Pokémon Serperior

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
:bw/serperior:

Type: Grass
Ability: Overgrow / Contrary
Base Stats: 75 HP / 75 Atk / 95 Def / 75 SpA / 95 SpD / 115 Spe

Notable Moves
  • Leaf Storm
  • Tera Blast
  • Substitute
  • Glare
  • Leech Seed
  • Synthesis
  • Taunt
  • Giga Drain
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Light Screen
  • Reflect
Pros
  • With Terastallization, Serperior unlocks a new and more powerful way to handle Pokemon that have traditionally been hard counters to it like Heatran. It can also break through new Steel-types like Kingambit and Gholdengo, which would otherwise prove problematic for it.
  • Serperior’s great Speed tier allows it to get the jump on Ogerpon-W and other base 110s. With Glare, it can punish faster switch-ins like Dragapult and Zamazenta to outspeed them after paralysis too.
  • The Stellar Tera Blast has the drawback of lowering a Pokémon’s Attack and Special Attack, which benefits Serperior due to Contrary. It can have a one-time neutral hit on any Pokemon, which helps to break through its checks, while becoming more threatening as a result.
  • Sticky Web was a prominent playstyle pre-DLC. If this trend continues, Serperior can help to punish these teams.

Cons
  • Serperior needs Tera to function because it has no coverage otherwise. This can limit teamstyles and your ability to respond to threats in game.
  • Even with Tera, Serperior has to pick what it can beat. Tera Fighting beats Kingambit and Heatran, notably providing a resistance to Sucker Punch from the former, but it cannot break through Volcarona, Iron Moth, and Dragapult. Tera Ground provides this coverage for Fire-types but loses out on the Sucker Punch resistance. It also opens Serperior up to being revenge killed by Rillaboom.
  • Serperior’s Grass typing is underwhelming offensively and defensively; offensively, many metagame staples resist Leaf Storm, and defensively, it offers few resistances. Tera Stellar may offer a small offensive benefit but offers nothing defensively to offset the poor typing.
  • Serperior also struggles to break through key Flying-types like Zapdos and Dragonite. It could use a niche Tera type, but this worsens its overall matchups.
  • Serperior is incredibly weak unboosted with only base 75 Special Attack. This means it needs to be at +2 (and often even +4) to pose a threat to most teams. Fast Pokemon and revenge killers will likely prevent Serperior from boosting as much as it would like to.

Potential Sets

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Ground / Fighting / Stellar
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast
- Substitute / Synthesis
- Glare / Leech Seed

Serperior can boost its Special Attack with Leaf Storm and then attempt to sweep, using Tera Blast as coverage to break through problematic resists. Serperior has to pick what to beat, so its Tera type will be somewhat team dependent. Ground offers coverage to hit Heatran, Kingambit, Gholdengo and Iron Moth. Fighting loses out on the latter two but provides Serperior with a Sucker Punch resistance and a stronger hit against Kingambit. Stellar is an option to gain an extra boost to Special Attack on an unresisted hit, but this seems worse compared to being able to super effectively hit its checks.

Being able to paralyse checks like Kingambit and Iron Moth with Glare teammates handle them if Serperior does not have the right Tera. Leech Seed + Substitute is an annoying combination that chips down Serperior’s checks in a slower way if its Tera typing does not cover them. These status moves are useless against Gholdengo though, so running Tera Fighting means it needs reliable checks as teammates.

Serperior @ Light Clay
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Leaf Storm
- Glare

For hyper offense, Serperior can take advantage of its access to dual screens combined with Glare and a (limited) offensive presence to act as a fast screens setter. However, this set is easily walked by any Pokemon that resists Grass, and apart from Glare, it does not offer more utility than other setters like Alolan Ninetales.

Last edited:
Tera Dragon with Dragon Pulse could actually be viable to depend less on Tera. Enamorus after Rocks is 2HKOd by Leaf Storm anyway and the rest of Fairies of OU (except Ribombee, but by the time Serperior appears it will be dead anyway) are neutral to Grass. Steels will be harder to beat with Tera Dragon, but the upside is that Heatran without some random Tera Blast or Flash Cannon won,t be able to kill you either, provided Serperior has Synthesis (which should be slashed on the main set btw) or Substitute.

Tera Electric is another interesting one. Beats Corviknight, defensively checks Zapdos and totally destroys Tornadus-T (which outside of Glare would be a very good check).

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
Tera Dragon with Dragon Pulse could actually be viable to depend less on Tera. Enamorus after Rocks is 2HKOd by Leaf Storm anyway and the rest of Fairies of OU (except Ribombee, but by the time Serperior appears it will be dead anyway) are neutral to Grass. Steels will be harder to beat with Tera Dragon, but the upside is that Heatran without some random Tera Blast or Flash Cannon won,t be able to kill you either, provided Serperior has Synthesis (which should be slashed on the main set btw) or Substitute.

Tera Electric is another interesting one. Beats Corviknight, defensively checks Zapdos and totally destroys Tornadus-T (which outside of Glare would be a very good check).
That seems really interesting! I totally missed that it still had Synthesis and I agree that’s definitely a good option. I did consider a Dragon Pulse set but being too vulnerable to Steels could be a problem because it loses to two of the best Pokemon.

Electric isn’t something I had thought of actually - that’s a nice neutral hit on Steels as well as Zapdos. I’d be surprised if Torn became viable again but that’s historically been one of its better checks (and if it drops to UU that might be The Set) but we’ll see.

I need more Information about Terra stellar on Serperior

Does it Lose all weaknesses?
Does it have a Tera Blast with no resistances?

Please do not forget that we have more contrary mons available so maybe all of them are viable

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I need more Information about Terra stellar on Serperior

Does it Lose all weaknesses?
Does it have a Tera Blast with no resistances?

Please do not forget that we have more contrary mons available so maybe all of them are viable
It doesn't lose its weaknesses or resistances. However, it does have a Tera Blast that is unresisted, and thanks to Contrary, Stellar Tera Blast's downside of lowering the user's offensive stats by one stage per use instead becomes an upside with Serperior's offensive stats being raised by one stage per use thereby also being a second way to increase Serperior's damage output in addition to its STAB Leaf Storm which is also boosted by Stellar Tera on use.

I would like to note that it has a speed of 113 and not 115, didnt notice it until now, also we should keep this discussion more lively, Serperior is a goated starter! sorry for tag but autumn

I gotta be honest I'm really not feeling Substitute on Serp - if you're gonna run a Sub mon that boosts, Volcarona feels better in this role imo.

:serperior:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Tera Blast
- Knock Off​

This has been an interesting set that I've been toying around with that's been quite nice - the utility of Glare + Knock cannot be understated along with STAB Leaf Storm nailing some pretty common threats. This also means that Pokemon that utilize Intimidate run the risk of giving Serperior a buffed Knock Off. Tera Blast Fairy nukes a large portion of the tier, especially at +2

I gotta be honest I'm really not feeling Substitute on Serp - if you're gonna run a Sub mon that boosts, Volcarona feels better in this role imo.

:serperior:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Tera Blast
- Knock Off​

This has been an interesting set that I've been toying around with that's been quite nice - the utility of Glare + Knock cannot be understated along with STAB Leaf Storm nailing some pretty common threats. This also means that Pokemon that utilize Intimidate run the risk of giving Serperior a buffed Knock Off. Tera Blast Fairy nukes a large portion of the tier, especially at +2
I agree with Substitute not being optimal, but I think Synthesis is actually the best move for last slot. Serperior has enough bulk to use it, especially when it Teras and resistances change.

I have found the terra dragon set to work best with sub seed. It's always going to need something else to take care of hard counters like heatran anyways, and not being forced to terra is always nice, while that extra slot to fire seeds at would be counters coming in is always nice.

EDITED: to read better.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)