Sharpedo [BW2 Revamp] [QC: 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously, Gamefreak made all Sharpedo's sprites look boss

[Overview]

<p>Sharpedo swims to BW2 unchanged, and it's back with an excellent ability in Speed Boost. Even with this viability changing gift, Sharpedo still has to deal with its somewhat low Base Power attacks, reliance on Protect, and how common priority is. This is also compounded with the fact that Sharpedo is the textbook definition of frail meaning that it has KO everything to actually sweep. However, don't let these flaws fool you. Even without access to an boosting items, Sharpedo can get a boost from the Rain due to its excellent typing. Sharpedo's secondary typing also gives it a useful immunity to Psychic-type moves which means it can switch in and threaten Pokemon like Alakazam. Sharpedo also has positive match-ups against most of the metagame such as Starmie, Gliscor, Volcarona, and Gengar meaning it has plenty of times to sweep. If one manages to play Sharpedo correctly and cautiously, it will leave only leave the bones of what this mighty shark ate.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Ice Fang / Earthquake
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Base 120 Attack, a physical set comes to mind. Sharpedo's STAB and auspicious STAB makes it a liability to have a bulky Ground-type as your wall. Waterfall is Sharpedo's main move of SPAM choice, especially in the Rain, due to its excellent typing and handy flinch rate, which lets it get past its what so called "counters". Crunch complements Waterfall and mainly target Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios and Jellicent, respectively. Finally, Zen Headbutt is used because it can defeat its checks on the switch, which are Breloom and Conkeldurr. It also hits Keldeo and Tentacruel really hard (the former resists Sharpedo's STAB). Note that Zen Headbutt's imperfect accuracy makes it unreliable at times.</p>

<p>Ice Fang is an excellent option as well, since it still hits Breloom and makes it easier to get past Salamence and Venasaur. Earthquake can be used too, since it hits Jirachi, Tentacruel, Toxicroak, and Empoleon hard. Protect is probably the most important move on the set, since it allows Sharpedo to scout for moves, and gain a free speed boost, which is vital to prevent it from being revenge killed like it was in the previous generations.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sharpedo fits best on weatherless and Rain teams. On rain teams, Sharpedo's Waetrfall becomes really powerful, essentially making it a pseudo-Swift Swim user with Speed Boost. Good teammates are Pokemon that removes its counters which vary on the coverage move you choose. Something that can remove bulky Water-types is greatly appreciated, and like all Sharpedo sets, Gothitelle unlocks Sharpedo's success by trapping and dispatches of Water-types with its Thunderbolt. When using Zen Headbutt, having Dragonite removed is important as it can take a Crunch with ease. Scizor is also problematic, so Mamoswine and Magnezone are good partners, respectively. The latter also can remove Ferrothorn, which hard walls Sharpedo completely. When running Ice Fang, Keldeo, Empoleon, and other Pokemon that resist its STAB should be removed. Finally, Earthquake wants bulky Grass-types like Virizion and Celebi to be removed, so Heatran fits well in this category.</p>

<p>Sharpedo may run an alternative EV spread of

[Overview]

• Speed Boost is good
  • Faster + LO + P. Strong = Excellent Sweeper (more late-game)
  • Relies on Protect
  • Priority Kill
  • You can call paper Sharpedo, in fact, Sharpedo is jealous that Deoxys-A is frailer than Sharpedo, sooo frail, did I say that too many times?
  • If it can't OHKO then it most likely dies
  • Good Late-game sweeper and can demolish teams unprepared for its wrath, fastest shark alive
  • auspicious typing is boss since it like gives it psycho killer immunity from like kazam and lets it set up on choice specs locked psychock which is a major booost with those crap def
  • relies on rain for power since it has to KO everything to live that tale
  • positive match up against celebi, and keldeo, etc. and water and dark weak mons which are common now
  • nice coverage moves
[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Ice Fang / Earthquake
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • physical attacker = death torpedo
  • waterfall for stab
  • protect obvious reasons
  • crunch stab too, hits stuff like celebi harder
  • zen headbutt i btr on this set cuz it hits harder
  • ice fang has same merits as the mixed set but is weaker and landorus-t turns it to liability
  • earthquake has cool coverage hitting trash like jirachi and toxicroak
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • ice beam cuz it hits lando t harder
  • yea rain support is more important here cuz waterfall has 120 only w/ stab
  • doesnt really max speed but extra defense does like nothin with those crap defenses, and it useful for stuff like dragonite and mamo
  • yea, spikes and sr like i said in mixed set
  • yo yo yo
  • 252 Atk / 108 Def / 148 Spe, but Sharpedo isn't really taking prioity to well, bar Ice Shard, so the extra speed is nice to outpace Mamomswine, Dragonite, Politoed, Hetaran, etc. without being reliant on Protect
[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Ice Beam
nature: Rash
evs: 108 Atk / 252 SpA / 148 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • A Mixed set unlocks Sharpedo's strong special STAB move Hydro Pump as well as a great physical STAB Crunch
  • Ice Beam is obviously for coverage, hitting things like Salamence which can take a hit
  • Zen Headbutt is cool because it hits mons that think they can come ina and wall it like toxicroak, it also hit breloom and conk on switch for great damage
  • Rash is prefered nature
  • protect is important for gaining speed, and being revenge killed, as well as scouting
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • rain support is recommended but not mandatory
  • good teammate are mons that can remove its counters like Ferrothorn (Magnezone and Terrakion come to mind)
  • Rash nature for taking priority better and boosting hpump
  • Life Orb is superior option dont use anything else
  • Sharpedo fits best on weatherless and rain teams
  • blizzard is cool on hail teams (ive used it before, its powerful)
  • spikes support as well as sr unlocks sharpedos killing potential and is important since it needs to like OHKO evrything where hail comes to mind since it adds an extra poof
  • note that on hail, you'll be able to attack max 6-7 times and sand too
  • dark pulse, eh crunch hits its main targets harder like espeon
[Other Options]
  • Choice Specs is cool, but needs protect, same with band
  • dont bother with other items
  • sub is cool but sharp needs all the coverage it can get
  • aqua jet
[Checks and Counters]
  • mach punch, mach punch, mach punch
  • bullet punch, bullet punch, bullet punch, from scizor comes close to an OHKO
  • keldeo
  • toxicroak
  • kyurem-b
  • emploeon
  • dragonite extremespeed
  • FERROTHORN is laughs to sharpedo saying hahah, i bet my mom could wall you fool
  • Blissey and Chansey can take mixed well
  • any status sux for sharp so like priority twave and wow from liepard and sableye is cool of ferrothrn twaves
  • yea its frail
  • it needs to OHKO like everything to win, so if something can live, it'll most likely OHKO back
  • luke and terra get special mentions cuz they switch to crunch get attack boost,a dn destroy sharp with extremedoom and quick attack
  • Multiscale Dragonite

This will sound weird, but would it be worthwhile to put Ice Beam on the Physical Attacker instead of Ice Fang for the Intimidate users? You don't lose any KOs from the limited calculations I did.

I have been thinking that a merged set might do good.

[SET]
name: Mixed
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Hydro Pump / Waterfall
move 3: Ice Beam
nature: Rash
evs: 164 Atk / 252 SpA / 92 Spe

EVs oupace up to Alakazam, Dug, yea

252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe with Naughty when using Waterfall

252+ SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 546-645 (152.51 - 180.16%) -- guaranteed OHKO v. 252 Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 364-432 (101.67 - 120.67%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ice Fang is pretty bad v. Ice Beam because most defensive dragons run physically oriented spreads bar tank nites

AccidentalGreed rejects this.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
the spread you should use on the mixed set is this:

EVs: 104 Atk / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)

it outspeeds any scarfer at +2 and jolteon at +1. max sp atk because you need it and the rest in atk. here i would only use crunch/hpump/ice beam, without slashes.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nah, keep Mixed and Physical separate. They play differently enough so that the attacks hit a different set of targets more reliably, with the Rain helping in either Hydro Pump's or Waterfall's case. Also, I'd agree with raising the Speed EVs by a few, since ideally you'd want to outrun Chlorophyll Venusaur (in the sun) and Scarf Latios in desperate situations (protect twice ew).

i know sharpedo's bulk is beyond abysmal but even on the physical set i don't use max speed because it's more or less useless and the extra bulk let me survive a few resisted hits when i wasn't entirely healthy, namely cb scizor's bullet punch. 32 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Def / 152 Spd is the spread.

i used hp fire on a sharpedo team me and bri made back in bw1, it's a nice scizor lure on the mixed set.

looks fine otherwise

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Zen Headbutt mentioned in the mixed set and not in the physical, which can better take advantage of it? On the physical set, Zen Headbutt has 75% chance to OHKO Keldeo with SR + 1 layer of Spikes, does 62.08 - 73.62% to Tentacruel and 73.37 - 86.57% to Amoonguss, OHKOes any Toxicroak and can OHKO Breloom on the switch. So, please slash it on the second set as well.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea move Zen Headbutt to first slash as in my experience its usually the better option.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why is Physical set not listed first?

Also id STILL prolly slash Zen first over Ice Beam on that set anyway just cos hitting Keldeo / Venusaur / Tentacruel / Croak in all one move is pretty sweet. Ice Beam is really only for Nite and maybe Chomp iirc but I could be wrong cos its late and my head hurts.

The Mixed is less dependant on rain support and can hit more 'mons like Skarmory for example for more damage. Also, how do you switch the title?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The physical set is better than the mixed set. A strong special attack sounds nice in theory, but Hydro Pump's imperfect accuracy makes it harder for Sharpedo to actually sweep and it forces you to split your EVs. This results in the mixed set loses out on a guaranteed OHKO against Defensive Jellicent, Specially Defensive Celebi and a potential OHKO against Keldeo. (who not only happens to be one of the most dominant Pokemon in the game, but is also a great check to Sharpedo) It also loses out on a 2HKO against Tentacruel (the physical set can 2HKO Tentacruel with Zen Headbutt, even after one round of Leftovers + Protect).

Fixed. This is ready for second QC Check and also, can someone tell me how to change the title?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As of now, the titles cannot be changed. I would be wary on pushing this any farther until they get that fixed.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Your overview/set comments should mention that Sharpedo relies on Rain for a significant power boost, and also mention that Sharpedo matches up well against most of the metagame. It has a positive matchup against the likes of Celebi, Lati@s, Keldeo, dark/water weaks in general, etc. This probably goes without saying but... the final version of your analysis will have more of a professional tone, right?

Fixed that, and yea, it'll be more proffesional, i just dont like to waste times on my skeleton, I have a real life off the PC, dont I?

EDIT: I'm doing some fun factors, so I'm giving Bounce a mention. It gets rid of Breloom and Conkeldurr without being prediction reliant as much, but being locked into that move really sux if you predict wrong.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Fixed that, and yea, it'll be more proffesional, i just dont like to waste times on my skeleton, I have a real life off the PC, dont I?

EDIT: I'm doing some fun factors, so I'm giving Bounce a mention. It gets rid of Breloom and Conkeldurr without being prediction reliant as much, but being locked into that move really sux if you predict wrong.
No, that's unacceptable. There is 0 reason to use Bounce over Zen Headbutt.

Okay, I'll remove it. But I want to say there is one reason to use it, the paralysis chance, but thats uselss since Sharpedo has Speed Boost...

Okay, I was on #C&C last night, so:

- Aqua Jet has been added
- Lucario and Terrakion have been added
- Bullet Punch's Description has been added

I was asked to put an alternative spread with 108 Def for the Physical attacker set to soften up Scizor's Bullet Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)