Pokémon Serperior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't entirely understand why the notion of using Serperior as a early game supporter and also a lategame cleaner is considered so nonviable. I almost never regret having leech seed on a set, and I remember playing BW Dream World obsessively a couple years ago. Sub-seed Serperior was a monster, and glare with leech seed seems like an idyllic way to support a slow sweeper's entrance, like offensive Rotom-W, specs Magnezone, or offensive Heatran. Special mention to the latter, as it deals with both straight-on counters to Serperior and to grass type switch-ins that intend to block leech seed.

Didn't this thing get released on the 6th? Have we had any leak out of Japan yet?
No and no. This is the first it's released. And, it's not available officially until Friday there, so I think around 5pm on Thursday US Eastern Time (where I am). That being said, I'm positive there are hacked ones that are around the GTS right now, but it's not officially out.

And good GOD I'm excited. I'm going to use the crap outta this monster. I think that it'll pair well with its fellow serpent, Gyarados, when it runs a full offensive set with HP Fire. Luring in and OHKOing Ferro will help Gyara greatly, and Gyara acts as a great switch in to Heatran, Talonflame (with Intimidate and non-Mega), and Charizards. Pair it with a Fire type for a sick FWG core. I think Heatran and Talon might be neat in particular, but I'm going to be testing the crap out of this cone Thursday/Friday.

Should we start putting forward potential rankings on the viability thread for this thing after, say, a week or so of testing?

Per Serebii:

For those of you with the Japanese Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire games, the latest event has officially begun. This event offers a Serperior with its Hidden Ability of Contrary, which hasn't been obtainable before today. This distribution is obtained via a shared Serial Code which was given away with Pokémon Get☆TV a couple of weeks ago. The code is POKEMON497 and is usable once per game until November 30th 2015. No international release has been announced for this event yet..
The event is now live, which makes contrary snakes legal.

assault vest is contrary to serperior's purpose: an av user generally aims to work as a bulky pivot/tank, serperior lacks the base bulk and having to switch out often really destroys the point of contrary leafstorm, really. i'd rather have the life orb for an extra punch to serp's attacks, plus he can heal off the recoil with boosted giga drains anyway so its not a big deal.

also dat pun

being able to take some more special moves might help
let's say you send serperior on a bulky water. an unexpected ice beam will certainly do far less damage than if you run another item, potentially avoiding a premature death and getting you to heal with giga drain later.
or let's say you find a scarf latios (barring super effective priority, it's the best way to revenge it with an offensive pokemon). wouldn't you like to be sure the Draco Meter won't KO?
LO instead provides a wonderfull boost with a meh penalty thanks to giga drain, both items should be tested to see which one works best, once the snake gets released for good.

being able to take some more special moves might help
let's say you send serperior on a bulky water. an unexpected ice beam will certainly do far less damage than if you run another item, potentially avoiding a premature death and getting you to heal with giga drain later.
or let's say you find a scarf latios (barring super effective priority, it's the best way to revenge it with an offensive pokemon). wouldn't you like to be sure the Draco Meter won't KO?
LO instead provides a wonderfull boost with a meh penalty thanks to giga drain, both items should be tested to see which one works best, once the snake gets released for good.
lmao wtf 4spa ice beam is fucking weak, serperior can tank an ice beam and outrun / threaten to ko back with leaf storm. besides how exactly is it 'unexpected', the only bulky water that really commonly runs ice beam afaik is manaphy. rotom doesnt learn it, slowbro has stabs and is hard pressed to really fit ice beam (the mega set literally never runs ice beam so you're left with regular slowbro, who has options like twave, toxic etc), and literally the only cune you'll see is crocune, which only runs scald.

also why would i be sending in serperior on a scarf latios, there're like a billion and one things that would be coming in on latios before something with mediocre bulk and doesn't resist the move... like, idk, clefable?????

also why would i be sending in serperior on a scarf latios, there're like a billion and one things that would be coming in on latios before something with mediocre bulk and doesn't resist the move... like, idk, clefable?????
He mentioned it as something that can revenge kill non-AV Serperior, not something Serperior counters

He mentioned it as something that can revenge kill non-AV Serperior, not something Serperior counters
i think latios switching in on serperior after it kills something is a very obvious telegraph that it's a choice scarf set considering latios is slower than serp...

i think latios switching in on serperior after it kills something is a very obvious telegraph that it's a choice scarf set considering latios is slower than serp...
I'm already suspicious of Serp vs Serp, as to the meta, HP ice is absolutely demanding imo. I may be speaking too soon, but I've rather wait for Serp to hit the viability rank. For now let's get to testing. There's a snake in the grass!! ⊙▂⊙

Wouldn't dragon pulse and contrary be illegal on Serp since dragon pulse is a B/W 2 move tutor attack, and contrary was unreleased in gen V?

I'm already suspicious of Serp vs Serp, as to the meta, HP ice is absolutely demanding imo. I may be speaking too soon, but I've rather wait for Serp to hit the viability rank. For now let's get to testing. There's a snake in the grass!! ⊙▂⊙
HP Ice is horrible, 90% of the time you'll want HP Fire. HP Ice hits what, Landorus? Why aren't you using Leaf Storm? You have Dragon Pulse for Lati@s and other dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)