Serperior Strikes (Currently sitting at #44 in NU)

So, this is my first RMT. This team revolves around Serperior. I made this team in about 20 minutes and is exactly what I started with; I have not changed anything. It does pretty well and most threats are covered. So, let's see the team!

Regirock @ Leftovers (Clear Body)
EV's- 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Def/ 4 Def. [Careful]

-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

Ah, Regirock, the best Stealth Rock setter in NU. It can tank most hits, physical and special, alll day. The Sp. Def EV's are there to take special hits, and the little investment into Def. is because of how massive it is alone. As for the moveset, Stealth Rocks is there because it nets KO's that are otherwise unobtainable and halts Pokemon such as Swellow, Braviary, and Magmortar from switching in freely. Thunder Wave slows down Pokemon, which is helpful because it can cripple those speedy Poke's such as Cincinno.
Rock Slide is for reliability and ParaFlinch with T. Wave. Earthquake hits Golem and friends much harder than Rock Slide. Regirock can tank hits, and that's why I use it other than the more common Stealth Rock-ers.

Cryogonal @ Life Orb (Levitate)
EV's- 252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp. Def [Timid]

-Ice Beam
-HP Ground
-Rapid Spin
-Recover

Cryogonal is the best out of the few spinners in NU. I'll be sad to see it gone to RU, but what can you do? I'll need some suggestions on what to replace this with when it does move up, but for now, let's talk about what Cryo does for me. The EV Spread is fairly simple, 252 Sp. Attack for max attack without a Modest nature and 252 Speed and Timid to outspeed most Pokes in NU. Ice Beam is for STAB and nailing Altaria, who stops this team in it's tracks. HP Ground is for Probopass, Bastiodon, etc. who resist Ice Beam. Rapid Spin is for team support, as hazards rape this team. Recover is for longevity. I use Cryogonal because it is the most reliable spinner and has never failed to spin. It also packs quite a punch with great coverage.

Magmortar @ Expert Belt (Vital Spirit)
EV's- 252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp. Def [Timid]

-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-HP Grass

Expert Belt? On Magmortar? You read right. Since almost all Magmortars are Choice Scarf, this nets me many suprise kills. Say that they have Tangela. I bring in Magmortar, not sleep because of Vital Spirit, and go for Fire Blast. If he stays in, dead Tangela. But who would do that? So he brings in a water type to resist. Quagsire comes in, tanks it like a champ, but gets destroyed soon after with HP Grass. They never see it coming. The EV Spread is simple. Fire Blast for great STAB power, Thunderbolt for coverage against Waters mostly, Focus Blast for Probopass and pals, and HP Grass for Quagsire, Golem, and a reliable way to hit Regirock if he is at low health. Everyone should consider Expert Belt Magmortar, as he rapes. I need a good replacement for this guy too, as he, along with Cryogonal, are moving on up to RU. < /3

Rotom-S @ Choice Scarf (Levitate lol)
EV's- 252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def [Timid]

-Thunderbolt
-Air Slash
-HP Grass
-Trick

Rotom-S (The fan Rotom, in case you didn't know) is hands-down the best revenge killer in NU. It can outspeed and kill so many Pokemon in NU. The EV's are standard for a Choice Scarf attacker except Timid. Timid nature is EXTREMELY important, as it allows me to outspeed and revenge Gorebyss/Huntail at +2 Speed. The moveset is standard as well. Thunderbolt over Volt Switch as it is reliable. Air Slash is probably the most important move on this moveset because it is literally my only way of killing Choice Scarf Sawk once it is in safely. HP Grass for Ground Types, and Trick for crippling walls. (Especially Grumping; I hate that thing so much.)

Samurott @ Leftovers (Torrent)
EV's- 252 Attack/ 144 Speed/ 112 HP [Adamant]

-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Megahorn

Samurott is one of the two Unova starters I have on this team. It functions as my mid- to late-game sweeper. It can force switches, set up a SD, and proceed to butt-rape everything. (Well, not everything, but you get the point.) The EV's seem random, but they have a purpose. Max attack with an Adamant nature is for max attacking power, the speed is for outspeeding Modest Exeggutor, and the HP is for more overall bulk. Swords Dance is for making my attack stat terrorizing. Waterfall will take a chunk out of anything not named Alomomola, Leafeon, Tangela, or Wartortle. Aqua Jet is for hitting the many Pokemon faster than me hard, especially if I'm in Torrent range. And Megahorn is the blessing that allows me to smack Grass types who resist my Stab hard. Samurott can take down the Special Tanks/Walls that stop Serperior from sweeping (Not Altaria, but Serperior can set up on that). It also takes out Fire types who threaten my Serperior AS WELL AS having amazing Defensive synergy with it. These two were a match made in heaven.

Serperior @ Leftovers (Overgrow)
EV's- 252 Sp. Attack/ 196 Speed/ 60 HP [Timid]

-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-HP Rock

Serperior is the one of the best Pokemon in NU. I'm not even joking. Its stats don't show it, but it really is. It's blazing speed combined with decent bulk allow it to set up easily. The EV's are a bit weird, but they make sense. Max Sp. Attack without Modest nature is for hitting harder, the Speed along with a Timid nature allow it to outspeed base 105's, and the HP is for more overall bulk. Substitute allows me to set up on all most Water, Grass, and Ground types. Calm Mind boosts Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense making Serperior more powerful as well as more bulky. Giga Drain is for Stab and recovery, and HP Rock is for coverage on Fire and Flying types. If all counters are gone, and I still have Serperior, it's GG. I can set up and proceed to sweep. Serperior and Samurott work wonders together, as if one sweeps, the other can come in and clean up.

This team has been successful for me even though it was really easy to make. It has gotten me pretty high up the ladder. I'll be sad to have Cryogonal AND Magmortar gone the next tier shift, and I'll probably have to retire or severely restructure this team.

Threat List

Grumpig is a problem, especially if it has Rest, because nothing on my team can hit it hard aside from Samurott's Megahorn.

Choice Scarf Sawk is a problem, too, if I lose Rotom because it can outspeed and KO all of my Pokemon. I usually have to sac a Pokemon to come in with Regirock and paralyze it.

There are no other threats that I'm aware of, so if you see any please let me know. This is my first RMT, and I'm a fairly new player, and any and every suggestion helps. Thanks so much for reading this far and please reply!

-Jrod

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Hey dude and welcome to Smogon!! I think I've played this team a few times so I have some suggestions that I think will help you a lot!

So first I'm gonna help you replace Magmortar and Cryogonal! So you have a big weakness to Sawk and fighting types in general and I have the perfect Pokemon for you. CM Musharna patches up your weakness to fighting types and also will benefit greatly from Cryogonal leaving. Musharna can set up on literally all of the meta and is a great Pokemon in general. (I'll include the sets at the end). Now the big things that wall Musharna and can do a number to your team as well, are ghost types like Haunter.

So the next thing I'll suggest that helps with that problem and is Skuntank. With Pursuit and Sucker Punch Skuntank can deal with most Ghost types and also things like opposing Musharna that might cause you trouble as well. Skuntank is also pretty bulky as well and with Taunt can beat Stall single handedly.

Now the rest of this stuff is gonna be really minor and small. Firstly I suggest using Life Orb over Leftovers on Serperior. This may seem counterproductive on a mon with Substitute but it actually works very well as LO gives you instant power and also you can sub down to Overgrow range and hit something with a boosted Giga Drain. It works well with CM as well. Also just stick with a 252 Spatk / 252 Spe EV spread on Serperior as its nice to tie with opposing Serperiors and the extra bulk really doesn't do anything at all. Also I think you should use HP Ice over HP Rock as that was mainly for Magmortar and Cryogonal who are both leaving. And HP Ice gives you coverage on Flying mons still but also on opposing Grass types and Shelgon which can wall your team to hell and back.

Next try out Drain Punch over EQ on Regirock as the only thing EQ really hits is poison types and the most popular one(Garbodor) just sets up spikes on you. Drain Punch at least gives you some recovery although small. And lets you hit Air Balloon Probopass as well.

And lastly try out the Jolly SD Lum set for Samurott. It outspeeds things like Adamant Braviary, Adamant Absol, and most Skuntank which is good for your team because it allows Musharna and Serperior to sweep easier.

Hopefully I helped and good luck dude!!

tl;dr
HP Ice over HP Rock on Serp and Max Speed
Try Drain Punch over EQ on Regi
Skuntank over Cryo
Musharna over Magmortar
Try the Jolly SD Lum set on Samurott

Sets:

Musharna (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Moonlight

Skuntank (M) @ Leftovers/ Dread Plate
Trait: Stench
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

Samurott (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

Serperior (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thanks! And thanks so much for the suggestions. All that must have taken you forever! I'll be sure to make those changes! & I lol'd at the tl;dr. If you're curious, on Pokemon Online, my username is Jrod221.

Yeah! I'm pretty sure I've battled you, too. That's neat! But, is the team solid?

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
No problem and nah I like to rate teams its fun! I'm nearly positive I've played you before. I'm _Death_. Maybe we'll play each other again!

Yeah from what I've seen I think you're good to go! If anything comes up just post here again with whats been bothering you and we'll try and fix it!

Edit: Yeah what FLCL said is true. Volt Switch is a must on Choiced Electrics
Edit 2: You can also use Thunder Wave over EQ on WhiteDmist's set

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Just a small nitpick, but you should always use Volt Switch as your main Electric type attack on Choiced Rotom-S. It helps a lot in maintaining momentum which is huge for a team like this. If you really want to use Thunderbolt, try it over Hidden Power Grass or Trick, although I wouldn't suggest using it at all.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice team! I have to agree with everything MMF and FLCL said. My only real suggestion otherwise would be to change Regirock to a more offensive variant. You have better recovery with Drain Punch, and can still take the physical hits that defensive Regirock can, while the loss of Thunder Wave is balanced out by your priority and Scarf Rotom. Here's the set:

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

As for threats, your team is very well-balanced. A smart player who predicts with a Banded Braviary can cause you a lot of trouble, as it 2HKOs all of your team except for Musharna. That is really the most notable threat, unless you're facing a Magmortar. Since it is still NU, I'd watch out for it, especially the LO and Expert Belt (ironically) sets. There are a few uncommon threats to your team that you might as well watch out for though. Things like RestTalk DD Shelgon, Specs Altaria, and Banded Pinsir can all cause trouble for your team. Absol may also be a problem if Skuntank is weakened and it runs Jolly max Speed (though most run Adamant, meaning that Samurott outspeeds). Hope I helped and welcome to Smogon! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)