Sharpedo (Analysis)

i've been using a fully physical set ever since i saw blightbringer destroy a smogon tour with it and i must say it's a really really really good set. i find it really funny that mixed sharpedo is walled by.......... blissey. yup, blissey. bold blissey takes 44% MAX from crunch (hpump does like 1% less), meaning it can actually switch into sharpedo's strongest attack, heal up and outstall its life orb recoil. in the rain barely anything can switch into fully physical sharpedo. imo it's a lot better at wallbreaking than the mixed set. blissey obviously loses to boosted waterfalls, but even max max skarm is 2hkoed by waterfall in the rain. other common physical walls (think gliscor) don't stand a chance either. i know this already passed qc and i sure as hell don't know where i was but yeah i can tell you this definitely deserves a set!

[SET]
name: Speed Boost (Physical)
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Ice Fang / Earthquake
move 4: Protect
ability: Speed Boost
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

ice fang is cool because it lets you kill dragons, but earthquake can be helpful for the odd jirachi in the sand. LO + adamant nature + max attack is insanely strong, especially if you can keep rain up to boost those waterfalls. i like it a lot better than the mixed set because it's strong, gets the job done, and i hate relying on such a shitty move like hydro pump. good set, let's make it happen! i can write it up if you want... i do love my sharpedo

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm convinced. Go ahead and do your magic Iconic. Post here then.

(Man Sharpedo why are you getting so much attention now?)

OMFG Get it a lifeorb and Adamant in rain to sweep late game(once conkle is gone)
252 Att/ 252 Speed
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
372+ lifeorb + rain + flinch chance trolls everything :P

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think that the mixed Sharpedo set should have 216 Speed with a neutral nature in order to reach 280 with no speed boost (enough to outpace Timid Heatran and neutral base 90s) and 560 after two boosts (enough to outpace Adamant Excadrill). 108 speed can't even outpace Timid Jolteon after 1 boost.

If you are intent on keeping the current spread on the mixed set as the main option, I would mention this in AC:

Rash
76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe

It only gives up a little attacking power for the ability to outpace more threats (which is extremely important since Sharpedo can't take a hit).

Max speed is fine on the physical set.

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello,
I'd like to suggest a set (with some extensions) I'm using in my own team.

Name : Physical Mayhem
Move 1 : Crunch
Move 2 : Waterfall
Move 3 : Aqua Jet/Substitute
Move 4 : Protect/Earthquake
Ability : Speed Boost
Item : Life Orb
Nature : Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
EVs : 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A quick glance at Sharpedo's impressive 120/95 offensive stats is enough to predict something strong. With Dream World adding the wonderful Speed boost, a purely physical set seems to be a staple. This newly added ability allows Sharpedo to be incredibly fast. It shouldn't be using any supporting move besides Protect, because it's extremely frail. Sharpedo is usually a kill-and-run Pokémon ; it can also be used as an overall cleaner to lock the game. It should never be used as a Support Pokémon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<152 Speed EVs and an Adamant nature allow Sharpedo to hit 396 after a speed boost, which is enough to outpace Aerodactyl and Jolteon. Even if those two aren't extremely common in the current OU metagame, Sharpedo has the ability to OHKO both of them. There is no important thing to outspeed with more EVs, and even if it sounds crazy, bulking up Sharpedo a little bit can prove to be effective. With BW, some Pokémon like Gliscor are played with extended bulk and aren't able to OHKO Sharpedo anymore, even with Earthquake ; hence the HP EVs. Full Atk is obvious, as it allows Sharpedo to wreak havoc upon opponent. As this set aims on the physical side, there is no need for SpA EVs, therefore some bulk is possible. It won't allow Sharpedo to withstand an Outrage or another equally strong move, but it's still useful to contain stall attacks for example.
Those 104 EVs allows it to live 2 Seismic Tosses + 2 Life Orb recoil, which is pretty important if Waterfall doesn't flinch.</p>

<p>Crunch and Waterfall are staples here, as they are Sharpedo main STABs. Crunch nets an OHKO on TR Reuniclus for instance, which is pretty nice, given Reuniclus bulkiness. Waterfall also has the ability to flinch, which can happens pretty often because Sharpedo will be outpacing the target 90% of the time thanks to Speed Boost.
Aqua Jet is an interesting option to RK some already-placed 'Mons, for instance RP Terrakion or Excadrill in the sand. Even though it doesn't OHKO Excadrill, it weakens it to ridiculous HP. In the rain it OHKOes it and should be used only if you don't have protect to outspeed it.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Earthquake is an interesting option if you're Jirachi weak. Besides this, it provides a nice type coverture coupled with Crunch and Waterfall. People nowadays tend to predict a Protect from Sharpedo's first turn, so Substitute should be considered as it reduces the prediction issue overwhelming the shark Pokémon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Physical-Sharpedo counters are basically the same for the mixed set and the physical set ; Ferrothorn should be avoided at all costs, as this set has absolutely nothing to kill it. Bulky Waters should also be weakened in order to be killed by Crunch. Although Empoleon isn't a problem if you're playing Earthquake. Priority moves aren't necessarily a true counter to Sharpedo. For instance, CB Adamant Scizor only 2HKOes it ; so does Sharpedo. Obviously Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave should be avoided at all cost because they will tear it down.</p>

<p>With the arrival of the Wifi Clause, you will instantly know if your opponent has a Sharpedo counter ; if he doesn't, his only hope to shut it down will be LO + Sandstorm + any Entry hazards. Therefore with some prediction, Sharpedo has the ability to utterly destroy teams by itself. Playing in the Rain significantly raises the strength of Waterfall / Aqua Jet AND raises its survivability. It should be considered when playing Sharpedo more than when playing some other 'Mon.</p>

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Agammemnon, it's most efficient to spread those 104 HP EVs into its defense stats (I would personally spill them all into physical defense to take priority better), since its HP stat is quite a bit higher than its defenses.

The only difference between your set and the physical set Iconic proposed is Aqua Jet over Ice Fang or Earthquake. I really do think that Aqua Jet should be slashed in with those two moves on the physical set, but creating a whole new set for that one change is unnecessary. The write-up you made is good though; we'll just have to see if AG accepts it or wants to wait for Iconic's take on the analysis.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, we'll wait for Iconic's take (or not). It's best waiting for the other writeup. The above writeup is decent (but other options and counters are unnecessary) and it could use some working around.

And I'll implement suggestions after I get a hold of a good computer, so stay tuned.

EDIT: mention implemented. After Iconic writes up the set, I will shorten the mixed Speed Boost set, so GP checkers, stay tuned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)