
Lastly, Ninetales-Alola. I've chosen the standard setup with Light Clay + Aurora Veil to provide a substantial buff to defense for the entire team, something that works well with the overall team's synergy. Freeze-Dry is for stab + Super-Effective to Water types. Moonblast for powerful stab. Encore to trap Pokemons healing, setting up, and anything that isn't detrimental to switch out to another Pokemon. I've chosen Tera-Type steel to resist steel types, but it could be improved upon. I haven't a need to use Tera on this Pokemon yet.

Final Notes
Overall, this team does wonders if played correctly. I wouldn't say it takes a lot of skill to use, but you really have to know the team, and sometimes the opponent to win. From my testing I've played over 30 games and lost only once (I got paralyze hacked 6 turns in a row :skull:). I haven't come across any substantial threats or issues, but I kind of just wanted to share this team for others to see, use, test, and maybe modify in some way. If you guys have any thoughts or see any glaring issues or threats that counter this team, feel free to leave a comment, I take all forms of criticism and ideas. If you are curious or confused on how the team actually plays in testing, leave a reply and I'll respond back with a lot of replays from Pokemon Showdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)