Monotype Sesame Street Fighting

Sesame Stryeet.jpg

Alright Lads I'm here with a super hot team I wanted to Post before gen 7 ended, So I got the idea from some guy I saw when I was hanging around in a room (god bless this guy) And I thought I would waste my time and build around his joke that Throh is Ernie and Sawk is..."Burt"
Bruh.png

As for the other pokemon and sets it was a mix of trying to make it viable but sticking to the very important Sesame Street theme that our friend has given us, And while it isnt the best fighting team ever it does have some mu's you wouldnt expect and it can set up games for Big Bird or Ernie/Elmo to get the win. Sorry if this team isnt viable enough for the rmt forums btw.

Let's get into how the team started out being built

:throh: So of course right away I got to work on the first very important Pokemon, Throh acts as the Ernie of the team and also functions as a special wall for the team.

:sawk: Well Now that we have Ernie the next thing our team needed was Bert, Sawk also functions as the one of the 2 offensive physical attackers the team has.

:chesnaught: Chesnaught serves as our oscar the grouch. Oscar lives in a trash can and this thing is literally garbage so It fit perfectly. It also serves as the defensive wall.

:Kommo-o: Kommo-o serves as our Big Bird of the team, also being our only special attacker and also our Stealth Rocker.

:breloom: Breloom serves as the count (he has to count the number of bullet seeds he gets) He also serves as our other setup sweeper and physical attacker on the team.

:pignite: Pignite serves as the Elmo of the team also a magnificent special wall. No this is not a joke.

:throh: :sawk: :chesnaught: :kommo-o: :breloom: :pignite:

Now that we have our 6 Pokemon the team is ready to rumble. Now let's get into the sets

Sesame Street

:sm/throh:
Ernie (Throh) (M) @ Bright Powder
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Toxic/Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Throhs purpose on this team is to throw people in circles and get stealth rock+spikes damage for Loom+Kommo-o to clean. you might think his item is unviable but I was trying to think of what would fit him best and then i found "Bert and Ernie dancing". With moves like those I figured they could dodge a few attacks here and there and it would sometimes possibly be more useful than leftovers. Overall he's a great special wall and I'll post some calcs when we get to that to show how bulky this guy can be. By the way toxic is for things like mega-Sab and even other ghost mons that I cant circle throw. I had knock off but figured toxic beats m-Sab so I'd opt for that, alternatively you can use bulk up as a late game wincon since it already has great special bulk and get's atk+def
Rest for status soak+recovery since despite it's bulk it actually can die ;-;.

^the video of Bert and Ernie dancing for those of you that want to see :)

:sm/sawk:
Bert (Sawk) @ Bright Powder
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Sawks purpose on the team is to do some fat damage to and take care of some threats like Dragonite even through multiscale since it dies to mold breaker Ice Punch,Taunt is so that he isn't walled by things Like mega sableye or pesky roost spamming Pokemon. He may not 1v1 all of them but he can get them low or Put Kommo-o in a position to clean sweep. Overall I think Sawk is one of the more lackluster Pokemon on the team but he has his niche. I got to this set after testing a Knock off taunt toxic rest set and things similar where he would taunt toxic things like Sableye, Mantine, etc. but I think he does better with something like this. As for the item it's of course bright powder due to those sick ass moves you can see him dropping in the video above He got the moves.

:sm/Chesnaught:
Oscar (Chesnaught) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

I thought this thing was going to be garbage for sure when I first put him on the team. but his physical bulk+access to spikes and spiky shield put him on the map for me. I think he's actually not the worst Pokemon to ever touch fighting Monotype. I originally had seed bomb over drain punch but it's so rare that it really gets clicked and drain punch helps keep hp up alongside leech seed since I opted for rocky helmet over leftovers. Overall I think he does his job well and Has put in some work in a few matchups.

:sm/kommo-o:
Big Bird (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

It truthfully kinda hurts me that I have to compress the stealth rocker and the special sweeper together but I simply didn't have another slot to give away to a Stealth rock Pokemon. Overall I think this thing is kinda broken in Monotype and while this coverage is suboptimal and held back by running stealth rocks it can clean a few types and puts in work a lot of the time. Overall Big bird Has been a UNIT on the squad and I'm glad I chose him and not baby Hawlucha, Kommo-oat.

:sm/breloom:
The Count (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
- Spore

It Kind of sucks Not being able to run a rock move on my boy The Count. but I think spore+SD let's you clean with seed+mach punch in matchups especially with the spike stack toxic spam this team can pull off. I think Breloom makes the water mu doable and gives you hope in things like the ground mu, he can also threaten sash spore or just spore in general vs things he's faster than. Overall I love Brelooms ability to do damage and has a decent way to set himself up with spore+SD. great wallbreaker and 10/10 would use again. also He counts all the way to 5 sometimes and that's that damage OML.

:sm/pignite:
Elmo (Pignite) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Gyro Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
- Rest

Oh man now that I've unveiled the secret sauce It's time to Show the ingredients. So this idea originally from a friend of mine who would tell me about how this thing tanks any fire/ice moves without exception. and as I have double grass types and Kommo-o I figured this could be pretty cool to wall those things. Now to be honest I wasn't expecting much out of Little Elmo here but OH MY LORD this thing is an actual TANK. when i say that this has been the wincon in my games before I mean that truthfully. If you run toxic you can toxic things Like char Y after switching into them Or really any fire mon besides Heatran. Willo-wisp helps because his Spdef is so high but his defense isn't as amazing, so burning them let's u get some bulk defensively (kinda?). Rest for status soak+recovery same as Ernie, gyro ball is literally only for Diancie because that thing 6-0s this team if you don't have it Lmao. However it can be used against fairy in general not that you should ever be winning that matchup. Overall I think this Pokemon was the biggest surprise when it came to what I was expecting out of the team this mon SLAPS.

Ernie (Throh) @ Bright Powder
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Toxic/Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

The Count (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
- Spore

Sassy Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Gyro Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
- Rest

:celesteela: The offensive metronome Celesteela set can literally run this team over with chip or a flinch or 2. Sorry there's nothing to be done except go for the brightpowder miss+circle throw with Ernie.

:pidgeot-mega: this is kind've an autoloss Pokemon as everything dies to a hurricane or 2 and it cant miss thanks to BROKEN No guard.

:Latios: this mon pretty much just clicks psychic against the entire team. Any pokemon with a psychic stab that's fast does if we're being honest... but Ernie Lives!

:diancie-mega: If Pignite is chipped, get's crit, or dies somehow this 6-0s you. GG wp thanks for trying.

:victini: :Jirachi: :mew: Any of these psychic mons that are running z celebrate or happy hour or Mewnium Z double dance literally sweep this team with no possible way to stop it outside of a brightpowder miss into circle throw.

:tapu koko: :raichu-alola: These 2 together are a core you cant really survive. With gleams and volt switches on top of 600 speed psychics from raichu it's just kindve over without some luck. Brightpowder Earthquake from Sawk I guess....

:mimikyu: this thing is kinda cancer for fighting and Idk how to beat it without just like toxic+oscars helmet+spiky shield.

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Pignite in Sun: 78-93 (20.3 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Literally EATS fire and ice moves (strongest specs fire mon in sun I could find)

252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 236-282 (53.1 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
it lives.... Haha!

4 Atk Pignite Gyro Ball (84 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Diancie-Mega: 236-280 (97.9 - 116.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

4 Atk Pignite Gyro Ball (77 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 196-232 (81.3 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If it's -def you should kill if not... you can finish it off with brelooms mach punch or ernie can eat one and circle throw. with rocks the gyro can ohko without the -def too.

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Pignite: 126-148 (32.8 - 38.6%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO

4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Pignite: 175-207 (45.6 - 54%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Pignite: 158-188 (41.2 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Normally you'll switch pignite into the moonblast and then if they psychic/earth power/diamond storm you'll live and gyro. if they diamond storm on your switch...
haha! sorry click X.

+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 328-386 (98.2 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
With any chip at all Skarm stands no chance. you can taunt the whirlwind too.

+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 324-384 (92 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

again any chip it dies.

252 Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 336-396 (104 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

OP really..

252 Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 202-238 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It helps Idk.

There's more calcs ofc but these are the important ones to show Imo.

I'm having way too much fun with it not to share with everyone And see if anyone thinks changes could be made.
I know it isn't the most optimal team and It's missing Keldeo Terrak etc, but I wanted to try a fighting with the sesame street theme and this is how I got it to work. If there's any moves or EVs you guys think should change be sure to let me know (the mons have to stay =D)
After trying Pokemon a few times and leaving pretty much right away every time I'm really glad that about a year ago I really got into Pokemon and more specifically Monotype. I've had a blast building and playing Monotype and I'm excited for gen 8 to shake up the meta and give some new stuff to build with even if it's taking some Pokemon away, but I wanted to drop a gen 7 team I've been enjoying before we wrap the gen up.
I just wanted to make a fire 100th post since it'll most likely be my last till gen 8 too =D. Hope you enjoy it =D​

Last edited:
Hi Lucky Piper, fantastic team you have here.

I do have a few improvements I believe could be made to this team.

Major Changes:

BIG BIRD IS NOT YELLOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE MAKE IT SHINY FFS.

Minor changes.

Firstly, Breloom doesn't even resemble the count, like seriously? I believe this is a tragedy of the highest order and that this should be replaced entirely by something that is at least purple. So I have replaced it with a shiny mega heracross, who frankly, with the ability skill link, is a much better counter than Breloom. It can at least get to 5 every time unlike that stupid mushroom. I have gone for a substitute sd set with no stab because I can, it is also adamant to make sure you don't outspeed common threats.

The Count (Heracross-Mega) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

As it stands Chesnaught looks absolutely nothing like oscar the grouch, frankly I can't believe that you have been using this team so long and nobody has called you out on it. I suggest dropping it entirely and replacing it with something that resembles the cookie monster because honestly a team without the cookie monster is not really a team at all. So for this I have chosen specially defensive gallade, because its blue, with substitute and bulk up. It has a Coba berry that isn't quite a cookie but means it will eat any flying move and be able to disable it. And steadfast so if it gets flinched then it gets a speed boost.

Cookie monster (Gallade) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Steadfast
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Disable
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

If however you are unwilling to use this phenominal set, then at least make chesnaught shiny.

Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Bert, Ernie and Elmo are perfect and should be left the way they are.

Ernie (Throh) @ Bright Powder
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Cookie monster (Gallade) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Steadfast
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Disable
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

The Count (Heracross-Mega) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Sassy Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Gyro Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/toxic
- Rest

Thank you for reading this fantastic rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)