LC Shinx

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
slap a scarf on dat *boom*

[Overview]

Shinx is the only Pokemon in Little Cup with access to Intimidate and a pivoting move, giving it a niche as a physically defensive pivot. Thanks to Intimidate and its Electric typing, it is also an incredibly reliable counter to Fletchling and other Flying-types. Pure Electric typing is a mixed bag for Shinx; it is only weak to one type, but it only resists three. Shinx's poor base stats and sparse movepool leave it unable to do anything outside of its specific niche, and it faces heavy competition from most other Electric-types. Shinx is additionally hindered by its lack of recovery moves, forcing it to use Berry Juice in order to repeatedly fill its niche.

[SET]
name: Intimidate Pivot
move 1: Wild Charge
move 2: Thief
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Toxic / Thunder Wave
ability: Intimidate
item: Berry Juice
evs: 156 HP / 76 Atk / 244 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Relaxed

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wild Charge nets KOs on the Flying-types Shinx counters. Thief allows Shinx to steal a foe's item once its Berry Juice is gone and offers general neutral coverage. Volt Switch is only present for pivoting purposes and is very weak due to negative investment. Toxic cripples bulky switch-ins that don't mind its Electric-type attacks, while Thunder Wave potentially cripples fast switch-ins, though Thunder Wave is generally less useful than Toxic.

Set Details
========

The EVs provided maximize Shinx's HP and Defense in order to take advantage of Intimidate as much as possible. 0 Speed IVs and a negative nature help Shinx function better as a pivot, as it underspeeds a majority of other pivots and thus can switch after the foe. Berry Juice provides Shinx with the recovery it otherwise lacks; Eviolite is somewhat redundant due to Intimidate but also boosts Shinx's Special Defense, though the longevity Berry Juice provides is generally more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Shinx's job is to beat physical attackers, specifically Flying-types such as Fletchling. As such, switch it in on Flying-types as often as possible. However, be careful of Pokemon that may carry super effective coverage moves, such as Earthquake Archen. Additionally, you must play incredibly carefully when facing a team that features Diglett, as a Fletchling U-turn into it will spell instant doom for Shinx. Try to use Intimidate as much as possible while being aware of Pawniard, which will gain a Defiant boost in the event of a predicted switch. Finally, remember to make good use of Thief, as it provides Shinx with an opportunity to steal an item to heal itself or an opportunity to gain additional bulk.

Team Options
========

Shinx is completely ineffective against Ground-, Grass-, and Electric-types such as Drilbur and Chinchou, aside from being able to hit them with Toxic. Bulky Grass-types such as Foongus and Eviolite Snover form strong defensive cores with Shinx by beating those Ground-, Grass-, and Electric-types, and Shinx returns the favor by eliminating the Flying-types that hurt them. Because Shinx can remove Flying-types, it pairs well offensively with bulky Fighting-types such as Timburr; these teammates provide insurance against Pawniard should your opponent make a crafty double switch. Finally, anything that values Intimidate support — specifically, setup sweepers — can benefit from Shinx's utility. For example, Snivy is a bit frail physically, and thus enjoys Shinx's support; it also forms a Shinx / Grass-type core like the ones mentioned above.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

If you dislike recoil, you could run Spark over Wild Charge; however, Shinx is incredibly weak and Spark misses out on many important KOs. Thief can also be replaced by Ice or Fire Fang for better attacking coverage. Specifically, Ice Fang helps Shinx not be totally demolished by Diglett, and Fire Fang does good damage against Ferroseed and Snover; however, the damage is so pitiful in other cases that Volt Switching out would almost always be a better option. Replacing Thief would also remove much of Shinx's staying power and utility. If you'd like to mix up the set, Shinx has access to Guts and can thus perform decently as a status absorber, but this set is generally outclassed by Timburr. Finally, Shinx can hit 17 Attack and 14 Speed and has access to a pivoting move; as such, it can somewhat viably run a Choice Scarf set. However, its attacks have low Base Power and shallow coverage, leaving it generally outclassed.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Diglett**: Unlike against most Pokemon, Diglett can easily switch into Shinx; due to Arena Trap, Shinx will be unable to switch out and will be KOed.
**Pokemon Immune to Electric**: Electric immune Pokemon are unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and Wild Charge, making them excellent Shinx counters. Additionally, Ground-types such as Drilbur can OHKO Shinx even through Intimidate.
**Special Attackers**: Special attackers don't mind Intimidate and can thus exploit Shinx's poor Special Defense; this issue is augmented when using Berry Juice Shinx. Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to its Electric resistance and immunity to Toxic.
**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into, and anything with recovery easily deals with it, especially Timburr, which benefits from Thunder Wave and Toxic due to Guts and sets up on Shinx. Shinx also struggles with Porygon and other particularly bulky Pokemon, which don't really mind anything Shinx throws at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview:
"Poor base stats require heavy investment to function"
What does this mean exactly? It's not like Shinx is investing more EVs than other Pokemon. Just change to say it has poor base stats
Mention how this can do very little to electric immunities

Intimidate Pivot:
I think you should change the spread to 156 HP / 76 Atk / 244 Def / 4 SpD with a Relaxed Nature. I would even make the Speed IVs 0 to underspeed things like Pancham. Shinx does very, very little damage and its main goal should be to go last and Volt Switch out to get a free switch into something else. Being at a lower speed enables it to Volt Switch out of things such as Porygon, Timburr, and Pumpkaboo and let something else come in for free.

(Calc'd these before the spread change too, same sort of thing)
76 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 18-24 (78.2 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

76 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Archen: 26-32 (113 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Archen: 18-24 (78.2 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifloon: 26-32 (104 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifloon: 18-24 (72 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

76 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Corphish: 20-26 (100 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Corphish: 14-20 (70 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

This trend of being able to kill things that are weak to electric with Wild Charge and not with Spark continues with many mons.

Shinx is really weak and having Wild Charge's power is important to ensure many kills. Remove Spark's slash and description.

Set Details:
Explain why we're making Shinx so slow. Speed creeping would actually be bad for it.

Usage Tips:
How does Shinx being obscure make it a better Fletch check?
Change the second part of the second point to be more general. Something like 'Be careful checking Flying-types that may have a coverage move or alternate STAB to hit Shinx' if you wanted to include an example, EQ Archen is the most prominent example.
Mention using Thief to reclaim an item here

Team Options:
The second point kinda implies that the Shinx user missplayed and switched it into a Pawniard. Pawniard could get a boost from double switching into it so I guess just reword that a little bit

Other Options:
Remove BP thing lol
Put Spark here
Fire Fang to hit Grass-types but its p bad coverage

Checks and Counters: Include examples for all of these things
Format it like this:
**Check/Counter**: How they check/counter Shinx

I'd just clump Ground-types and electric immunities together. Shinx can't do anything to both of them.
I don't think Pawniard needs to be here. It only gets an Intimidate boost if it doubles switches into Shinx and only if the mon on Pawniard's team was faster the opponent's pokemon before the double switch.
Add a broad term like 'Bulky Attackers' because Shinx is so easily switched into and anything with recovery easily deals with it. Give Timburr a specific mention because it benefits from TWave and can set up on Shinx easily.

Let me know when you've implement this stuff and I'll give you QC 1/4 :]

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
"Poor base stats require heavy investment to function"
What does this mean exactly? It's not like Shinx is investing more EVs than other Pokemon. Just change to say it has poor base stats
Mention how this can do very little to electric immunities

Intimidate Pivot:
I think you should change the spread to 156 HP / 76 Atk / 244 Def / 4 SpD with a Relaxed Nature. I would even make the Speed IVs 0 to underspeed things like Pancham. Shinx does very, very little damage and its main goal should be to go last and Volt Switch out to get a free switch into something else. Being at a lower speed enables it to Volt Switch out of things such as Porygon, Timburr, and Pumpkaboo and let something else come in for free.

(Calc'd these before the spread change too, same sort of thing)
76 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 18-24 (78.2 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

76 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Archen: 26-32 (113 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Archen: 18-24 (78.2 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifloon: 26-32 (104 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifloon: 18-24 (72 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

76 Atk Shinx Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Corphish: 20-26 (100 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Shinx Spark vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Corphish: 14-20 (70 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

This trend of being able to kill things that are weak to electric with Wild Charge and not with Spark continues with many mons.

Shinx is really weak and having Wild Charge's power is important to ensure many kills. Remove Spark's slash and description.

Set Details:
Explain why we're making Shinx so slow. Speed creeping would actually be bad for it.

Usage Tips:
How does Shinx being obscure make it a better Fletch check?
Change the second part of the second point to be more general. Something like 'Be careful checking Flying-types that may have a coverage move or alternate STAB to hit Shinx' if you wanted to include an example, EQ Archen is the most prominent example.
Mention using Thief to reclaim an item here

Team Options:
The second point kinda implies that the Shinx user missplayed and switched it into a Pawniard. Pawniard could get a boost from double switching into it so I guess just reword that a little bit

Other Options:
Remove BP thing lol
Put Spark here
Fire Fang to hit Grass-types but its p bad coverage

Checks and Counters: Include examples for all of these things
Format it like this:
**Check/Counter**: How they check/counter Shinx

I'd just clump Ground-types and electric immunities together. Shinx can't do anything to both of them.
I don't think Pawniard needs to be here. It only gets an Intimidate boost if it doubles switches into Shinx and only if the mon on Pawniard's team was faster the opponent's pokemon before the double switch.
Add a broad term like 'Bulky Attackers' because Shinx is so easily switched into and anything with recovery easily deals with it. Give Timburr a specific mention because it benefits from TWave and can set up on Shinx easily.

Let me know when you've implement this stuff and I'll give you QC 1/4 :]
This is now implemented, except for Fire Fang because Ice Fang is much better coverage, still hits Grass and is already listed

Ready for check two!

This is now implemented, except for Fire Fang because Ice Fang is much better coverage, still hits Grass and is already listed

Ready for check two!
Fire Fang hits stuff like Ferro, Snover, and Magnemite. Worth a mention in OO.
Add in 0 Speed IVs
Delete bullet points in C&C and you still need examples for each.

QC 1/4.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't have a lot to add here, I guess he checks Fletch, but I personally don't think he is all that. Thief doesn't really "cripple" opponents, rather, it hinders their defensive capabilities by removing an important item.

Well done, QC 2/4

Overview
Emphasize that other Electric-types, namely Chinchou, Magnemite, even Elekid give Shinx huge competition for a teamslot; Shinx's only real advantage over them is Intimidate.

Moves
I'm not really convinced that Thunder Wave is the best option in the fourth slot. I'm gonna suggest that Toxic be slashed before it, and here's why: Shinx's most common switch-ins are things immune to Electric-type moves (namely Chinchou, pretty much any Ground-type, Drilbur, Hippo...), not to mention bulky stuff in general like Porygon. Hippo and Pory particularly despise Toxic, as well as Chinchou without Heal Bell or Rest, so Toxic at least gives Shinx a way to not be completely useless when they switch in (Thief is heavily reliant on Berry Juice being consumed). The things immune to Toxic that would switch into Shinx, namely Foongus and Ferroseed, aren't really hampered by T-Wave all that much and you're better off Volt Switching out of them.

Usage Tips
CTRL+F Diglett, 0 results

One of Shinx's big selling points is beating Fletchling, but Shinx is incredibly weak to the FletchDig duo, as any variant of Diglett clean OHKOes Shinx.

236 Atk Diglett Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 244 Def Shinx: 26-32 (113 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It's worth stating that you really need to play conservatively with Shinx if you see a Fletchling+Diglett duo in team preview, as being U-turned on with Diglett still alive pretty much spells doom for Shinx.

Team Options
- Rephrase the first sentence about Chinchou/Ground-types etc since we're adding Toxic (the rest can stay the same, Shinx still hates going up against these mons 1v1)
- Perhaps give a few examples of setup sweepers that enjoy Intimidate support when setting up (stuff that's a bit frail on the physical side)

Other Options
- Ayyy Spark, I'm spark! :D
- Expand on Ice Fang/Fire Fang. Ice Fang particularly helps Shinx not get completely roflstomped by Diglett (even though it must be used on the switch), as right now Diglett can just switch into the main set with zero problems and EQ. Fire Fang is pretty much for Ferroseed (though it's only a 2HKO). Both Fangs are somewhat helpful versus most Grass-types in general, but the damage output is so pathetic in most cases that Shinx is better off just Volt Switching out to a teammate.

Checks & Counters
- Diglett needs a mention in the Ground-types section. Shinx absolutely despises Diglett, probably more than anything else listed, as Diglett has Arena Trap+EQ and can switch into Shinx with no worries barring the rare Ice Fang.
- Add a mention that bulkier Ground-types/Electric-immune mons such as Hippo/Chinchou etc are hampered by Toxic on the switch-in, but generally don't have a problem with anything else Shinx does.
- "**Special Attackers**: Unaffected by Intimidate." Well, they are still affected by Intimidate, it just doesn't bother them at all, rephrase it perhaps.
- "esp. Timburr, who benefits from TWave" -- add "thanks to Guts."
- Add Porygon to Bulky Attackers; it doesn't enjoy being statused, but it pretty much walls the hell out of Shinx and recovers off the damage.

My bad for making this a bit long, you did a good job with this though. I'll take a quick look after these are implemented before I give final QC.

edit: QC 4/4

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
get chekt

as i said, i didn't touch the checks and counters, though i'd be happy to once it's rewritten somewhat.

some unnecessary words cut, though you can keep them if you want

When writing, say, Ground type, you need a dash, as in, Ground-type-i did this in the amcheck, but it's difficult to see. Also, note that if you do something like Ground, Dark, and Fighting types, you need to write Ground-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Any time you're talking about X type and you write the word type, you need a dash, basically.

Comments:

in the moves; i'd just say that walls like Chinchou and Hippowdon don't mind shinx's attacks, as they also don't mind Thief. Minor thing though (and maybe they do mind it more than i'd think?)

obviously Shinx doesn't literally switch after the opponent; but it does Volt Switch after them. I get you're kinda saying that already, but it's not really clear and it could obviously be way clearer.

Overview
########
Shinx is the only Pokemon in Little Cup with access to Intimidate and a pivoting move, giving it a niche as a physically defensive pivot. Thanks to Intimidate and its Electric typing, it is also incredibly good at beating Fletchling and other Flying types, which it can reliably counter. Pure Electric typing is a mixed bag for Shinx; it is only weak to one type, but only resists three. Despite these positive points,(rc) Shinx's poor base stats and sparse movepool leave it unable to do anything outside of its specific niche.,(period to comma) Because of this,(rc) and it faces heavy competition from most other Electric-types. Shinx is additionally hindered by its lack of recovery, forcing it to use Berry Juice in order to repeatedly fill its niche.

Intimidate Pivot (a.k.a. lil'Lando)
########

Moves
========

Wild Charge is Shinx's strongest STAB; it nets KOs on the Flying types Shinx counters. Thief allows Shinx to steal a foe's item once its Berry Juice is gone and offers general neutral coverage. Volt Switch is only present for pivoting purposes and is very weak due to negative investment. Toxic allows Shinx to cripple bulky switch-ins like Hippopotas and Chinchou who don't mind its Electric attacks;,(semicolon to comma) alternatively,(rc) you can use while Thunder Wave to potentially cripple potentially cripples fast switchins, but it though Thunder Wave is generally less useful than Toxic.

Set Details
========

The EVs provided maximize Shinx's HP and Defense in order to abuse Intimidate as much as possible. A 0 Speed IVs and a negative nature help Shinx function better as a pivot, as it underspeeds a majority of other pivots and thus can Volt Switch switch after the opponent. (A Relaxed nature is used to maximize Defense and minimize the Speed in keeping with Shinx's set)(does this really provide the reader with any new information? you could say 'the EV spread and nature' up there, and you already said the nature lowers Speed.). Finally,(rc) Berry Juice provides Shinx with the recovery it lacks; Eviolite would be is somewhat redundant due to Intimidate but boosts Shinx's Special Defense as well. As such , though the longevity Berry Juice provides is generally more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Shinx's job is to beat physical attackers, specifically Flying types such as Fletchling. As such, switch it in on Flying types as often as possible. However, be careful of Pokemon which may carry super-effective coverage moves, such as Earthquake Archen. Additionally, you must play incredibly carefully when facing a team which features Diglett, as a Fletchling U-turn into it will spell instant doom for Shinx. Try to abuse Intimidate as much as possible while being aware of Pawniard, who would gain a Defiant boost in the event of a predicted switch. Finally, remember to make good use of Thief, as it provides Shinx with another opportunity to heal itself or an opportunity to gain additional bulk.

Team Options
========

Shinx is completely ineffective against Ground-, Grass-, and Electric -types such as Drilbur and Chinchou, aside from hitting them with Toxic. As such, bulky Grass -types such as Foongus and Eviolite Snover form strong defensive cores with Shinx by beating those Ground-, Grass-, and Electric -types. Shinx returns the favor by eliminating the Flying -types that hurt those Grass -type teammates. Because Shinx can remove Flying -types, it pairs well offensively with bulky Fighting -types such as Timburr; these teammates provide insurance against Pawniard should your opponent make a crafty double switch. Finally, anything that values Intimidate support - specifically, setup sweepers - can benefit from Shinx's utility. For example, Snivy is a bit frail on the physical side, and thus enjoy'(remove apostrophe)s Shinx's support; it also forms a Shinx / Grass core like the ones mentioned above.

Other Options
########

If you dislike recoil, you could run Spark over Wild Charge; however, Shinx is incredibly weak and Spark misses out on many important KOs. Thief can also be replaced by one of Ice or Fire Fang for better attacking coverage. Specifically, Ice Fang helps Shinx not be totally demolished by Diglett, and Fire Fang does good damage against Ferroseed and Snover; however, the damage is so pitiful in other cases that Volt Switching out would almost always be a better option. Replacing Thief would also remove much of Shinx's staying power and utility. If you'd like to mix up the set, Shinx has access to Guts and can thus perform decently as a status absorber;,(semicolon to comma) but this set is generally outclassed by Timburr. Finally, Shinx can hit 17 Attack and 14 Speed and has access to a pivoting move; as such, it can somewhat viably run a Choice Scarf set. However, its attacks have low base power and shallow coverage, leaving it generally outclassed.

Checks & Counters
########
**Diglett**: Unlike against most other mons, Diglett can actually switch into Shinx. Due to Arena Trap, this will spell immediate doom for Shinx, who is rendered unable to switch out and is promptly KOd.
**Ground Types/Electric Immunties**: Unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and STAB. With Grounds, you can't safely switch Shinx in to make use of Intimidate for fear of super effective STAB. For example, Drilbur cannot be stopped by Shinx because it is OHKOd by even a -1 Earthquake.
**Special Attackers**: Don't mind Intimidate. Dangerous because Shinx's Special Defense is pretty low, especially with Berry Juice. Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to common HP Ground coverage and an Electric resist.
**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into and anything with recovery easily deals with it, esp. Timburr, who benefits from Thunder Wave/Toxic due to Guts, and Porygon, who doesn't really mind anything Shinx throws at it.

Edit: here by popular demand, it's Tehy's checks and counters change. note that this is basically just me rewriting your checks and counters how i'd do it, so take this as a template at best. Or don't, i guess

Checks & Counters
########

**Diglett**: Unlike against most Pokemon other mons, Diglett can easily actually switch into Shinx.;(period to semicolon) Due due to Arena Trap, this will spell immediate doom for Shinx,(rc) who is rendered unable to cannot switch out,(ac) and it is promptly KOd KOed.

Explanation: does it matter much that it can't switch into other Pokemon easily? whatever, i just cleaned it up and cut some fluff; if it matters so much to mention its relative weakness to Diglett (something which i wouldn't mention but w/e) then my version is just streamlining and fairly unnecessary.

**Ground Types/Electric Immunities**: Unaffected Electric-immune Pokemon are unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and STAB. With Grounds, you can't safely switch Shinx in to make use of Intimidate for fear of super effective STAB. For example, Drilbur cannot be stopped by Shinx because it is OHKOd by even a -1 Earthquake and Wild Charge,(ac) making them excellent Shinx counters. Additionally,(ac) Ground-types such as Drilbur can often OHKO Shinx even through Intimidate.

Explanation: Firstly, STAB instead of Wild Charge seems to be solely for the purpose of including Spark. But, is that REALLY worth it? it's in OO and seems crappy even for that. outside of that, streamlined.

**Special Attackers**: Don't Special attackers don't mind Intimidate.,(period to comma) Dangerous because and exploit Shinx's low Special Defense is pretty low, especially with Berry Juice Shinx. Hidden Power Ground Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to common HP Ground coverage and an Electric resist its Electric resistance and immunity to both Toxic and Thunder Wave.

Explanation: strung it all together. Plus, magnemite, and a neat trick of naming mons with their items to make it easier to write

**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into,(ac) and anything with recovery easily deals with it, esp. especially Timburr, who benefits from Thunder Wave/ and Toxic due to Guts and sets up on Timburr, and Porygon, who doesn't really mind anything Shinx throws at it outside of Toxic.

Explanation: more info basically, this part was fine mostly

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
get chekt

as i said, i didn't touch the checks and counters, though i'd be happy to once it's rewritten somewhat.

some unnecessary words cut, though you can keep them if you want

When writing, say, Ground type, you need a dash, as in, Ground-type-i did this in the amcheck, but it's difficult to see. Also, note that if you do something like Ground, Dark, and Fighting types, you need to write Ground-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Any time you're talking about X type and you write the word type, you need a dash, basically.

Comments:

in the moves; i'd just say that walls like Chinchou and Hippowdon don't mind shinx's attacks, as they also don't mind Thief. Minor thing though (and maybe they do mind it more than i'd think?)

obviously Shinx doesn't literally switch after the opponent; but it does Volt Switch after them. I get you're kinda saying that already, but it's not really clear and it could obviously be way clearer.

Overview
########
Shinx is the only Pokemon in Little Cup with access to Intimidate and a pivoting move, giving it a niche as a physically defensive pivot. Thanks to Intimidate and its Electric typing, it is also incredibly good at beating Fletchling and other Flying types, which it can reliably counter. Pure Electric typing is a mixed bag for Shinx; it is only weak to one type, but only resists three. Despite these positive points,(rc) Shinx's poor base stats and sparse movepool leave it unable to do anything outside of its specific niche.,(period to comma) Because of this,(rc) and it faces heavy competition from most other Electric-types. Shinx is additionally hindered by its lack of recovery, forcing it to use Berry Juice in order to repeatedly fill its niche.

########

Moves
========

Wild Charge is Shinx's strongest STAB; it nets KOs on the Flying types Shinx counters. Thief allows Shinx to steal a foe's item once its Berry Juice is gone and offers general neutral coverage. Volt Switch is only present for pivoting purposes and is very weak due to negative investment. Toxic allows Shinx to cripple bulky switch-ins like Hippopotas and Chinchou who don't mind its Electric attacks;,(semicolon to comma) alternatively,(rc) you can use while Thunder Wave to potentially cripple potentially cripples fast switchins, but it though Thunder Wave is generally less useful than Toxic.

Set Details
========

The EVs provided maximize Shinx's HP and Defense in order to abuse Intimidate as much as possible. A 0 Speed IVs and a negative nature help Shinx function better as a pivot, as it underspeeds a majority of other pivots and thus can Volt Switch switch after the opponent. (A Relaxed nature is used to maximize Defense and minimize the Speed in keeping with Shinx's set)(does this really provide the reader with any new information? you could say 'the EV spread and nature' up there, and you already said the nature lowers Speed.). Finally,(rc) Berry Juice provides Shinx with the recovery it lacks; Eviolite would be is somewhat redundant due to Intimidate but boosts Shinx's Special Defense as well. As such , though the longevity Berry Juice provides is generally more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Shinx's job is to beat physical attackers, specifically Flying types such as Fletchling. As such, switch it in on Flying types as often as possible. However, be careful of Pokemon which may carry super-effective coverage moves, such as Earthquake Archen. Additionally, you must play incredibly carefully when facing a team which features Diglett, as a Fletchling U-turn into it will spell instant doom for Shinx. Try to abuse Intimidate as much as possible while being aware of Pawniard, who would gain a Defiant boost in the event of a predicted switch. Finally, remember to make good use of Thief, as it provides Shinx with another opportunity to heal itself or an opportunity to gain additional bulk.

Team Options
========

Shinx is completely ineffective against Ground-, Grass-, and Electric -types such as Drilbur and Chinchou, aside from hitting them with Toxic. As such, bulky Grass -types such as Foongus and Eviolite Snover form strong defensive cores with Shinx by beating those Ground-, Grass-, and Electric -types. Shinx returns the favor by eliminating the Flying -types that hurt those Grass -type teammates. Because Shinx can remove Flying -types, it pairs well offensively with bulky Fighting -types such as Timburr; these teammates provide insurance against Pawniard should your opponent make a crafty double switch. Finally, anything that values Intimidate support - specifically, setup sweepers - can benefit from Shinx's utility. For example, Snivy is a bit frail on the physical side, and thus enjoy'(remove apostrophe)s Shinx's support; it also forms a Shinx / Grass core like the ones mentioned above.

Other Options
########

If you dislike recoil, you could run Spark over Wild Charge; however, Shinx is incredibly weak and Spark misses out on many important KOs. Thief can also be replaced by one of Ice or Fire Fang for better attacking coverage. Specifically, Ice Fang helps Shinx not be totally demolished by Diglett, and Fire Fang does good damage against Ferroseed and Snover; however, the damage is so pitiful in other cases that Volt Switching out would almost always be a better option. Replacing Thief would also remove much of Shinx's staying power and utility. If you'd like to mix up the set, Shinx has access to Guts and can thus perform decently as a status absorber;,(semicolon to comma) but this set is generally outclassed by Timburr. Finally, Shinx can hit 17 Attack and 14 Speed and has access to a pivoting move; as such, it can somewhat viably run a Choice Scarf set. However, its attacks have low base power and shallow coverage, leaving it generally outclassed.

Checks & Counters
########
**Diglett**: Unlike against most other mons, Diglett can actually switch into Shinx. Due to Arena Trap, this will spell immediate doom for Shinx, who is rendered unable to switch out and is promptly KOd.
**Ground Types/Electric Immunties**: Unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and STAB. With Grounds, you can't safely switch Shinx in to make use of Intimidate for fear of super effective STAB. For example, Drilbur cannot be stopped by Shinx because it is OHKOd by even a -1 Earthquake.
**Special Attackers**: Don't mind Intimidate. Dangerous because Shinx's Special Defense is pretty low, especially with Berry Juice. Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to common HP Ground coverage and an Electric resist.
**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into and anything with recovery easily deals with it, esp. Timburr, who benefits from Thunder Wave/Toxic due to Guts, and Porygon, who doesn't really mind anything Shinx throws at it.

Edit: here by popular demand, it's Tehy's checks and counters change. note that this is basically just me rewriting your checks and counters how i'd do it, so take this as a template at best. Or don't, i guess

Checks & Counters
########

**Diglett**: Unlike against most Pokemon other mons, Diglett can easily actually switch into Shinx.;(period to semicolon) Due due to Arena Trap, this will spell immediate doom for Shinx,(rc) who is rendered unable to cannot switch out,(ac) and it is promptly KOd KOed.

Explanation: does it matter much that it can't switch into other Pokemon easily? whatever, i just cleaned it up and cut some fluff; if it matters so much to mention its relative weakness to Diglett (something which i wouldn't mention but w/e) then my version is just streamlining and fairly unnecessary.

**Ground Types/Electric Immunities**: Unaffected Electric-immune Pokemon are unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and STAB. With Grounds, you can't safely switch Shinx in to make use of Intimidate for fear of super effective STAB. For example, Drilbur cannot be stopped by Shinx because it is OHKOd by even a -1 Earthquake and Wild Charge,(ac) making them excellent Shinx counters. Additionally,(ac) Ground-types such as Drilbur can often OHKO Shinx even through Intimidate.

Explanation: Firstly, STAB instead of Wild Charge seems to be solely for the purpose of including Spark. But, is that REALLY worth it? it's in OO and seems crappy even for that. outside of that, streamlined.

**Special Attackers**: Don't Special attackers don't mind Intimidate.,(period to comma) Dangerous because and exploit Shinx's low Special Defense is pretty low, especially with Berry Juice Shinx. Hidden Power Ground Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to common HP Ground coverage and an Electric resist its Electric resistance and immunity to both Toxic and Thunder Wave.

Explanation: strung it all together. Plus, magnemite, and a neat trick of naming mons with their items to make it easier to write

**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into,(ac) and anything with recovery easily deals with it, esp. especially Timburr, who benefits from Thunder Wave/ and Toxic due to Guts and sets up on Timburr, and Porygon, who doesn't really mind anything Shinx throws at it outside of Toxic.

Explanation: more info basically, this part was fine mostly
Sorry about the Checks and Counters, that was sloppy of me o_O but everything is implemented now!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
a quick GP 1/2
add remove comment

Overview
########

Shinx is the only Pokemon in Little Cup with access to Intimidate and a pivoting move, giving it a niche as a physically defensive pivot. Thanks to Intimidate and its Electric typing, it is also incredibly good at beating Fletchling and other Flying(dash)types, which it can reliably counter. Pure Electric typing is a mixed bag for Shinx; it is only weak to one type, but it only resists three. Shinx's poor base stats and sparse movepool leave it unable to do anything outside of its specific niche, and it faces heavy competition from most other Electric-types. Shinx is additionally hindered by its lack of recovery, forcing it to use Berry Juice in order to repeatedly fill its niche.

########
move 4: Toxic / Thunder Wave (spaces)

Moves
========

Wild Charge is nets KOs on the Flying(dash)types Shinx counters. Thief allows Shinx to steal a foe's item once its Berry Juice is gone and offers general neutral coverage. Volt Switch is only present for pivoting purposes and is very weak due to negative investment. Toxic allows Shinx to cripple bulky switchins like switch-ins that don't mind its Electric-type attacks, such as Hippopotas and Chinchou who don't mind its Electric attacks, while Thunder Wave potentially cripples fast switch(dash)ins, though Thunder Wave is generally less useful than Toxic.

Set Details
========

The EVs provided maximize Shinx's HP and Defense in order to abuse take as much advantage of Intimidate as much as possible. A 0 Speed IV and a negative Speed nature help Shinx function better as a pivot, as it underspeeds a majority of other pivots and thus can switch after the foe opponent. Berry Juice provides Shinx with recovery it lacks; Eviolite is somewhat redundant due to Intimidate but also boosts Shinx's Special Defense, though the longevity Berry Juice provides is generally more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Shinx's job is to beat physical attackers, specifically Flying(dash)types such as Fletchling. As such, switch it in on Flying(dash)types as often as possible. However, be careful of Pokemon which that may carry super(remove dash)effective coverage moves, such as Earthquake Archen. Additionally, you must play incredibly carefully when facing a team which features Diglett, as a Fletchling U-turn into it will spell instant doom for Shinx. Try to abuse Intimidate as much as possible while being aware of Pawniard, who would which will gain a Defiant boost in the event of a predicted switch. Finally, remember to make good use of Thief, as it provides Shinx with another opportunity to heal itself or an opportunity to gain additional bulk.

Team Options
========

Shinx is completely ineffective against Ground(dash), Grass(dash), and Electric(dash)types such as Drilbur and Chinchou, aside from hitting them with Toxic. As such, bulky Grass(dash)types such as Foongus and Eviolite Snover form strong defensive cores with Shinx by beating those Ground(dash), Grass(dash), and Electric(dash)types., and Shinx returns the favor by eliminating the Flying(dash)types that hurt them those Grass type teammates. Because Shinx can remove Flying(dash)types, it pairs well offensively with bulky Fighting(dash)types such as Timburr; these teammates provide insurance against Pawniard should your opponent make a crafty double switch. Finally, anything that values Intimidate support—specifically, setup sweepers—can benefit from Shinx's utility. For example, Snivy is a bit frail physically on the physical side, and thus enjoys Shinx's support; it also forms a Shinx / Grass-type core like the ones mentioned above.

Other Options
########

If you dislike recoil, you could run Spark over Wild Charge; however, Shinx is incredibly weak and Spark misses out on many important KOs. Thief can also be replaced by one of Ice Fang or Fire Fang for better attacking coverage. Specifically, Ice Fang helps Shinx not be totally demolished by Diglett, and Fire Fang does good damage against Ferroseed and Snover; however, the damage is so pitiful in other cases that Volt Switching out would almost always be a better option. Replacing Thief would also remove much of Shinx's staying power and utility. If you'd like to mix up the set, Shinx has access to Guts and can thus perform decently as a status absorber, but this set is generally outclassed by Timburr. Finally, Shinx can hit 17 Attack and 14 Speed and has access to a pivoting move; as such, it can somewhat viably run a Choice Scarf set. However, its attacks have low Base Power and shallow coverage, leaving it generally outclassed.

Checks & Counters (fix line breaks)
########

**Diglett**: Unlike against most Pokemon, Diglett can easily switch into Shinx; due to Arena Trap, Shinx will be unable to switch out and will be KOed.

**Ground Types/Electric ImmunitiesPokemon Immune to Electric**: Electric(dash)immune Pokemon are unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and Wild Charge, making them excellent Shinx counters. Additionally, Ground-types such as Drilbur can OHKO Shinx even through Intimidate.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers don't mind Intimidate, (remove comma) and can thus exploit Shinx's poor Special Defense; this issue is augmented when using Berry Juice Shinx. Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to its Electric resistance and immunity to Toxic.

**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into, and anything with recovery easily deals with it, especially Timburr, who which benefits from Thunder Wave and Toxic due to Guts and sets up on it. Shinx also struggles with Porygon and other particularly bulky Pokemon, who which don't really mind anything Shinx throws at them.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
a quick GP 1/2
add remove comment

Overview
########

Shinx is the only Pokemon in Little Cup with access to Intimidate and a pivoting move, giving it a niche as a physically defensive pivot. Thanks to Intimidate and its Electric typing, it is also incredibly good at beating Fletchling and other Flying(dash)types, which it can reliably counter. Pure Electric typing is a mixed bag for Shinx; it is only weak to one type, but it only resists three. Shinx's poor base stats and sparse movepool leave it unable to do anything outside of its specific niche, and it faces heavy competition from most other Electric-types. Shinx is additionally hindered by its lack of recovery, forcing it to use Berry Juice in order to repeatedly fill its niche.

########
move 4: Toxic / Thunder Wave (spaces)

Moves
========

Wild Charge is nets KOs on the Flying(dash)types Shinx counters. Thief allows Shinx to steal a foe's item once its Berry Juice is gone and offers general neutral coverage. Volt Switch is only present for pivoting purposes and is very weak due to negative investment. Toxic allows Shinx to cripple bulky switchins like switch-ins that don't mind its Electric-type attacks, such as Hippopotas and Chinchou who don't mind its Electric attacks, while Thunder Wave potentially cripples fast switch(dash)ins, though Thunder Wave is generally less useful than Toxic.

Set Details
========

The EVs provided maximize Shinx's HP and Defense in order to abuse take as much advantage of Intimidate as much as possible. A 0 Speed IV and a negative Speed nature help Shinx function better as a pivot, as it underspeeds a majority of other pivots and thus can switch after the foe opponent. Berry Juice provides Shinx with recovery it lacks; Eviolite is somewhat redundant due to Intimidate but also boosts Shinx's Special Defense, though the longevity Berry Juice provides is generally more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Shinx's job is to beat physical attackers, specifically Flying(dash)types such as Fletchling. As such, switch it in on Flying(dash)types as often as possible. However, be careful of Pokemon which that may carry super(remove dash)effective coverage moves, such as Earthquake Archen. Additionally, you must play incredibly carefully when facing a team which features Diglett, as a Fletchling U-turn into it will spell instant doom for Shinx. Try to abuse Intimidate as much as possible while being aware of Pawniard, who would which will gain a Defiant boost in the event of a predicted switch. Finally, remember to make good use of Thief, as it provides Shinx with another opportunity to heal itself or an opportunity to gain additional bulk.

Team Options
========

Shinx is completely ineffective against Ground(dash), Grass(dash), and Electric(dash)types such as Drilbur and Chinchou, aside from hitting them with Toxic. As such, bulky Grass(dash)types such as Foongus and Eviolite Snover form strong defensive cores with Shinx by beating those Ground(dash), Grass(dash), and Electric(dash)types., and Shinx returns the favor by eliminating the Flying(dash)types that hurt them those Grass type teammates. Because Shinx can remove Flying(dash)types, it pairs well offensively with bulky Fighting(dash)types such as Timburr; these teammates provide insurance against Pawniard should your opponent make a crafty double switch. Finally, anything that values Intimidate support—specifically, setup sweepers—can benefit from Shinx's utility. For example, Snivy is a bit frail physically on the physical side, and thus enjoys Shinx's support; it also forms a Shinx / Grass-type core like the ones mentioned above.

Other Options
########

If you dislike recoil, you could run Spark over Wild Charge; however, Shinx is incredibly weak and Spark misses out on many important KOs. Thief can also be replaced by one of Ice Fang or Fire Fang for better attacking coverage. Specifically, Ice Fang helps Shinx not be totally demolished by Diglett, and Fire Fang does good damage against Ferroseed and Snover; however, the damage is so pitiful in other cases that Volt Switching out would almost always be a better option. Replacing Thief would also remove much of Shinx's staying power and utility. If you'd like to mix up the set, Shinx has access to Guts and can thus perform decently as a status absorber, but this set is generally outclassed by Timburr. Finally, Shinx can hit 17 Attack and 14 Speed and has access to a pivoting move; as such, it can somewhat viably run a Choice Scarf set. However, its attacks have low Base Power and shallow coverage, leaving it generally outclassed.

Checks & Counters (fix line breaks)
########

**Ground Types/Electric ImmunitiesPokemon Immune to Electric**: Electric(dash)immune Pokemon are unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and Wild Charge, making them excellent Shinx counters. Additionally, Ground-types such as Drilbur can OHKO Shinx even through Intimidate.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers don't mind Intimidate, (remove comma) and can thus exploit Shinx's poor Special Defense; this issue is augmented when using Berry Juice Shinx. Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to its Electric resistance and immunity to Toxic.

**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into, and anything with recovery easily deals with it, especially Timburr, who which benefits from Thunder Wave and Toxic due to Guts and sets up on it. Shinx also struggles with Porygon and other particularly bulky Pokemon, who which don't really mind anything Shinx throws at them.
Dashes are lame and hard and terrible, implemented, thanks P Squared!

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
[Overview]

Shinx is the only Pokemon in Little Cup with access to Intimidate and a pivoting move, giving it a niche as a physically defensive pivot. Thanks to Intimidate and its Electric typing, it is also an incredibly reliable counter to good at beating Fletchling and other Flying-types, which it can reliably counter. (optional, improves readibility imo) Pure Electric typing is a mixed bag for Shinx; it is only weak to one type, but it only resists three. Shinx's poor base stats and sparse movepool leave it unable to do anything outside of its specific niche, and it faces heavy competition from most other Electric-types. Shinx is additionally hindered by its lack of recovery moves, forcing it to use Berry Juice in order to repeatedly fill its niche.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

========

Wild Charge nets KOs on the Flying-types Shinx counters. Thief allows Shinx to steal a foe's item once its Berry Juice is gone and offers general neutral coverage. Volt Switch is only present for pivoting purposes and is very weak due to negative investment. Toxic allows Shinx to cripples bulky switch-ins that don't mind its Electric-type attacks, while Thunder Wave potentially cripples fast switch-ins, though Thunder Wave is generally less useful than Toxic.

Set Details
========

The EVs provided maximize Shinx's HP and Defense in order to take advantage of Intimidate as much as possible. A 0 Speed IVs and a negative nature help Shinx function better as a pivot, as it underspeeds a majority of other pivots and thus can switch after the foe. Berry Juice provides Shinx with the recovery it otherwise lacks; Eviolite is somewhat redundant due to Intimidate but also boosts Shinx's Special Defense, though the longevity Berry Juice provides is generally more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Shinx's job is to beat physical attackers, specifically Flying-types such as Fletchling. As such, switch it in on Flying-types as often as possible. However, be careful of Pokemon that may carry super-(remove hyphen, add space)effective coverage moves, such as Earthquake Archen. Additionally, you must play incredibly carefully when facing a team which that features Diglett, as a Fletchling U-turn into it will spell instant doom for Shinx. Try to abuse Intimidate as much as possible while being aware of Pawniard, which will gain a Defiant boost in the event of a predicted switch. Finally, remember to make good use of Thief, as it provides Shinx with another opportunity to steal an item for healing itself or an opportunity to gain additional bulk.

Team Options
========

Shinx is completely ineffective against Ground-, Grass-, and Electric-types such as Drilbur and Chinchou, aside from being able to hitting them with Toxic. Bulky Grass-types such as Foongus and Eviolite Snover form strong defensive cores with Shinx by beating those Ground-, Grass-, and Electric-types, and Shinx returns the favor by eliminating the Flying-(hyphen)types that hurt them. Because Shinx can remove Flying-types, it pairs well offensively with bulky Fighting-types such as Timburr; these teammates provide insurance against Pawniard should your opponent make a crafty double switch. Finally, anything that values Intimidate support — specifically, setup sweepers — can benefit from Shinx's utility. For example, Snivy is a bit frail physically, and thus enjoys Shinx's support; it also forms a Shinx / Grass-type core like the ones mentioned above.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

If you dislike recoil, you could run Spark over Wild Charge; however, Shinx is incredibly weak and Spark misses out on many important KOs. Thief can also be replaced by Ice or Fire Fang for better attacking coverage. Specifically, Ice Fang helps Shinx not be totally demolished by Diglett, and Fire Fang does good damage against Ferroseed and Snover; however, the damage is so pitiful in other cases that Volt Switching out would almost always be a better option. Replacing Thief would also remove much of Shinx's staying power and utility. If you'd like to mix up the set, Shinx has access to Guts and can thus perform decently as a status absorber, but this set is generally outclassed by Timburr. Finally, Shinx can hit 17 Attack and 14 Speed and has access to a pivoting move; as such, it can somewhat viably run a Choice Scarf set. However, its attacks have low Base Power and shallow coverage, leaving it generally outclassed.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Pokemon Immune to Electric**: Electric immune Pokemon are unaffected by Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, and Wild Charge, making them excellent Shinx counters. Additionally, Ground-types such as Drilbur can OHKO Shinx even through after Intimidate's Attack drop.
**Special Attackers**: Special attackers don't mind Intimidate and can thus exploit Shinx's poor Special Defense; however, this issue is augmented when using Berry Juice Shinx. Magnemite is particularly dangerous due to its Electric resistance and immunity to Toxic.
**Bulky Attackers**: Shinx is easily switched into, and anything with recovery easily deals with it, especially Timburr, which benefits from Thunder Wave and Toxic due to Guts and sets up on it Shinx. Shinx also struggles with Porygon and other particularly bulky Pokemon, which don't really mind anything Shinx throws at them.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)