Seadra (QC 3/3) GP (2/2)

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Seadra is your average Joe in Neverused, with rather average stats that prevent it from fulfilling a specific role on a team. Seadra has good Special Attack and fair Speed, but low Special Defense and no reliable recovery. Fortunately, it is a NFE Pokemon, which allows it to use Eviolite, raising its Defense to sky high levels. However, Seadra is still outclassed by Alomomola in terms of bulk due to the latter's access to recovery from Leftovers and Regenerator. In addition, it's also lacking in the offensive department when compared to behemoths like Samurott. Its poor Special Defense renders it extremely susceptible to the common Volt Switch as well. Hence, Seadra's only niche is taking advantage of its decent physical bulk and Disable to try to maintain a Substitute and fire off moderately powerful attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: SubDisable
move 1: Disable
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Hydro Pump / Scald
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Eviolite
ability: Poison Point
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Disable is Seadra's main niche, and Seadra has the power and Speed to pull off a SubDisable set. Switch into a Pokemon that Seadra forces out, set up a Substitute, and use Disable to play around the opponent's next switch-in. Seadra is very bulky on the physical side, allowing it to take hits from physical attackers, disable their main STAB move, and force them to use a weaker move that does not threaten it. Walls and bulky opponents fall to Seadra once their main attack is disabled, as their other moves usually lack the firepower to break its Substitutes. Disable can also prevent the opponent's wall from stalling Seadra out with recovery moves, as it isn't the strongest Pokemon and will most likely fail to 2HKO most of them.</p>

<p>Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB attack that can easily dent an opponent or force it out, but Scald is a more reliable option. Scald is able to cripple physical offensive opponents with burns so that they will have even more trouble breaking Substitutes. It is also useful for wearing down bulkier offensive Pokemon such as Samurott, Ludicolo, and Gardevoir. Finally, Ice Beam is great for coverage against Grass- and Dragon-types, and has a decent Base Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Poison Point is the better overall ability to wear down walls and physical attackers through the potential poison damage. Signal Beam can be used in place of Ice Beam to deal more damage to Exeggutor and Ludicolo. However, Ice Beam is preferred thanks to its higher Base Power and ability to hit Dragon-types super effectively. Surf can be used as it is more powerful than Scald, and has superior accuracy compared to Hydro Pump. A Disable + 3 attacks set can be used if the user prefers a more offensive set. However, Substitute is preferred thanks to its ability to block stray hits, stop status effects, and ease prediction. Hidden Power Grass can be used for coverage if you opt for a more offensive route.</p>

<p>Good teammates for Seadra are those that can set up entry hazards to inflict more residual damage onto opponents, taking advantage of its ability to force switches with Substitute and Disable. Seadra needs Toxic Spikes to break through most walls, as Seadra can fail to break through some opponents. Roselia and Garbodor are great Spikes and Toxic Spikes users to support Seadra. They resist the Grass-type attacks that Seadra dislikes, can force Grass-types out, and absorb Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Seadra. Ground-types such as Golem are immune to Electric-type attacks which threaten Seadra and can help set up Stealth Rock for the team. Meanwhile, Seadra can take the Water-type attacks aimed at them. Clerics such as Audino are also recommended as teammates, as Seadra absolutely hates any form of status due to its lack of reliable recovery and reliance on its Speed, bulk, and HP to make Substitutes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Protect and Disable set is a great alternative that doesn't force Seadra to lose 25% of its health every other turn. However, this set can leave Seadra vulnerable to status effects and surprise switches, so it's more difficult to utilize. A tank set might look good at first glance but Seadra is outclassed by Alomomola in this regard as the latter has access to recovery moves, Leftovers recovery, and Regenerator. Sniper can be used if you have a team that focuses on other status effects that Poison Point interferes with. A set that does not use Disable is not recommended, as Disable is one of Seadra's niche moves and sets it apart from other Water-types in the tier such as Simipour and Samurott. Clear Smog is a viable option to remove an opponent's stat boosts, but this job is better relegated to other teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Water-types are the first and foremost checks to Seadra, as it only has the weak Hidden Power Grass to hurt them. Grass-types are also threats, with Ludicolo and Roselia worthy of mention as they can switch into Ice Beam as well. Regice and Lapras pack Electric-type attacks and counter Seadra as well. Although Electric-types hate switching into Scald, those that have Volt Switch can harass Seadra, as Volt Switch can break Seadra's Substitute and switch out the attacker, preventing them from being Disabled. Special walls and tanks can stomach Seadra's attacks, but they can't do much back if their offensive move is Disabled (though Pokemon that use Protect can force mind games). Taunt users can prevent Seadra from executing its niche by blocking Substitute and Disable, and proceed to take Seadra down. Good examples include Samurott and Frillish which can take any attack that Seadra dishes out. Phazers and Encorers are more effective in shutting Seadra down than Taunters are. Grumpig and Munchlax are the best answers to Seadra, though Mandibuzz can take a hit in a pinch, while Encore users are more prominent, with Liepard, Volbeat, and Kadabra all fast enough to lock Seadra into Disable or Substitute before it can attack.</p>

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh you actually did it

That wall set is actually really bad, because it can't actually wall (Sawk 2HKOes, Swellow 2HKOes, and unlike mola, Seadra can't use Regenerator to pivot). Scald and Disable is cool, but in reality when you're not investing in Speed you can't at all beat the likes of Sawk since you're 2HKOed before you can hit it with Scald or Disable. Seadra is also worn down very easily because it has no reliable recovery and a lot of the time you don't have the luxury to use Rest because Seadra isn't very bulky at all.

I was discussing this with Raseri and he mentioned an offensive SubDisable set that he said was good. The set is something like:

[SET]
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Disable
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Signal Beam / Ice Beam
ability: Sniper
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

AC: Disable + 3 Attacks, HP Grass

According to Raseri, Seadra plays as such: switch it into something that it forces out, set up a sub and make use of it and disable to play around the next guy that comes in. Seadra has the power and speed to pull this off, and unlike say Samurott or Golduck, Seadra is very bulky on the physical side. This means it can disable the main STAB of physical attackers and force it to attack with a much weaker move that does not a lot to Seadra. Eg. Kangaskhan's Earthquake deals only around 25%, meaning Seadra can sub or just hit it while Kanga is forced to switch out. Meanwhile walls or bulky opponents suck vs it because usually their other moves don't have enough power once their main one is disabled. Obviously, this set has disadvantages such as competition from Rott and Simipour, as well as being worn down easily, and I've yet to test it, but this is the set Raseri wants onsite and it doesn't sound all too bad if you can make it work. You should give it a spin imo so you understand how it really works and how it should be played cos it's not simple at all.

I have always preferred having Ice Beam more than Signal Beam. Both hit eggy and most Grass-types, but Ice Beam also hits Dragons, while signal beam doesn't really do much to most psychic-types.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking of a set along similar lines to what Raseri posted (I'm a bit hesitant about Sub, but the advantages of it might be worth the loss of HP and no recovery). But I think Scald might well be a good second slash next to Hydro Pump. The burn helps make up for Seadra's poor HP, making the most out of its physical bulk, and may even help keep a Sub up against secondary physical attack options (if you Disable the main STAB).

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should also mention some of Seadra's direct cons in the Overview, such as: low SpD, no recovery, weakness to Volt Switch, and rather average stats which prevents it from fulfilling a specific role on a team.

Something you could mention in OO is Protect + Disable which works similar to Sub but doesn't force you to knock out 25% of your health every other turn.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not a big deal, but in the test battles I had with Seadra, I found Poison Point to be more useful than Sniper (30% chance of poison > 6.25% chance of a crit). I think it would worth mentioning that Poison Point is the better overall ability to wear down walls and physical attacks if you are not using Scald or have a team that focuses on other status effects that Poison Point interferes with (making Sniper the better ability). I admit, neither ability is that spectacular (why Seadra is the only one out of the Horsea line to not have SS is beyond me ;-;), but it should probably be mentioned.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Ok, I'll double post since this hasn't really been looked at since last year.

[Overview]
  • Fair speed
  • Good Special Attack
  • low SpD,
  • no recovery
Merge the quoted sections into their own points.

• rather average stats which prevents it from fulfilling a specific role on a team.
  • Outclassed by Alomomola in bulk and Samurott in attacking
These two points also go together. Add another point about how Seadra's only niche is taking advantage of its decent physical bulk and Disable to try and maintain a Sub and fire off moderately powerful attacks.

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Disable is Seadra's main niche, especially with 100% accuracy
  • Seadra has the power and speed to pull off a SubDisable set
Merge these points since they don't need to be separated at all.

• Switch into something that it forces out, set up a sub and make use of it and Disable to play around the opponents next switch-ins
  • Seadra is very bulky on the physical side, allowing it to take hits from physical attackers, disable their main STAB and force them to use an otherwise weaker move that does not threaten Seadra
  • Walls and Bulky opponents fall to Seadra once their main attack is disabled; as their other moves usually lack the firepower to break the Substitutes
All this can kind of just be merged together into a single point, since all you are trying to explain is how to make use of this strategy (force something out, set up Sub on switch, try to Disable their main STAB move or super effective coverage move, set up more Subs, attack when possible). You can write a longer explanation in the write up.

The points about the abilities go in AC, and might as well be merged as well since neither ability is significant enough to really explain in-depth. As for Scald, also mention that it is useful for wearing down bulkier offensive mons such as Samurott, Ludicolo, Gardevoir, etc.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

Honestly, I'm half tempted to suggest that Surf go to Other Options since Seadra prefers either the power from Hydro Pump or the Burn chance from Scald much more. If QC doesn't care for Scald, then it can go here instead. Signal Beam hits most Psychic-types worse than Hydro Pump, make it Ludicolo instead. Remove the Scolipede mention here. Mention cleric teammates such as Audino, as Seadra absolutely hates any form of status as all due to its lack of recovery and Lefties and reliance on its speed, bulk, and HP to make subs. Seadra is probably best used on balanced and bulky offensive teams anyways, as there are much better options for stall and offense.

[Other Options]
I still think Surf should go here, but wait for QC if you aren't sure. Ugh Clear Smog and RestTalk are really the only other moves that should be mentioned, it has nothing else that deserves to be noticed (Icy Wind, Muddy Water, Dragon Pulse, Endure, Focus Energy + Sniper are interesting gimmicks but have no place here imo).

[Checks and Counters]
Water-types should be first and foremost here, as Seadra only has Scald and the weak HP Grass to hurt them. Grass-types should go after that, with Ludicolo and Roselia being significant mentions as they can switch into Ice Beam as well. Regice and Lapras are much better mentions than Electric-types as they are counters, while Electric-types hate switching into Scald (not too much else run Electric moves that I can think of). Special walls and tanks can stomach Seadra's attacks, but they can't do much back if their offensive move is Disabled (though Pokemon that use Protect can force mind games). Taunt users are fine, but Misdreavus isn't particularly notable as it hates taking repeated Hydro Pumps or Scalds (especially Burned). Truthfully, there aren't really many Taunt users that deal with Seadra well enough to be considered a check even, except Samurott and lol Frillish. Phazers and Encorers are probably more effective than Taunt, so they might be fine as a lump mention. If you want to separate them, Grumpig and lol Munchlazx are the best ones against Seadra, though Bastiodon and Mandibuzz can take a hit in a pinch; Encore users are more prominent, with Liepard, Volbeat, and Kadabra all fast enough to lock it into Disable or Substitute before Seadra can attack.

Do this and I think it'll be ready for QC checks Metal Sonic

Last edited:

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS]
  • You really don't need to mention Disable's accuracy buff since it happened such a long time ago, everyone knows about it at this point.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Tbh I would remove the mention of Sniper, since "teams that focus on other status" will only interfere with Seadra's playstyle and end up not being very good teammates. Put it in OO if you want but I'd prefer it not be in AC.
[Other Options]
  • On the tank set I wouldn't say its low HP makes it unviable since it's still extremely bulky (even bulkier than standard 104 / 252+ Alomomola o_o), but it's still outclassed because it doesn't have Wish + Regen + Lefties.
[Checks and Counters]
  • When mentioning Electrics, I would add that Volt Switch can break its Sub and get them out which prevents it from being disabled.
Do this and I'll stamp Metal Sonic

Blast

Regice and Lapras pack Electric-type attacks and counter Seadra as well, and function as better counters than Electric-types, as Electric-types hate switching into Scald.
I wouldn't compare Regice + Lapras to Electric-types when all they share in common is access to Electric-type moves. I'd just say Regice and Lapras can counter it and mention Electric-types in a different point altogether.

Also remove Bastiodon from C&C as it can't counter or even check Seadra at all.

QC 1/3

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In AC when you talk about what Disable do, you could also add a mention that it can also prevent the opponent's from stalling you out with recovery moves as Seadra isn't the strongest Pokemon and will most likely fail to 2HKO most of them.

I also feel like Seadra NEEDS Toxic Spikes to break through most walls because as I said, Seadra isn't the most powerful Pokemon, and Alomomola (for exemple) can easily PP stall it, so I would make sure to make it clear that Garbodor and Roselia are probably its best teammates.

Everything else looks good!

QC 3/3 Metal Sonic

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Placeholder.

EDIT:

Add
Remove
[Overview]

<p>Seadra is your average Joe in NeverUsed, with rather average stats which prevent it from fulfilling a specific role on a team. Seadra has good Special Attack and fair Speed, but also low Special Defense and no reliable recovery. Fortunately, it is a NFE Pokemon, which allows it access to an use Eviolite boost, raising its Defense to sky high levels. Yet, Seadra is still outclassed by Alomomola in bulk due to its lack of recovery from Leftovers, Regenerator or reliable recovery, and while it's also lacking in the offensive department when compared to behemoths like Samurott. Its poor Special Defense renders it extremely susceptible to the common Volt Switch as well. Hence, Seadra's only niche is taking advantage of its decent physical bulk and Disable to try and maintain a Substitute and fire off moderately powerful attacks.</p>

[SET]
move 1: Hydro Pump / Scald
move 2: Disable
move 3: Substitute
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spd Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Disable is Seadra's main niche, especially with 100% accuracy and Seadra has the power and Speed to pull off a SubDisable set. Switch into something that it Seadra forces out, set up a Substitute,[add] and make use of it and use Disable to play around the opponents next switch-ins. Seadra is very bulky on the physical side, allowing it to take hits from physical attackers, disable their main STAB and force them to use an otherwise weaker move that does not threaten Seadra. Walls and bulky opponents fall to Seadra once their main attack is disabled,[add] as their other moves usually lack the firepower to break the Seadra's Substitutes. Disable can also prevent the opponent's wall from stalling you Seadra out with recovery moves,[add] as Seadra it isn't the strongest Pokemon and will most likely fail to 2HKO most of them.</p>

<p>Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB attack that can dent an opponent or force it out easily, but Scald is a great option that is more reliable option than Hydro Pump. This is because Scald is also able to cripple physical offensive opponents further with burns so that they will have even more trouble breaking Substitutes. It is also useful for wearing down bulkier offensive mons such as Samurott, Ludicolo, and Gardevoir. Finally, Ice Beam is great for Ice-type coverage against Grass- and Dragon-types, with decent Base Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Poison Point is the better overall ability to wear down walls and physical attackers through the potential poison damage if you are not using Scald. Signal Beam can be used in place of Ice Beam to deal more damage to Exeggutor and Ludicolo. However, Ice Beam is preferred thanks to its higher Base Power and ability to hit Dragon-types super effectively. Surf can be used as a more powerful option than Scald, and as an option but with superior accuracy compared to Hydro Pump. A Disable + 3 Attacks set can also be used if the user prefers a more offensive set. However, Substitute is preferred as the main set thanks to its ability to block stray hits, status effects,[add] and also ease prediction. Hidden Power Grass can be used for coverage in this case if you opt for a more offensive route.</p>

<p>Good teammates for Seadra are those that can set up entry hazards to inflict extra more residual damage onto opponents, taking advantage of Seadra's ability to forces switches thanks to Substitute and Disable. Seadra needs Toxic Spikes to break through most walls, as Seadra can fail to break through some opponents.[add], thus Roselia and Garbodor are great Spikes and Toxic Spikes users to support Seadra. They also resist the Grass-type attacks that Seadra dislikes and can also force those Grass-types out, while absorbing Toxic Spikes which can easily cripple Seadra. Ground-type Pokemon such as Golem are immune to Electric-type attacks which threaten Seadra and can help set up Stealth Rocks Rock for the team. Meanwhile, Seadra can take the Water-type attacks aimed at these teammates. Cleric teammates such as Audino are also recommended, as Seadra absolutely hates any form of status as all due to its lack of recovery moves and Leftovers,[add] and reliance on its Speed, bulk, and HP to make Substitutes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Protect and Disable set is also a great alternative that doesn't force Seadra to lose 25% of its health every other turn. However, this set can cause Seadra to be prone to status effects or surprise switches, thus is so it's more difficult to play. A Tank set may look good on first glance but it is outclassed by Alomomola as Seadra lacks access to recovery moves, Leftovers recovery,[add] and even Regenerator. Sniper can be used when you have a team that focuses on other status effects that Poison Point interferes with. A set which does not use Disable is not recommended, as Disable is one of Seadra's niche moves which sets it apart from other Water-types in the tier such as Simipour and Samurott. Clear Smog is a viable option to remove an opponent's stat boosts, but this job is better relegated to other teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Water-types are the first and foremost checks, as Seadra only has Scald and the weak HP Hidden Power Grass to really hurt them. Grass-types are also threats, with Ludicolo and Roselia being significant mentions as they can switch into Ice Beam as well. Regice and Lapras pack Electric-type attacks and counter Seadra as well. Although Electric-types hate switching into Scald, those that have Volt Switch can harass Seadra, as it Volt Switch can break Seadra's Substitute and switch out the attacker, preventing it from being Disabled. Special walls and tanks can stomach Seadra's attacks, but they can't do much back if their offensive move is Disabled (though Pokemon that use Protect can force mind games). Taunt users can prevent Seadra from executing its niche, by blocking Substitute and Disable, and proceed to take down Seadra down. These Good examples include Samurott and Frillish that who can take any attack that Seadra dishes at it out. Phazers and Encorers are more effective in shutting down Seadra than Taunt; Grumpig and Munchlax are the best answers to Seadra, though Mandibuzz can take a hit in a pinch; Encore users are more prominent, with Liepard, Volbeat, and Kadabra all fast enough to lock it into Disable or Substitute before Seadra can attack.</p>

Good job overall, but I recommend taking another look at our grammar standards.

I also think you should reorder the set a bit and put Substitute and Disable as option 1 and 2, and move the Water moves down to the third slot.

GP Approved 1/2

Last edited:

blitzlefan

shake it off!
[Overview]

<p>Seadra is your average Joe in Neverused, with rather average stats that prevent it from fulfilling a specific role on a team. Seadra has good Special Attack and fair Speed, but low Special Defense and no reliable recovery. Fortunately, it is a NFE Pokemon, which allows it to use Eviolite, raising its Defense to sky high levels. However, Seadra is still outclassed by Alomomola in terms of bulk due to the latter's access to recovery from Leftovers and Regenerator. In addition, it's also lacking in the offensive department when compared to behemoths like Samurott. Its poor Special Defense renders it extremely susceptible to the common Volt Switch as well. Hence, Seadra's only niche is taking advantage of its decent physical bulk and Disable to try to maintain a Substitute and fire off moderately powerful attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Disable is Seadra's main niche, and Seadra has the power and Speed to pull off a SubDisable set. Switch into a Pokemon that Seadra forces out, set up a Substitute, and use Disable to play around the opponent's next switch-in. Seadra is very bulky on the physical side, allowing it to take hits from physical attackers, disable their main STAB move, and force them to use a weaker move that does not threaten it. Walls and bulky opponents fall to Seadra once their main attack is disabled, as their other moves usually lack the firepower to break its Substitutes. Disable can also prevent the opponent's wall from stalling Seadra out with recovery moves, as it isn't the strongest Pokemon and will most likely fail to 2HKO most of them.</p>

<p>Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB attack that can easily dent an opponent or force it out, but Scald is a more reliable option. Scald is able to cripple physical offensive opponents with burns so that they will have even more trouble breaking Substitutes. It is also useful for wearing down bulkier offensive Pokemon such as Samurott, Ludicolo, and Gardevoir. Finally, Ice Beam is great for coverage against Grass- and Dragon-types, and has a decent Base Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Poison Point is the better overall ability to wear down walls and physical attackers through the potential poison damage. Signal Beam can be used in place of Ice Beam to deal more damage to Exeggutor and Ludicolo. However, Ice Beam is preferred thanks to its higher Base Power and ability to hit Dragon-types super effectively. Surf can be used as it is more powerful than Scald, and has superior accuracy compared to Hydro Pump. A Disable + 3 attacks set can be used if the user prefers a more offensive set. However, Substitute is preferred thanks to its ability to block stray hits, stop status effects, and ease prediction. Hidden Power Grass can be used for coverage if you opt for a more offensive route.</p>

<p>Good teammates for Seadra are those that can set up entry hazards to inflict more residual damage onto opponents, taking advantage of its ability to force switches with Substitute and Disable. Seadra needs Toxic Spikes to break through most walls, as Seadra can fail to break through some opponents. Roselia and Garbodor are great Spikes and Toxic Spikes users to support Seadra. They resist the Grass-type attacks that Seadra dislikes, can force Grass-types out, and absorb Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Seadra. Ground-types such as Golem are immune to Electric-type attacks which threaten Seadra and can help set up Stealth Rock for the team. Meanwhile, Seadra can take the Water-type attacks aimed at them. Clerics such as Audino are also recommended as teammates, as Seadra absolutely hates any form of status due to its lack of reliable recovery and reliance on its Speed, bulk, and HP to make Substitutes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Protect and Disable set is a great alternative that doesn't force Seadra to lose 25% of its health every other turn. However, this set can leave Seadra vulnerable to status effects and surprise switches, so it's more difficult to utilize. A tank set might look good at first glance but Seadra is outclassed by Alomomola in this regard as the latter has access to recovery moves, Leftovers recovery, and Regenerator. Sniper can be used if you have a team that focuses on other status effects that Poison Point interferes with. A set that does not use Disable is not recommended, as Disable is one of Seadra's niche moves and sets it apart from other Water-types in the tier such as Simipour and Samurott. Clear Smog is a viable option to remove an opponent's stat boosts, but this job is better relegated to other teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Water-types are the first and foremost checks to Seadra, as it only has the weak Hidden Power Grass to hurt them. Grass-types are also threats, with Ludicolo and Roselia worthy of mention as they can switch into Ice Beam as well. Regice and Lapras pack Electric-type attacks and counter Seadra as well. Although Electric-types hate switching into Scald, those that have Volt Switch can harass Seadra, as Volt Switch can break Seadra's Substitute and switch out the attacker, preventing them from being Disabled. Special walls and tanks can stomach Seadra's attacks, but they can't do much back if their offensive move is Disabled (though Pokemon that use Protect can force mind games). Taunt users can prevent Seadra from executing its niche by blocking Substitute and Disable, and proceed to take Seadra down. Good examples include Samurott and Frillish which can take any attack that Seadra dishes out. Phazers and Encorers are more effective in shutting Seadra down than Taunters are. Grumpig and Munchlax are the best answers to Seadra, though Mandibuzz can take a hit in a pinch, while Encore users are more prominent, with Liepard, Volbeat, and Kadabra all fast enough to lock Seadra into Disable or Substitute before it can attack.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Seadra is your average Joe in NeverUused, with rather average stats whichthat prevent it from fulfilling a specific role on a team. Seadra has good Special Attack and fair Speed, but also low Special Defense and no reliable recovery. Fortunately, it is a NFE Pokemon, which allows it to use Eviolite, raising its Defense to sky high levels. YetHowever, Seadra is still outclassed by Alomomola in terms of bulk due to itsthe lack oftter's access to recovery from Leftovers, and Regenerator or reliable recovery. In addition, while it's also lacking in the offensive department when compared to behemoths like Samurott. Its poor Special Defense renders it extremely susceptible to the common Volt Switch as well. Hence, Seadra's only niche is taking advantage of its decent physical bulk and Disable to try andto maintain a Substitute and fire off moderately powerful attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Disable is Seadra's main niche, and Seadra has the power and Speed to pull off a SubDisable set. Switch into somethinga Pokemon that Seadra forces out, set up a Substitute, and use Disable to play around the opponent's next switch-in. Seadra is very bulky on the physical side, allowing it to take hits from physical attackers, disable their main STAB move, and force them to use an otherwise weaker move that does not threaten Seadrait. Walls and bulky opponents fall to Seadra once their main attack is disabled, as their other moves usually lack the firepower to break Seadra'its Substitutes. Disable can also prevent the opponent's wall from stalling Seadra out with recovery moves, as it isn't the strongest Pokemon and will most likely fail to 2HKO most of them.</p>

<p>Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB attack that can easily dent an opponent or force it out easily, but Scald is a more reliable option. Scald is also able to cripple physical offensive opponents with burns so that they will have even more trouble breaking Substitutes. It is also useful for wearing down bulkier offensive Pokemons such as Samurott, Ludicolo, and Gardevoir. Finally, Ice Beam is great for coverage against Grass- and Dragon-types, withand has a decent Base Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Poison Point is the better overall ability to wear down walls and physical attackers through the potential poison damage. Signal Beam can be used in place of Ice Beam to deal more damage to Exeggutor and Ludicolo. However, Ice Beam is preferred thanks to its higher Base Power and ability to hit Dragon-types super effectively. Surf can be used as ait is more powerful option than Scald, and has an option with superior accuracy compared to Hydro Pump. A Disable + 3 Aattacks set can also be used if the user prefers a more offensive set. However, Substitute is preferred thanks to its ability to block stray hits, stop status effects, and also ease prediction. Hidden Power Grass can be used for coverage if you opt for a more offensive route.</p>

<p>Good teammates for Seadra are those that can set up entry hazards to inflict more residual damage onto opponents, taking advantage of Seadra'its ability to force switches withanks to Substitute and Disable. Seadra needs Toxic Spikes to break through most walls, as Seadra can fail to break through some opponents. Roselia and Garbodor are great Spikes and Toxic Spikes users to support Seadra. They resist the Grass-type attacks that Seadra dislikes and, can also force Grass-types out, whileand absorbing Toxic Spikes, which can cripple Seadra. Ground-type Pokemons such as Golem are immune to Electric-type attacks which threaten Seadra and can help set up Stealth Rock for the team. Meanwhile, Seadra can take the Water-type attacks aimed at these teammates. Cleric teammates such as Audino are also recommended as teammates, as Seadra absolutely hates any form of status due to its lack of recovery moves and Leftliable recovers,y and reliance on its Speed, bulk, and HP to make Substitutes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Protect and Disable set is also a great alternative that doesn't force Seadra to lose 25% of its health every other turn. However, this set can causleave Seadra to be pronvulnerable to status effects orand surprise switches, so it's more difficult to playutilize. A Ttank set mayight look good onat first glance but itSeadra is outclassed by Alomomola as Seadrain this regard as the lacktter has access to recovery moves, Leftovers recovery, and Regenerator. Sniper can be used whenif you have a team that focuses on other status effects that Poison Point interferes with. A set whichthat does not use Disable is not recommended, as Disable is one of Seadra's niche moves whichand sets it apart from other Water-types in the tier such as Simipour and Samurott. Clear Smog is a viable option to remove an opponent's stat boosts, but this job is better relegated to other teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Water-types are the first and foremost checks, as to Seadra, as it only has the weak Hidden Power Grass to really hurt them. Grass-types are also threats, with Ludicolo and Roselia being significantworthy of mentions as they can switch into Ice Beam as well. Regice and Lapras pack Electric-type attacks and counter Seadra as well. Although Electric-types hate switching into Scald, those that have Volt Switch can harass Seadra, as Volt Switch can break Seadra's Substitute and switch out the attacker, preventing ithem from being Disabled. Special walls and tanks can stomach Seadra's attacks, but they can't do much back if their offensive move is Disabled (though Pokemon that use Protect can force mind games). Taunt users can prevent Seadra from executing its niche, by blocking Substitute and Disable, and proceed to take Seadra down. Good examples include Samurott and Frillish whoich can take any attack that Seadra dishes out. Phazers and Encorers are more effective in shutting down Seadra down than Taunt;ers are. Grumpig and Munchlax are the best answers to Seadra, though Mandibuzz can take a hit in a pinch;, while Encore users are more prominent, with Liepard, Volbeat, and Kadabra all fast enough to lock itSeadra into Disable or Substitute before Seadrait can attack.</p>

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)