Separate Analyses For Each Tier For Specific Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo, first I'd like to say that this is pretty much the coolest forum idea ever. I'm already excited for all of the cool programs this'll bring ^_^.

Anyhow, my first proposal concerns Smogon analyses. There are a wide variety of Pokémon that are viable in more than one tier, most notably Latias, Blissey, and Scizor in Ubers / OU; Porygon2 in OU, UU, and NU; Azumarill and Yanmega in OU and UU; and so on. These Pokémon often have different movesets for different metagames, and in the past analysis writers have bent over backward to accomodate multiple tiers in one analysis, most notably Latias.

With the advent of Team Options, there's yet another section that absolutely can't be written without the tiering of the Pokémon in question in mind. Rather than make for complicated analyses that have "Uber Team Options", "OU Team Options" everywhere, I think we should just have a separate analysis for each tier.

Not every analysis has to be long for each tier; for example the OU Nidoking analysis would probably have just one set (Crush King) on it. Not every Pokémon even needs an alternate tier analysis. This format would more easily accomodate tier changes as well as making currently confusing analyses more readable, while promoting writing down many of the niche effective sets in alternate metagames such as Ubers.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Yo, first I'd like to say that this is pretty much the coolest forum idea ever. I'm already excited for all of the cool programs this'll bring ^_^.

Anyhow, my first proposal concerns Smogon analyses. There are a wide variety of Pokémon that are viable in more than one tier, most notably Latias, Blissey, and Scizor in Ubers / OU; Porygon2 in OU, UU, and NU; Azumarill and Yanmega in OU and UU; and so on. These Pokémon often have different movesets for different metagames, and in the past analysis writers have bent over backward to accomodate multiple tiers in one analysis, most notably Latias.

With the advent of Team Options, there's yet another section that absolutely can't be written without the tiering of the Pokémon in question in mind. Rather than make for complicated analyses that have "Uber Team Options", "OU Team Options" everywhere, I think we should just have a separate analysis for each tier.

Not every analysis has to be long for each tier; for example the OU Nidoking analysis would probably have just one set (Crush King) on it. Not every Pokémon even needs an alternate tier analysis. This format would more easily accomodate tier changes as well as making currently confusing analyses more readable, while promoting writing down many of the niche effective sets in alternate metagames such as Ubers.
At first glance this seems like a pretty good idea, but when you really take a closer look into it, there aren't that many Pokemon that have enough sets where two different pages would be nessecary. Scizor has one, possibly two viable sets in Ubers, and things such as Quagsire and Jirachi only have one. I don't see how having a separate "Ubers Page" for these Pokemon would be needed, there would hardly be any sets on there. Of course, I only named a few Pokemon but I doubt that there are many Pokemon with more than three viable movesets for other tiers.

Basically I just feel it wouldn't be worth it to have a separate page for one or two sets. It's easier to just keep it the way that it is now.

whats wrong with just putting the teir in the set name? just have one nidoking page with something like:

mixed attacker (uu)
mixed attacker (ou)
sr lead
choice band
choice scarf
subpunch

a lot of the current analysis already do this too so the move seems to be somewhat of a wasted effort.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I agree that we do not need separate pages for separate metagames. There are too few pokemon that fall into that situation for it to be warranted and it is easily handled by designations on the current pages. It is a worthwhile project to make sure that each set does have a metagame designation on it for those particular pokemon, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)