Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

I've hatched like 400 Aron with no shiny and I have the shiny charm. However, in a couple hours in the friend safari I've found 3 shiny Mightyena. Looking for an Absol in there. Anyone wanna trade?

got shiny absol :)

Last edited:
Updated post (169) and spreadsheet. If you don't feel like going back to page 7, I've hatched 1100 eggs so far with only one shiny.

EDIT: Just got a shiny ralts from egg 915, so I'll edit the excell sheet and my orig post again before I start Larvesta.

glarg : I collected the mons on the GTS as I was hatching for shinies. I take my 3DS with me everywhere, the car, the bus...I usually don't even sleep till 2-4 am, so getting the mons wasn't terribly hard outside of the legends.

Last edited:
Masuda method w/ shiny charm
Breeding 2000 eggs.
JP 6iv Scrafty and US 6iv Dratini
100-No shinies
200-No shinies
300-No shinies
400-No shinies
500-no shinies
Switch to 6iv JP ditto.
600-no shinies
700- no shinies
800- no shinies

Last edited:
Hey, I was just thinking, the original poster says "Therefore, I will assume the chance of hatching a Masuda Method shiny in X/Y is 6/4096 (=3/2048)." How confident are we that this is the actual MM shiny rate (without shiny charm) though? I mean it was lowered in Gen 5 wasn't it? Isn't it plausible that they lowered it again?
They actually raised it in Gen 5, not lowered. And we are not confident (unless I missed something).

They actually raised it in Gen 5, not lowered. And we are not confident (unless I missed something).
Yeah, my mistake. I meant raised. I just mean even if we do all this testing we won't be able to tell if it is actually shiny charm influencing the shiny rate will we? Shouldn't a test be done to determine the likelihood of getting shinies in gen 6 with just Masuda's Method but not shiny charm?

Just hatched my Shiny Storm Drain Lileep. The def IV is a little disappointing, but I'm going to move on to HA Qwilfish and I'll return to Lileep a little later. Updating my post / spreadsheet now.

After a few weeks of on and off breeding, I've finally finished my pledge out 1,000 eggs of varying Pokemon. Out of 1000 eggs, I got a total of...drum roll, please.....1 shiny! T_T Judging from this outcome, it seems the odds aren't in my favor. However, that will not stop me from trying to do the impossible! I'm going to renew my vows by pledging an additional 1,000 eggs! Here's to good fortune in the Shiny Charm study!

yo i finally got a 6iv ditto. its a foreign pokemon from japan. now im going to start breeding a shiny tynamo. i might do a full box of tynamos

Pledging to do batches of 30 eggs at a time, not stopping once I get a shiny. Reporting back after each batch of eggs :) I have the shiny charm and am doing MM with my 6 IV Japanese Ditto and an English Cyndaquil. (editing this post once I get through each batch)
Should I add myself to the spreadsheet?

EDIT: Gonna do batches of 120 eggs, so I'm gonna edit the results into batches of 120.

Batch 1: (120 eggs): 1 shiny Cyndaquil
Batch 2: (240 eggs): 2 shiny Shinx
Batch 3: (360 eggs): no shiny
Batch 4: (480 eggs): no shiny
Batch 5: (600 eggs): no shiny
Batch 6: (720 eggs): no shiny
Batch 7: (840 eggs): 1 shiny Meditite
Batch 8: (960 eggs): 1 shiny Feebas
Batch 9: (1080 eggs): no shiny
Batch 10: (1200 eggs): no shiny
Batch 11: (1320): no shiny
Batch 12: (1440 eggs): 1 shiny Cottonee
Batch 13: (1560 eggs): 1 shiny Buneary
Batch 14: (1680 eggs): no shiny
Batch 15: (1800 eggs): 1 shiny Cherubi
Batch 16: (1920 eggs): no shiny
Batch 17: (2040 eggs): no shiny
Batch 18: (2160 eggs): 1 shiny Eevee (for umbreon)
Batch 19: (2280 eggs): 2 shiny Stunky
Batch 20: (2400 eggs): no shiny
Batch 21: (2520 eggs): no shiny
Batch 22: (2640 eggs): 1 shiny Deerling
Batch 23: (2760 eggs): no shiny
Batch 24: (2880 eggs): no shiny
Batch 25: (3000 eggs): no shiny
Batch 26: (3120 eggs): no shiny

Total: 3120 eggs, 12 shiny

Last edited:
Where do you guys find the time to get EVERY single pokemon?
It really isn't as difficult as you would expect since you can search for pokemon that you have not seen before on the GTS. It took me just over a week to go from 200ish to complete.

EDIT: Looks like the spreadsheet needs fixing, someone has deleted half of the results.

Last edited:
Been editing with progress, but just to post again, I've now finished my 1,000 eggs and ended up with 3 shinies total (#63, #388 and #918)

There are some other shinies I want to go for though, how could I go about that without contributing unbiased data since I'd just stop as soon as I get my target?

But how the heck u guys managed to get all the legendaries without pokebank being available?
I got ahold of one and just chained them through the GTS, I don't have them all in my boxes, but I got the data- I think I got a Dialga first for something not that rare, and just offered up each one that I got for the next one I needed

I have the Shiny Charm and a perfect Japanese Ditto.

Currently Breeding: Shiny Helioptile
IV Breeding: Yes
Parent 1: Japanese Ditto (31/31/31/31/31/31)
Parent 2: My English Helioptile (31/x/31/31/31/31)

I'll be breeding continuously for my perfect quint Helioptile, but I record the amount of eggs and what shinies appear.

My Thoughts
I actually think the Shiny Charm DOES effect Masuda Method. I have never got this insanely lucky with these streaks of shinies before.
Prior to getting the Shiny Charm, or even Instacheck, I would naturally breed shinies without care for IVs. So, my record is this-
Shortest Shiny Hatch: Shiny Goomy at 23 Hatches
Longest Shiny Hatch: Shiny Froakie at 1909 Hatches

Right now, under 300 hatches, I got three shiny Helioptiles (though reject IVs), not including the one I hatched before I started recording hatches. The one shiny Helioptile was bred shortly after I began recording hatches BTW. Whether it be by insane luck or work of the Shiny Charm is basically one's opinion.

As a patient MM Breeder, I think the Shiny Charm helps the shiny factor in MM Breeding.

Edit 1: On egg 26, I got a shiny Helioptile, but it doesn't have the correct IVs.
Edit 2: On egg 42, I got another shiny Helioptile, but again, it didn't have correct IVs.
Edit 3: On egg 279, I got my third shiny Helioptile, but once again, it didn't have correct IVs.
Edit 4: I'm at egg 455, in a shiny drought right now.
Edit 5: I'm currently at 590 hatches, still in a shiny drought. I refuse to give up, until I have my correctly quint shiny Helioptile.
Edit 6: At egg 711, I got my forth shiny Helioptile, BUT INCORRECT IVS.
Edit 7: Climbing past 920 hatches, still haven't got my correct shiny Helioptile.
Edit 8: Past 1160 hatches, and apparently in another shiny drought.
Edit 9: At egg 1287, I got my fifth shiny Helioptile, ending my longest shiny drought. HOWEVER, it missed the Speed IV.
Edit 10: Going past 1580 hatches. I'm afraid I might be in a third shiny drought.
Edit 11: Over 1820 hatches. I'm in another shiny drought. -3-
Edit 12: It's been over 800 hatches since my shiny egg at 1287. My game is BSing me now.
Edit 13: At egg 2340, my shiny drought finally ended. Not only that, this shiny Helioptile has all the correct IVs, 31/x/31/31/31/31. I'm ending my breeding spree now.

Last edited:
JAP male 5IV Gastly x ENG female 5IV Solosis

Batch of 100 eggs: no shiny

JAP 6IV Ditto x ENG female 5IV Tentacool

Batch of 100 eggs: no shiny.

Luck abandoned me.... Updated research sheet. Going to try now for a shiny bold Rotom.

Update: egg 325 was shiny. Another 5 iv modest squirtle but this time missing def -.- I updated the spreadsheet and will continue hatching eggs till i get the right IVs lmao >.>

EDIT: I keep looking at the spreadsheet and someone keeps changing everything to black. Why is that?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)