Approved Self-KO Clause (Gens 1-4)

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Based on what I've read on Smogon:

PS! elimination tournaments, and ladder assuming it forces wins, should have Self-KO Clause implemented in Gens 1-4 tiers, since it's the intended method to determine a winner in cases where a battle must end in a winner.

Self-KO clause should cause the user of explosion, self-destruct, destiny bond or perish song to lose the battle in a situation where both sides have their last remaining Pokémon KOed on the same turn resulting from these moves.

By default, these cases are all ties? (or intepreted to be in the case of RBY) This should be the result for PS! round robin tournaments and/or any other challenges.

I'm sure there's people that can explain the mechanics in better detail, accuracy, and precision than me.

I'm deducing this mainly from what's stated on here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tournament-rules-and-general-guidelines.3642760/

Last edited:

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To be a bit clearer, the major problem is actually there isn't ties when there is supposed to be. Self-KO Clause is just generally preferred to the exact opposite, current mechanics, which are made up as far as I'm aware. Perhaps the priority is to fix to the genuine mechanics, determine how the ladders interpret the tie (regarding calculation of points - maybe this is already done?), introduce Self-KO Clause and then introduce some logic that recognises pure best-of-1 formats (with no rematches), that then force Self-KO Clause in. I don't know whether PS! tournaments reset the match if a game ends in a tie or not.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
This was fixed and implemented for Stad1 a while ago!
Just found out this is a thread; Enigami is set to implement this properly as part of fixing the Pokemon Stadium sim, as it forces ties there when you should lose. Pokemon Stadium's Self-KO Clause runs regardless of what you play, even in "Anything Goes".

Anyway, I'll add some clarity on the rule since it seems a bit iffy in places. The general idea of the rule is best summed up by Pokemon Stadium here;
1592813271700.png
Basically, regardless of what situation it is, if you click Self-Destruct or Explosion with your last Pokemon, you will be handed a game loss. On a side note, in the case that Pokemon Stadium 2 is ever given a sim, Perish Song and Destiny Bond will fail if it's your last Pokemon. I believe this also applies in Pokemon Colosseum/XD or Pokemon Battle Revolution, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)